Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Back to school

"so there's me, sitting peacefully on the couch reading as usual.Then a sudden explosion from down stairs shock me from my seat." Ricky is an ordinary girl who worries about oridinary things but her happy life is about to be turned upside-down

Chapter 2 - Back to school

Chapter 2 - Back to school
After several hours of fruitless tossing i gave up on sleep. so i got out of bed and go to the kitchen for a glass of milk. school tomorrow. i don't have to tell you that i hate it because most people do, but its better than being at home with my messy noisy mosterously large family. i sighed and listened for a while to the sounds of my family sleeping over the sounds of the highway that is parked sight outsie our front door. a loud noise from outside, however, destracted me from the sounds of snorring and skidding vehicles. Was it Blake coming home? at this time at night, or should i say, morning? so i look out of the window and onto the street below to see some ruddy drunks vadalising the side of our house! "Oi! Get out of it!!!" Yeah, like they'd listen to me!
"Get lost white girl!" They yell back up to me (or words to that effect).
"My dads' a coppa, i'll wake him if you dont piss off!" An empty threat but it was worth a shot. My dad wasn't a cop at all. he was an engineer, same as Blake. "Go wake him, we'll smash him ae!"
"Smash him my @$$! you'll be in jail before you know it!" And with that i disapeared so it would look like i'd gone to wake my father when really, i'd done nothing of the sort. i drained the last of my milk, picked up a pen off the table and began to doodle on my wrist. After finishing my rose fake tatoo i stood up to see if the drunks had left. they had.

Morning came swiftly and i was woken from my nightmears about school and related topics by my sister's sharp prod. "Wake up, your sitting on my seat." Aparently i was still sitting at the table with an empty cup in hand an the imprint of my fake tatoo on my left cheek. And, i was late for school. five minutes later i was running down the street, pass the half graffeeted garage door with a piece of toast in my mouth. Skirt flying around my waist, hair loosly tied in a messy bun and a small smile playing around my lips as i ran to the bus stop and to my friend Patrick. This was my first day back after the mid year break but every else had been back a week more than i because, as i said before, i was sick. "Wagging the first week of the term isn't a good way to get on our new english teacher's good side"
"And hello to you too" I smiled at him. It was good to see a friendly face after spending the week sick it bed listening to my rawing family. "What was that about a new english teacher?" I asked.
"Mr Taper left at the end of last term remember? His marage broke up so he moved. we have a lady called Miss Brown now."
"A nice common name. Whats' she like?"
"Quite cute actually." I rolled my eyes.
"Boys." i muttered under my breath as the bus pulled up to our stop. Patrick must have heard me though because he gave me a playful shove as i hopped on the bus.

We chose a seat near the back of the bus and Patrick filled me in with what has happened since the end of last term. When the bus stopped outside the school we joined the rush of students exiting the bus and walked towards our seating area. our bus was always at school at least an hour before the bell because we live in an area were a bus could be...delayed somewhat by unwanted drunks or vandals. We reached our spot and it was only then did i realise that Patrick had grown a lot taller over the month or so that we had spent apart. He was a lot hansomer too. He had had a haircut so his usual curly black mop of hair was now shorter, more wavy than curly and was framed around his face which made his green eyes stand out. his face was broader and his chin more man-like. he was a head taller than me now and his sholders were broad. he gave me his small corner-of-the-mouth smile than always brought on a smile of my own. "What are you looking at Rick?"
"You" i answer and gave him a playful shove which he returned.
"Why are you looking at me?"
"Because you have changed Patrick David Harrison."
"So have you Rhona Georgia-Rose Stanley"
I poke out my tongue. "Don't use my middle name and don't call me Rhona! And...me? Changed? how?"
"You're a lot shorter." And we laugh. "No actually," He smiles down at me. "You're a little taller, and a lot prettyer."
I shoved him again. He always jokes like that. And he can always always get a smile out of me. Even when i've been crying or when i'm upset. Ever since i can remember hes' been there to make me smile, like that was what he was put on the earth to do or something. When we were kids he once even ate worms to stop me from crying when i hurt my ankle on the jungle gym. He has, and always will be, my best mate. "What'd you do in the holidays?" Patrick interupted my train of thought.
"Now that would be telling!" I cocked my head to one side and he raised an eyebrow. I couldn't help it, his one raised eyebrow always made me laugh. He laughed with me, long and hard. But our laughter was cut short by the bell. i sighed, "What do we have first?"
"English."
"Ah, with Miss Brown was it?" It was my turn to raise an eyebrow and he laughed.
"That woman has stolen my heart!" He exclaimed dramatically.
"I didn't know you had one to steal."
"I do, it's just hard to find." I shook my head. If there is one thing i'll never forget about Patrick, It's how big hs heart is.
"Oi! You two! Get to class now!!!"
"Sure thing Mr Bork." I answered politely but i wasn't being so polite to him in my head. I hated that teacher nearly as much as he hated me. Patrick pulled me to class as I made rude gestures to the back of Mr Bork's head.

School. Mental torture chamber, social deathtrap, bordom breeder, and, amoung other things, just plain horrible. I was doodling in my maths book. It was only the second lesson of my first day back and i was already dying. First lesson had been cool. I liked Miss Brown a lot, I could easily see why Patrick had a crush on her. She was young, funny, pretty and made English fun. i wish there was a teacher who could do that with maths. As if the sky decided to reflect my emotions, it began to rain.

The time came when the bell signalling the start of intervil finally rang. i met Patrick by the library (because he was in a different maths class) and we headed towards our spot. That took a while because we both stopped to talk to people on the way. Somewhere near the tuck shop we met up with Alex and her new boyfriend, Steven. "Hi Alex."
"Hi Ricky, Pat." Patrick aknowledged the greating with a lazy hand gesture. I wondered if that was because he didn't like Steven very much and thought little of the two being together, or because he simply hated being called 'Pat'. I decided it was a bit of both. "So what did you get up to in the holidays?" I asked politely, as if i didn't already know.
"I hooked up with Steven." I rolled my eyes. "So tell me Ricky," she ventured. "When are you and Pat gonna get together, or is it a secret?" She got the finger for that. Patrick and I are just mates and it'll stay that way. Even the thought made my tummy turn. Not because Patrick is repulsive, because we've been friends for so long it'd just be....weird!

After that, we reached our spot with minamal fuss. Our spot or 'meeting area' was beautiful. We had defended it all the years we've been at this school and it was easy to see why. Under the sheltered area were two benches surrounded in grass and oposite a drinking fountain.But the main feature of our area was the old oak tree that grew in the middle, depicting just how old our school was. That tree has been our pride and joy since we first arrived at the school as primary kids. Heather field high went right through from five-year-olds to eighteen-year-old so everyone knew everyone. The school was also situated in a semi-rural area so, while you get cows and sheep right next to your Art classroom, its only a two minute walk into town. You also get vandals from town poping in from time to time to let us know that they still enjoyed smashing things and painting rude pictures on the principle's office wall. The best of both worlds. Some people might not like it but i wouldn't have it any other way. This was home to me and life was looking good from where i was standing, that was, until I got home that evening.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment