Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Recovery

Making a daring escape from the villainous Mothers through a portal to a new world, the teens find themselves ever more intricately woven into its affairs. Can Zee and Abel find a way to defeat Darisan, and thus fufill her prophecy?

Chapter 3 - Recovery

Chapter 3 - Recovery
Zee was breath taken.
‘Where…am…I…’ Standing on a sandy beach with Abel next to her gasping like a fish, Zee felt strangely… good. She flopped down onto the white sand, wondering.
“Zee, where are we?” Abel asked it more as a question to break the silence, for he knew already that she herself did not know either. He was gazing around, staring at the blue sky and green sea behind them. Zee stammered.
“I…I don’t know” She looked up, only to find that Abel too had sat down.
“Well at least it’s sunny out” Abel murmured, still looking up.
“What a beautiful sky it is” Zee remarked.
“And clean” Abel added. Both sat under the bright sun for several minutes before Abel noticed there was not only a sun, but it appeared that there were also two moons in the sky.
“Zee! Look at that!” Abel pointed towards their right, nearer to the horizon. “It appears that there are moons that appear in the day time here” Both gawked for a moment. Indeed, there were two moons in the sky, one yellow and one a more red color that appeared to give it a pink hue. They sat side by side in the sky.
“Amazing…” That was the only word Zee could utter. Both ex-orphans sat on the beach, admiring the settings around them. Before long, their stomachs began to rumble and their mouths began to parch.
“Come on Abel, we should find something to eat” Zee stood and brushed herself off and assisted in helping Abel rise also. “More importantly, water” They wandered close to the gentle surf, skirting it, searching for a stream that might lead into the ocean. They had not gone far before Zee sighted something.
“Abel! Look!” Zee stared wide-eyed with fright.
“What? Water?” Abel peeked over Zee’s shoulder. His face assumed the same expression. In unison, they turned their backs and fled with the haste of all the wind.

The Breva sentry was out patrolling the Kopian grounds surrounding the tribes’ village. As he was peeking through a grove of trees, he saw what appeared to be children, a boy and girl staring quite stupidly looking at the sky as if they had been in a cage all their lives. Judging by their clothes, which were ragged and torn, he thought they must have been in a cage. As he thought this was strange and knew that they had not been there on his last round, he went to fetch the chief.
Chief Kuorega was very puzzled and gathered a party to go and investigate the strange circumstances, himself leading it.
Turning out of the secluded shelter of the forest tropical floral, he immediately saw them. True to what the sentry had said, they were most definitely foreigners, probably flotsam from a recent wreck. Kuorega scanned the seas surface, and seeing no hint to what direction they had assailed from, he assumed Magic was at work. He noticed they were walking quite close to the surf as if searching, most likely looking for a source of clean water.
He ordered the party to continue in their direction with the peace flag raised. He knew that if they were in need, surely they would turn to them for assistance if they were peaceful.

They ran hard, feet pounding in the sinking sand.
“Who…were…they?” Abel panted through strangled breaths. Both were unused to rigorous exercise. Nearly jumping over the creek in their path, they turned and followed it into the dense jungle, which consumed them whole. Immediately their bodies were swarmed with overwhelming senses.
The change from light to darkness nearly blinded them. Stumbling, they halted until their sight returned to them.
Blinking, Zee looked around, noting the ever-forest greens and blossoming reds of heavy fruits, hanging just out of reach.
“Should we keep going… or have we lost them?” Abel was doubled over, grasping his knees for support. His forehead dripped with perspiration, from the hard exercise and the humidity the plant life gave off. Zee nodded to keep going, she was just out of breath as he was.
Instead of continuing on at their breakneck speed, they stumbled into the growth at a pace that barely kept them in motion.
Staying as close as possible to the small stream, they refreshed themselves every once in a while. What seemed like several hours later, their rumbling stomachs caught the best of them. They stopped at one point where the palm fruits were low enough to grab and eat. Biting into a bright scarlet fruit, pink juice poured from its porous flesh. Both Zee and Abel gorged themselves to the brim.
“Augh…that was great” Abel patted his over stuffed girth, sitting up against the fuzz covered trunk of the tree he had been harvesting. “Never have I had such wonderful food!” Zee agreed.
After sitting awhile, they felt wholly good and much better. Getting ready to set off once again into unknown territory, Zee attempted to stagger to her feet, but only crashed back down. Stunned, her mouth gaped like a stranded fish.
“I can’t stand up, my legs won’t support me!” Zee stared at her immobile limbs. “Now I can’t even move them!” She sounded panicked. Abel also tried, but having gorged himself more than Zee, his legs refused to budge. After much struggling, Abel’s eyes began to droop, and he began muttering to himself incomprehensibly.
“Abel! Abel oh Abel, what’s wrong?!” Zee was shaking his shoulders, crying in his ears. Suddenly, her fingers slipped, and she collapsed next to him. She felt ever so tired, and she knew she wasn’t going to make it. She tried sitting up, and was feeling even more helpless by the second. Her last memory as she slipped from consciousness was Surprise, wriggling out of her pocket and scurrying off into the underbrush.

Seeing the children flee at the sight of them, Chief Kuorega knew not to pursue them. Peace flag or not, he knew the tribe was frightening in numbers. He ordered everyone back to the village and told scouts to begin looking when the three moons were at their peak. Anxious to learn where they had come from and where they were going, Kuorega decided to burn off the apprehension and go hunting with the younger warriors.

Zee woke with a splitting headache pounding in her ears. Squinting, she tried to gain her bearings. Even moving her head slightly made waves of nausea flood her thoughts. She forced herself to take deep breaths, calming her unnerved stomach. But even after several minutes of rest, Abel refused to stir from his slumber as well. She knew it was night by now, seeing the difference in the light, even below in the dim interiors of the tropic forest. She vaguely remembered that Surprise had gone off, and it perked her up slightly.
“Surprise?” Zee called softly, even knowing a lizard wouldn’t respond like a common dog. As she knew, the only reply was silence, not even a rustle of leaves.
“Wha--?” Zee rubbed her eyes, ‘Am I seeing things?’ she rubbed her eyes again, ‘No, it’s definitely there’ She watched as a small shape flitted over to perch on Zee’s shoulder. The little shape screeched something, and seemed to be demonstrating a form of charades. Zee peered closer in the darkness, ‘A fairy! But aren’t they supposed to have butterfly wings?’ It was a slim figure of a girl, covered in a reptilian garb that seemed to mold into her skin. She had a short crop of uneven black hair, tangled with layers of small leaves and twigs. Her wings were similar to a bat’s, giving her an eerie appearance. She screeched something, but this time, instead of hearing screams, Zee understood her.
“Surprise? How? You’re a fairy?” Surprise was chittering on too fast for Zee’s comprehension, so she grasped Zee by a strand of hair and pulled her over into a little grove of trees where an amazingly beautiful flower stood in full bloom. As they watched a small bee came by and landed inside the flower, preparing to gather its nectar, but in an instant its petals twirled shut, and the bee was trapped inside for a full minute. When the flower finally opened, another little fairy emerged like Surprise, except it had bumble bee wings, and was dressed in a fuzzy yellow and black garment.
“Wow, so you were stuck in there? And now you’re a fairy?” Zee was breathtaken. “Amazing…”

Abel was sore all over, no matter what position he was in, he felt intense pain.
“Zee…” He called weakly to her. She didn’t seem to hear him. She was staring at something off to their right. He heard small screeches in the air, and it pierced his ears.
“Zee…” He tried again to call her but to no avail. Exhausted even from speaking, he fell asleep once more.

Zee cast a worried glance at Abel’s pallored face.
‘Poor Abel…’ She patted his hand comfortingly. She attempted several times to gain her footing, using the tree as support. Falling down several times, she continued until she was able to walk at least a few feet. A couple of minutes later, as she was walking circles, an enormous pulse throbbed from somewhere deep in the thick foliage. She knew in an instant that only she felt its presence.
“Surprise, watch over Abel for me” Zee stepped forward confidently, feeling overflowed with full awareness. Continuous throbs of…emotion kept pulsating like an enormous heart, reaching only Zee’s body. She cautiously made her way towards the creek. Step by step, Zee managed to advance to a large boulder that was nearly sitting the creek bed. It was cool and smooth, much different than the other life in the humid biome, all rough or fuzzy.
Zee rested there a moment, feeling the cool surface, and the warm throbs that continued their steady beat from the leafy mass on the other side of the stream. Zee glanced around and saw a fallen log that lay across the stream not far away, several feet above the swirling waters. Deciding it was better than getting wet, she made her way over to it. Up close, the log was much bigger and hollow throughout. It was moss covered and slick from the moisture. Zee took a couple of tentative steps on top, making sure the wood would hold her weight. Satisfied, she carried on, her hands outstretched to either side for balance.
‘Closer, closer. I’m almost there…’ Zee’s foot slipped, and her leg twisted from under her. Frantic for a moment, she flung her arms around, and feeling a draping vine, she grabbed it. Her arm was nearly wrenched from its socket as the rest of her body was pulled downwards. She looked around, and saw the opposite side of the creek was only a yard or so away. Thinking, Zee reached up with her other arm as well, and swung back and forth on the hopefully sturdy vine. She gradually gained enough momentum to swing across.
“One…two…”She felt the vine begin to break and tear and hurriedly released her hold. Her feet landed solidly in the firm soil. “Now where to?” Zee closed her eyes and felt the throbs blur together, forming a vibration. “Over there, it’s getting so close now” She let her feet guide her, slowly with measured steps. Every time she felt the soft earth beneath her scarred feet, the vibrating got stronger, and felt inclined to go faster, and she could only agree with herself.
She trotted along, up until the vibrating had turned to a humming. All of a sudden it started to quiet, wanting it not to stop, Zee began to run and it ceased all together. Halting, Zee turned back. Again, it turned to a deep hum, and in time, it grew softer.
Going back and forth several times, she finally ended up standing before an enormous bushy fern that towered several feet higher than Zee’s five foot six.
“It isn’t coming from the plant, is it?” Zee carefully pulled back the leaves and looked around its middle. She looked down near its base, and gaped open mouthed.
Lying glittering in the tropical atmosphere was a perfect sphere of swirling coils of mist. It was larger than her head, and about as big around as a small pumpkin. Staring, she watched, and with every gentle breeze, the shifting patterns seemed to flow with it, adding to its illusioned appearance.
She noticed the deep humming had stopped, but the emotions continued to flow from the orb. Zee reached out her fingers to caress its smooth surface, and found invigorating pleasure in doing so, feeling as if a shock of energy had jolted her.
Then she had a wonderful idea. She reached into the gargantuan plant and grasped the orb, dragging it out into the open. Cradling it in her arms, she turned back to go and wake up Abel.
Zee took extra care not to slip on the trunk, checking her balance and using the vines above for support. Thankfully, she managed to get across safely this time. She walked towards Abel, holding the orb in front of her.

The Breva scout was following the faint sound of footsteps and constant moaning. He crept quietly over and through the tangled vines and fuzz trunks, avoiding certain plants here and there. Having been keeping so aware of his surroundings, he almost stepped directly in front of one of the children, the boy it seemed. He appeared to have eaten too much of the smussa fruit, for he looked quite drowsy, and had the face of one with an enormous stomach ache. Wanting to take both children, he restrained himself from revealing himself and hid behind the tree the boy was leaning on. He had not seen the second child yet, but it was no doubt she would return soon.
She did come, and she appeared to be carrying a light source in front of her, though he didn’t see what. She went straight for her companion, as the scout suspected. He took this as his opportunity and stepped from behind the tree, though much to his surprise, the girl did not scream at his considerable size compared to hers. She was terrified though. Before the girl could run away he walked straight for her and grasped her shoulders, forcing eye-contact.
He began asking questions, but she only shook her head, making him increasingly frustrated. Then she began to talk and he realized she spoke English, a language only known to higher classmen and elders old enough to remember. He began to pull her away, but she held firm and pointed towards her friend. Sighing, he bent down and hefted the boy over his shoulders. He pointed at her and then at the forest, she nodded and they started off.
He glanced back several times at the girl, and he could have sworn he had seen a strange type of sprixi settled next to the girl’s ear, which apparently seemed to be conversing with it.

Zee was terrified of the man, who seemed to tower over her. He seemed to be twice her size with deeply tanned skin and a fierce face with dark slanted eyes. He seemed intent on squeezing some sort of information out of her, his face set in determination. He gripped her shoulders with bear strength. When he began to speak, it seemed as if he was speaking English, but muddled with a strange accent.
“Whara du yuo cuna phrun?” He spoke very distinctly and she knew it was not English he was speaking, so she only shook her head. He seemed puzzled, then spoke again.
“Whara era yuo guimg?” She shook her head again, but once again he spoke.
“Du yuo maad essistemea?” This time, Zee told him she couldn’t understand him. He shook his head as she spoke, and started to pull her away, into the forest. Zee dug her heels into the ground, forcing him to turn around. She pointed to Abel with the hand not supporting the orb behind her back. Much to her surprise, he picked up his limp form. To show that was what she wanted, she nodded to him as he made motions to show he wanted to go deeper into the forest. Quietly they crept into the thick vegetation, with Surprise chittering in her ear, reminding her that it was not so safe in a place like this, and following a stranger. But Zee quickly reminded her it was better than being in an orphanage or being alone, and she did not have an answer to that.

Abel felt like screaming. His belly was on fire and his head continued to throb. He saw Zee leave, and also saw her return, with something bright in her hands. But it was all slurred together, mixing with his imagination, because he saw a fairy a strange man and fuzzy trees.
He sat, as the strange man from fiction attempted to communicate to Zee, but he knew she could not understand him.
Almost too suddenly he was jerked from his position and thrown over the strange mans shoulders, who was becoming very real all of a sudden. He was fighting to stay conscious with the overwhelming feeling of vomiting and dizziness, when they began to walk.

Zee was unsure of this man, almost as unsure as she was of here. From a safe distance behind, but not too far from Abel, she eyed him warily.
Glancing down, she gazed at the swirling patterns of the orb, encompassing it even more tightly. Surprise wheeled around her face and tried to comfort Zee, sitting on her shoulder from time to time.
Confused, she kept her eyes glued to the forest floor, watching her step in case of anymore odd objects she might pass. It seemed forever ago that she was in an orphanage, even though its memories still were imprinted on her mind. It was just that so many strange and wonderful things have happened in a short period of time, she felt inclined to believe it has always been this way. She gave a sigh; she didn’t know what to really believe anymore. She continued to stare at the ground.
‘Everything has become so unreal’

Chief Kuorega returned refreshed and invigorated with a great sense of pride. The hunt had been successful and thrilling, as well as relieving, to be able to replenish the low meat supply. Now he almost swelled as one of the scouts returned with both of the children.
The village people crowded around as they walked through the mob towards the chief, many of them silent. The scout walked quickly with the boy swung over his shoulders, while the girl followed close behind.
‘What is it she’s clutching?’ Both children seemed underfed, ragged, and appeared to be in their early teens. The chief regarded them, thinking what was to be done with them.
The scout halted before Kuorega, setting the boy down beside him. He gave the village salute of greeting and well being, taking his right hand with his three outstretched fingers, painting them down his face starting at his forehead. Kuorega returned the salute, and exchanged several words with the scout. Nodding the scout ran off into the village, taking Abel with him.

“Greetings, my name is Kuorega, Chief of the Kopian Breva tribe.” The man that had been conversing with scout addressed Zee in a firm and yet soft voice, gentleman like. Zee had the impulse to reply.
“My name is Zenith, an ex-orphan” Zee gazed directly into his eyes, enjoying the comfort he had for her there. Kuorega was a tall man as well, with the same tone of a deeply tanned skin from hard work under such a foreign sun. His head gave way to a small harvest of thick black locks that dangled above his ears. Muscles shone through his flesh around his arms and chest, and even though his body seemed strong, she could tell that he was soft as a flower.
“Come, I will show you to my quarters where we can speak in private” Kuorega turned to leave but Zee stopped him.
“What about my friend? Will he be safe?” The chief sighed again.
“Yes, he will be fine. I have sent a scout to bring him to the medicinal elder. You will see him shortly if she permits.” Cautiously Zee turned, to follow the fatherly man she knew nothing about, with only instinct to guide her.

They passed down many alley ways, merely dirt paths running between sturdy huts constructed out of the local resources. Walls of the trunks of sapling fuzzy trees and roofs covered in huge leaves of the strange plant Zee had found the orb in. Continuing down each twisted path, Zee tried to remain focused on the task at hand and not to let her mid wander too much. Every time she thought of something, a question would pop into her head and leading to another and another until she was nearly flooded with them. She hoped to disintegrate many of these after talking with the man. She continuously checked the egg, as if it would disappear from her arms.
Finally, they walked up to a hut that was slightly larger than the others on a raised platform. Leading the way inside, Kuorega had to duck to enter the doorway.
The inside was functional, with a small fire pit in the center, stacks of wood, sleeping cots, and etcetera. Zee looked long and hard at the stranger as he settled himself in a woven chair covered in many various strange hides. She merely sat on the floor.
“We shall ask each other all of our questions, and answer the others truthfully, until we are both satisfied. That way, we are both content.” He spoke, “I shall go first; my question is how did you get here?” Zee though a moment, and deciding not to tell him a lie, she told him the truth.
“I walked through a wall” Because she also had many questions, she asked him her question before he thought of another one. “Where am I?” The chief sucked in a large breath of surprise, then released it slowly.
“You are in the realm of Delëna, and more specifically, the island of Kopia in the Breva village.” He replied, “Where did you come from?”
“I came from an orphanage, because I have no parents” She shifted the orbs weight to her other arm.
“No parents?”
“None” She had never really thought about her parents, but occasionally she would wonder about them. Like what they looked like, where were they, did they love her? But these wonders were fleeting and didn’t occur often or last very long. She squeezed the orb for comfort. Now because of this man, she began to wonder again. The more she did, the more she wanted to see them once. Her eyes began to tear but she shook them off. ‘Why am I being such a wimp? It has always been this way’ Kuorega thought he had triggered some of her feelings for her lost parents and believed he had upset her. He reached over to comfort her, but she pulled away.
“Don’t touch me” She snapped. Slowly he drew his hand back.
Zee heard a rustling and turned to see two men carrying Abel in on a large mat, followed by whom she guessed to be the medicinal elder. She kept clucking to the men in the strange language as the men set Abel down near the fire.
“Nut su clusa! Gamtla! Gamtla!” She whistled at the men. ‘Poor Abel,’ Zee thought, ‘He must still be in pain, his moaning is absolutely horrid’ Indeed, Abel appeared to be going through quite a bit of inner turmoil. ‘And he ate so much of that terrible fruit’ When the two men left, the elder rummaged through her numerous packs she carried, laying out assorted containers and bottles. Her skin was darker than both of the scout’s had been, and just a tad bit shorter. But her hair was lighter, almost white, that lay like the fuzz on the trees on her head. Her fingers moved quickly, passing over Abel’s body, and several times forcing different things down his throat. When she finally seemed to be through with him, she sat back against a wall and closed her eyes. Zee wriggled over to where Abel still lay. Kuorega cleared his throat.
“Sarame, wa heva e visitor. Te buys cunpemon” The elder whom Zee assumed to be Sarame, opened one eye and looked over Zee before closing it again. After a moment or two, she spoke, seemingly directed towards Zee.
“It saans tet za hes racuvarad kicly phrun ta froit”
“Excuse me?” Zee asked very politely, hoping she knew English as well.
“My! Kuorega, why didn’t you say she spoke English in the first place?” She cast a glance in his direction, and then looked back at Zee. “Sorry, but he’s a little short on the details” She spoke with a much better accent than Kuorega did, and could understand more of what she said. She looked Zee over with intense curiousity. “I’m quite surprised you healed so quickly from the smuusa fruit – it packs quite a painful amount of poison into its flesh, usually inducing quite a long period of sleep.”
Barely several seconds had passed when Zee heard a screeching searching her out.
“Zee! Zee! Zee!” Surprise darted into the room, and flew over to Zee’s shoulder, jumping up and down excitedly. “Found you! Found you!” She clapped her hands with delight as a child would for a new toy. Zee giggled. Sarame casually glanced over, annoyed by the disturbance.
“Oh, so you have also befriended a sprixi huh? Intriguing” She seemed to close her eyes, but once again Zee interrupted.
“Actually no, when I met her she was a lizard, and when we got here, she got herself caught in a flower while we were passed out” She motioned to Abel, “She said it changed her” Sarame considered this amusing, for her lips parted to reveal her even, if slightly yellowed mouth full of teeth.
“Ah, your little friend was lucky enough to encounter a cryselis flower, huh?” she nodded, “What did you say her name was? Surprise? Cute little thing” She nodded her head satisfactorily.
Abel stirred on the cot and quickly Sarame leaned over and adjusted his blankets and applied assorted salves until he settled. Leaning back she closed her eyes.
Zee looked at the orb again, feeling it pulsating soothingly and gazing into its tantalizing patterns. Suddenly, Kuorega seemed jerked awake.
“Child! Where did you find that?” Zee looked surprised at his sudden change in demeanor, but answered as best as she could.
“Across the small stream in a large fern, that I think you use for the roofs on your huts” She held the orb more tightly, feeling the warmth and emotions. To her even greater surprise, the chief sighed a mighty heave. He muttered to himself for several seconds before speaking again. She looked down at the strange orb, caressing the shifting patterns.
“What you possess in your hands is a dragon’s egg.” He let this soak into Zee’s mind for a moment. “Every decade or so, the dragon’s mate, and an egg is laid some months later. Some species care for the egg until the hatchlings are almost mature. More common in wild breeds though, the eggs are left alone. “He took a long breath, pushing his black hair back with one hand, “Sometimes, when a hatchling is still developing inside its egg, it will find its soul partner, another being it was destined to be with. This has almost never happened in a wild species before” He shook his head in disbelief. “It then calls out to its partner, in what is described as, ‘indescribable’. When the egg has become acclimated with his or her lifestyle, it will then choose when it is the appropriate time for it to hatch. Most often they come out when their name has been found or their partner has for them” He paused to massage his temples for a moment, unaccustomed to so much of the English language. Zee looked down at what now she knew to be a dragon’s egg. She felt an intense sense of pride and happiness wash over her, and she sat gazing at it. Kuorega motioned for her to stand. “Come for a moment.” They stood outside of his doorway, gazing up at the starry sky. Instead of cloudy skies and a hazy moon, Zee saw spectacular color.
In the sky, the two moons they saw on the beach were on the opposite horizon side by side still. But now their colors were so much brighter, fluorescent even. Spilling color onto the land in great billowing waves of brilliance, and both seemed exactly the same size. As she tore her gaze from the lovely sight, she noticed three more moons. One moon was directly overhead, a luminescent giant compared to the other moons. It’s blue light not quite as bright as the others, but it offered a sense of calm. Then she noticed something odd. Surprised, she took a double take at the monstrous moon. ‘Yes, that moon has its own moon!’ Indeed, there was a small pale colored moon that seemed to be hugging close to the blue beast. It appeared to have a pure white surface, unblemished of any craters.
Finally, in the most Easterly part of the horizon still in view, was the last moon Zee could see. It was barely in the sky, almost hovering in the air above the ground. It had a green glow about its appearance, and she gazed at it more. Like the others, it also appeared to have its own special trait. Encircling it, were two silver rings, crossing over each other in front like a present. The truly was an amazing night.
“What a lovely place it must be here” She breathed softly into the chilly air.
“Yes it is, It’s not often you get a glimpse at Pora or Anvy.” Kuorega was gazing just as lovingly into the night, momentarily forgetting the egg Zee clutched.
“Which ones are Pora and Anvy?” Zee asked, wishing she knew more about this place.
“Pora is the moon that encircles the planet Cretar, and Anvy is the green moon, that has such an elliptical orbit it’s hardly ever seen.”
“Tell me more!” Zee was excited to learn about this place.
“Well, see the two moons? The red one and the yellow one?” Zee nodded, “They orbit each other, and us. The red one is Harnemu and the yellow one is Harnemë. They are the brother and sister moons, and are always in the sky together. Because they orbit so slowly, they can be seen during the day as well. It is truly a magnificent sight when Cretar creeps up behind them; it makes such a wonderful palate of colors. Every two days though they can not be seen at all” he thought a moment. “Cretar is a very special planet. Delëna and itself are so close in orbit that exactly two weeks out of the year, it is possible to fly there in the rockets that Delëna derived from Earths version.”
“Rockets? Really?” Zee was amazed.
“Well, our planets have large atmospheres, so when it comes time to breakthrough into space, the Gifted do not have to keep spending such a large quantity of Magic on guiding the rockets. Because no one has actually been on an Earth rocket, they have virtually no other worldly devices inside, merely several Gifted mages using their Magic to guide it through the air and space. Normally, during the twenty day period, the two kingdoms exchange information and send over reports. Their planet is very similar to ours, except it is much colder and the inhabitants are more elegant and beautiful than anything you’ve ever seen. Though because it is so close, it blocks quite a bit of the heat rays from the Star, causing what is called the Chill. Thankfully it is only for twenty days”
“Wait a minute!” Zee held up her hands, “You said it only lasts two weeks, yet you said twenty days also. I thought a week was only seven days? Wouldn’t that mean it lasts for only…” she counted on her fingers “fourteen days?”
“No actually. I know what you’re trying to get at though. Here in Delëna, we use the same names for our time measurements, but our orbit is much slower around the Star, which is the equivalent of your Sun” He sighed, “So here, all the times are much longer than that on Earth” Zee was dumbstruck.
‘It’s even more complicated and different than I first believed!’ Kuorega sighed again,
“It’s not often all of the moons, Cretar and Pora are all in their full phase, and all in the sky at once.” He furrowed his dark brows in thought for a moment, “In fact, up to this point, it is unheard of! Tonight must be very special” he calmly stared up at the strange sky.
‘Is it Abel and me that are so special? Or is it just coincidence?’ Almost on cue, Abel staggered from out behind them, falling against her, she supported him. She saw he was about to say something, but he closed his mouth moments before, and took a step forward, entranced in the by the unusual yet beautiful night.

Subconsciously, Abel could feel himself moving, being carried on the back of some giant. He knew that he still felt pain, but he felt almost disconnected from his body, as if his soul was hovering close by.
‘Where am I? Where is the pain coming from?’ He felt himself wince as his body was placed - ever so gently onto the ground - yet still painful. After lying still for a long time, he slowly felt himself, or his soul, slowly losing its unearthly feeling and returning to his real form. It was only moments afterwards, the real pain came and the gut wrenching feeling of his stomach being pulled from his throat. He convulsed with it, and whimpered, he knew rather foolishly, but it was unbearable.
Soothing hands calmed him and he felt cool liquids sliding down his throat, easing the pain there, and making it easier for him to breathe. Quietly in the distant was the soft murmur of voices, one familiar to him but out of reach. He was at peace in total darkness, quiet alone in his mind. He felt himself drift off to sleep for a time, dozing comfortably. Against his will though, his memory danced in his eyes, reminding him he still wasn’t alone, not to forget who he came here with. The thoughts were enough to snap him to attention, thanking the heavens for the strange potions. Steadying his uneven breathing, he cautiously whisked his eyes around the room, searching for the figure of Zee. When he did not see her, he began to panic, and slowly he rose onto his elbows, minding that he didn’t jerk himself or move too quickly. He caught a glimpse of a figure dozing in the corner, paying it no heed because he knew it was not Zee. Slowly, ever so slowly, he positioned his feet underneath himself, testing them before resting his full weight on them. Staggering to the wall, he slid his feet along the ground, inch by inch towards the door. Sliding the woven fabric from his path, he stumbled outside, leaning onto the first figure that he caught sight of, thankfully Zee. She looked at him, and he was about to tell her exactly how much he was sorry and that he would be careful, but instead he followed her gaze to the heavens. Without a sound, he snapped his mouth shut, and stared at the night sky with the same serenity and peace that he had felt within himself.

The trio stood staring at the sky sometime before retreating back into the hut, Zee supporting Abel. Sarame had already made herself comfortable in one corner, her head leaning against the wall with her legs stretched out in front of her. Kuorega walked over to her and placed a woven blanket over her, without disturbing her slumber. He tossed mats to each of the children, who gladly laid them out by the fire pit, curling up underneath the surprisingly warm covers. Cradling the egg in her arms, Zee felt the comforting feeling this world emanated this strange place that she knew was beyond ‘special’. Within several minutes, she fell asleep to the soft sounds of the night and a quiet chirping that could only have come from inside the jeweled egg.

In the predawn hours in the bizarre village, Zee pushed herself onto her elbows and blearily rubbed her eyes. She slowly swung her head around the room, remembering the past events of yesterday. Clutching the egg to her chest, feeling its soft warmth, she drew the covers from her thin frame. Slowly she slid her feet across the woven mat floor, maneuvering around cots, bowls, and various furniture. Stepping outside into the near frigid air, Zee sat cross legged on the wooden slat steps to the hut. Sighing, she let herself slide into an almost unconscious state, meditating within herself for warmth, searching out her own feelings. Glancing at the sky, Zee could tell that the sunrise – or here, the ‘star-rise’ – would be just as breathtaking as the night sky. Sitting on the stairs to a chiefs hut, Zee calmly gazed on as the rising Star coated the sky with a lucent blue glaze. The wispy clouds burst into many colors, sprouting from the moist interiors, glorious rainbow that rained upon the dense thicket of tropical forest. Still calmly watching the blazing array, Zee waited until her eyes had adjusted to the new light before daring to blink.
Slowly the Star made its way into full view. She could hear the sounds of life emerging from the small hut choked village, of sleepers waking and early risers beginning their day. She looked down at the egg laying in her lap, which was silent for the time. Moments later, rustling sounds behind her alerted her that someone was approaching. Chief Kuorega strode into the morning light…and onto Zee.
“Hey!” Zee exclaimed as the Chief’s knee buried itself into her back. Stumbling to catch himself, he mumbled an incoherent apology. Momentarily forgetting the incident, Zee returned her gaze to the skies and let out a contented sigh. Seeing Zee enjoying the beauty of the unique astronomy of Delëna, Kuorega spoke up.
“Zenith, our village here has a secret bond to the Star, and every morning when it comes into view and gives this land its light and beauty, we hold a special...ceremony you could say.” He took a deep breath and looked away, pushing back his medium length of black hair. Kuorega was awkward with his words, never before had he allowed any outsiders attend the Ster Walcuna ceremony.
‘There’s something about this girl, but I can’t quite put my finger on it’ He glanced at her, quickly turning away when she looked back at him.
“It sounds interesting”

Walking briskly along the dirt paths in the village, Zee enjoyed every minutes of the clear morning air. The light from the Star gave light and beautiful colors to the hut roofs, illuminating the sheen of green to striking gold, and making the dew on the fuzzy trees glimmer and shine. Through the village they walked, almost nothing unchanged, for the houses were growing shabbier, and the people slightly more ragged, yet the scenery around them was becoming more and more stunning.
Finally, they reached small clearing ringed by some of the most broken down huts in the village. The area was free of debris of any sort, and there were groups of people milling about its center, were a lone low altar sat.
“Now, you stay here, and do as everyone does. No matter what happens, do not say anything outloud, and don’t lose the egg.” Kuorega put emphasis on the fact she musn’t let it walk off, for it was the wrong part of the village to do so. Walking to the altar, Kuorega breathed the morning air deeply, cherishing its crispness. He looked skywards, closed his eyes and reached out his arms, feeling the breeze tickle his fingers. Taking a deep breath, he declared in a booming voice,
“Ster Walcuna!” Zee was astounded by his deep, magnified baritone voice, admiring the amount of power it held. Flitting her own eyes around, she saw no particular uniqueness in this part of the landscape than anywhere else, beside the lack of trees. But it did have something, she could feel it. Instinctively she clasped the egg tighter, but remembering Kuorega’s words, she ran over to the nearest hut and placed the egg in a large vase behind the hut, concealing it from view.
“Stay here” She whispered to it, in hopes it would enforce her will. She turned and returned to where she was standing, except this time there were more people standing around her, all taller than a normal human.
In several minutes, it seemed the whole village had gathered in the small clearing, as if answering Kuorega’s call. She swept her eyes over the crowd, observing all the new faces and appearances. Startled slightly, all around her a deep throaty hum began, vibrating slowly through the air. Around her, she could feel that it came from all the villagers, and through the undertone of the sound, she could hear Kuorega from the center of the crowd, chanting in the strange language.
“Walcuna tu ta dey ty graet emd givimg Ster. Plaesa phurgiva ty nurtek avil emd blass os phur emutar dey.” In time with his words Zee could see the light around her growing stronger, until she realized that the whole crowd was surrounded by a circle of light that seemed to be shining from the ground itself. As soon as his prayer ended, the light slowly faded away. As everyone opened their closed eyes, they dispersed in different directions as though nothing out of the ordinary had happened.
‘Do they go through that every day?!’
“Well, what did you think of that?” Kuorega had marched over to where zee was standing gaping, looking very pleased with himself, like a silly child.
“It…It was…spectacular! The chanting was so strange and mesmerizing, and wow! What was that glow? How does it happen? Do you do that every day? And--”
“Hold on! What a minute…I can clearly see that you are very much enthused about the morning ceremonies, so if you follow me, I will tell you more about it on the way” Kuorega chuckled to himself that such a girl was fascinated with everything she saw.
“Sounds good, let me grab the egg…” Zee hopped off for a moment to retrieve her unhatched companion, and came back quite bewildered with a forlorn look upon her face and empty hands.
“It’s gone”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment