Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Beginning

Making a daring escape from the villainous Mothers through a portal to a new world, the teens find themselves ever more intricately woven into its affairs. Can Zee and Abel find a way to defeat Darisan, and thus fufill her prophecy?

Chapter 5 - Beginning

Chapter 5 - Beginning
“Young ones, we arrive in capitol port” The hissing sound of the wyrm’s accent woke Zee from half sleep. Blearily she looked around. Snapping to attention she turned around and shook Abel awake, who had been leaning against her back all night. As he too began to wake up he suffered from the same reaction as Zee. Truly they had never before been outside in a city street, so their surprise at the bustling scene was a huge impact. The wyrm had paddled up into what appeared to be a special dock for water wyrms, for there were no boats or ships in sight, pulling up, Hatsunia relaxed in a special sling rigged in the water. Zee woke up Jade - the little dragonet’s name for her soft green eye color - very gently, so as not to trigger her screeching again. Cradling Jade in her arms, she stood up, her legs dripping from the watery ride. Abel followed, and together the strange group made their way from the dock, followed by Surprise.
Unbeknownst to them though, a mysterious figure proceeded to trail the group, ever since their departure from the dock.
Cautiously walking through town, they received many glaring eyes, and little fingers from young children passing by tried to grab at the little Jade, and attempt to snatch at Surprise, who continually had to fly higher over their heads to stay of reach. Passing by many shop windows, they were all inclined to stop and gaze into the bakery where warm cakes and breads sat steaming on large platters. Once again they all felt their long unattended to hunger pains. As they were about set out once again after drooling long and hard in front of grocery window, a voice came from a side alley.
“Come here” It was a hoarse whisper, firm but barely audible to them. Zee peeked around the corner and Jade made a little curious chirping noise.
Without warning, the front of Zee’s shirt was snatched by the man and she was dragged into the alley, kicking and clawing.
“Shuttup you foolish girl, I’m not the only one in these parts interested in that dragon of yers.” He took a swig of something foul from a jug hidden in his cloak. “The name’s Jocab, yers?”
“Zenith, call me Zee”
“Abel”
“What a girly name” Jocab snickered. Abel scowled. Jocab managed to compose himself. “So, tell me, how’d you two get ‘ere from Earth and why?”
Abel and Zee’s mouth dropped open when he said this.
“How did you know?” Abel whispered.
“Easy, you two got that look of complete tourists. Gaping like a fish that’s been landborne.” He took another swig. “Luckily for you and that li’l dragon of yours, when you get to the Academy you’ll be just another egg in the basket.” He winked. “Your ‘friend’ on the other hand will – “ Zee halted him.
“Did you put an applied meaning onto the word ‘friend’?”
“Me? Naw, I just thought that yer a girl an’ he’s a boy – “
“Quit that!”
“Fine! Sheesh…feisty li’l thing.” He took another swig. “Anyways, he…” He jerked his head at Abel, “will have to pass some tests before being able to be admitted. Anyways, I’m guessing by yer clothes that yer trip here was on accident, right?” The man never ceased to surprise them.
“How do you know it then?” Zee asked.
“Well, sort of, we knew we wanted to get away, but we just didn’t know where” Zee said, pulling her finger away when Jade tried to gnaw on it.
“Hmmm, how did you find the dragon?”
“I found her as an egg, on… Abel, what was the name of the island again?”
“Kopia” He said.
“Right, Kopia. She was hiding in an enormous fern in the middle of the jungle.”
The man scratched at his stubble on his chin.
“If anything, she’s a wild breed. She’ll grow up small, swift and hardy. She might not be the prettiest thing you ever saw, but she definitely has potential to be the toughest.” He coughed as some of his potentially alcoholic beverage seemed to travel down the wrong tube. “Come, it’s best not to stay in the same place for long, the streets aren’t even safe anymore.” Putting their trust in the man, they followed him out of the close quarters of the alley, and into the bright sunshine of the city streets. Following earlier advice, Zee did her best to hide Jade from view, who did not enjoy being under her shirt at all.
“What’s with all the secrecy, apparently creatures like dragons and things aren’t uncommon, so why should I hide Jade?” Zee continued to struggle with Jade, but thankfully the little dragons power was still weaker than Zee.
“Lately there have been rumors of pirates in the Malsha Seas, threatening to kidnap the Kem” He whispered this close to Zee’s ear, shielding the facts from the outside world.
“They want to kidnap who?” Abel asked.
“The Kem, the title is equivalent to a King or Queen of sorts. Except there’s only one.”
“What would they want with her?” Zee was struggling to keep Jade from wriggling around so much.
“Actually, a lot. The Kem isn’t chosen for good looks, or on her families background. She was chosen because she had a knack for Magic, therefore being a Kem, it is her duty to keep an eye on the leaders of the world, keeping them in check and monitoring the activities of dark Magic. If she would take a sudden absence, it would throw the world into chaos.” He paused and glanced around. “There’s another rumor that the Captain of the pirates has either joined forces with the Cursed, or has been possessed by one of them. Currently the ship has been seen drifting around Hassile in the Laesi and Mapu Seas” Zee shrank back as Jocab’s face hovered close to hers. The news didn’t seem to make her as heartfelt as she thought she should be.
“Judging by the way you’re taking the news, I’m guessing that threats aren’t very important either?” Zee seemed sarcastic.
“Of course they’re important!” He snapped. “It’s just that this city in particular has been the brunt of blame for everything. Losing track of the Orbs of Raike, the lack of Gifted mages, the surplus of demon sightings. They even blame us for the disappearance of the Elven lord from ten years ago!”
Abel calculated in his head that ten years here was roughly fifteen on Earth.
“Lately the Elven kingdoms have been in harsh situations with each other. The Denosian Elves keep saying the Prophecy will be the return of their Lord, to restore both sides to their former glory. While the Mekësoan Elves say that the Prophecy will surely be their total destruction.” He laughed darkly to himself. “Neither side realizes that they’re pushing each other farther away from a treaty that will be necessary in the oncoming war.”
“What war? Against who?” Zee was already getting the feeling as though this new world wasn’t any better than the one she had come from besides the fact that there were no Mothers; there’s was just so much that was going on it was overpowering.
“The Raike mages and their demons of course.” He sidestepped over a cart that had fallen in the road, scooping up a strange soft fruit nonchalantly and popping the little thing into his mouth.
“Demons?! DEMONS?! As in, evil bloodthirsty things that like to eat people?!” Even though Abel had lived his life in the orphanage, he wasn’t born there, and the only memory he can conjur up of his past is of a black and hideous contorting face, dripping saliva from the corners of it’s mouth, a demonic, evil face. Zee nearly jumped from her skin when Abel began screeching, wondering if he was okay.
“Yes demons” He said irritably. “Stop overeacting like that, it’s quite annoying and under aged” The man walked faster, and as Zee was going to call out to him she realized she didn’t know his name. She ran up along side him, Jade bouncing happily inside her shirt.
“Hey, who are the Raike mages? And what have they done?” Zee’s curiousity always had the best of her. Jocab just sighed.
“The Raike mages are the dark mages who have been banned from this world. After the finding of the white and elemental Magics, someone out there who we now know as Darisan, the ultimate demon – created the dark Magics. Magic that is used for mind-control and spreading disease. Planting hatred into hearts and destroying things. Darisan is the only true demon in the world, the only born demon ever to stalk Delëna, and he is ruler over all other lesser demons. He was the one to create the orbs of Raike. He made them to overthrow the orbs of Aesi, so he could literally rule the world with darkness and hate. Those who serve under him will never again be blessed by light. Raike mages have the ability to create demons as their scouts and bringers of misfortune. They rip out their souls which keeps their very bodies alive. There are a few though, who have studied under him-three to be exact, and each one of them guards one of the orbs of Raike.” Jocab beckoned them all to take a seat on a bench outside of a deserted clothing store. Jade curled up on Zee’s lap like a cat, and began to purr even. “The Orb of Despair is held by the dragon Valar in the mountains that surround Nelë the volcano. He is the most powerful of Darisan’s henchmen and not one to be caught alone with. The Orb of Poverty is held by the shadow stalker Salssi, the most cunning and wicked of the dark beings. She is devious, and not many live to tell of the night they met her. The final Orb is held by a shape-shifting demon, who can take any form of any thing or person. Although not many know his true name, he is called Tzek.
“Darisan, about ten years ago, had gathered an army up, and was preparing to attack the entire world from all sides. It seemed that everyone was doomed for eternal misery. But, from the shadows of the Anodor Forests, came an elven man, who stood up to face the foe. The elven lord, gave Darisan a night to remember. They fought for many days, and while he was keeping Darisan busy, the world strangled the demonic armies. Small towns with nothing but pitchforks, helped. Doing everything in their power to keep themselves alive. Even being an Immortal, he was beginning to tire, so he stopped fighting and cast a spell, that sealed Darisan in a magical tomb where nothing could enter or escape. As the enchanted rock closed over Darisan, who was defenseless, he swore, that his child would be cursed a thousand times of death, if he ever laid eyes upon him. That his own kin would surely mean his escape. Darisan is still there, sealed in the Tomb of Darisan, what an original name. Although the lord fought off an attack from the ultimate demon, Darisan’s henchman came for him, and he was kidnapped. Somehow, he did escape, and all say that he shoved his only surviving heir through a wormhole into Earth, where he would hide until the spell summoned him home, to begin the war against the demonic armies and defeat Darisan one day when the seal crumbles. Soon after the lord was named one of the Gifted, he vanished - all traces of him lost, and so he was presumed dead, although many good and bad folk are still searching for him to this day” Out of habit Jocab reached for his flask, still disappointed at its vacancy.
“Wow, that was an incredible story. How do you know so much?” Abel asked, wide eyed.
“Well, I was a good friend of Cedrus’s; we went to the Academy together and shared many hours causing mischief and such. The usual boy thing of scampering around.” Abel began day dreaming, and as if she hadn’t listened Zee asked,
“Where are we going anyway?”
“To the Palace. according to recent laws, anyone who sees suspicious characters during the week of the Prophecy is to immediately make an appearance to the Kem.” He looked over at Jade. “And because you have your own dragon now, it’s mandatory for you to attend the academy for training.”
“Training? For what?”
“Remember the war I told you about? That’s what.” Jocab took out his little bottle, but missed his mouth, cursing and muttering as cleaned himself, ignoring the teeth chattering Abel behind him who continued to recall nightmares of little evil sprites that were going to gobble him up.
Continuing down the cobblestone streets masses with people of all colors and shapes, there was a sudden change in the air. Before the three-some knew what was happening, the entire wave of people separated as men on strange horse-creatures came riding through at top speed.
“Quickly now!” Jocab hastily snatched at the backs of Abel and Zee’s shirts, dragging them off running, ducking into another alley. The sound of galloping continued behind them.
“They’re after you two, see? I’m not the only one looking for suspicious characters.” Jocab lead them running through the streets, knocking down carts and temporary vendor stands behind, setting the city into confusion in their wake. The riders seemed consistent, their mounts agile and swift, leaping over obstacles and fallen people alike.
“Faster children! We’re almost there!” Jade was furious, and she struggled hard to escape from Zee’s sweaty shirt. Her little tail slipped from under her shirt, tangling in-between Zee’s fast moving legs.
“Oof!” Zee trips and falls, landing painfully on her head, she doesn’t move, waiting for the world to stop spinning. Jade climbs out of her shirt and sits on top of Zee, flapping her wings and screeching threateningly to anyone who comes too close. The riders came to a sliding stop not five feet from where she lay. Jade reared up her little head and squawked and carried on. Surprise descended to examine the situation and chattered into Abel’s ear, pulling his head around.
“Zee!” Abel turned back and ran as one of the riders jumped off his mount and strided over to Zee. He stopped as Jade began a series of hissing fits, in order to protect her.
“Wait! No! Leave her alone!” Abel shouted at them, running as fast as he could. As Zee stood, feeling much better, another one of the riders pointed at her.
“Perelysa” Instantly Zee’s body stiffened, and once again she keeled over backwards, frozen. Jade began thrashing her tail violently, spitting and hissing like a cat, emitting streams of smoke from her nostrils. Wary of the little dragons power, they backed off. As Abel ran up, Jade took no notice of him, and continued to have a tantrum at the riders. Jocab walked up behind the children and the furious dragon, several of the riders giving him nasty glances.
“So, I see that the Kem has tired of waiting for me.” He announced to the small squadron. The rider who was un-mounted, seemed to be the leader and he spoke up.
“The Kem Rastri, has ordered your immediate return. Unless you had the children and the dragon, we are to take them from you, and into our custody.” The man did not seem to stand with full confidence, the presence of Jocab intimidating him more then the smell of booze emanating from him.
“Well, to be blunt with you, the children have literally just arrived, so I’m afraid I can’t let you do that. I will personally deliver them to the Kem, safe and sound, and relieve you of any charges that she may have prepared for you in case you were unsuccessful.” He smiled at this and motioned for Abel, who stammered and pointed to Zee. “Oh yes, the girl, almost forgot” He motioned at the leader to undo his hex.
“Dastom” Several seconds later, Zee stiffly, sat up. Seeing the man who had stunned her, she charged at him.
“Hold up girl, don’t start anything until we get you to the castle” Jocab had grabbed her by the collar, and was dragging her away from the squadron. Submissing, she merely glared, but the riders all felt an icy chill up and down their spines. Jade walked by with the same look, spitting as she passed.
‘Creepy girl…”

“Ooooow, my head!” Zee rubbed the spot on her the back of her head where she had hit herself on the hard pavement. Surprise, was sitting daintily on her shoulder, admiring the surroundings, happy that no one paid attention to her for a while.
“You’re should be thankful for Jade, or it could have been more than a little bump, riding a Rësenti without proper experience, can be a painful one” Jocab scolded. Zee stopped rubbing a moment and scratched under Jade’s jaw, a pur emitting from her throat. Zee giggled.
“She’s so much like a cat, it’s almost uncanny!”
They continued their walk in silence, and before much longer, they found themselves face to face with the palace guards, standing guard at the gate. As Jocab conversed with the guards, Zee and Abel stared in wonder at the gate. It was not the black iron gate Zee had expected any castle to have. It was a silver gate, shining in the daylight, carved to appear as a silver garden, leaves and vines intertwining with each other, silvery little animals, playing in the metallic garden. When she looked down, the gate seemed to grow straight from the ground.
“Come along, the guards have allowed entry.” Before their eyes, the gates pulled apart, the branches and leaves untwining themselves, and little animals watched as they made their way through. Passing the guards, Abel peered into their silver armor. Appalled, he ran to catch up with Zee as he saw no face in the in the helm.
“Jocab! There wasn’t anyone in that suit of srmor! How could you have possibly talked to it?!” Abel grabbed onto Zee’s shoulder. “Didn’t you see?!”
“The pieces of armor were enchanted, just like the gate. In fact, they are a part of the gate, that way we don’t waste any currency trying to hire people who can’t be trust worthy.” Once again, he sipped from his flask, disappointed as the last drop ran onto his tongue. “The guards act like a two way radio, directly connected to another guard inside the castle, who is in the constant presence of the Kem. After I relayed my message to her, the guard listened to the Kem’s message and opened the gate for us. You two will be meeting her in a moment”
They strolled through a beautiful garden, with many strange birds and insects humming and buzzing around silver flowers and trees which seemed to whisper. The castle door itself was elegant and simple at the same time, it seemed to be a single piece of wood, with silver hinges and gleaming crystal adornments. Forest creatures were engraved in the wood, in a beautiful landscape. Jade even was silent, but she ran ahead several times to sniff a flower here and there and watch small sprixi’s at work watering the plants. Zee vowed that she never close her eyes again, in fear of missing something as beautiful as this. Jocab brutally hammered the door with his fist, and a round man with a smiling face opened the door, his eyes alight with joy.
“Ah! The Kem Rastri is very eager to see you children!” He glanced at Jocab, “Not so much of you” Jocab pouted. He turned and beckoned them to follow through. The door closed silently behind them, and everyone averted their attention to the interiors of the castle. Smooth shining walls with large hanging tapestries gave it a warm feel, with airy, high rafter ceilings and lights that shone on the walls, alighting their footsteps. “My name is Azarie, personally guard, assistant and close friend of the Kem.” He smiled back at the children. “Don’t let my cheerfulness fool you, I graduated from the academy with the qualifications required for the Gifted!”
The hallway opened up into a vast room, at its center - not a high-backed stone throne with a grumpy faced man; but rather a round bed with many pillows, being all hues of blue and green it gave the impression of a gentle ocean, the deep blue blankets billowing out from the bed onto the sleek grey stone floors. A very beautiful young woman in a flowing silver dress appeared to be asleep in the bed, under a mound of pillows.
“Your grace, the children, and – ahem – Jocab have arrived.” Azarie announced. He leaned over the womans ear. “Your guards are still searching for the third mysterious figure that appeared on the Prophecies night. Reports have said she was last seen on a ferry off the Arecila plateau to the Maltra swamplands.” The man very gently whispered into the woman’s ear, but firmly enough for her to awaken.
“A third pers- ” Zee began to ask, but Jocab interuppted. She shot him a dirty look.
“Your grace, the female child here has been connected to a young wild dragon, and for the boys sake I ask you admit him into the Academy as well.”
After a good long stretch, the woman opened her eyes. She speculated the children, her eyes and Zee’s met, and for a moment, they seemed to look through each other. She beckoned for Abel.
“Young man, how many fingers am I holding up?” She held up two fingers with one hand.
“Erm…two?” Abel said, confused.
“Do you have normal hearing?”
“I believe so…what does this have to do with – ”
“Do you wish to pursue Magic?”
“Yes, but – ”
“You’re in”
“What?” Abel’s jaw dropped.
“I said, you’re in. You can go to school at the Academy with your friend now.” The woman sat up fully so that several maid girls could proceed to brush the woman’s long brown hair with shining silver combs.
“Your grace, usually the Test is much more difficult, is there a reason he didn’t even need to move?” Jocab seemed even as appalled as Abel was at that moment.
“What, you don’t want him to go to the Academy?”
“No, that’s not what I – ”
“Well than leave it. Lately there have been so few applications for requests into the Academy that I’m almost admitting anyone right now. The issue of demons are widespread, and many of the families are keeping their children with them, helping their parents protect their homes.”
“Really though, was it really necessary to admit that many in? You know I don’t cope with hooligans very well…” Jocab sighed and massaged his temples.
“I believe you’d find that if you stopped drinking so much you’d be able to have a clearer mind about things.” In a huff, Jocab left. Zee and Abel seemed ready to follow, but the Kem kept them.
“Don’t mind him. He’s had trouble with a few students in the past who had taken a liking to taunting him about drinking in the Academy. He is a great mage and all, but sometimes not the best people person.” The Kem shooed away the girls, and stood, stretching her legs and accepting several drinks from awaiting servants and a plump purple fruit that seemed very crunchy. As she was unable to talk, Zee and Abel found it the best time to ask questions.
“What is the Academy? I’ve heard it several times, is it like school?” Abel asked.
“The Academy here is for the training of young aspiring mages. You cover the three represented elements, fire, water, and earth; as well as white magic. Black magic however, is strictly forbidden. All students caught in the act are banned from ever attending again.”
“Harsh” Zee muttered.
“Not at all, the Dark Magic’s are nothing to play with, and severe punishment is always the price to pay for something not ment to be meddling in.” The Kem beckoned over a maid and whispered something into the girls ear. “I’m sure you dragon hasn’t had any proper nutrition yet so I’ll have the maid fetch something for her. When she’s done eating, Jocab will procede to direct you children to the Academy, where you shall have a quick tour and have your rooms assigned to you.” The maid returned with a heaping plate of apparently raw meats of various kinds. Jade leaped at the plate, diving headfirst into the mess. Abel and Zee made faces of disgust. The Kem speculated the childrens appearance. “You two could also use a wardrobe change, I can’t have two jungle children waltzing around the Academy.”
A group of maids came forth from the shadows and hustled the children from the room, leaving Jade and the Kem alone for the moment. Rastri examined the little dragon.
“You are quite the unusual dragon that’s for sure” She stroked Jade’s head, who even in gorging herself managed a little pur. Jocab revealed himself from hidden in a secluded hallway.
“Seen anything in particular in the children that strikes you as familiar? Perhaps the girls attitude?” The Kem clearly saw his hidden meaning.
“The moment she walked in Jocab, I had a feeling it would be so. I almost thought for a moment it would be the boy, I could feel such a talent overflowing in him. But then I saw her eyes, I knew it was a match.” Rastri shoke her head in disbelief. “Has it really been ten years? Seems like only yesterday the wormhole opened and closed in that single night of chaos.” She sighed.
“One thing’s for sure, it’s going to be extremely difficult to prevent her from finding out who she really is. And when she does, things could be totally destroyed or–”
“She could be the one, to save us all.” Rastri finished for him, whether he liked it or not. Jocab simply pouted.
“Your grace, the children are here.” A maid walked in, followed by Zee and Abel, now fully clothed to appear atleast semi-normal, to this world atleast. Zee’s outfit made her look even more intimidating than, normal – a foreign type of leather tunic was worn over what appeared to be a light fabric shirt, and rough boots that extended almost to her knee. Abel’s was somewhat similar, also giving him a more assertive air, rather than his constant passive one.
“Ah! Now you two can walk into the Academy and blend right in.” Rastri seemed very satisfied with herself. Jocab pouted as the Kem waved them away.
“There’s mush to do before either of you are ready yet to attend the academy.” Zee and Abel followed in his swift footsteps, Jade trotting placidly behind, lingering over her meal, Surprise occupying herself by braiding Zee’s her as she walked.
The hallway they tread through was not long at all, shortly giving way to the lush castle grounds. To their amazement as they were walking, [excluding Jocab] children of all ages appeared. In couples and groups, almost all were carrying books, and a weapon; even strange types of cats or birds appearing. Much to Jade’s delight, around every corner there came an increasing number of dragons! Of all colors, shapes, designs and sizes. Some with wings of bats or feathers and some without, some were horned or frilled, and all were trailing one of the children. Suddenly, Jocab halted and seemed to rap his staff in midair, like knocking on a door. But with every thwack that shouldn’t have been, a building was exposed. First a door materialized, then glorious stonework, the very building itself seemed to come from Jocab’s simple staff. The stones in the walls were uneven and varied in size, seeming to flow with each other, and windows were inset with wreaths of climbing greens that seemed to grow before her eyes. To further her amazement, the upper-half of the building still remained transparent.
“It’s a technique that we use to give the academy some protection.” Jocab explains as he leads them through the entrance. The inside appeared much larger than what the actual building seemed to show. Jocab slammed his staff to the floor and immediately several of the tiles on the floor rose beneath his feet, raising them to a large doorway on the second floor, avoiding the first floor ceiling, by only inches. “Hmph, stupid floor” As Abel ducked to avoid smashing his head.
The room was stuffy and choked with cheery decorations. A huge fleshy woman had managed to squeeze herself into a fluffy pink chair behind a small desk. Now as they entered she rose – with the chair still clinging to her bottom.
“Oh! So these are the children who are to be our new students!” She embraced Zee and Abel all at once in a hug that could have ben labeled fatal. She released them and introduced herself.
“My name is Miss Krell, but you may call me Amsy” She gave Abel a grandmotherly smile, loving him already. Zee was still pondering over the fact she knew about their arrival.
“How do you know about us already? We’ve only got here the night before last.” Amsy appeared appalled.
“Why, your arrival has been the biggest event to happen in the last ten years!”
“10?”
“Why yes! Just about fifteen Earth years. Ever since the late Star mage of the Gifted sealed up Darisan, Delëna has been absolutely – uneventful! Though even in his absence the air grows thick with the thoughts of war…”
“Who’s at war?” Abel asked.
“Well, no one knows for sure. If there is a war, it will most likely involve lots of demons, most likely Darisan’s lost Trio of Terror. Though the Demon is sealed, his army remains, not even a day goes by without a reminder.” Abel hovered behind Zee, still in fear of the mention of demons.
“Why do we want a war if this Darisan is gone – sealed up in a magical chamber somewhere?” Zee questioned. This place is as messed up as the people.
You said it. Zee swiveled and could’ve sworn it came from Jade, who was poking around under the desk.
“Since the the late leader of the Gifted disappeared – the elven kingdoms of Vosta split, creating the kingdoms of Denosa and Mekëso. Though the two kingdoms are newly formed – they have adapted a whole new philosophy than their past kin. They threaten each other often – for the Gifted leader was also the ruler of what was once the great Empire of Vosta. Now it is in ruins, occupied only by the rogue elves who are believed to still have connections with the Gifted leader they call a leader.”
“I hear a lot of Gifted this and leader that – did this guy die or something? Is it against the law to atleast say his name?” Zee had her hands on hips, mildly confused.
Amsy and Jocab exchanged glances.
“Well, it’s out of respect we keep his name undercover, there are those who are searching for him still, drawn to suspects who unknowingly speak his name. “ Jocab replied, who was standing fairly close to the door.
“Yeah? Well why would anyone want to find a dead guy? Or is he still alive?” Zee demanded.
“ It is unclear whether he is still alive or not, but the Vostans are still buzzing with anticipation of his return. He disappeared shortly after sealing Darisan.” She leaned close, whispering. “Though there are rumors that he sent his heir to Earth to keep it from harms way.” Zee recalled what Jocab had said about the man, sending his heir away because Darisan had cursed it. As Jade began to snore lightly, puffs of smoke drifting to the ceiling, Zee continued to question the woman and Jocab.
“So, this guy, how powerful was he really?”
“Not only was this man the first to be named with such a powerful title, he was also one of the first students to attend this school when it was first built about two centuries ago – graduating a year ahead at the top of the class. He was so full of talent and power, he still holds the record for the highest grades”
“Wait – two centuries?! On Earth that’s like…” Zee struggled with the math.
Coughthreehundredcough Abel hacked nudging Zee in the ribs. Jocab gave him a sideways glance and thumped him on the back for good measure.
“That’s like three hundred years! How old is this guy?!”
“Well lets see, he was only about ten when he enrolled – those were the years where he could have been mistaken for a human were it not for his ears. Elves are like that you know – they grow like a human till they turn fifteen then they barely seem to grow at all. Even for his young age though he managed to graduate at the top of all his classes.”
“Impressive” Abel murmured. Zee rolled her eyes.
“Well then Miss Krell, I do believe it’s high time that we send these children on their way, so they might even be ready to attend by tomorrow morning. Jocab shuffled Zee and Abel out the door, signaling to Surprise who was investigating a jar willed with sweets.
“Bye now you two! See you in school! Tootles!”
Jocab slammed the door on her smiling face, his eyes indicated the pure image disgust.
“That woman never ceases to churn my stomach.” He spun, his brown cloak swirling about his feet.
“Why do you hate her so much, its true she’s a little…um…fruity, but there really is no reason to despise her that much.” Zee said to his bristling back. (Though she had to admit she didn’t have a soft spot for her either) To her surprise, Jocab’s face was shoved into hers – his fury immense.
“The only reason I put up with that woman is because she’s the head honcho here and she’s only here because the last administrator was overly cruel and caused the death of a student!” He spat. He turned again, his anger diminished. “The man hated children, and would fly into a rage when they would break the rules. Children who even stepped out of line slightly was sure to face severe punishment. One such child was locked in the dragons battle arena, and expected to defend himself.” His voice softened. “His teacher beforehand had taken away his wand in sorcery class for bewitching the class miniature Ranachad, When the dragons began fighting, a friends gold-wing tried to defend him, but his opponents dragon had swept the boy off his feet with his tail, but he was caught in the barb, and when the dragon completed the arc of his tail, the boy was flung against the wall. He was killed almost instantly, his head shattered.” Jocab shook his head with despair.
“My question is; what did the tail catch on?” Zee looked down at her own attire.
“His cloak, the reason we no longer use them for students except in wintertime” Jocab said matter-of-factly.
“Ohh..” Zee got the shivers thinking about it.
When it seemed both Zee and Jocab had finished their talking, Abel also had something on his mind.
“Why was it she spoke perfect English, unlike most people on the island?”
There was a short pause while Jocab collected his thoughts. “The language on Kopia and most islands is an altered form of English, mainly because of old conflicts, they didn’t want to even share a language with the mainland. So many centuries ago they formed a new script and language.” He scratched his head. “You’ll soon discover though that that isn’t the only other language here in Delëna. The only reason English adapted so well is because when Delëna was first formed, many of the first inhabitants had a sort of meeting to agree upon the basis languge, and English was the winner. Or so the story goes, it’s all a little fuzzy. I could never imagine dwarves and elves in each others company long enough to agree on something like that.” He clapped his hands together. “Now then, time to get to work!” Moving into a brisk walk, Jocab exited the Academy and entered a large courtyard that was just inside the castle gates. Zee was surprised she didn’t atleast hear it as they were walking to the castle.
Many vendors and little shops lined a circular bricked paved area. Merchants were shouting put sales and special deals, luring unsuspecting customers with a couple quick words and slight of hand.
“Come and get yer boots! Sturdy boots for every occasion! Boots for riding and boots for work!” “Maps! Maps for every little town in Delëna! Maps of Delëna! Even maps not of this world!” “Dragon tears! Dragon scales! Come and get yer dragon wares! Buy a dragon tooth and get yer next one fer half off!” Through all the commotion, many times Abel was drawn to a stall run by a family of dwarves selling small metal trinckets and toys of all varieties. While Zee was admiring a dagger by the blacksmiths shop with intricate dragon designs and inset gems. She had a hard time from keeping Jade away from a stall selling all manners of creatures – half of which she was sure Jade thought was lunch.
“Be quick ‘bout it now! First order of business is your uniforms, they’re custom made so I took the liberty of ordering them for you. They should be in your dorms by the time we return.” Jocab said, rounding up Abel and Zee. “For starters like yourselves, it’s necessary to use a wand – so it’s easier to focus magical energy.” With the knowing steps of a veteran, he led them to one of the few actual buildings. Beside the wood doorway, it had a small silver plaque that read: Marley Jouba; Wandmaker Professional. They walked into the dim interiors, Jade avoiding having her tail slammed in the door – and sneezed in the airborne dust that rose in her footsteps – slight hints of smoke drifting upwards. As Abel and Zee explored the room, Jocab walked to the front desk and leaned over the counter and called for the wandmaker.
Some distant tumbling of boxes sounded and muttered curses reached his ears, as a small man in his late sixties came around the corner. “Spike! Wake up you old bird brain! Yer ‘posed to be watchin’ the door featherfluff! Wake up! SPIKE!” The old man (who Zee presumed to be Marley) Shook the stand the bird was perching on and promptly shook the bird awake. The startled bird fell of his perch and once again – slumbering. Marley sighed, “I suppose I won’t be needin’ any more o’ dis bird chow in back, I think I can jus’ –“ A squawk from the bird nearly made Abel lose his skin.
“I’m up! I’m up! Leave my food alone you grumpy old cow!” The bird clambered back onto his perch and decidedly preened its dull grey feathers. Marley only humphed. He looked at Jocab and asked him in a gruff tone what his business was.
“Looking for wands for these two youngsters, first time and never used magic before.” He replied in an equally gruff manner. “Something simple, none of the fancy wands with dragons blood or elven hair inside. They need wooden sticks. You hear?” Once Jocab made his point was across, he turned away from Marley and waited for him to fetch the wands. Zee was giving the bird a look a skepticism.
“So why do they call you Spike?” She almost slapped herself for talking to a bird. Surprisingly though it answered.
“Because I can do this – “ The bird fluffed it’s whole body out, and from below the feathers numerous quills jutted out and shot across the room. Thankfully Zee managed to dodge one that ran a little close to home.
“Cool” Zee continued to investigate the room, that had many little sculptures of different creatures and people. Abel hung close to Jocab, wanting to ask questions.
“Why is it we need wands, can’t we just use our finger.” Jocab was shaking his head.
“We did that the first two years the Academy was open, too many kids were focusing energy into their fingers rather than from them and were ending up blowing it up.” Abel’s face paled at the thought. “So now we make it a requirement for first and second years to use wands, and those that become mages use their own discretion. Most sorcerers though use wands their whole lives, and are constantly upgrading.” Abel turned away from Jocab, more interested in the small wares than combusting appendages. Zee spoke up from the back corner of the room.
“Jocab, what’s this?”
Jocab turned to see what Zee had this time.
In her hands was a small crystalline orb with a deep red liquid suspended in the center. Zee turned the ball, admiring how warm its surface was and gave it an experimental toss into the air. Jocab nearly lost his head.
“Don’t! Do! That!” He snatched the orb from her hands, receiving a bloody stare from her direction. “This is the blood from a lava wyrm, drop it; and the whole place’ll be up in flames.” He gently placed the orb down among other strange memorabilia.
More loud cursing and the sound of boxes tumbling. Marley came around from the back of the store with an armload of long boxes with writing on each end. Words like dragons blood, merfolk hair, elven crystal. He looked first at Abel after placing the boxes on the already cluttered front desk.
“Have ye used magic before?”
Abel shook his head. Marley swiped most of the boxes to the floor.
"Have ye a dragon?”
Abel shook his head again. Marley threw even more boxes to the ground.
“What race are ye?”
“Uhh..human?”
Marley picked out several boxes and used his arm to move the rest to the floor. He rubbed his hands together, deciding which to try first. He picked up a box with ‘pine’ written on the side. He opened it and presented a thin wood - stick - to Abel. He stared at it a moment until Marley realized that Abel hadn’t a clue.
“Go on now child, focus some of yer energy into that wand, focus!” He said, dramatizing with frantic waves of his arms. Abel squeezed his eyes shut and concentrated hard on…well he really wasn’t quite sure what. But before he knew it, the wand had snapped in half. (of it’s own accord – he didn’t do it, really) Marley seemed used to this and passed him another wand that was really a stick. This time from a box that had another English word on it; birch. Abel took it this time, holding it more lightly, and concentrated hard again. He had barely begun when the wand itself exploded, splinters flying. Abel, whirled back in surprise. But was again handed a stick – fortunately this one seemed more wand-like - from a box labeled Traesëra. Jocab raised his brow in surprise, acknowledging the same conclusion that Marley seemed to have. Abel grasped the wand, which was slightly carved at the base into twining branches, and concentrating he managed to produce a bright glow from the end of the wand. With wide eyes he looked at Zee, who wasn’t easily impressed. Marley smirked.
“Interestin’, most only elves can use wands of the Traesëra tree.” He nodded in approval. “Good luck, it’s a wand that most can’t use ‘til their third year.” He motioned to Zee. He asked her similar questions, and when she replied yes to having a dragon, he scuttled to the back and brought out another twenty or so boxes. With the same process Abel had, Zee worked the wands. But almost every single one of Marley wands either snapped, exploded, lit up in flame and even screamed when she touched them. She finally got to a rather bland looking wand that came from a box whose label was too scratched up to read. There was a place for her hand to grasp, and small twisting spirals around the stem of the wand, resembling a unicorn horn. Although it took several seconds, when the wand did not in some way reject her, Marley deemed it acceptable. Unfortunately his feeble mind couldn’t remember what it was made of or even what was in it. After charging the fees for the wands onto the school tab, they left the shop into the still blinding light of noon. Both children admiring their new wands.
“All right, now that we finally have everyone’s wands” Zee frowned at Jocab’s remark, “We can proceed to several of the vendor’s booths selling weapons and such.” At the word of weapon, Abel became frightened of what Zee would be like - angry - with a weapon.
At the booth, Zee was immediately drawn to the long katanas and slender curved blades; while Abel was drawn to the much smaller and sturdier daggers. Jocab stood behind them calculating expenses, noticed Zee admiring an elven blade on display. Jade was more interested in the ground, pouncing on the small rodents and insects.
“That blade is too expensive and extravagant for school, find something a little more practical.” He attempted to steer Zee away – but the vendor saw a potential buyer for a particularly expensive sword.
“Dis bwade was made by none oder dan de bwack smiff Ywatta, - de same ewve who forged de magicaw swords in de ewven wars!” The poor man had a very bad lisp and was unable to pronounce his L’s or Th’s.
“You mean black smith Ylatta?” Jocab inquired, still trying to pry Zee away.
“Yes! Bwack smiff Ywatta!” He was excited now, chittering like a schoolgirl, “I convinced her to give me de sword as wong as I promised to seww it to a proper weiwder.” He winked at Zee. “You seem perfect, widdwe wady” Zee scrunched her nose in disgust. Jocab was still not impressed.
“I’m sorry sir – maybe another time. But we need something simpler for these two – for school.” The man scratched his crumb dusted beard in thought.
“Weww, I dink we have a sword wike dat around here somewhere…” He reached underneath his stand, and pulled out a large skinny case. When he clicked open the locks, inside were many swords – about ten – that each looked a little different, but seemed much less flamboyant than those he had set out. Jocab looked over them quickly. He picked up one sword, that had a blade about the length of Zee’s arm, and a plain black hand hold without any flourishing designs –it had a little bit more thickness too it, unlike most of the others Zee had looked over. He passed it to Zee and watched her as she experimented, twisting it in her hand, turning it, lifting it and such – avoiding giving both Jocab and the man a shave. She nodded. Jade approached and decided to sniff the sword. Seems good quality… Again Zee turned to Jade when she heard the voice in her head.
“This one seems nice” She really didn’t have a clue to whether it was good or not other than Jade’s opinion, considering she had never held a sword in her life. Jocab bartered the man for a cheaper price then wandered over to Abel as Zee was attempting to figure out how to talk back to Jade.
“See one you like?” Jocab trusted Abel more – he already knew the kid didn’t really have any guts and probably wouldn’t think about wanting anything too fancy – he was too modest for that.
Cautiously though, Abel pointed to a straight-edged dagger that was reasonably long without adornments – like he thought – he was too modest. He continually saw his eyes revert back to a dagger placed near the front that was luxuriously placed in a velvet lined case – it had silver infusions in the hand grasp with lovely floral designs. The blade had a gentle curve and was quite pleasing to the eye.
However – like he had done to Zee, Jocab pulled out the plain dagger with the man’s consent and had Abel examine it himself. The elven dagger caught the sunlight in its silver glory as the trio – plus dragon - proceeded to their next mission.

Many hours later, ladened down with all sorts of things, Jocab finally pointed out their rooms, and passed them a small piece of parchment.
“Don’t you dare lose this, it’s very important and without it - you will surely be doomed to failure” He looked particularly at Zee. “Zee, you’re down in the girls’ wing, down that hallway there, and Abel, you’re with the boys, in the opposite hallway. You can’t miss ‘em.” Jocab turned, remembered something, and turned back. “Whatever you do – don’t try to act tough or pretend to know everything. You aren’t, and you don’t” With his last words, Zee turned and walked down her hallway with Jade, and opened the door to the girls wing. Abel stood a moment contemplating Jocab’s last words before he too did the same.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment