Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - Classes

Making a daring escape from the villainous Mothers through a portal to a new world, the teens find themselves ever more intricately woven into its affairs. Can Zee and Abel find a way to defeat Darisan, and thus fufill her prophecy?

Chapter 7 - Classes

Chapter 7 - Classes
“How do you know all this? You’re not an elf are you?” She reached up and pushed back his hair, checking to make sure he had normal ears. “Okay, you’re clear”
Daemon laughed. “Actually, just last year one kid went inside looking human, but when he came out he had turned into an elf. You’d be surprised at how often that happens you know. Only about twenty years ago it was considered disgraceful to marry outside your race. The Academy took a whole day explaining the origin of the amcesant and the demonic wars”
“Well that would clear things up a bit. So, where to next? The dungeon perhaps?” Zee giggled.
“Only if you want to, some kids go down there and never come back” Daemon said.
“You’re kidding” Zee gave him her skeptical look.
“I cross my heart and hope to die” He raised his right hand and traced an X over his heart.
Dong, dong, dong.
“Oops, you’re saved it seems. If I were you I’d hurry to your classes, some teachers aren’t quite as forgiving as some” With that Daemon ran off, waving as he went. Zee rummaged through her pockets, and looking at the slip of parchment. In the blink of an eye, neat ink lettering appeared on the slip that read: World History. Zee looked around.
“Where is it?” Expecting a reply from the paper. Instead, a small arrow appeared pointing to the left. Zee followed the arrows direction for about two minutes, taking certain tiles up several levels, and finally arriving at a wood door with a small sign that read: Mrs. Pulls. She followed several other students into the class, thanking Amsy that she was in the same class as Abel. As everyone else found their friends and sat down, Zee and Abel found places in the front near the corner. A tall woman who appeared to be in her late sixties stood at strict attention at the front of the class, behind an equally tidy desk with a single cup of what Zee imagined to be feather pens, and a stack of paper. Her face was gaunt, eyes sunk to the back of her head giving her a ghost like appearance, and lips sagging at the corners, making her seem even more unpleasant. Abel swallowed. Both him and Zee were imaging that this woman looked just like a Mother, minus the uniform.
“Good morning class. I take it that none of you tried to sneak your stink bombs into class? If you did, I’m sure all of you are aware of my new pet, Narook, will find you with his acute sense of smell and make sure that you won’t try it again” With that said, a small creature leaped onto Mrs. Pulls desk, and death glared the class down. It had sleek, black hindquarters, and a tail with grey rudder-like feathers. Although its upper half seemed totally different, though the parts blended together smoothly. It had the head of a hawk, small grey ear feather tufts on either side of the head. When the creature screeched and fanned out it’s magnificent grey and white wings, both Zee and Abel knew that Narook was a griffin.
“Hey Mrs. Pulls, does the Academy authorize you to have a griffin?”
“Mrs. Pulls, why is your griffin so black?”
“Mrs. Pulls, your griffin is puny! Can it even fly?”
“Mrs. Pulls! Why – ”
“SILENCE!!” Mrs. Pulls roared. She examined her class with a look of disgust. “Narook is only a hatchling, being trained under the watchful eye of Ms. Linmel. As you can see by his unusual appearance, Narook is a rare form of griffin, taking on a more sultry appearance than the usual deep golds and browns-”
You call that kind of black sutle?! (Poor Zee couldn’t even hear right)
“He was an orphan found in the Hemgar Canyons, and the Zetti tribe handed the orphan to us, in hopes that it would find a suitable companion here. Alas, the poor thing continually bit at all the children who tried to befriend him, so we cancelled the sessions we had been arranging for him to meet different students. Now, he is here in my class, me being the only one who can even tolerate him during class.” She glanced down at the creature who was preening himself on the table, the students staring fascinated by him. “Class, please take out your textbooks and turn to page five! We shall be reviewing our session from yesterday on the first demonic wars.”
Zee felt around inside her desk, and removed a hefty book with the title, History of Delëna. She casually flipped through the pages, ignoring Mrs. Pulls demands. (Though she saw from the corner of her eye that Abel was totally engrossed in reading) Zee stared into space as Mrs. Pulls began her lecture, resembling the ones the Mothers gave in the orphanage.
“The first tensions of war were brought about with the birth of the first true demon Darisan, many did not believe him as a threat at first, not really realizing the extent of his power, thinking he was simply a child gifted in mysterious magics…” Zee traced the wood on her desk, her eyes wandering from shelf to shelf, scanning the shelves.
“…henchmen were created …Tzek, Salssi and Valar…Darisan’s most powerful creations…” Zee watched idly as Narook snoozed, in complete content on Mrs. Pulls empty desk.
“…Tzek…power and sheer pride…shape-shifter…slaughtered…” Zee fiddled with the feather pen sitting on her desk, discovering how to fill it with ink and scribbling over the portraits on peoples faces in her text.
“…Salssi…taking the guises of beautiful women…wedge her way…central powers of Delëna…destroyed…” Zee giggled to herself as she added mustache and buck teeth to a picture of a man labeled “Yartay Pooanah” Actually she giggled more over his name than his new looks.
“…Valar…dragon form…said to be the most powerful…none survived attacks…”
Zee slightly perked up more when she heard the word dragon, thinking of Jade herself. Now that they had known each other for a while, Zee had started getting a strange feeling in the back of her head – sort of like someone whispering really quietly in your ear. She sometimes was able to pick out…emotions…from the swirling voice. Occasionally she would feel little emotions crawl under her skin. A little happiness, a little sorrow, a little…
Grrrrormm
A little hunger apparently. Zee sighed. Ever since she started eating actual food her body had started to realize that it would be able to beg a little with it available. She lay her chin on the desk. At least I’ve dealt with this before. She felt Abel’s skinny elbow poke her side.
“Psst! Zee, she’s giving out homework!” Zee blinked a couple of times, then copied down what Mrs. Pulls had on her blackboard. The chalk sketched away, writing down Mrs. Pulls every word onto the board.
“Everyone, have the assignment completed by tomorrow, class is dismissed!” Before she had even finished, the bell rang from high up somewhere on the buildings transparent towers, reminding teachers the students had to take leave.

Abel stayed close to Zee, happily chattering about everything he learned. Going on and on about how intimidating Darisan would be, face-to-face. Zee rolled her eyes.
“Abel, you gotta fix that chattering problem. If I had been interested, I wouldn’t have been doodling” Abel raised an eyebrow, mouth shutting like a trap.
“Think much about carrying a snack with you?” Abel had known Zee long enough to know that her distractedness and mood meant she was probably hungry. “Next time, save a little of your breakfast, or think up something to munch on before you go. Here,” he tossed her a little napkin wrapped pouch, containing a still warm chunk of seedy bread. “I was going to save it for later, but you need it much more than me”. He smiled at her, the same smile he gave he so long ago inside the bathroom of the orphanage, following the beating of a false accusation. She could only smile weakly in return and say thanks.
Zee gave a quick glance at her card, the ink neatly spelling out that her next class was Basic Magic, and at the bottom – which she hadn’t noticed before – counted down to how long she had until class began. Hurriedly she munched on her bread, using the map scrawled on the back of her paper by Autim. Abel hurried to keep up, convinced that they missed a turn or that Zee was going the wrong way. Thankful that the bread calmed her down and she wasn’t snapping at him for whining.
When they reached the class at last, Zee knew she would actually try in this class. Something in the room said this would be fun, and the shelves packed high with interesting books, (two words Zee never puts together) gave her a weird feeling, but a pleasant one.
The plaque on the desk read: Professor Jocab. Zee was surprised, she instantly made the resolution to harass Jocab to no end. (Of course she remembered him saying he hated dealing with hooligans, which was exactly why she wanted to pester him)
As the students streamed in – most purposely walking in late to annoy Jocab (who was sitting behind his desk muttering to himself why he ever volunteered to take over for a past teacher) pretending to be late and that someone had stopped to talk with them. Zee merely sat quietly in the front row, devising a plan of ultimate impishness, a slightly creepy smirk resting on her lips. (Her first goal: weird-out Jocab)
“Basic Magic has now begun, take out your textbooks and flip to page four.” As Jocab doled out his orders, he watched as Zee excitedly pulled out her book and eagerly turned the pages, nearly ripping them from their binding.
“Without tearing the book please, Miss Zenith” Zee flinched, disliked at being called by her real name (not too fond of the fact that it wasn’t quite a ‘normal’ name – on Earth anyways) Nonetheless, she look up at Jocab and batting her eyelashes replied,
“Of course not professor!” Her words like sweet honey. Jocab took a slow step back, avoiding crossing her center of sight.
“Today we will…um…be learning about - Zee? What are you doing?” Jocab was wide-eyed, carefully contemplating Zee’s mental health as she batted her eyelashes and twirled locks of her raven colored hair in her fingers. She made faces that were the pure image of a flirtacious girl. Her fisrt goal was complete. Her next goal: Annoy Jocab.
“Today we will begin learning the basic techniques and forms for simple spells that will have common everyday uses. The basic form for holding a wand in its most effective place, so as to have the maximum amount of power, is outlined on page five.” As Zee looked at a list of spells in the column of the first chapter-Sparks, Levitation, Enchant, Stun- she raised her hand.
Jocab hesitated before calling on her.
“When will we learn how to make peoples faces turn green?” Zee was amazed at herself for keeping a straight face.
“U-um, huh? Why in the world would you want to turn someone’s face green?”
“Because that’s how I feel in this class” she wrapped her hands around her neck and pretended to barf. Laughter aroused from the class. Jocab glared at her.
“The basic form should have your dominant foot slightly out to balance you, and your wand arm out in front and slightly bent. If the spell is slightly more powerful, you may need to bend your knees slightly for better support.” Jocab demonstrated what it was supposed to look like.
Zee’s hand rose from the crowd. Jocab grimaced.
“Do you always have to stand like that?”
“No, there are several other wa-”
“Then can I sit down?”
“Only if – ”
“Do you have to point your wand at what you’re casting a spell on?”
“Yes, but-”
“What if I was casting a spell to protect myself” Then would I poin-”
“Enough!!” Jocab’s irritated voice barely rose above the classes, as everyone had decided they too wished to ask their questions out-loud, following Zee’s lead. Sitting back in his seat, watching the class shout above each other to be heard, he only smiled quietly to himself, his eyes death glared at Zee, who smiled back and waggled her fingers at him.
“Fine,” he said, “be that way, everyone-DETENTION!” Immediately the class silenced for a moment, Jocab’s face of complete and utter contentment, as the class sat, stunned.
Only for half a moment.
Jocab sunk into his seat in despair as moans and complaints billowed from the class like heat from a fire. Jocab massaged his temples, hoping to escape a terrible headache he knew would come.
“Homework is to read pages four through twenty two and to answer all ten of the chapter questions! Due tomorrow!” His voice rose as the class grew even louder. “all those who fail to present themselves at detention this afternoon shall receive punishment!”
After several more minutes of whining and annoying children noises, Jocab finally sighed as he relaxed, delighting in the soft sounds of flipping pages.
Zee smiled at him when he looked up.
That girl is exactly like him…

Kem Rastri laughed, a hearty laughter like one who enjoys something with all of their heart.
She had just received the news of Zee’s little consequences of toying with Jocab. She found it simply delightful that the girl had such a mischievous streak, so much like the one he had.
She sighed as Azarie poured her a dainty cup of a strong smelling, black liquid.
“I swear Azarie, if she gets in the same trouble for all the things he did-”
“I’ll bring down the castle!” He shook his fists in the air, smiling broadly. He finished her sentence as he had so many times when she had been saying it many years ago.
“Azarie, do you believe she is the child? When she walked in, I could tell that there was a power emanating from her, but now I am not so sure. It may have been coming from that boy, or her dragon.” She took a deep sip from her cup draining it, and held it out as Azarie refilled it.
“My guess is as good as yours, Kem Rastri. There was definitely power coming from both children, but it could be anyone’s guess to as who it belonged to.”
“I suppose only time will tell”
“It always does, my Kem.”

“Did you see her face? I thought she was going to bite your head off when you reached in to pet the griffins!”
Daemon laughed, light and happy, it made Zee sway. Both were walking side by side, leaving the confines of Mrs. Linmels Creature Class. Abel hovered slightly behind, the corners of his mouth turned slightly down. Autim, Alma and Via walked in formation around him, feeling the same way. (Though it seemed Autim was stalking, her hair a bright red and smoke rising with anger at Zee. Alma and Via could care less, both munching on a shared fruit pastry.)
The whole rather broken-apart group was heading to Combat class, Daemon’s arm slowly snaking it’s way into Zee’s.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment