Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - The Desert Colony

Desert adventurer encounters dangerous inhabitants.

Chapter 1 - The Desert Colony

Chapter 1 - The Desert Colony
The Desert Colony
The sun was beating down on Lindens back, she was hot, sweaty and her water had almost run out. Three days ago Linden left her home land to discover and map uncharted islands, so far she had found only desert and had been walking for two days. Linden was now tired and she could smell the hot desert sand beneath her feet, she thought she saw an oasis so she ran and ran. It seemed to be getting further away. Linden sat down, exhausted and hot, she passed out.

Linden awoke in a cool, dark tunnel, she took a torch from the wall behind her and began to walk. As Linden was walking a hot ash fell from the torch and burnt her wrist, she cried out in pain. Linden tried to brace the pain and carried on walking, she heard a scuttle behind her, she quickly turned around, nothing was there. As Linden turned back around she was dwarved by a giant lizard that stood before her, it lunged out, she dodged out of the way and ran. The tunnels were dark and it was hard to see, even with the torch, Linden then took a left into a connecting tunnel where she found a pile of treasure, she threw the torch behind her and hid behind the pile of treasure until the creature left.

Linden sat atop of the pile, breathing heavily, exhausted when she noticed a large sword in the corner of the room. Linden approached the sword and picked it up, it was surprisingly light, the grip, guard and pommel were covered in beautiful jewels of all shapes colours and sizes, and the blade shimmered in the light from the wall mounted torch, she then decided to put the sword back down. As Linden tried to leave the room she was confronted by a large beetle, she tried to plead with it, “Please, please, I mean you no harm, I only want to go home.” She then started to cry.

The beetle moved its head in a motion as if it wanted Linden to follow, she dare not refuse. Linden and the beetle walked for about an hour through a labyrinth of tunnels, they eventually stopped in a room full of running water and food, the beetle suddenly spoke, “Four minutes, go now.”
Linden ran and ate then drunk as much as she could, “Thank you!” she exclaimed.
“Do not thank me.” Said the beetle, Linden and the beetle carried on walking through the labyrinth for about half an hour until they came to a great room with a throne, on the throne sat a giant centipede.
Linden heard something in her head, “You may leave once you have earned your freedom.” It seemed to be coming from the giant centipede.

Linden was taken to a room where she was chained up and forced to mine with a group of four other slaves under the watch of a giant stick insect with a spear. Linden was thinking about escaping, but she knew that she would need some help. Linden carried on mining until the insect guard fell asleep.
“How long have you guys been here?” linden asked the miners. They didn’t reply. Linden grabbed her pick axe and broke the chains which bound her and the other miners.
“Escaping?” one of the miners asked.
“Yeah, you guys in?” linden replied.
“Let’s go!” one of them cried, “We’ve been here long enough!”
They all followed Linden as they crept past guards, they all made it back to the room full of treasure where Linden picked up the glittering sword.

“AARRGGHH!”
Linden turned around, to see one of the miners in the mouth of a stick insect guard, she charged towards the insect and sunk the blade deep into its throat, it fell dead to the floor, they carried on, there were now only three other miners. Linden and the others made their way through the tunnels, they were approached by a giant stag beetle.
“I have been told to show you the exit, but for the life of another miner.”
The oldest miner stepped forward and said, “Take me, I am dying anyway.” The beetle approached the old man.
“No!” shouted Linden, “No sacrifices.”
With that Linden plunged the sword into the beetles hide.

Linden and the miners then continued onwards towards the royal chamber, as they entered the chamber the doors slammed shut behind them. The giant centipede made a few clicks, one of the miners suddenly transformed into a millipede with a razor sharp spear, Linden turned around to see the transformation. One of the miners suddenly charged at the insect, it then retaliated by throwing its spear into the miner, sticking him to the wall. Linden watched him die a slow and painful death.

Linden charged at the mighty insect with her large sword as the other miner watched. The insect struck at Linden with its large head, but she jumped high into the air and slammed the sword through its neck, killing it. Linden turned around to see the centipede ripping into the young miners neck, she approached it slowly from behind and took a mighty swing at the insect, wounding it severely, it started to squirm, she threw the sword into its head and left it there, dying.

Linden took one last look at the bloody scene before turning her back on it all and leaving. While walking through a small passage Linden felt a breeze, and she could see a light in the distance. Linden ran through the passage, standing at the exit was a desert soldier, he raised his gun.
“No!” shouted Linden, “Please!”
The soldier let a burst of fire from his gun; he left her dead then wandered into the desert.

Linden was never heard from again, that island was later used for a nuclear testing ground for the US Army. The army never checked the island for inhabitants so they never found the cave where Linden and the others were brutally murdered. All the nuclear blasts destroyed all the evidence of what happened there, so no one was to know the happenings that day.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment