Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Unknown

UPDATED 2/28/07 Added 14
For full Summery see chapter titled summery.
Aang needs a firebending teacher before time runs out. Zuko still wants to capture him. But what happens when he meets an old friend of Uncle Iroh’s and learns . . .

Chapter 5 - Unknown

Chapter 5 - Unknown
IV
Unknown
 
          It was evening.  The sun had not fully set yet, but it was close.  The solemn hour of twilight was upon the land.  Katara had climbed to the top of a small ridge intending to watch the sunset.  She had always liked to do that, though now, in the middle of the war, the sun’s setting seemed almost wrong.  To her it seemed almost sad.  As if the sun knew what was going on in the world.  For her a single moment of peace seemed to stretch for ages before the sun went down.
            She didn’t notice a soft sound of foot steps behind her until Haru sat down on the grass beside her a little way from the edge.
            “I always liked coming up here to watch the sun go down.” He said quietly.  “It always seems to me as if it’s the only time of peace we’ll ever have . . .”
            “I know.” Katara sighed, “I would give anything just to have this war end.”
            “I never did thank you properly for coming after us,” he said softly.  “Nor did I ever apologize for the loss of your necklace.”
            “But it wasn’t your fault!” Katara protested. “Besides, Aang got it back for me.  Zuko got a hold of it some how.  He tried to use it as a bargaining piece and later to track us . . .”
            “I wondered.” Haru paused fishing in his pocket for something.  “Still I made this for you.”  In his hand he held a small bracelet seemingly made out of smooth polished stones.  “I know it’s not much . . . But I did want to say thank you and . . .”
            “It’s beautiful!” Katara gasped.  He motioned for her to hold out her wrist so he could put the bracelet on and she did.  When it was safely fastened he grinned at her then lay back on the grass, arms behind his head and waited for the sun to set.
            Katara sat quietly, contemplating
 
            The next morning was something of a state of chaos.  Every one got up at different times, Sokka insisted on sleeping in, and Aang wanted everybody up as soon as possible.  The morning was chaos.  Thankfully the smell of hotcakes woke Sokka who chose to ignore the fact that Aang had been trying his prickle snake trick again.  And so it was that they all sat around the breakfast table as Haru’s father began telling them his plan.
             Tyro seemed to have everything laid out. In fact it seemed as if he’d been preparing this conversation for some time.  There was a map on the table and a small island seemed to have been circled in a faint outline of charcoal.
            “The island of Kameko is all but forgotten by the fire nation.  There is a small base there, but it has remained unused for so long that it is all but forgotten.  The fire nation soldiers who man the base have been left on their own for so long they have become residents of the island.”
            “So you want us to take Aang to a fire nation base?  The whole idea is . . .” Haru’s father held up a hand and Sokka fell silent.
            “Kameko is part of the earth Kingdome and like most small villages it contains some of our benders.  But in the case of Kameko there has been no attempt to arrest them or even to tax the people.  My wife has an old friend on the island and through her we have heard tails of the fire nation soldiers and the earth benders actually working together.  It is my idea that among these soldiers who have been left on their own so long that they have become part of the islands people, that among they who will willingly work with earth benders, a teacher for fire bending you may be able to find.  You will have to be careful of course.  It is still a fire nation base, but the probability of finding a teacher there is quite favorable.”
           
            A grin spread across Katara’s face.  “Aang this is great!  We might be able to find some one who wants to teach you!”  Aang looked as if he was about to jump for joy but Tyro once again held up a hand.
            “There is more I must tell you.  The people of Kameko are at this time of year preparing for the Great Feast of Lights.  This is a time honored ceremony for them, and so I must explain it to you for they will not gladly welcome anyone who would interfere, but if you know enough of their customs the island people should receive you with open arms as they would at any other time of year.
            “Also because of the ceremony the great sea turtles for with the island is named for will be gathering along the shore, you will have to fly in on the east side, for the turtles are very protective of the island, which also happens to be their breeding ground.
            “And now, if you will all help to clear the table I will tell you about the Feast of Lights, and how to find my wife’s friend, Healer Kiata.”
 

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment