Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 13 - Conversations overheard

UPDATED 2/28/07 Added 14
For full Summery see chapter titled summery.
Aang needs a firebending teacher before time runs out. Zuko still wants to capture him. But what happens when he meets an old friend of Uncle Iroh’s and learns . . .

Chapter 13 - Conversations overheard

Chapter 13 - Conversations overheard
XII
Conversations overheard
 
 
                        .
Together they raced down off the ridge and back into the village.  They very nearly ran several people over on their way to the healer’s house, but the entire village knew what was being searched for and one glance at what Aang carried in his hand was enough to stop any comment.  In fact most people seemed to jump out of the way
When they reached the house Sokka immediately started pounding on the front door.  There was a sound of running feet before the door swung open to reveal a tall lean man obviously of the earth kingdom. 
“I found it!” Aang panted.  Seconds later a girl Aang assumed was Kiata’s apprentice had pushed past him and was running for her mistress.  Aang hadn’t really met her.  She seemed nice enough though.  The man who opened the door led them in to the kitchen where all the ingredients for the cure were laying out on a large wooden table.
            “There’s more.” Aang told him hurriedly slightly worried he’d done something wrong by picking the herb.  Healers could be rather finicky about the way things were done.  “I only picked a little incase all you needed was the flower, but if I did something wrong there’s plenty more . . .”
            “As long as it’s fresh,” The man said giving him a smile.  Aang relaxed a little bit. “Everything will be fine.”  He gestured for the three to sit down Aang and Sokka both took a chair.  Katara however was studying the herbs on the table a look of acute interest on her face. “I don’t dare try to start the cure myself.” The man explained to them, “but as soon as Mistress Kiata gets here it should go relatively fast if you are all willing to lend a hand?”  They all nodded. “Good!  My name is Hagi by the way.  I am from the earth nation.”
            “My name’s Aang.” Aang said grinning; it was nice to be able to help some one.
            “I’m Sokka, and my sister’s name is Katara.” Sokka said jabbing his thumb at Katara who was still looking at the plants on the table.
            “Lavender?” she asked, “What is that used for?”
 
“Migraines . . .” That was all Hagi got out Mistress Kiata and her apprentice came in sending the entire room in to a whirlwind.
 
            It didn’t take long for the cure to be finished and as Mistress Kiata showed Katara and her apprentice what to do next, and while Hagi talked with Sokka about some one they apparently both knew, Aang slipped away.  He wasn’t really being sneaky, and he certainly had no intention to overhear what he did.  Aang simply wanted to go out in to the back garden and see what else the healer had growing.  But he hadn’t made it much farther than the back hall when he saw some one out the window that he recognized.  Crossing the very garden that Aang had intended to visit was Prince Zuko’s Uncle Iroh.  He was being supported by another man who was rather chubby and had the look of a cook about him.  Iroh had apparently done something to his ankle.  At least the cook appeared to be muttering along those lines.  At least the words “must be more careful,” were said repeatedly.  Iroh was settled onto a bench in the garden and the cook made his way to the door.  Aang quickly searched about for a place to hide.  He had to know what was going on here.  Was it one of Zuko’s men who was sick?  Was Hagi a friend or not? Was this whole thing and ambush?  If so how had they known where they would be, and if not where was Zuko?
            He ducked behind a rather large potted plant place in the corner next to a door he could only assume led to a sick room, and crouched as low as he could get, just as the handle of the garden door turned.  Mistress Kiata must have heard some one coming in because a moment later she appeared from the kitchen.
            “Healer, General Iroh’s twisted his ankle.  He saw a cave he though the herb might grow in and slipped trying to climb down.”
            “Where is he now?”
            “On the bench in the back garden.”
            “Bring him in quietly.  There is a chair in his nephew’s room. Place him there for now.”
            “Yes ma’am” he disappeared out side for a moment.  Aang was detained from leaving his hiding place however by Mistress Kiata who stood holding the door for the two men as they came in.
 “I am sorry Kiata.” Iroh said as they gained the door. “I truly thought the flower might grow in that cave or I would not have tried it.”
            “It is alright Iroh.” She said as if addressing an old friend.
            “Will it ever be found?” he sighed sadly
            “You have already lost a son to battle; do you think I will allow you to loose your nephew to poison?” Aang felt as if he had been kicked in the stomach. It was Zuko who was dying? He rather liked the young man, when they were on the same side that was.  Aang certainly didn’t want him to die.  Well he didn’t really want any one to die but that was beside the point.  “The flower was found less then an hour ago by three children” Kiata was saying.  “Visitors to the island.  Two of the water tribe, brother and sister, the third  . . .”
            “Is the Avatar.” Iroh had needed no more description then that which was already given and the healer took his word for it.  “I must ask, Kiata, that if you haven’t already please do not let them know we are here, and if possible do not let Zuko know they are here.”
            “It will be done as you ask.” 
            They entered the room and Aang managed to slip back into the kitchen just in time to hear Hagi telling Sokka his Uncle was on the island.  Seconds later Kiata  snatched Hagi out of his chair and dragged him into the hall, no doubt giving him a warning about saying too much.
It was only a little while before the healer returned to check on the cure only to find it completed.  With a smile for the girls she took the pitcher in both hands and walked carefully from the room.  She never noticed Aang holding the door for her.  He was about to let it close when a voice from the other room startled him. “Father?” Zuko’s voice was soft, barely audible, the voice of a man who’d been bedridden for months rather than a few days.  Aang moved closed the kitchen door behind him, walked down the hall to the sick room and pressed his eye to a crack in the closed door where he could see into the room.  General Iroh sat in a chair beside the bed, one foot propped up on a stool, supporting Zuko who seemed to be struggling to sit up.
“No, it’s your Uncle Iroh.” The others, Hagi, the cook, Kiata and her apprentice were all gathered around the bed.


           “Uncle, where is Father?”
“In his thrown room no doubt. Planning the War.”
“The War!” Zuko gasped. “Uncle I have to find the Avatar, I have to find him.” Aang sighed even ill it seemed Zuko was determined to capture him.
“Shhh, no you don’t. You need to drink this and rest.”
Zuko waved away the glass that Uncle Iroh tried to hold to his lips.  “No I have to find him!  Father must be stopped, I have to find the Avatar and teach . . .” he got no further.  The glass was held to his mouth again and he nearly chocked as a cold liquid poured in.  Aang watched as Zuko sputtered and coughed before moving away from the door slowly.  A small spring of hope welling in his chest.  Was Zuko serious? Or just delusional?  Perhaps, just perhaps, they could be friends after all.
 
            Still thinking he made his way back into the kitchen. “Aang where were you?” Katara asked a small note of worry in her voice.
            “Oh, I just . . . went out side for a walk.  I’m sorry if I worried you Katara.”
            She smiled at him and it was all Aang could do not to grin goofily back. “Perhaps we better come back in the morning.” Katara said, “I don’t want to be in the way.”
            “Why don’t we go to the sea shore?” Sokka suggested.  That sounded like a good idea to all and they made their way out side. “Hey Katara! Guess what Hagi told me . . .” Sokka started as they walked toward the beach.  Aang walked slowly behind them, his thoughts on something other that Sokka and Katara’s uncle.
 
            The morning came quickly.  The small group made their way leisurely from their camping spot to the village in search of breakfast.  But as they topped a ridge where they could see the village below them, and stopped in shock.  People were running every where.  They ran to the top of the next hill and stopped to watch.  There was no way they could run in blindly and win.  Aang had to know what was happening if he wanted to be helpful in the least. A fire nation ship had apparently remembered the base.  Local soldiers were on their knees bound to prevent interference. As well as the cook from Zuko’s ship who sat in the center of the line of prisoners.  Soldiers from the ship ransacked the town searching for something. A young soldier was arguing with an older man, a fire admiral, whom he closely resembled.  Father and son? Another figure stepped between the two, one Aang knew on sight, Azula.  She pointed and the young man went.  Obviously furious.
 
Aang grabbed his staff and prepared to run for all he was worth just to get down there in time, when something else happened.  A young man ran out of the door of the healer’s house.  Barefoot, wearing only a baggy pair of brown pants and an untucked white shirt, but Aang knew it had to be Zuko. The cure had apparently worked. No one else would rush to face Azula like that! He didn’t manage much of anything.  A few words were apparently exchanged, Zuko took a fighting stance and the young soldier snuck up behind him and hit him across the back of the head with the hilt of a sword. Zuko fell. The young soldier picked him up and slung the princes body across the back of his shoulders before making his way to the docks.  The other prisoner’s marching behind him.  The Fire nation had gotten what they came for.  Aang who had started running the moment Zuko had been hit was seconds too late.  He rushed to the healer’s house unsure of what to do only to find Uncle Iroh struggling out the door on his bad foot.
            “Please Avatar . . .”
            “Don’t worry, I’ll bring him back.” Aang said before Iroh could finish. “You might say I owe the Blue Spirit a favor.” Uncle Iroh appeared startled but nodded.
            “Well you’re not going alone.” Sokka said as he reached the house bending double to catch his breath.  Katara ran up behind him.
            “But how’ll we find them?” she asked.
            “You girl are staying with me to help with the healing.  I need your talent.” Healer Kiata said walking up. Her usual neat hair hanging in her face and her skirt was slightly singed. “The boys can take one of the turtles.  They can feel the wake of a ship and they’ll be far less conspicuous than that flying bison.”

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

zukoswife on August 2, 2006, 10:41:31 AM

zukoswife on
zukoswifeVERY VERY SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(I WILL COME AFTER YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

haley_and_delanies_art on July 16, 2006, 5:52:27 AM

haley_and_delanies_art on
haley_and_delanies_artOMG that ROCKED you HAVE to update SOON!!!!!!!!!!!