Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 14 - To be Set Free

UPDATED 2/28/07 Added 14
For full Summery see chapter titled summery.
Aang needs a firebending teacher before time runs out. Zuko still wants to capture him. But what happens when he meets an old friend of Uncle Iroh’s and learns . . .

Chapter 14 - To be Set Free

Chapter 14 - To be Set Free




XIII
To be Set Free
 
When he awoke for the second time he found he was being dragged across the sand of a small sand bar.  He franticly struggled to his feet, but the guards holding his arms never changed pace.  Zuko could see Azula up a head of him.  She of course was being carried in a sedan chair. No reason to make the Princess walk, but let’s just drag the heir to the thrown across the beach, Zuko thought bitterly.  He very quickly changed his attitude from feeling sorry for him self to scanning his surroundings.  It seemed the ship had landed on the tip of a small peninsula within the quiet bay.  Before him was the most morbid sight Zuko thought he’d ever seen. A prison camp, but not the typical high security camp enemy soldiers and benders were kept in.  It seemed this one had been built for civilians.  Several rings of shabby tents in the center housed the prisoners, and surrounding them were several ring of white and red canvassed, high walled, wide service tents ringed by a wall of spikes.  No doubt those that housed the soldiers that had been spared for this despicable job.  Zuko very soon realized that most of the soldiers around him were not soldiers at all but raw recruits.  It seemed the prison camp was actually a boot camp.


This troubled him to no end.  Surly as the crown prince and a firebender, Zuko warranted some worry.  He should by all reason be kept in a high security prison.  Either some one wanted him to escaped, unlikely for Azula, or this was the last place on earth anyone would try a rescue attempt.  Come to think of it any one looking for him would probably try at one of the higher security camps.


Zuko was never allowed any time to hope for escape.  He was very quickly taken to a small tent at the center of the rings and chained spread eagle against two poles on the inside.  His hands and wrists were placed in a cuff like steal manacles, and his feet in thick anklets.  The chains were stretched till they were as tight as they could be with out lifting Zuko off his feet and into the air. The whole position was highly uncomfortable and there was no way he could bend his way out of this. Trying to melt the manacles would cause burns worse than the one that marred his face.


They left him there in that tent.  No food, no water, no visits from Azula trying to taunt him.  It was strange Zuko realized suddenly.  He had seen no sign of his sister’s friends.  Had they finally regained their senses and left her? Or had they become part of some further plot in case he hadn’t been captured?
 
He was left there several hours as the light faded, with nothing to do but muse over his fate and wonder how things could have been different.  Perhaps he never should have become the Blue spirit, or perhaps he should have turned himself in, in the first place.  He could see where he was now and trace each of the steps that had led him here.  The strange thing was each had seemed necessary at the time.  Alright so maybe he shouldn’t have stolen the Ostrichhorse from Song, and he really hadn’t needed to leave his Uncle behind to travel alone, but then if he hadn’t, he never would have met Lee.  Helping that kid Jet really hadn’t been necessary.  But what had been necessary had been speaking up in the war chamber.
      He had never meant to shame his father but surly the highest respect was the refusal to fight him.  For that he had been burned and banished.  From there it had become simple. Or so he had thought.  Capture the Avatar and return home.  But that had led to a chase around the world.  Then it had become necessary to save the Avatar from Zhao, which in turn lead to the becoming the blue spirit, as well as the incident at the North Pole.
      

When Azula had come for him and Uncle it had been necessary to return home with honor, not in chains.  And he still held to that ideal.  To do that he had needed to become a refugee, and for a time he had enjoyed his time in Ba Sing Se, until Azula had shown up.  He didn’t know why but every step he had taken had seemed to be the right one at the time and now he was here. The worse thing was that some where along that line he had forgotten about his people.  And now it was too late.

Zuko stirred coming out of his stupper and letting his thoughts fade away as the tent flap moved and a lantern was thrust through.  An arm very quickly followed the hand holding the lantern and that was followed by a man Zuko knew quite well.  He stared at the face in front of him unwilling to believe that the best friend of his childhood could have been among those here at this camp.  The sheer misery of the prisoners here was more than Zuko believed any one could live with on a day to day basis, surly not the man in front of him.  Azula maybe but not Yul.  He was tall and thin, but Yul lacked the horse face of his father, Ishi.  Truth be told Yul was actually considered quite handsome, though Zuko himself had all too often thought his friend looked like a human stork.

“I’m sorry Zuko.” His friend muttered gesturing to the knot on the back of Zuko’s head. “But I truly believe Azula would have killed you otherwise.  I’d rather see you injured then dead.”
            Zuko swallowed, it seemed they were still friends despite the circumstances.  But still . . . “Why are you here?”
            “Believe me when I tell you I don’t want to be. I’ve requested transfer after transfer only to be turned down time and time again.  It’s terrible here, what these people go through here.  What’s worse is most of them are peasants.  People who could never harm us, but the generals want them out of the way.  Even some of ours who have spoken out against the war one to many times.  I won’t say I’m not surprised to see you here Zuko.  You always were rather vocal in your dislike of this war.”
            Zuko sighed but said nothing still watching his onetime friend.
            “I came to tell you.  Several of the watch have seen shadows sneaking around the bay.  Probably just some type of animal.  The General, my father, is convinced the soldiers are jumping at wolves.  But I tell you this, and by our friendship you know it to be true, I would not be sorry to see you escape tonight.  You understand I can’t help you of course.  But if you disappear I will not look too hard.”
            “Thank you Yul.” Zuko whispered.  Yul nodded, content, picked up the lantern and left.  There were shadows, Zuko mused, but his Uncle was injured and no one else truly cared enough about him to risk their lives.  So who could it be?
 
            He didn’t have too long to wait.  One by one the lights faded as various lanterns outside were put out for sleep and very soon after, a small figure slipped into the tent.  The light was poor, but Zuko could see well enough to make out the arrow tattooed atop the figure’s head.
            “Avatar?”
            “Some one asked for my help.”

Zuko studied Aang’s face as the younger boy picked the lock the manacle that held his left wrist.
“Did you mean it?” Aang asked looking up from his task?”
“Did I mean what?” having not had contact with the Avatar for some time Zuko was more then a little confused at this question.  Hurriedly he racked his mind trying to discover what it could be the other boy was talking about.
“I was in the healer’s house while you were sick.  I over heard you tell your Uncle you would teach me.”
            Zuko nodded slightly everything making since to him now. “My father has never been what my people believe him to be.  Most don’t believe my face to be scared and the rest make up stories of a training accident just to keep him in a favorable light.”  His mouth twisted with a bitter frown. “But recently there have been reports of insurrection.  People have finally realized that this war is wrong in more ways then one and they will do anything to stop it, I’ve known this for some time though it’s taken recent events to actually make me decide to do something.. I am the crown prince If the fire lord can be dethroned quickly and the thrown passes to me, then I can declare an end to this.  I can take care of my people with out sending their sons off to die. There would be no need for civil war.” He paused taking a deep breath, the lock clicked and the manacle fell open. Aang caught the chain just before it could clatter to the floor.
            “Yes Avatar I meant what I said.  If you would be willing I will teach you.”
            “Good, because nobody else seems to want to.” Aang laughed softly as he moved to the next manacle.
 
            It took some time to get the chains undone. Every time a shadow passed the tent both of them jumped, but Aang worked quietly and no one came to interrogate Zuko, though he was half expecting it at every moment.  The moment the last manacle fell from his left ankle Zuko and Aang slipped out the back of the small tent and into the shadows.  As quietly as they could they slipped behind the camp and out towards the camp where Aang said Sokka was waiting with a turtle.  What a turtle had to do with anything Zuko didn’t know, but he wasn’t about to waist time asking useless questions.  If it was important he’d find out sooner or later, but right now silence was crucial.
 
            It didn’t last.  They got just beyond the final row of tents when Aang tripped over a stray piece of firewood and went tumbling  . . . right into a pile of dirty dishes.  One of the soldiers must have left them there to take down to the beach for scrubbing, but that’s not what Zuko cared about at the moment.  As Aang flew into the pots there was a horrible clanging and tent flaps flew open every where as soldiers rushed out.  Since the Traitor was escaping and the Avatar helping him, they few into action grabbing what ever weapon was handy and rushing after the two.
            Zuko forced his tired form to run, Aang some where behind him bending bursts of air that sent the guards flying back into their comrades.  Zuko did spare him a second glance.  Weak as he was, there was no chance he would be of any use in this fight.  Suddenly he heard a rushing sound and felt himself snatched into the air as Aang Helicoptered over his and wrapped his legs around Zuko’s torso, much as he had done to lift the two of them over the wall when Zuko has masqueraded as the Blue Spirit.
            Up ahead of him Zuko could see Sokka.  The water tribe boy was astride a Giant turtle already halfway out of the bay.  Apparently the possibility that they might be spotted had already been planned for.  Looking over his shoulder Zuko could see archers fitting arrows to the string, but the Avatar had already carried him out of rang.  The arrows fell short.  For a moment he wondered why they had taken so long to fire and then something else caught his eye.  Near the center of the camp were several collapsed tents as well as no fewer than five fires possibly started from a handful of over turned torches. And surprisingly there was a number of soldiers headed in the opposite direction.  It seemed a number of other prisoners had escaped inland. Yul had been as good as his word.
 
            They didn’t really land on the turtle’s back more drooped onto it.  Zuko stayed where he had fallen lying on his back atop the smooth shell.  Aang settled cross-legged next to Sokka who shot Zuko a suspicious look.  He didn’t really care though.  He had found what he needed, the courage to do what he knew in his heart was right, and his people would benefit from it. He looked up at Aang and got a cocky grin in return.
            “I expect you to apply your self.”
            “I will.”
            “And I expect you to listen to me when I say something’s too dangerous.”
Sokka snorted.
            “I will.”
            “Because one mistake with fire bending can destroy a life.”
            “I know.”
“You realize Aang, I won’t be an easy task master.”
            “Just don’t think that I’ll be so easy to teach.”


 

End
 



Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

haley_and_delanies_art on March 26, 2007, 7:06:41 AM

haley_and_delanies_art on
haley_and_delanies_artLOL Wow nice ending!