Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Introductions

The upper aristocracy of the Fire Nation isn't something you live with, it’s something you survive. It soon becomes necessary to learn what you can with out letting any one know what you know, and occasionally, tiptoe around those who wish to rule.

Chapter 2 - Introductions

Chapter 2 - Introductions
II

Nobody looked at me when I stepped out side. This was understandable for the two boy's who were playing some sort of racing game up and down the terrace, and one of the girl's had her back to me so she couldn't have known I was there. The other however, deliberately looked away. The two girls were sitting on a fountain in the middle of the terrace and pointedly ignoring the boys who ran past them two or there times in succession. I could also see an elderly lady sitting in a near by corner knitting something and watching the kids. She smiled at me but said nothing.

The boys saw me first. Both smiled and waved though they continued the run. The winner of their game apparently had to be the first to do so many laps around the fountain. It was obvious that the older was allowing his cozen to win. The younger of the two nearly tripped as he waved and the girl whose back had previously been turned away looked up and around. She didn't actually smile at me but her look quite plainly said 'finally some one else to talk too.' I couldn't help but smile at her. She took my smile as an invitation and immediately stood and walked over to me. The girl had dark hair and eyes, and her hair was in an elaborate form of pigtails. He companion who's hair was up formally, rolled her golden eyes before following.
"I'm Mai." She said walking up to me.
"My name's Lien." I answered still smiling.
"Are you one of Azula's friends too?" Mai asked me. She had started out in a bored tone of voice but as she asked this question she actually seemed some what interested in the answer. Before I could open my mouth the other girl jumped in.
"No, she's not. She's the daughter of the adviser my daddy's talking to. She's only here because my daddy said she could come." Azula talked right over my head like her father had earlier. Mai did not.
"Well since you are here Lien perhaps you can help make things a bit more interesting. Azula wanted to teach me a game, but the boys won't play and it's no fun with just two people."
"Sure I . . ."
"Who said she was invited, Mai?" Azula stomped up right in front of me and stuck her face in mine. She was slightly taller then I was and so she had to stoop a little to look in my eyes. I didn't move. "Who said I wanted you here?"

I opened my mouth stunned. I had never thought that I might be unwelcome. Father had brought me with permission, and Mai seemed to want me around. Maybe Azula was like the bullies Tao had told me about. Tao had said if you stand up to them then they won't think they can make you do anything. At least, I thought that's what Tao had said. Taking deep breath I answered her.
"I was invited. Your father said . . ." I never got any further.
"Azula, stop it." Mai snapped, "She doesn't know you think that's funny." before Azula could answer the two boys came over to find out what was going on.
I have already said that Zuko was a year older than my self. His cozen was eight years older that me and quite a bit taller, and I'm afraid to say I turned shy. He was kind though and didn't poke fun at my suddenly red face. Rather Lu Ten immediately addressed Azula demanding to know what was going on and why I looked frightened.
"I was just making a small joke." Azula smiled innocently, "I didn't realize she would take me seriously."
"Azula, your jokes are never funny." Her brother muttered.
"Says who, Zuzu?"
"DON'T CALL ME THAT." Zuko shouted immediately taking offence to the pet name. I wondered briefly who had come up with it.
Lu Ten put a stop to that argument before it could turn into a full blown brawl. "Why don't we play a game? Something we can all agree on." A pointed look was shot at Azula. And so it was that for the next thirty minutes every one sat on the steps that led from the terrace to the yard. Lu Ten sat in the middle with me on one side and Zuko on the other. Azula and Mai perched on the step below us. Lu Ten went to some trouble making sure Zuko and Azula were on opposite side from each other. Nearly every suggestion we could come up with was shot down by some one.
"Pi sho?" Lu Ten asked
"That is so boring." Mai answered, "How about hide and seek or sardines?"
"Father wouldn't like that.  "Zuko answered.
"How about if we didn't go in the house?"
"That might work."
"But I don't want to play baby games." Mai looked a bit hurt and Azula muttered an apology when she received the look from her cozen.
"Ball?" Zuko suggested
"Some one would have to sit out, dum dum."
"HEY!"
"Guys!" the warning in Lu Ten's voice was not to be ignored. Things went on like this for some time with each person offering a suggestion and some one else shooting down. They didn't want to play that game, too many people were needed, not enough people could play, and the list went on.
"What about cards?" I ventured eventually. Everybody looked at me and then smiled. No one could think of an objection. Lu Ten went back to the house and returned with a deck of hand painted cards. Not the question was what game to play. Mai wanted something fun, while Azula wanted something she could win, she flat out refused to play slaps, and Lu Ten wanted to teach everybody a new game he learned at school. Neither Zuko nor myself had an opinion, but Zuko voted opposite his sister every time her opinion was voiced. There was some argument until it was suggested that we all take turns. I did wonder why Azula and her brother fought so much. My brother's never fought with me.
We all spread out in a circle on the terrace to play and everyone seemed to be enjoying them selves. Zuko and Azula broke out into several squabbles each accusing the other of cheating. Lu Ten stepped in each time to put a stop to it but at one point he looked over at the old woman who was still sitting in her corner. She only smiled her encouragement and nodded at him before going back to her knitting.

It was this way our fathers found us. Both men smiled at the scene, and father collected me to leave. Pleasantries were exchanged and I clambered into the carriage thinking I'd been lucky to make so many new friends. Father climbed in across from me and the carriage started the two hour journey back to town. He informed me that we were going out to dinner and that we would then pick up my mother and see a play. I clapped my hands with joy. I never got to see any plays except when there were performers in the street and even then I was never allowed to watch the entire thing. Father however refused to tell me what the play would be about and so I changed the subject instead asking him a question that had been burning in my mind all day.

"Father, how come Azula and Zuko fight so much?"
Father threw back his head and roared with laughter. "Honey, Zuko and Azula are so close in age I'd be surprised if they didn't fight. You and your brother's are so far apart that I'm afraid you've been spoiled. Perhaps you should spend time with children your own age more often."

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment