Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Vsiting

The upper aristocracy of the Fire Nation isn't something you live with, it’s something you survive. It soon becomes necessary to learn what you can with out letting any one know what you know, and occasionally, tiptoe around those who wish to rule.

Chapter 5 - Vsiting

Chapter 5 - Vsiting
nbsp;        
                That was the nature of my relationship with the royal Family for some time.  My father would, as a favor to the Prince, offer to watch Zuko and Azula when needed.  Very rarely, if ever was I invited back to the Manor before Azula and I attended school together.  When I was, it was at Zuko’s invitation, not Azula’s.  I truly don’t think Azula ever cared much for me.  I was an antidote for her boredom.  Never really a friend, and certainly not a confidant like Mai.       
 
      The first of the sparse occasions I visited the manor before school, was, like my first visit, and accident. Just after my seventh birthday Mother and I were at the market and we were just about the leave the tailors when Lady Ursa arrived escorting a very sullen looking Zuko through the door. “Really Zuko we need to get you some new pants.  The knees are out of nearly every pair you own.”   
   
      “But Mom . . .” Zuko never got to finish his complaint. Lady Ursa spotted my mother in an instant and the two immediately fell to talking, never mind that we were on our way out and Zuko needed new pants.   
  
       “. . . and he’s taking you to the Astron Opera? How wonderful.” Lady Ursa said to my mother speaking of my Father’s latest escapade.     
       “Yes Lori was supposed to watch Lein that day, but with her own girl sick . . . I’m just not sure . . .”     
 
      “Well surly you know some one else.  There’s no reason to give up the trip for one little mishap . . .” The opera was almost half a day’s ride away and the show itself would last several hours.  There was no way I would be able to sit still that long and one of Mother’s friends had offered to watch me while my parents enjoyed them selves.  But with the recent illness going around my mother was actually considering staying home.  
 
           Zuko had been listening to the conversation and understanding what was going on and immediately began tugging on the corner of his mother’s robe.            “The Opera’s tomorrow and you’ve been looking forward to it . . . yes dear.”    
 
         “Lein could stay with us.”  
 
          “What?” Lady Ursa knelt down to better hear her son, and Zuko looked earnestly into her face.   
 
         “Lein could stay with us while her parents go to the . . . the . . . where ever it is.  We have lots of room, and when you go some where me and Azula have stayed with them . . .” he trailed off looking suddenly unsure, but his mother only hugs him.             “That’s a wonderful Idea.”  Zuko shot me a huge grin and I smiled back.     
 
       “Are you sure it won’t be an intrusion?”   
 
         “Absolutely.”  
 
           Mother and father dropped me off on their way to the opera.  Zuko and his mother were waiting patiently for me in the courts yard by a small pond that was home to a family of turtle ducks.  Azula too was waiting, though she was anything but patient.  After my parents left Lady Ursa looked at us.   
 
         “So do you children have any idea what you want to do?” 
 
           Azula opened her mouth but her brother spoke first, “I do.” He said grabbing my hand and pulling me to the stairs. “Come on I want to show you my collection.”  Ursa smile as he lead me, and walked away.  Azula followed reluctantly.  Zuko lead me down to corridors to what was obviously his room.  Dragging me inside he pulled me to face one of the walls and I saw immediately what he was talking about when he had said collection.  Much like Tao’s room at home, this wall supported a large display of blades.  Swords, knives daggers, some ornamental, some plain.  This was Zuko’s pride and joy.     
 
       “Uncle Iroh sent me that one from the ruins in Arich.  Don’t know how he found it, but he gave it to me!”  The pride in his voice was unmistakable. 
 
           “Such a waist of time.” Azula muttered from behind us, but for once Zuko ignored her, “those are my favorite.” He said pointing to a set of broad swords. “I’m not very good with them yet. Your brothers been teaching me off and on though . . .” he pulled down a small dagger and unsheathed it. “Stand back I want to show you something.” Tossing the sheath on the bed he began to lunge and parry.   
 
         Azula disappeared at some point during the demonstration but I didn’t care.  Then Zuko decides that I should learn to use the dagger.  He beckoned me forward and placed the blade in my right hand.  
 
          “Hold it like this see? And the lunge forward.”   
 
         “Lunge?” 
 
           “Take a large step and bend your body as you go with the blade out in front . . . like this.” He took the Dagger back and demonstrated before passing it to me again.  I fumbled the move several times but eventually got it.  
 
          “I did it!” I said excitedly turning to Zuko who grinned at me. “I really did it!”   
 
         “You sure did.” A deep hearty voice said from the doorway to the room, and then came a rolling laugh. 
 

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

naturesgirl on June 3, 2007, 8:23:38 AM

naturesgirl on
naturesgirlWow, I'm very surprised no one has commented on this story yet! You have a wonderful skill for writing in your own style, and describing the events in the right balance. Though there may be a few typos or misspellings, you have a wonderful story going so far. And by the overall description, I can tell there's a lot in store for this fanfic. Please continue writing ^^.