Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - AND THE NIGHT GETS...interesting

The story of a girl who one night stops a boy from being beaten up and suddenly her world is spiralling out of control. Strange powers, talking werewolves and dragons, bad food and romance are all found within these pages.

Chapter 2 - AND THE NIGHT GETS...interesting

Chapter 2 - AND THE NIGHT GETS...interesting
Tracy sent out flames of about 40000˚C.
Hot enough to melt almost any and everything.

One of the goons was roasted immediately and might not have survived had the other goon not pulled him out of the way.

The leader stared with an eyebrow lifted.

“Well that was unexpected,” he said mildly.

It was like those were the magic words, because right after he said it, Tracey turned off the fire and fell to her knees breathing heavily.

The leader walked over to her and put out his hand as if he wanted to help her up.

Tracey put her hands behind her back pointedly. A clear sign of rejection.

It didn’t do much good.

The leader rolled his eyes then yanked her hand out, lifted her up and she tried to snatch her hand back.

“Stay away from me! I’ll…I’ll burn you!” she screamed.

The leader sighed in exasperation.
“Listen, I promise you no harm. And anyways, you seem to have spent your newly discovered powers. You have about a good chance of burning me as starting a forest fire in a mall.” He said.

Although she knew that he was right about her being spent, but there was no WAY in heaven or hell she was going to trust him after he had:

1 .Tortured her
2. Messed with her head
3. Told his friends to eat her

Then he shook her hand very formally and said, “My name is River Thompson, these are my associates, Rae McAllister and Clay Lancer.” Nodding to his charred and cheerless friends.

Tracey then pulled her arm as hard as she could the second he let go. As a result, she fell on her butt (and none too gently).

At first she was embarrassed, but then she scrambled to the unconscious boy’s side who they had forgotten.

Before she could speak, River said, “Don’t worry, you can take the boy. He’s not worth this much trouble. You on the other hand are much more interesting.”

Then he leaned in and pressed his lips on hers.

He got a slap on the face for his trouble.

“Stay AWAY from me you filthy-mind-infiltrating-vamp!” Tracey screamed

He just laughed as he sauntered to his car with his goons in tow.

But just before he got into his car, he called back to her, “By the way, you might like to know, that kid you just saved? Yeah he’s a ‘filthy-mind-infiltrating-vamp’, too.” Then he slid into the car and slammed the door.

Then Tracey looked down at the bruised and battered boy.

Then she said two words.

“Aw, crap.”
*
The next day at 2.20AM, Tracey walked back to her house with an unconscious boy slung over her shoulder.
The moment she walked into her house, her foster parents Toni and Rich were on her like flies.

“Where have you been young lady?”

“Do you know how worried we’ve been?”

“What time do you call this?”

“We almost called the police!”

“What in the name of all the seven seas have you been doing?”

At first Tracey tried to answer the questions, but then she realised that her foster parents were actually enjoying themselves, so she went into the kitchen, put the unconscious boy on the table then opened his mouth.

There was a pair of fangs in there, not as big as the ones in Clay or Rae’s mouth, but still as sharp.

Toni and Rich gasped when they saw the fangs but did nothing.

Until Tracey lifted her forearm to his fangs to try and make them pierce her skin.

“What are you doing?” Toni screamed. Tracey turned to her and said quietly, “I am trying to help a boy who obviously can’t help himself.”

As she said those words the look on her face changed. Her face that had been tired now looked determined.

Toni wanted to argue further, but Rich stopped her, saying, “Just give her some room.”

Little did they know he was lying. He wanted Tracey to freak out on her own and never try what the heck she was trying ever again.

Tracey tried to impale her arm on the sharp fangs, but every time she tried, they seemed to retract.

After trying four times, Tracey decided that she would have to try something a bit more drastic.

She walked to a drawer and pulled out a wicked looking serrated knife that would have had Sweeney Todd running for cover.

Before Toni or Rich could say anything, she had cut a line across her forearm, shallow enough not to be serious, but deep enough to run.

She put her bleeding arm to the boy’s lips and he began to instinctively lap up the blood.

Behind her, Toni recoiled in disgust.

All of a sudden, his fangs turned back into normal canines and the boy woke up.

He looked around slowly, and then touched a hand to the side of his mouth and when it came away he looked at the blood on his hand.

“Oh no,” he whispered. “I killed somebody.” Tracey was a bit taken aback.

When she had finally revived him she had sort of been hoping that it would go a bit more like:

-Oh thank you kind lady for saving me!

-It was nothing little boy, I was happy to help.

-No, really, I must thank you, you see I am the only son of a kind and rich old man, so I was thinking if you’d like to have half of my $10,000,000,000,000,000 inheritance, I’d be all to willing to oblige.

-No thank you little boy, a quarter is more than enough. Etc.

Or at least, something to that effect.

What she WASN’T expecting was for a boy to admit to murder.

“I lost control. I must have drunk the person dry! I’m a vampire for life!” he said sadly, the severity sinking into him deeply.

For Tracey, not so much.

All Tracey could understand was that the boy thought that he had eaten someone, so she hastened to explain.

“Hey kid, if you’re talking about the blood around your mouth that’s from me. If you’re talking about something else then-”

But that was as far as she got.

“Yippee! I’m not a va-mp, I’m not a va-mp!” he sang happily as he bounced round the room.

Then Tracey, who had decided that she deserved some answers just then, grabbed him by the scruff of his neck and smacked his butt into the chair.

“All right kid, why don’t you just park your @$$ for a while and answer a few questions for me huh?” Tracey asked in a sweet syrupy voice which basically meant that she was annoyed.

The kid, not knowing her, said happily, “I don’t care what you make me do ’cause I’m not a va-mp!”

Just then, Tracey’s patience snapped like an overstretched elastic band.

“Alright, I have HAD enough! I want ANSWERS buddy boy and if I don’t get them, so help me, you will wish that I had let them stuff you into that bag! You tell me everything or there will be hell to pay,” she managed to say in a civil tone, which was pointless because she wasn’t saying anything civil anyways.

The boy was slightly taken aback by Tracey’s ferocity, but he asked bravely, “Okay, what do you want to know?”

Rich who had been standing motionlessly since Tracey had cut herself asked gently as he could, “What’s your name?”

The boy leaned his head to one side and said slowly, “When they changed me, they gave me a name, but I wouldn’t accept it. I don’t remember the name I had when I was full human but I think it was Reid.”

They all nodded.

Then Toni, encouraged by her husband’s success asked, “How old are you?”

Reid answered promptly, “Ten.”

Then Tracey asked “What were you doing in the alley? What did those guys want? How did you become a vampire?”

Reid wrinkled his nose and frowned.

“Well I’m technically not a full vampire yet, see, one day I was playing in the park and then I went into the forest-y bit. Then someone came up behind me and bit me on the arm and I fell asleep. When I woke up I was in this place that looked like a skyscraper because when I went to look out the window, we were really high up, and I had been asleep for a long time.
“Then this man came in and told me I was one of the Begaafde Degenen*. I asked him what it was and he said that it meant I was gifted and it was my duty to help them. I told him to take me back home but he said he had erased my parent’s memories of me so now that was my home. I pretended to agree so that he would leave me alone and the moment it was morning, because I thought that vampires couldn’t go out in the day.”

He paused and yawned.

Toni, who had been listening in rapture snapped back to reality.

“Oh you poor boy! You must be bushed!” she gushed sympathetically, forgetting that a few minutes ago, he had been the most revolting monster in existence to her.

“Why don’t I show you to a room where you can spend the night?” she asked.

As she left, Tracey followed.

Rich, however, stayed behind.

“Tracey?” he called.

Tracey turned, mid-step.

“We’ll talk about this later.

Tracey nodded.

Rich smiled and said under his breath, “See you tomorrow.”


*Dutch for gifted ones

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment