Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - Episode 6: Tooth and Claw

There is a new Sailor Soldier in town, and a new plot to steal the energy of the Earth. The first chapter is short and kinda sucks because I wrote it ages ago, but starting chapter 2 it gains real credibility and depth unfolding an epic story about

Chapter 7 - Episode 6: Tooth and Claw

Chapter 7 - Episode 6: Tooth and Claw
Sailor Moon P
Episode 6: Tooth and Claw

“I can’t believe it!” Malachite thundered as he paced about the covered Mall parking garage where he and Garth the Midnight cat were hiding out. “You are such an idiot, cat! Not only did you not find the crystal fracture, but your target also just HAPPENED to be a sleeping soldier! And through your stupidity, you used our power to awaken her!” Garth rolled his glowing, yellow pupil-less eyes as Malachite continued to rant. “Now, thanks to you, we have SEVEN Sailor Soldiers to deal with instead of six! And there’s still that ever-annoying Tuxedo Mask hanging around! And to add to it all, you’re a cat, so that would mean that I’m the one who’s going to get blamed for it all!”
“Stop your bellyaching.” Garth said, sounding tired. “We don’t have time to worry about all of this. We are coming up on five days of this mission, and we can barely afford to stand around as it is.”
“You always say that!” Malachite cried, no less aggravated. “It’s always ‘we don’t have time’ ‘we have to keep going’ ‘crystal fractures, crystal fractures, crystal fractures!’ Maybe I’d care about your little mission if I didn’t know that you were USING me, cat!” He plopped down against a support beam and put his face in his hand. “Oh, I’m the biggest fool in the whole Negaverse! Beryl is going to roast me and eat me for dinner when she hears that I’ve been wasting my time following a cat and looking for the pieces of a broken crystal that she doesn’t know exists.” Garth rolled his eyes again as Malachite continued to pity himself. “And, on top of that, I’ll have to tell her that she was wrong and that there is no rainbow crystal. Instead, the whole eighth crystal thing was a cover up schemed by a talking cat who wants to overturn the monarchy! And I’ll top it off by accusing her own daughter for plotting against her! That is, if she doesn’t already kill me before I get to that point!” He let out a sigh, and most of his aggression with it. He looked at the dirty floor of the garage. “Zoicite, I’m sorry you have such an incompetent tool for a lover. The last time you’ll see me, I’ll be a pile of ashes on the marble floor of the Great Hall.”
“Who’s this Zoicite you are talking to?” Garth asked, trying to change the subject. His ears were hurting from all of Malachite’s shouting.
“Why do you care?” Malachite snapped, annoyed still.
“Is she your imaginary friend?” Garth asked, cynically. “You speak to her as if there was someone there, but there’s not.”
“Don’t talk to me.” Malachite shoved himself up and walked to the side of the garage. They were several stories up, and when he leaned out the side, he could see the people and cars coming and going on the street in front of the mall. ‘Hm, maybe I should jump and get it over with. It would save me the disgrace.’ But Garth appeared on the banister beside him. Maybe it came from hanging out with Kyanite, but Garth could tell that he’d touched a nerve in Malachite. He had no intention of apologizing, but he did want to get on better terms, at least somewhat.
The navy cat stared down at the unsuspecting people below. “Pathetic life-forms, aren’t they?”
“What?” Malachite glanced over, still feeling perturbed. He caught a glimpse of the knowing, hatred on the cat’s face.
“The little human scum who walk the streets of Earth. They are unaware that they are not alone in this universe. They don’t know that there are other, equally as pathetic humans walking the streets of other planets in other universes.” He slitted his eyes, his ears eternally back along his neck. “They don’t know that there are even other races. Other life forms on other planets. Planets like Chatla.” His eyes closed. “Poor, deceased Chatla.”
“Chatla? I have never heard of a planet by that name.”
“Of course you haven’t.” Garth said. “You are a human, too. There are too many of you. Chatla, however, was a small place completely populated by talking cats. I was young when it happened. The Sailor Soldiers from all over the universe were warring. Chatla was just a casualty. They didn’t even acknowledge that they had destroyed it until it was too late. I was with my father off-planet. I only heard who destroyed my home when my father would begin to swear against humans for doing it. The replays would play over and over on the screen as my father screamed and hissed. He taught me what humans were really like. The only humans I’d ever known had been the Sailor Soldiers. They betrayed us. They and their human hearts.” Garth jumped back into the garage. “Such is the curse of humans.”
“Don’t you think its unfair that you judge the whole human race fore something a handful of teenage girls did to your planet?” Malachite asked, looking back.
“What I think is unfair is that fact that humans keep cats as pets.” Garth grumbled. “It’s all about humans and their lust for power.” The Midnight Cat headed out of the garage, driven back into distaste.
Malachite turned to find him on his way down to the ground level. “It’s always about you, isn’t it!?”

* * *

Olivia was in her room at 8:00 on Sunday morning. Unlike Saturday, she couldn’t sleep in on Sundays because her family went to church. She was up early choosing what she wanted to wear. ‘Hmm..’ she thought as she thumbed through her closet. Being October, this was only the third week that Olivia was forced to choose from her fall wardrobe. She’d forgotten how lousy it was. ‘What should I do?’ As she looked, she came upon the only outfit she really liked. It was a long skirt with a crème colored shirt and brown, woven vest. It was because it was the only one she liked, she’d worn it for the past three weeks. On spur of the moment, she decided to wear it again. After getting dressed, Olivia grabbed a brush and ran downstairs to shove in some breakfast. Jennifer, her older sister, was already there.
Jennifer was wearing a khaki skirt and a red-velvet top. She had her hair pulled back in a spider clip and sat drinking instant breakfast one spoonful at a time. Olivia sat down and began to brush though her long golden hair. Jennifer turned her green-hazel eyes to watch her. “Don’t brush your hair at the table, that’s disgusting.”
“No it’s not.” Olivia said, moving to her very bushy bangs, which she was trying to grow out.
“It is too!” Jennifer cried, taking a break from her chocolate milk. “You’re sitting in my seat! What if you were me and you were eating and found a three-foot long hair in your food!?”
“Okay, okay, I’ll move.” Olivia said, getting up and moving to the pantry.
“Not in the kitchen either!!!” Jennifer exclaimed. “That’s even worse! Go do it in the bathroom or something.”
“Alright already!” Olivia surrendered. “I’ll be right back.”
Olivia left and Jennifer smiled. She was glad she wasn’t Olivia, because her little sister was always getting hair everywhere. That was, in part, to the fact that she had so much of it, but also because she was the only blonde in the family. Jennifer’s hair was brown and shoulder-length, their mother had her brown hair cut short, and their father’s hair was nearly black. She turned back to her breakfast and continued to take it in spoonful by spoonful. He mother came into the room, dressed much more formally than her. She was trying to get everything in order before they left. “Jennifer, hurry up, we’ve got to go pick up Jessi in five minutes.”
“I’m hurrying!” Jennifer said, taking out another spoonful. “These things take time.” Her mother looked critically at her as she clopped past on her high-heels. Olivia reappeared, and went back to the pantry. Jennifer looked up, briefly “You’d better hurry, Olivia, Mom was just in here bugging me.”
“Okay,” Olivia yanked out a box of cereal. “Did she remember that I invited Jessi to church?”
“Yeah, she did.”
“Good.” Olivia said, pouring the cereal. “I mean, Mom’d be really mad if we were late and still had to go pick her up.”
Time passed. Jennifer headed upstairs, Olivia wolfed down her cereal, and soon the whole family was in the car. The van headed down the street and up another, stopping in front of Jessi McClorn’s house. Olivia hopped out of the minivan and trotted up to the front door. There, she rang the bell and waited. There was commotion inside. She heard Jessi’s voice. “That’s them, bye Mom!”
“Are you sure you’ll be okay?” Her mother called in her worried tone.
“Yes, Mom! You’ve met Olivia before!”
“Could you get them to give me their phone number?”
“We’re going to their church! They won’t be at home!”
“Then make sure you give them our number.”
“I will, Mom! Just let me leave already!”
“Wait! Let me write down some emergency numbers, too.”
“Mom! No! It’s gonna be fine!”
“Wait! Do you have you name in the back of that shirt!”
The door opened to reveal a rushed-looking Jessi. “I’m leaving now, Mom!”
“But if you’ll just give me a second --!”
“Bye!” Jessi shut the door and turned to Olivia. “Run! Hurry!” The two of them made tracks to the van and by the time the font door opened again for Jessi’s mother, the redhead was waving from the car window. “Bye Mom! See you this afternoon!” The van took off and the five of them were on their way to First Side Presbyterian Church.

* * *

"So she does have it in for him!" Quasar, the prince of the Negaverse cried as he paced the chamber of he and his wife.
"Kyanite, it’s not that big of a deal." Pulsar his wife and the daughter of the Queen Beryl, insisted. "What does it matter about one general?"
"Its more than just that." He said, maintaining his pacing.
"Oh, are you thinking of that other General, Zoicite?" Pulsar asked, sounding irritated.
"No, it’s not her either." Quasar said. "This Malachite is very important to our plan. Without a general with Garth, Beryl would get suspicious. She knows he's with me, you know."
"Yes, you have a point." Pulsar agreed. "We cant let Beryl get to interested in what we are doing for fear that she will uncover our plot against her."
"It she shows any more signs of aggression toward him, we'll have to send down protection." Quasar announced. "The question is, what kind of protection."
"Neither of us can go." Pulsar said, obviously. "Beryl would se us for sure. If we don't want her to suspect, then we might as well let the general die. It would be safer."
"We could call in another cat." Quasar suggested.
Pulsar shook her head. "No, I forbid it. I didn't even want Garth to go except that both of you insisted on it."
"Okay, so the cat idea is out." Quasar said. "What about another general?"
"Are you suggesting General Zoicite?" Pulsar asked. "Wasn't she the one who was heartsick for him?"
"Yes, that was Zoicite, but she doesn't know our plan." Quasar objected. "And I hate using her when she could possibly end up dead."
"You didn't think much of using our current General Malachite." Pulsar reminded him, amused by the emergence of his softer side.
"Well, that guy was arrogant." Quasar said. "Plus, you know me. I'm a sucker for hard-luck cases."
"Don't say that too loud." Pulsar warned, trying to hide her smile. "We have a reputation to keep."
"Don't worry, no one's listening." Quasar assured. "No one will bother us as long as we are in our own quarters." He stopped his pacing and walked over to his wife, a mischievous smile on his face. "That means they can't see us do this..." He put his arms around her and gave her a kiss, then proceeded to nibble the side of her neck.
She laughed. "Ky, stop it! We-we have important things to discuss - “ She then surrendered to his flirting and put her arms across his shoulders. The two of them looked at each other and exchanged smiles before getting back to business. Pulsar's face was still rosy from blushing. "So, you will talk to the general?"
"Yes, dear." He said, chuckling a little. "I guess I'll have to talk to her one way or another, I promised to tell her if her loverboy was in danger."
"That's so typical of you."

* * *

After about twenty minutes of driving, the van pulled onto the parking lot of First Side. Once parked, everyone piled out and into the building. Mr. and Mrs. Miles headed to their adult Sunday school class down the hall. Olivia and Jessi headed up to the 5th grade classroom that was on the second floor and Jennifer headed downstairs to the Junior High class that met in the basement. When she got there, her good friend, Kathleen Tait, was waiting for her, reading a book. "Hi, Kathleen."
The dark-skinned girl looked up and waved.
"So, what's up?" The brunette asked, taking a seat next to her.
"Not much." Kathleen said, quietly. She was a very reserved and quiet girl with tan skin and dark eyes. Her hair was coarse and she had it pulled back in a bun. "I'm reading."
"What book?" Jennifer asked.
"Anita Blake." She answered. "It's fascinating."
“I’m glad." Jennifer said halfheartedly, trying to start conversation. "So what happened this week?"
Kathleen put down the book. "Do I look that bad?"
Jennifer wasn't expecting that sort of response. "No, no, of course not. Why would you look bad?"
"I guess I've let it slip now." Kathleen sighed, putting her novel away for good. "I’ve been kind of depressed lately."
"Why!? What for?" Jennifer asked, concerned.
"Well,” Kathleen was apparently a little ashamed. "I don't feel like I'm very tough."
"What? Why are you worried about that?" Jennifer seemed confused and much less than impressed. She'd been thinking that it was going to be something more serious.
"Well," Kathleen continued, "the guys at school are always teasing me and I can never fight back, except with words and stuff. It's just gotten me really discouraged, because I know that if I ever was going to get into a physical confrontation with someone, and not necessarily with them, that I would have no way to defend myself."
"Now I can see how that con be a problem." Jennifer nodded. "But there is one thing for sure, with you being a big track star, you'd be the best person I know at escaping."
"I'm no star." Kathleen said, meekly. "And running isn’t enough. I want to be tough. Like one of those anime characters who can fight and fight and fight. I want to sword fight like Kenshin or be an expert in martial arts or have a huge Gundam mobile suit that I can climb into."
"Well, while we're going in the direction of anime,” Jennifer said, "in the words of Justy Ueki Tylor, ‘you always win by running away’."
Kathleen did like the Tylor reference, but it didn't convince her. "Still, one can dream right?"
* * *

In the fifth grade classroom, Olivia was introducing Jessi to her teachers. She ran around the classroom, dragging her red-haired friend by the wrist. She approached a husband and wife team, who were collaborating on the music selection for the day. Olivia stood by a second until they noticed her. When they looked up, she proceeded with the formal introductions. "Hi! This is my friend Jessi from school. Jessi, this is Mr. and Mrs. Weaver."
"Hi," Jessi waved.
"Hello,” The teachers greeted. After a bit of light conversation, Olivia excused them and they were off again. They stopped by a middle-aged man who was trying to settle a rowdy bunch of fifth-grade boys.
"Hi!" Olivia chirped. "This is Jessi. Jessi, this is Dr. Winters."
"Hi." Jessi said again.
Dr. Winters gave Jessi a greeting and went back to his task of disciplination.
"He's busy, don't mind him." Olivia said, dashing Jessi off. But just as they took a seat, Mr. and Mrs. Weaver announced that they were ready for music. They both got out their guitars, Dr. Winters got all the boys to come in and sit down, Mrs. Weaver clicked on the overhead projector, and the group of fifth graders broke into song.
Downstairs, the Junior High class was also singing. They finished up the last song, said a prayer and broke into small groups. Jennifer and Kathleen were lucky enough to be in the same group along with two boys named Tad and Ben, and a girl named Tarease. Their leader's name was Laury; she was tall and thin with large eyes and dark hair. She looked to be in her late twenties to thirties. She sat down and looked at the five drowsy middle-schoolers that were sitting around her. "You guys look like you could use some caffeine." She observed.
Tarease perked up. "Laury! There's a Starbucks down the street, could we have our lesson over there?"
Laury grinned. "I don't see why not." Everyone looked excited. Laury stood. "Come on, group, let’s go." Everyone popped, up and headed out of the building. The coffee shop was a couple of blocks from the church, so everyone walked the sidewalk by the street until the Starbucks was in sight. Once inside, they all waited in line.
"I could really go for a café mocha." Tarease announced as Ben ordered.
"Ick." Jennifer crinkled up her nose. "Coffee's gross, even with mocha."
"Well, you're no fun." Tarease said. "Have you ever had a Starbucks Café Mocha?"
"Well, no." Jennifer admitted, "but I've had the cheap stuff before and it was gross. Besides, I think that it's safe to stick with what I know I like."
"And what is that?" Kathleen asked, rummaging through her handbag to find some money.
"Hot chocolate." Jennifer answered.
"Me, too." Kathleen agreed. "You know, they put a ton of whipped cream in it."
"Really?"
The two of them ordered and stood by waiting for their drinks to be assembled. Kathleen opened conversation. "So, did you see Endless Waltz the other day?"
"No, I didn't." Jennifer admitted. "Was it on Cartoon Network?"
"Yeah,” Kathleen answered. "It was great. I've already ordered the DVD so that I can see it in Japanese, too."
“Sounds good to me.” Her friend shrugged. “Then I’ll come over and see it. I really have to start watching Gundam Wing sometime.” Presently, their orders arrived and they moved to sit down with their fellows and listen to Laury’s lesson.

* * *

Garth sniffed the air as he made his way down a neighborhood street. He could see the First Side Presbyterian parking lot from behind his building. The smell of self-doubt drifted on the air, he stopped to take a good whiff and look up to the building connected to the lot. He stood poised and waited for Malachite. The silver-haired General came up behind him at a shuffle, his hands in his pockets. He saw the cat there, his whiskers fanned. “What is it?”
Garth closed his eyes. The scent of loathing was trailing off, like a path leading him to the crystal fracture. The carrier had left not long ago. “The target was here.”
“What do you mean ‘was’?” Malachite asked, sounding suspicious.
“She’s on the move.” Garth announced. He could nearly see the trail leading up out of the parking lot and down the street; it was being blown apart by the wind. In moments, it would be gone and they would lose the way. The navy cat took off. “She’s moving north. Keep up.” The two of them ran out across the asphalt, along the invisible trail. Malachite’s long white hair and cape trailed out behind him and caught the eye of a blonde 5th grade girl on the second floor of the church. Olivia was sitting by the window, and recognized them instantly. She sprung to her feet. The Sunday School instructors stopped what they were doing and looked at her.
“Olivia? What’s wrong?”
“Ma-“ She took a start and just caught herself from exclaiming ‘Malachite just ran through the parking lot!’. She said, instead, with a bit of a stutter. “Ma-May I go to the bathroom?”
“It must be pretty urgent.” Mr. Winters cried. “Go ahead.”
“Thanks!” Olivia grinned quickly. She turned to Jessi as she edged her way out of the forest of chairs and students. “I’ll be back.” Once she got out the door of her classroom, Olivia took off sprinting down the hall. A thought flashed across her mind. ‘Maybe I should grab Jennifer, she’s a Sailor Soldier too.’ Deciding that that was best, she took a sharp turn on the staircase and headed down to the lower level. Once in the hall, she dashed to the Junior High School room to find it looking emptier than usual. The absence of the eighth grade was obviously to blame. She shot her eyes to where the seventh graders were communing in their small group and demanded. “Where’d the Eighth Grade go!?”
“I dunno,” the leader said, looking startled at the snappiness of her query, “where did they go?”
“To Starbucks.” One of the kids answered. “Why don’t we ever get to go to Starbucks?”
That was all Olivia needed to know, she quickly pieced together the clues. ‘Starbucks!? That was the direction Malachite was headed! Garth must be with him! They’re going to attack Jennifer again!’ She reached into Z-storage and brought out he transformation pen. The fifth grader dashed out the back doors and once outside shouted “POLARIS POWER!”

* * *

The Great Hall was full, as always. Beryl was seated at the head, droning on and on about what was wrong with her kingdom and who was not living up to expectations. Commander Quasar was seated on her left side. He found these audiences to be dull and pointless. The kingdom he and his wife would inherit was grossly ineffective. They could get so much more done if the entire army didn’t spend so much time standing at attention. He shot an eye sidelong to Princess Pulsar, but he couldn’t see her. She was seated on the right hand. He was sure he knew what she’d look like even if he could see her. She would have her “mother’s watching” mask on, her dark green eyes, which had the potential to be so deep and sparkling, would be shallow and slate-like. Her face, pale and lipid, would be expressionless, he could make her laugh so easily when not under this mask, but now was not the time. Her mother didn’t know the side of Chrysoberyl that he knew. To her, she was always the cold, robotic creature that she was now. Perhaps, he thought, that was why Beryl seemed to have a certain distaste for him, because he knew more about her daughter than she did. She could sense it, he could tell, whenever Chrysoberyl thought no one was watching and would risk a smile at him in the halls. The two of them would change this place. This kingdom would be glorious and profitable. It would be a moral world ruled by just monarchs and reaching for worthy goals. The Negaverse of Queen Beryl had lived for centuries collecting energy to take over the parallel kingdom of the universe. All the power and thought of the queen had been aimed at total planal domination. Quasar, speaking from his own point of view, did not see the point of taking over another plane when Beryl didn’t even have her own Negaverse in proper working order.
He stopped thinking and turned his attentions to his plan. Focusing on the negatives of this place was pointless if that was a far as it ever got. He was currently knee-deep in his own scheme to get his worthless mother in law off the throne. He searched the crowd for his trump card. General Zoicite was standing in the second row near the wall. She was tall, with orange-red hair. He stared at her until she looked at him. When they did, she seemed to be taken by surprise and jumped. He gave her a warning flash. This communication should not be picked up by Beryl, she suspected too much already. After a pause he stared with his good, brown eye and mouthed.
“Meet me”
She looked confused.
“After”
Understanding, she nodded and returned to attention. He returned to staring blankly again. This was going to be a long time to wait until the two of them could talk. Part of him hated using this woman. Lovesickness was shortening her judgment. But sacrifices had to be made for the greater good of the entire kingdom. If she was lucky, perhaps, she would turn out alive.

* * *

Garth stared in the window of Starbucks to where the 8th graders were talking. Malachite stood over him shielding the glass with his hands. “So the target’s in there?”
“Yes, in that group of girls.” Garth answered.
Malachite stared harder at the small group. “Which one?”
“The dark one.”
He looked closer still, his eyes fell on Jennifer and Kathleen. “You mean the one with the bun?”
“Yes, her scent is very strong.” Garth answered. “We must get her alone.”
“How!?! There are tons of people in there!” Malachite shot at him.
“There must be a way.” Garth thought hard. He creased his brow, the orange crescent on his head stretching down. He flicked his tail as a plan formed quickly in his mind. “Listen up. I have an idea.”
“An idea? That’s good. I can’t wait to see you do this. “ Malachite said, turning to look in the window again.
Garth gave him his first instruction. “Hold up the store.”
“WHAT!?!” Malachite cried. “You want me to do WHAT!?!” He got strange glances from the people walking by. After all, to them he was talking to a cat.
Garth responded coolly. “Just go in, hold up the store, take the girl hostage, and bring her out here so that I can convince her to trust me.”
“I will NEVER stoop to that level!” Malachite roared. “Petty theft will shatter all the dignity I have left! I won’t let my reputation be cast to the four winds just because some cat told me to!”
“Cover your face if you want, but you have no choice.” Garth insisted. “You are my charge, you do as I say.”
“It was bad enough when we were partners, but now you’re my BABYSITTER!? What kind of fool do you think I am!?!” Malachite ranted.
“The fool who argues against the inevitable..” Garth replied. “The human police are already looking for you. This will just be another hostage situation like the incident at the school.” Garth slitted his yellow eyes. “Now get on with your job!”

* * *

Inside, Jennifer was laughing with Kathleen and the others as they shared related stories in their small- group. The lesson was going well. Everyone was having fun and learning a lot from what Laury had to say. Jus then, a cloaked figure burst into the room. He had long silver hair, and navy cloths, his face was masked and his voice was muffled by his heavy cape. IT looked like he as concealing a weapon. “Nobody Move!”
Everyone froze. They were in pure fear and surprise. On whispered hoarsely. “That’s the guy from the radio! The one who held up the school!”
Jennifer was not frightened but wary. She recognized him immediately from the night before. “Malachite!?”
The intruder continued. “Surrender all your valuables and empty the cash register, this is a robbery!”
People started screaming and running around. Some ran for purses, some ran for the door, some just ran around aimlessly in a panic. Malachite dashed through the din and found the First Side congregation. He grabbed Kathleen’s arm. She screamed and her company turned. For one second, he and Jennifer Locked eyes. He scowled, dropped his cape and took off with Kathleen toward the door. Jennifer blinked a second, trying to comprehend. Malachite had just stolen her friend! She wasn’t sure why he’d done it, but she was certain that she wouldn’t let him get away with it! Before then she probably would have run around screaming about it like everybody else; but now she could do something about it. She fought her way after them, her transformation wand in hand. Once outside, she ducked around a corner and held the stick in the air, screaming, “EARTH POWER!”

Covered in a dome of blue-green, Jennifer found herself suspended in mid air. Her skin was pale aqua in color, with white and navy streaks and specks. Only her green-hazel eyes stood out clearly on her silhouette. Her transformation began.. A high wind picked up, it was gusty, but gentile, and she closed her eyes and let it whip the static of her hair about her face. The wind began to blow wisps of color in whites, light blues, and aquas. The colors became more frequent and thicker as she raised her hands slowly from her sides. She let the hues move through her fingers, then threw her hands to the sky and let the wind circle her body with them. In an instant it was a huge mass of color, but with a howl that only the wind could make, they scattered on the breeze. The windstorm left her dressed in her Sailor Soldier’s uniform. Her back was turned, the aqua bow tied at the center over a rippling, pleated navy skirt. The white leotard it connected to was bordered at the top by a navy collar, which moved in the wind along with her mid-length brown hair. She turned, her aqua chest bow visible and her shoulders held back. The aqua folds of her white gloves bunched at her elbows she raised one leg, her shins and feet covered in flat-soled aqua boots with white trim, and used it to move herself face forward. Her eyes opened, her hair still whipping about under the restriction of a black headband. With aqua-jeweled tiara and a pearl-studded aqua choker, she posed with one leg over the other and her arms folded behind her head, reemerging as Sailor Earth.

Malachite dashed with Kathleen around a corner and threw open a dumpster. The teenager struggled. “Let me go! Let me go! I-I’ll hurt you!”
“Shut up!” Malachite spat. He unloaded her into the garbage and slammed the lid. Garth was hiding nearby. He turned to the cat. “That girl who became Sailor Earth was in there!”
“Excuse me?” Garth asked for clarification.
“The one from last night.” Malachite said. “She’s on to us for sure! Your stupid plan is going to get crushed before it ever gets started, cat! I’ve destroyed my dignity for no reason!”
“Stop being sorry for yourself! Hurry and distract her!” Garth shouted. He glanced around. “Get her to the roof! I’ll take care of my business down here.”
“Alright, cat, but if this fails, I’ll turn you into a fur lining for my cloak!” Malachite threatened.
“Just go!” Garth snapped. Malachite turned and bounded up the wall. He reached the Starbucks roof and ran to the door-front side. Sure enough, Sailor Earth was down there, scanning for him.
Malachite called down to her. “Hey brat!” Her head snapped up. He yelled again. “Oh? Do you answer to that? Come save your little friend if you can!”
Earth glared up at him, and proceeded to bound up tot he roof. Malachite backed out. “Here we go, this had better be good.”
Below, Kathleen shoved open the lid to the Dumpster. She picked a cinnamon-bun wrapper out of her hair and looked around. Her captor was gone. She clambered out of the dumpster. “This is exactly what I hate. I couldn’t have done a thing to a burglar like him. Why can’t I be tough instead of shelling out empty threats?” She kicked the side of the dumpster, but it hurt her foot. “Yeow!” With pain, she fall backwards. She looked up from the pavement of the alley. “Marvelous.”
“So you feel inadequate?”
Her eyes locked on the cat as he approached from the shadows. “Huh?”
“You are feeling low, helpless.” Garth continued
“I must have hit my head.” She said. “I think I see a talking cat!”
“You do.” Garth answered. “I am a talking cat.”
“That’s impossible!” Kathleen insisted. “Cats can’t talk.” Then she thought to herself. “Why am I talking to the talking cat if its impossible for the cat to talk?”
“Listen to me!” Garth said. “I’m going to solve all your problems.”
“You are my only problem.” She said. “I’m seeing things and talking to myself, to my hallucinations, there’s a good fic idea! But it’s too Ally McBeal.”
“Pay attention!” Garth snapped. “Didn’t you just say you wanted something!?”
“What? Just now?”
“When you got out of the trash.” Garth said, his patience at his end.
“I said I wished I was a mean, tough, fighting machine.” Kathleen told him. “But a hallucinated cat can’t help me with that.”
“Oh can’t I?” Garth asked. He pulled out his black-velvet bag, unbound it and produced a transformation pen. The pen was a smoky gray at it’s base with a black metal cap and an oval shape extension with the arms of an ‘X’ poking out of it. The extension had the image of a sword with a double ‘X’ running through it inscribed on the top.
“What’s this?” Kathleen reached down to it.
Garth sneered. All in all, it had been stupidly simple. “Your fate.”
“Once in hand, the sword symbol was traced in white. Black smoke seeped out of the ornament and traveled to Kathleen’s face. It filled her eyes and entered her head through the nose, ears, and mouth. She was taken by the energy and suddenly shouted. “DARK EBSILON!”

She, like Jennifer before, was surrounded in a dome of energy. The dome was gray with black lightning flashing around her. The lightning storm was accompanied by a gale like a hurricane whipping around her. It was nearly impossible to see with her coarse hair tightly bunned. Gray streams of energy shot from the walls and bound her, covering every inch of her skin. The energy transferred from the wall of the dome to the girl through these cables of magic and changed her like some sort of stage magician. The black lightning forked across the dome and severed the cables from the walls. Now the wind was beheld in full force as the entrails of the bindings were thrown violently about. In a flash, there was another strike of black lightning it entered her eyes, lighting them u and filling her body with its power. The bindings were blown from her body and left her dressed in a gray sailor uniform with black bows. She had thick, heavy gray boots with black laces. She began a monologue. “I have found will and strength in my weakness! I have overcome the fear and self-doubt that has held me back! Unleash the fury! Use the hate that my senders have given me! I am mean! I’m unstoppable! I am WHOLE!” On cue, the shell about her was shattered and she reentered the space/time continuum, a warrior full of rage.

“Very good, you’ve turned out well, Sailor Ebsilon.” Garth purred.
“Can it!” Ebislon shot back, her previous innocence and good will all but erased from her mind. She held out one hand and a deadly staff with two black blades materialized in her grip. She whipped it above her head and brought it down to threaten him. “Shut up or I’ll run you through.”
“I’m not the one you’ve got a problem with.” He replied. “The person you want to kill is up on the roof. She is Sailor Earth, and she wants your glory. You’d better hurry before she disgraces you.”
Sailor Ebsilon cast him a look, her weapon still at the ready. She glanced up to the roof. “You had better be right about this, or I’ll come back and skin your scrawny hide.”
“Just as well.” He muttered. She dropped her guard and bounded up to the roof of the coffee shop. The cat stared up after her. “You will have to fight Malachite for the honor of that. What a pain. Why do tough girls have to be so rude?” He got up and walked to the front of the building. “I am evil and civil. Why can’t humans be more like cats? Who in the Negaverse proclaimed them the dominant race?”
Up top, Earth was duking it out with Malachite. He was effectively dodging her blows, anticipation Ebsilon’s arrival. He kept glancing toward the alley as the teenager punched at him. “What is taking that cat so long?”
“What did you do with my friend!?” Earth demanded. “I saw you take her! What did you do with her?”
“You’ll see soon enough, you brat!” He said, sneering. He threw his hands forward, finally deciding to attack her. A gray-blue ball swelled, then shot out what appeared to be a blue laser in her direction. “Take that!”
She dodged, then rebounded with her special power. A wind picked up from around her feet. She bower her head and crossed her wrists up by her ear, the wind grew violent and blew her hair up off of her neck. “Rushing! – “ She parted her hands and the wind changed direction to swirl around her in a circle. She turned her other side to face Malachite, one arm extended gracefully behind her, the other by her far side. She opened her eyes and threw up her backward arm to direct the gale at her foe. “WIND!”
Malachite was unprepared for the Sailor Soldier attack, and braced himself. The gust caught him up and threw him against the wall of one of the neighboring buildings. He vanished from sight as he fell back to the earth. The sailor Soldier began to head after him but was stopped by a familiar voice. “Hold it right there!”
Earth turned to find her kidnapped friend standing behind her. “Kathleen!” But then she noticed the suit and especially the glinting black blades of her upheld weapon. “Oh, no.”
“Are you Sailor Earth!?” The dark soldier demanded.
“Yes I am.” She answered.
Ebsilon’s brow furrowed and she crouched over the handle of the weapon, poised to attack “Then prepare yourself to taste the sting of a black blade!”
Earth took a start. Ebsilon launched into a run with a furious cry. Earth leapt into the air and Ebsilon barely missed her. She looked up and Followed Sailor Earth’s path back to the rooftop. “Kathleen!? What are you doing!?!”
“Don’t play innocent!” Ebsilon spat. “You are trying to steal my honor as a warrior! That sort of thing is unforgivable! Get ready to die!”
“Oh my GOSH!” Earth took off as Ebsilon raced after her gain. She dashed across the roof, her mind racing. ‘Garth got her and turned her into this! Why didn’t I catch it!? He targeted me because I was wanting something. No because I wanted to be something! Kathleen was just telling me about that! She was telling me how she wanted to be tough! Why didn’t I catch it!?’ She glanced backwards at the bloodshot eyes of the hate-filled girl. ‘Now she’s as tough as she could ever wish to be, but it’s taken over her mind! She’s gonna kill me! But I can’t hurt her, she’s still Kathleen in there somewhere!’ Glancing backwards another time, Earth stumbled and tripped herself; flying through the air and skidding to a stop near the edge of the roof. In seconds, Ebsilon was standing over here, her blade at the ready. She got to one knee.
“How simple it is.” Ebsilon licked her teeth and brought her blade up. The black edge came slowly down toward Sailor Earth’s heart. “And may my glory be forever.”
The spear was so close to stabbing the girl, but Earth was not ready to die. She threw out her hand. “Rushing WIND!” The gust caught Ebsilon’s weapon and forced it from her hand. She watched as it sailed through the air, only to come down several feet away, on of the twin blades sticking into the cement. It had sliced cleanly. Sailor Earth gulped at the thought of how close that edge had been to her chest.
Ebsilon turned angrily to her. “You demon! What kind of power do you have!?” She didn’t stick around for the answer but took off for her spear.
Sailor Earth jumped up and threw out her hand again. “Rushing WIND!” The gust picked the weapon back up and sent it skittering across the rooftop. The bottom blade was broken from where it had snapped in two under the pressure.
Ebsilon grabbed it up and looked at the jagged edge. “You – “ Her eyes narrowed and sparked. “DEMON!!!”
“That is my power.” Sailor Earth said, walking toward her. Her voice was determined. “Wind power. And I’m not going to let you keep me held.”

* * *

Sailor Polaris was rushing up the sidewalk. When she was across the street form the Starbucks she could see immediately the turmoil going on. She saw people running around and many people staring up at the roof. What she picked out, however, was a suspicious looking navy blue cat heading around the far corner. “Garth”
The little blonde soldier ran into the crowd. Many cleared when they saw her come, but she still had to shove past a couple people. She headed into the alley after the cat. This was the alley on the opposite side of the one Ebsilon’s transformation had taken place. She found Malachite unconscious on the ground. Garth slunk over and scratched his face. HE was roused, and shoved himself up. “Ow.”
“I see you got the WIND knocked out of you.” Garth hissed.
“That’s not funny.” Malachite moaned. HE got to his knees, his head in his hands. Then he potted Polaris and sprang up. “Hey!?! What are you doing here!?”
“I’m here to keep you from doing whatever you were about to do!” Polaris replied, trying to sound intimidating.
“Its not what we’re going to do, its what we’ve already done.” Garth told her. “the soldier has been awakened. Now we only have to wait.” Garth turned to Malachite. “Come, General, to the roof!”
Polaris watched as the both bounded up. She took off after t hem and came out on a battle field. Ebsilon was furiously slashing at Sailor Earth, who was trying her best to keep out of the way. Malachite and Garth continued onto the roof of the next building to avoid entering the brawl. Polaris hurried to do just that. “Sailor Earth!”
“Polaris!?” Her sister called back, dodging a swipe from Ebsilon.
“I’m coming to help!” She said. She ran over and jumped up on the dark soldier’s back, but she was flipped over the top. Earth grabbed her foe’s arm and swung her down. Olivia recognized who it was. “Are you kidding me!? That’s Kathleen!?!”
“Yeah, and we can’t hurt her!” Earth insisted
Polaris nodded. “I know that, but this means we need Sailor Moon!”
“What for?” Earth asked.
Polaris caught sight of Ebsilon back on her feet. She pointed. “Lookout!” They ducked as the blade swished over their heads. The two of them rushed in different directions to get out of range. The blonde called to her partner. “Sailor Moon is the only one who can use her power to heal her! And we should hurry before her time is up!”
“You make her sound like a time-bomb!” Earth called back.
“In essence she is!” Polaris headed off for the edge of the roof. “No pun intended! I’ll get Sailor Moon and be right back!”
“Go on! I can hold her for now!” Her sister assured. Earth returned to fighting, and Polaris disappeared.

* * *

Beryl was done lecturing. Even the Queen of the Negaverse could get tired of being rude. Zoicite found herself following Kyanite back into a deserted corner of the great hall. When he stopped, he delivered to her the news she’d suspected and feared. “Beryl is going to kill him.” The prince stated.
Zoicite was frozen.
Kyanite was good at acting, he sighed. “She’s going to send down someone to do General Malachite in. I don’t know the details.”
“But – “ Her eyes quavered. “But she cant!”
“She can, and she is.” Kyanite said. “And there is nothing I can do about it.”
“But you’re the head of the military!” Zoicite recalled. “There must be something you can do!”
“I receive orders and I carry them out.” Kyanite told her. “I have no power when it comes to the Queen’s wishes. There is nothing I can do.” She stared at him. “If I could do anything, the only thing would be to send down a bodyguard to protect him, but that would mean turning my own men against their comrades. I can’t do that.”
“No…” Zoicite found her mind filled with plans, ideas, hopes, fears, and wishes. “No, you cant.”
“I’m sorry.” Kyanite sympathized. This time he was sincere. He truly was a sucker for romantic, hard-luck stuff. He felt like Beryl, his back-handed, plotting, conniving, mother in law. It was these reasons that he and his wife were planning to over throw her. He left Zoicite standing there in the great hall and went to find his wife.
Chrysoberyl was in an audience with her mother. She had on her emotional mask and spoke in dead tones, her straight auburn hair lying across her back and her white-velvet gown, folded in hues of blue. She spoke. “Mother, what do you intend to do about General Malachite?”
“Well, He’ll have to be disposed of sooner or later.” She said, off-handedly, admiring herself in her full-length mirror. “Perhaps when he returns, I’ll let him make a fool of himself, then blast him to space dust.”
“Why?” Chrysoberyl asked in monotone. Beryl turned to her. She continued, her voice never varying much. “He is exhausting our precious energy supply. Why do you let him wander about on Earth?”
“That is a good point, Chrysoberyl.” Beryl admitted. “What do you suggest we do with him?”
Inside her head, Chrysoberyl was rejoicing that her mother had asked her opinion. It was just the way she had wanted the conversation to go. “Why not kill him now?”
“And how would I do that?” Beryl demanded. “Bring him back up here?”
“No, that would waste more energy.” Her daughter stated. “I suggest that you send down someone to kill him and take his place in the quest for the rainbow crystal.”
“That is brilliant!” Beryl cried, thrilled by the idea. “Chrysoberyl, you will be a magnificent queen! You think just like your mother!”
The comment stung her harshly.
Beryl left the chamber. “I must put this into action! I must find the perfect assassin!”
Chrysoberyl followed slowly. She met up with Kyanite out in the hall. In his presence, she let her emotions reemerge. “So, how did it go?”
“She fell for it.” Kyanite affirmed. “But I feel rotten.”
“So do I.” She agreed. “Mother just told me I think like her.”
Kyanite put his hands on her shoulders. “Don’t worry Chry, you are nothing like her! She doesn’t know the real you.”
“Thanks, Ky.” Chrysoberyl sighed.
Kyanite relaxed a bit. “So I take it your half was successful.”
“She loved the idea.” Chrysoberyl said. “she’s gone off to get started right away.”
“It’s a shame that we had to lead a poor, lovesick girl to her death.” Kyanite said.
It was Chrysoberyl’s turn to be comforting. “To achieve peace, sacrifices must be made.”

* * *


Earth’s struggle had lasted much longer than she would have liked it to. All the dodging and running was wearing her out, and Ebsilon just kept on coming. “Kathleen!” She shouted as she ducked the wipe of the fractured blade. “Kathleen!? Can you hear me!?”
“Evil Soldier!” Ebsilon shot at her. “My glory is mine! You won’t steal it!”
“I have no interest in your glory!” Earth insisted. The glinting black blade swept across chest level, the tip of it slicing a streak just below the line of her collarbone. With a cry of pain and surprise, she fell backward. In seconds, she found the weapon pressed to her throat.
“Don’t deny what is plainly visible on your face.” Ebsilon told her.
“You can’t see clearly!” Earth insisted. “You’ve had your eyes clouded in rage! Look what the Negaverse has done to you!”
“SHUT UP!” the soldier pressed the sharpened edge deeper into the neck. “No more talking from you! You are a thief and a liar!”
Breath caught in Earth’s throat. She was seconds away from being slain by one of her best friends and she was only fourteen! She wondered if the effort would be in vain if she tried to call for help. It wouldn’t be long before calling was unnecessary.
With a flare of a red and black cape, and the clap of heels on the cement, her rescuer had arrived. The man ran toward Ebsilon, bent on attacking her and saving the trapped teen. “Sailor Earth!”
“Tuxedo Mask!” She was both ecstatic and horrified to see him. “Watch out!”
First Ebsilon’s head turned, the deep brown eyes burning as he got very near, then the blade whirred from the helpless soldier on the ground to the oncoming attacker. The stroke was as swift as a golf stroke and as deadly as an arrow. Earth’s green-hazel eyes were frozen wide. There was no way that attack would miss, and there was no way her handsome comrade would survive it. If that was so, then neither would she.
Thankfully, Tuxedo Mask came complete with a retractable cane. He’d reached for it as he ran, and only barely had it out in time to intercept the blow. The blade was knocked slightly wide as it extended and he stumbled the opposite direction in reaction to it. Ebsilon gritted her teeth and proceeded to swing at him again and again. “More thieves!?! You would steal my GLORY! The glory of a WARRIOR!!” Tuxedo Mask had taken Earth’s previous role in the furious death struggle.
The brunette jumped up from the ground. Her relief had been replaced with anger. Her heart was beating very fast. She stomped over at a run. “Leave him alone!” Ebsilon had backed the man up nearly to the edge of the roof when Earth grabbed her around the neck from behind. The Sailor Soldier threw the gladiator down, only to have her jump back to her feet. The first called backward over her shoulder. “What are you doing here?!”
“You needed help!” Tuxedo Mask replied.
“I don’t want you to help!” She told him. “You could get hurt!”
“I could get hurt!?!” He cried. Ebsilon took up her staff and rushed at them again. The two of them stepped aside and she whirled around to slice at their heads. They ducked and ran, exchanging words as they did. “I’m the older one! I’m the adult! I protect you!”
“You know as well as I do that she’s dangerous!” Earth replied. “If you get killed, I don’t know what I’d do!”
“From what it seemed like to me...” He said. They both turned around to face their oncoming enemy. “It looked like you were the one with the knife in your neck! If you’d been killed, I don’t know what I’d do!”
For some reason, it felt like they’d had this conversation before, or something of a revised version of it. Especially his line when he said “I’m older... I’m the grown-up in this family…” ‘In this family?’ Jennifer thought, ‘Where’d THAT come from? It sounds like I’ve heard it somewhere else.’ There was no time for contemplation now. ‘Maybe on TV or something…Father knows best or whatever.’ She turned her attention on the fight.
“Cut around to the side and get her on my mark!” Tuxedo Mask commanded.
Earth saw no reason not to follow his instructions and veered off as she was told. He did the same. Ebsilon followed Earth. Fighting a skilled foe at the possible cost of her life was a very uncomfortable situation for Earth, but running unarmed from an unstoppable death-machine was completely unnerving. She was on the edge of her seat waiting for Tuxedo Mask’s mark.
Ebsilon had done what he had hoped. As soon as her back was turned, he ran up behind her and tackled. The two of them tumbled one over the other, and he ended up on his back with her on top of him, his arms strung around her shoulders and her coarse black hair thrashing in front of his face. “Now, Jenn!”
Earth screeched to a halt and came trotting over. She took a hold of Ebsilon’s weapon. “No!!” The dark soldier clung for dear life to her spear. Held to the ground by Tuxedo Mask, she struggled with her arms and legs to free the lance form Earth’s grip. “No! No! Not my blade!”
Earth made on swift, unsuspected yank and captured the weapon form it’s owner. Ebsilon’s hands clawed at thin air from afar. Up on the nearby roof, Malachite was looking on in frustration. “This can’t be!” He cried. “That’s tow against one!”
“It doesn’t matter!” Garth was in ecstasy, his tail twitching. “It’s at its peak!”
In seconds, her clawing hands were frozen in midair and Ebsilon’s color began to drain. A lump and then a hole opened in the base of her neck and out spilled her gaseous essence. Tuxedo Mask stared down as all the color from her hair, skin and eyes leaked off the lifeless figure and out into the air. Surrounding energy was being pulled into it like a vacuum. He realized what was going to happen. “Earth!”
Sailor Earth had never witnessed this happening before. She stared in horror as her friend became waxy and the hues were striped from the agonized expression on her face.
Tuxedo Mask began to scramble out form under the victim. “The essence collects energy! It’s headed for the sun! Catch it in something before we can never get it back!”
Earth shook herself out of her daze, but it was too late. The ghost-like essence had escaped its shell and was shooting up wars. The Sailor Soldier acted on impulse. “Rushing…WIND!”
Her hand was thrown up after the retreating cloud. Her aerodynamic power raced through her fingers. Up on the wall, Garth’s Jaw dropped.
“Empty again, is it?” Malachite said, crossing his arms. “It figures as much.”
“No! No!” Garth yelled. “This can’t be! We are running out of time!” He then turned to his partner. “Come, hurry, we don’t have a moment to spare!” The midnight cat dashed off and Malachite had no choice but to follow. They dashed off the end of their respective building and away from the scene just as Polaris was arriving with Sailor Moon and Luna the cat.
“Hurry, Sailor Moon! We might be too late!” Luna urged.
“I’m going, all right!? I just got out of bed!” Moon repeated, sounding exhausted. First Presbyterian was further from her house than she’d had liked.
Sailor Polaris stopped on the sidewalk when she saw the essence cloud bolt off into the sky. “Oh no! It’s happened already!” She turned back to Sailor Moon, who was approaching as quick as she could, looking disheveled. “Hurry! We might be able to save her still! Get up on the roof!” Sailor Moon arrived, panted a little, then clawed her way up the wall. Polaris followed with a bound. They surfaced as soon as Earth had called ‘Rushing Wind’ “We’re here!” Her sister cried, running toward the scene. “I’ve got her!”
Tuxedo Mask looked up and was relieved, but all was not in hand yet. The wind of Earth’s attack blew aside his cape and throwing a hand up, he barely saved his hat. The wind spiraled around the soldier and shot up her arm. The mist of colors was rippling in the disturbance.
Sailor Moon stared at the new soldier in outrage. “Sailor Earth!?! What are you doing!? You’re helping it! You’re blowing it away!”
“Hold on!” Earth cried. She threw up the other hand. As if magnetized, the column of wind bent, turning widely and heading back to the roof and the soldiers standing there. She spread her arms out to the sides and the whirling began to spin tightly around her, trapped with flecks of gray, black and brown.
Sailor Moon stared. “that’s amazing!”
“Hurry and heal her!” Earth urged. “I can’t hold the wind forever.”
“Right!” Sailor Moon whipped out her crescent wand, the three lights on its mount twinkling. She stepped back and traced a circle around herself. “Moon…Healing...ACTIVATION!” The magical energy traveled from her and entered the empty husk of the girl. Earth let go of the gust and it dispersed, the essence being sucked back into its owner. The excess wind whooshed out as it hit the girl and threw back the skirts and hair of the soldiers around. When all the mist had returned to her friend, Sailor Earth collapsed to her knees in relief.
“It worked!” She panted. “Oh! It worked!”
“That was incredible!” Tuxedo Mask agreed, leaning down. He put a hand on Earth’s shoulder. “You were fantastic!”
“Truly remarkable.” Luna said. “We have barely known you, Sailor Earth, but it appears that you are a soldier with incredible power.”
She smiled, then turned to Tuxedo Mask, “what let you know that I was here? You came just in time.”
“I’ve got a sixth sense about these things.” He answered.
“It’s a good thing.” Polaris agreed. “We really needed your help. And I’m really happy to…” She paused with a bit of a blush. “see you again.”
Sailor Moon looked around at the three of them. “What is going on? The three of you are like..”
They all looked up. “What?”
“I don’t know…” What she was thinking was that she knew that Olivia had a crush on Tuxedo Mask, and was suspicious that he had something going for her. But now it looked like this new soldier had something going for him as well. For the record, Tuxedo Mask was HER love interest. Still, the three of them seemed like they had an energy about them. “It’s like you belong together.”
The three in question exchanged glances. It was that concept that they had felt from the night before, and sitting around together, it was what they were feeling now. Luna looked at the three of them suspiciously. “Have you all met before?”
“Last night.” Polaris said. “At Earth’s awakening. I called you about it, remember?”
“Only last night?” Luna persisted.
The looked at each other again. It did seem like they’d known one another longer. Earth quirked an eyebrow at the black cat, “Yeah…”
Luna’s mind was swimming. The energy here was strong and more then strangely familiar. She couldn’t place it. “We’ll talk again this afternoon. After our …event… “ Luna eyed Tuxedo Mask, trying not to give too much away. “At the usual place. Until then, try not to get into any more trouble. The Negaverse is starting to attack more frequently now. We need to have a plan or else another close call like this might not end so happily.”
“Alright, Luna, alright.” Polaris brushed back her bushy blonde bangs.
Sailor Moon stood holding her wand. She was perfectly passive, then suddenly yawned. “What time is it?”
Tuxedo Mask had a watch and pulled up his sleeve. “About 10:35”
Earth and Polaris let out a cry. “10:35!?!?!” They began running around. “We’re late! We’re late! We’re late!”
“What in the world?” Tuxedo Mask inquired.
“Sunday School’s gonna let out and we won’t be there!” They cried.
Moon yawned again. “Can I go back to sleep now?”
Luna rolled her yes but nodded. “Yes we can go.” She called over to Earth and Polaris. “Remember, our ‘event’ starts at 12:30!”
“We’ll be there, Luna!” The two of them insisted.
“Alright, we’re counting on you.” Luna finished and scampered off. Sailor Moon followed, tiredly, her ponytails dragging on the ground. When they had climb down the building, Polaris dashed off.
Sailor Earth called after her. “Where are you going!?”
“I told the teacher I was going to the bathroom!” Polaris called back. “I’ve got to get back to class now before they think I flushed myself or something!”
Tuxedo Mask looked skeptical. Sailor Earth put her face in her hand, then looked back up. “Okay, go on then.”
“Bye!” Polaris hopped off the roof.
Sailor Earth looked to Tuxedo Mask. “Well, I guess you should go. I’m sure you were doing something before you showed up here.”
“Nothing too important.” He said. Earth bent down to try and puck an unconscious Kathleen and fail. He moved in and picked the girl up for her.” Let me help.”
Earth grinned. She was glad her was staying, even for only a little while longer. “Okay.” The two of them hopped from the roof and de-transformed in the alley. Sailor Earth became Jennifer Miles and Tuxedo Mask, Darien Chiba. He still had Kathleen in his arms. Jennifer beckoned him out. “this way, we’ve got to find Laury and the rest of my group.”
“I can’t stick around.” He said. She was disappointed, and he continued. “It’s too risky, I’m not supposed to be here. Especially if they brought the news out.”
“I guess you’re right.” She sighed. “Oh well.” Then she paused and looked into his deep blue eyes. “Darien?”
“Yeah?”
She knew this wasn’t good…It’d blow his cover and those of the other soldiers involved, but he inspiration was too much to pass up. “The event that Luna was talking about is a football game between my high school and Tenth Street High. I want you to come with us.”
“What?” Darien asked. “With you and Olivia?”
“Yeah,” Apparently he hadn’t considered ‘us’ to be the other Sailor Soldiers, which was a very good thing, “and Olivia’s friend Jessi, and some other girls from Tenth Street Junior High. They invited us to go, and I really want you to come. You don’t have to sit with us or whatever. You can sit wherever you want, but just so that we can run into each other again. You know, talk?”
He looked down at the fourteen-year-old, who seemed modestly hopeful. For some reason, her manner made him smile. “Okay, I’ll show up.”
She grinned broadly. “Great! I’ll be looking for you outside Tenth Street Senior High, 12:35-ish?”
“Alright.”
“Oooo! I’m so excited!” Jennifer mused. “This is gonna be great!”
It was then that the girl in Darien’s arms began to come to. Her head rolled onto his arm, and her face twitched. She moaned and her eyes opened. When she saw that she was in the arms of a stranger, they opened very wide. “Ahh!”
“Kathleen!” Jennifer cried, the scream scaring her out of her wits.
“Put me down!” She gasped. “Who are you!? Put me down!”
As he did so, Jennifer grabbed her arms. “It’s okay, he’s nice, he’s a good guy.”
“What happened?” Kathleen asked, shakily. “The last thing I remember, I was being kidnapped.”
“You must have fainted.” Jennifer lied. “The guy was only after money, when they gave it to him, he bolted. He left you in this alley where Darien and I found you.”
Kathleen was very confused, and more than a little freaked out. Darien moved to leave. “12:35 right?”
“Yeah! I’ll be waiting for you at the entrance!” Jennifer answered. “See you soon!” He nodded and split. Jennifer grabbed Kathleen’s arm and ran out into the assembled crowd shouting. “I found her! I found her!” The local new station swarmed, but Laury shoved through.
“Jennifer, Kathleen, are you two okay? We’ve been looking everywhere for you! You scared us to death!”
“I’m fine.” Kathleen said. “I don’t know what happened, but I guess I’m alright.”
A cheery reporter poked in. “Is this the girl who was kidnapped?”
“Yes she is.” Came the answer.
“Would you like to answer some questions?” The reporter inquired.
Right then, all Kathleen really wanted was to go home or at least back to church. She wanted to get away from all the commotion. “uh…not really.”
A policeman barged in. “What did your abductor look like? Did you see his face?”
“I don’t remember.” She told them.
An ambulance had pulled up. The paramedics shoved through the crowd. We would like to check her out, okay?” They grabbed her. “Excuse us.” And so the fuss continued. The reporters for the newspapers and news channels and radio were all showing up to get a quote from the witnesses and especially the reluctant star. Jennifer ruled it best to turn down interview requests for fear of leaking too much information. It took nearly fifteen minutes for the paramedics to be done with their examination. Kathleen’s mother had shown up alone with many of the parents of the kids. Most of the youth group had made their way there, including Olivia’s class, with Jessi. Olivia found her way over to her sister.
Jennifer leaned in. “Did you make it back okay?”
“Yeah, but it took some fast talking. I had to explain why I was half and hour in the bathroom. They’d actually sent people out to look for me.”
“Here you are!” Jessi cried, fighting her way to Olivia’s side through the mob. “I lost you for a sec.”
“Sorry.” Olivia shrugged. Their parents showed up.
“Are you girls okay?”
“Yeah, we’re fine.” Jennifer insisted for what seemed like the hundredth time. Nearby, the paramedics turned to Mrs. Tait and Laury. “She’s in perfectly good health. No signs of mistreatment or anything. She’s a little shaken, though. Our prescription is to take her home and let her rest in a place she’s familiar with.” Her mother agreed, and young Kathleen Tait was whisked away form the area, much to the disappointment of the press. The policeman brought out a megaphone and one of them spoke to the crowd.
“The excitement is over! You can all go back to what you were doing! Return to your lives, citizens.” He turned to a fellow officer. “I’ve always wanted to say that!”
Reluctantly, they did so, and the First Pres. Group moved off down the block.

* * *

Queen Beryl had been hard at work narrowing down the selection for assassin. She had to pick someone who could do away with Malachite, and also take his job for him. Whoever it was had to be able to do it using the least energy possible and make it clean and professional. None of her generals could do that, she’d killed most of them off. She had begun searching the lower ranks. “An aspiring terrorist.” She muttered to herself, listing the requirements in her head. “An obedient servant. A heartless murderer.” She had taken out an enlistment roster. She found the file of a young woman with tinted back hair. It bled into fluorescent yellow at the tips and was pulled back in a disheveled knot. The evil queen read the name. “Selenite. 18 years old. Hobby; knife throwing and energy training.” She was grinning, one fang bared. “Perfect.”

~End~

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment