Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 8 - Episode 7: A Turn of the Cards

There is a new Sailor Soldier in town, and a new plot to steal the energy of the Earth. The first chapter is short and kinda sucks because I wrote it ages ago, but starting chapter 2 it gains real credibility and depth unfolding an epic story about

Chapter 8 - Episode 7: A Turn of the Cards

Chapter 8 - Episode 7: A Turn of the Cards
Sailor Moon P
Episode 7: A Turn of the Cards

Beryl had taken her lunch break and returned in a near fit of anticipation. She stood in front of her throne and addressed the assembled multitudes. “People of the Kingdom of the Negaverse!” She cried. “Today I am unfortunately announcing the death of one of your own!” The people of the court began to muter among themselves. They were suspicious of the look on the queen’s face as she announced this “terrible news”. Beryl’s smile was explained in a minute, and the red-haired general Zoicite’s breath caught in her throat. She’d had a feeling as to what was coming. “The truth is that General Malachite has died today.”
‘DIED!?!’ Zoicite’s mind froze. ‘As in PAST TENSE!?!’
“Well, It’s not quite true yet, what I should say is that I’m having him killed. He is worthless and a waste of energy. All I need is someone to volunteer to do the job.” No one spoke up, they were still struggling to grasp the meaning of what she meant. Some felt it was wrong to slay a fellow soldier. Some worried about the social consequences of volunteering. Others would have gladly raised their hands if their reflexes had been faster, but Beryl wasn’t waiting. She already had someone in mind. “If there are no volunteers among you cowards, then I will select. I have narrowed down my list of possible assassins and arrived at one eligible candidate…” The assembled army waited with interest to see who it was their queen had chosen. Chrysoberyl, Beryl’s beautiful daughter held her breath. The plan was succeeding. She stole a glance to her husband on the other side of the queen. He had his eyes closed and his head angled down. She let out her held breath in a sigh. Beryl continued. “Would Private Selenite please step up here.”
Down on the floor, there was a turning of heads as the 18-year-old girl was singled out. She had narrow orange eyes and black hair pulled back in a knot. The ends were bleached and dyed to a flaming yellow and some stuck out at odd angles from her disheveled bun. When she realized that she was the one being called, she broke rank and stepped up to the throne. Masculinely, she dropped to one knee in a bow, then looked up to the Queen. “I am Selenite, your majesty.”
“Your record makes you out to be quite an aspiring young fighter. I’ve found that you participate in knife throwing?” Beryl prodded.
“Yes, Majesty, as a hobby. I am known as the best marksmen in my regiment. It would be my honor to follow your orders.” She said. Her voice as still young and a little defiant, she both looked and sounded like she wasn’t to be pushed around.
“Marvelous.” Beryl sneered in ecstasy. “You will be sent down at once to slay the General. Of course, a promotion is included and you will be honored with his position. You will also complete his task form him at his expiration. You have an hour to prepare, then report to me.”
Selenite bowed again. “Thank you, Queen Beryl.”
The queen raised her hand. “Now all of you out of my sight! I wish to watch this privately in my quarters.” With that, she left. The assemblage broke up. Selenite turned to her regiment waiting behind her. After a couple of professional moments, she let down her guard and squealed like the 18-year-old she was. Her girlfriends and some other guy friends rushed over to congratulate her.
“It’s my first assignment and I’m going to be GENERAL!!!” She cried. She and the other girls began jumping up and down. “This is the break I’ve been waiting for!”
“Sel! This is great!” Her friends mused and they all got into a bubbly conversation about it.
Zoicite watched in disgust. With a flip of her ponytail, she strode out of the room. No squealing rookie was going to take her love away from her. She recalled Kyanite’s words from earlier that day. ‘The only thing would be to send down another soldier to protect him, but that would be turning my own forces against each other, I can’t do that’. “No,” Zoicite muttered, “no you cant send someone. But if someone were to volunteer, then it’s a completely different story. I would rather be with Malachite and disgraced than live with honor without him. I will be the one to protect him. She retreated to her quarters and stole some energy to open a portal. There was no turning back. Selenite would be coming after him in an hour, and once Zoicite stepped through that doorway, her life would change forever.

* * *

Church was over and the Miles family had changed clothes and was driving to the Tenth Street Senior High. Jennifer and Olivia were strangely quiet. Jessi felt awkward. She cleared her throat. “Uh…um…so, what’s up?”
The two others looked startled and quickly snapped. “Nothing!”
Jessi jumped at their abruptness. “O-okay, sorry.”
Their parents could sense the strangeness too. Mr. Miles stole a moment to look back over his shoulder. “So girls, what did you learn today?”
The siblings warily exchanged glances. “Um…” Neither of them had been in class long, they had taken off to fight a battle before they had gotten much out of the lesson. Jennifer answered first. “We uh, we didn’t learn that much because of Kathleen, and, stuff.” It wasn’t entirely a lie, the lesson was pretty much lost when Malachite held up their coffee shop and kidnapped one of the kids. The car had a knowing silence. The question was left to Olivia and Jessi. Olivia didn’t have much of an excuse; the fifth grade class hadn’t been affected by the excitement until very late in the lesson. Her excuse of absence had been an extended bathroom visit. The blonde looked over her shoulder to Jessi.
“Uh, what did we learn?”
“It was about the whale thing.” Jessi answered. “The guy who was eaten by a whale?”
“Actually it was a ‘great fish’” Mr. Miles said. “And what did your teachers say about him?”
“Uh…he,” Olivia searched her mental, Sunday school database for past ‘Jonah and the Whale’ lessons. “He ran away?”
“Yes…” her father prodded.
She proceeded with caution. “Then he came back?”
Jennifer ‘hmph’ed with amusement.
Mrs. Miles sought to change the subject. “So, who’s playing at this ball game today?”
“It’s the Tenth Street High School’s football team verses the Ruth Lovell High School.” Jennifer said. “So it’s my high school verses Serena and Amy and Lita’s high school.”
“That sounds like fun, are you sure it’ll all turn out okay, since you are tooting for different teams?” Their mother asked.
“It’ll be fine, Mom, we’re only going for guy watching anyway.” Olivia assured. Jennifer, knowingly, kept quiet. She hadn’t told Olivia that she had invited Tuxedo Mask to come too. She knew that Olivia liked him, but she liked him too. The minute she became Sailor Earth and took a look at him, she’d felt a strong sense of desire. She wanted to be with him, she’d found him amorous in a new and strange way. She wanted to learn about him, and what he liked and how he moved. She was happy when they were working together, even when the two of them were arguing; she enjoyed listening. She seemed, nearly, to recognize the sound of his voice and certain phrases. She found it strangely captivating. It wasn’t long before they pulled up in front of the Tenth Street Senior High. Jennifer checked her watch. 12:00. She’d told Darien to meet her out in front at 12:35. She had a little over a half an hour to get settled, then sneak out to meet him. Jessi and Olivia leapt out of the van.
“Wake up, Jennifer, lets go!” Olivia nudged.
Jennifer responded and climbed out, shutting the door. Her mother leaned out the passenger-side window. “We’ll pick you up in about three hours.”
“Okay! Bye!” They waved and the beige van pulled off, out, and away down the road.
Jessi, Olivia, and Jennifer moved to stand in line with the other spectators waiting to get into the stadium. The Tenth Street Sr. High football field was along the side of the main building and open to the street on one side and at the head. Bleachers had been erected against one school wall and along the lengthy side near the road. It wasn’t anything spectacular, but it had one of those wooden protection barriers running around it with advertisements and school logos painted on it. Several of the spectators were leaning or sitting on them waiting for the game to start. The field was exactly what should have been expected of a small city school. The line was very long, however, because of the impending conflict between the two rival schools. Jennifer leaned in. “Lovell’s is better.”
Jessi sighed. “You guys are lucky.”
“How?” Olivia asked. “Because our field is better?”
The 11-year-old flipped aside her thin terra-cotta hair. “No, your mom just left you here! My mom would NEVER let me do that!”
“Well, Jennifer’s here.” Olivia pointed out. Jennifer waved as if she was watching the conversation from the other side of a window. Olivia shrugged and turned back to her friend who was just a little shorter than she was. “She’s older, so Mom trusts her to look out for us.”
“Still, she isn’t that much older.” Jessi insisted.
Olivia glanced from Jessi’s green eyes to her sister. “Three Years.”
“But in three years, you’ll be able to go places by yourself.” Jessi said. “My mom doesn’t trust me to sharpen a pencil on my own!”
“Your mom’ll come around sooner or later.” Olivia assured. “She can’t keep you on a leash forever.”
“No, Paranoia’s a disease.” Jessi assured. “I’m going to have to run away if I want to go to college.”
The line moved up and Jennifer spied a group of girls behind the stadium fence. There were five of them, on had long blonde hair pulled up in two buns, there was a tall brunette with her hair in a ponytail, another blonde with her hair in a bow, a girl with blue-tinted short hair, and the last had very long black hair. She recognized them from the Sports Club right away and waved. The girl with the buns noticed and waved frantically back “Hey!!!”
“Serena and everybody are already here!” Jennifer said to her sister, then looked a little closer. “Wait, Courtney’s not there.”
“Running late? She probably slept in.” Olivia shrugged.
“The girl’s nocturnal anyway, I’m not surprised.” Jennifer agreed.
On the other side of the fence, Serena called to the three waiting. “Hey girls!”
“Hey!”
“Took you long enough!” Lita, the brunette called.
“We’re on time!” Olivia called back. “What are you talking about!?!”
“You missed warm-up!” Raye called. “The game starts in 15 minutes, all the hot guys are in the locker rooms already!”
“Dang!” Jennifer called back in mock disappointment. “What a loss! We’ll only be able to stare at them for another hour or two!”
“Yeah! Whatever!” Mina, the bow girl called back.
“You’ve got interesting friends.” Jessi leaned over to Olivia. “Are they all older than you?”
“Yeah, but here’s the weird thing,” Olivia explained, “they are all fourteen like Jennifer, but they’re all in Seventh grade when she’s in Eighth. Weird huh?”
“Yeah, why is that?”
“Its some sort of zoning thing.” Olivia answered. The line moved up and they had soon bought their tickets and on the preferred side of the fence. It was up to Olivia to introduce everyone. “Hi, everybody, this is Jessi.” She began again, directing attention to her peer. “She’s my friend from school.” The girls all waved.
“Hi, Jessi” Came the chorus.
Olivia began the tedious job of identifying all of her friends and after introducing the unexpected leader, Serena, the intellectual Amy, the boisterous Mina, the tough Lita, and the psychic priestess girl Raye, Jessi was intimidated and a little confused.
“Well,” Mina sighed, “should we go sit down?”
“Wait, what about Courtney?” Lita asked.
“You mean there’s more!?” Jessi asked, exasperated.
Jennifer saw opportunity smiling on her. “I’ll stay and wait for her!”
“Really? Alone?” Serena asked. “You sure you don’t want someone to wait with you? It sounds boring.”
“I’m sure, I’m sure!” Jennifer insisted. If she were waiting for Courtney, she would have an excuse to stick around and watch for Darien.
The others looked unsure, but complied anyway. “Okay, we’ll save you a seat.”
“Okay!” Jennifer waved, “Bye! Don’t worry! I’ll be fine by myself! I’LL STAY RIGHT HERE!”
Jessi leaned to Olivia as they followed the other five. “You sister is a little weird.”

* * *

So much was happening. Selenite was meeting with Beryl in half an hour, and Kyanite and his wife Chrysoberyl had much to do. They had rushed back to their quarters. Quasar was pacing. “Our time is running out. Beryl is taking action and we don’t even have one crystal fracture. She’s meeting with that Selenite soon, and I know what she’s going to say. She’s going to tell her about Garth. She’s going to kill him too! We’re sending Zoicite down to protect Malachite, but she doesn’t know to protect Garth. The two of them are a diversion to get him out of there! But how are we going to contact him without Beryl knowing that we’ve done it!?”
“Calm down, Kyanite.” Pulsar warned. “Don’t get hysterical, you’ll blow our cover.”
“I have a feeling I’m going to have to blow it anyway.” Quasar stated. “I’ve got to contact Garth and warn him to watch out for Selenite.”
“You can’t, Ky, Mother’ll find out for sure!” Pulsar insisted.
“Our plan is falling apart!” Quasar cried. “We can’t overthrow the monarchy without the twilight crystal and we cannot find the crystal without the Midnight Cat.” He turned to his wife, his voice becoming louder with his frustration. “If she kills Garth, then we’ll be hopeless, we’d need an army to dethrone her! The two of us are going to exposed and executed, and this endless cycle of tyranny and hate will continue forever under Beryl’s hand! We’ve got to do something, Chry! We don’t have a lot of choices!”
Chrysoberyl put her hands on her husband’s shoulders. “We’ll do something, Ky, we will. It’s not our fault we couldn’t find the crystal. Garth has been trying, we just needed more time.” She got more serious, her green eyes hollowing and setting with a look of gravity. “We may have to take care of this personally. There is no room for us up here, to find the twilight crystal we will have to find the fractures ourselves.”
“Chrysoberyl!” Quasar cried, he stepped out of her grasp. “You can’t leave here! You have the power! If you are exiled, there will be no hope. I can’t take the throne. Marriage means nothing up here. You are the blood.” She fought to retain her mask of coldness, but her eyes were twitching as he continued. “You need to be kept safe. You are too important to the mission and I love you too much to allow something dangerous like that.” He took a deep, determined breath. “I’ll go.”
“Kyanite, you cant!” Chrysoberyl broke, but the two of them just stood and stared at each other. Chrysoberyl smoothed down her dress. “I’ll see if I can catch what mother says when she audiences with Selenite. I’ll tell you if she’s attacking Garth or just Malachite.”
“It’s wishful thinking, Chrysoberyl.” Kyanite stated, but he saw her self-hardened eyes and knew that she was fighting as hard as she could. He rubbed his hands over his face, using one finger to trace his scar down over his blind eye. “Alright, Chry, you do that. Meanwhile, I’ll do some training and conditioning just in case I do have to go down there.” He headed out of their room and down the hall, leaving her alone to shatter and weep in private.

* * *

Oblivious to the problems facing his plan, Garth’s cat instincts were pressing him with a sense of urgency. They’d tried five targets, each one having the greatest potential to hold a crystal fracture but all of them empty. He dashed along the streets of the city, his navy fur rippling over his muscles and his narrowed, yellow, pupil-less eyes wide in panic. His ears were eternally bent back over his neck and he had a bold orange crescent moon inverted on his forehead. Malachite, the doomed general, was running to keep up with him. For a cat, Garth was very fast. “Where are we going, now, cat!?”
“We’re chasing a new lead.” Garth announced. “There is no more time. We need to find the three fractures quickly.”
“Oh great.” Malachite stumbled alone, his cape getting caught in his legs as he ran. “Why don’t you just shell out a ton of those magic Sailor Brat Wands? Then you can hit tons at a time.”
“That’ll do us no good.” Garth shot back. “The dark soldiers are powered by the joint reserves of Pulsar and Quasar’s powers. They cannot support hundreds of soldiers at one time!”
“And what in the world does that mean, anyway!?” Malachite demanded.
“Pulsar and Quasar are Sailor Soldiers.” Garth explained.
“Yes, I know that!”
“But…” Garth continued, “a pulsar and a quasar are types of stars. Stars are not static like planets are, and therefore continue to put out energy, even when they are not being called upon to do so. Pulsar and Quasar as soldiers are not using that energy in the form of sailor powers or transformations, therefore the energy has been built up in a reserve that is readily available for my use in making mock sailor soldiers.”
“This is so complicated.” Malachite announced. “There are too many details. You come at me with a new tidbit of information every day. I’ll never understand.”
“Then shut your mouth and follow like the drone you are!” Garth spat.
“I resent that! I am a general!” Malachite replied.
“We nee to move quickly.” Garth said again. “Very quickly.” The two of them crossed a street, weaving through traffic, then ran along behind a row of buildings. Garth sniffed the air, his whiskers fanned, trying to pick up the signature odor of self-loathing and pity. There was a strong concentration of it rising from the southwest. He shot his head to the side and took off in that direction. A stronger stench meant more prospective targets. He would work his way through them until he found the Fractures and then he would return them to Sir Quasar and Lady Pulsar so that they might use the power to bring peace to the Negaverse. There was a lot depending on him and every nerve in his body sensed that their chances were dwindling as time was running out.

* * *

The Sports Club minus Jennifer and Courtney had arrived at their seats. Luna and Artemis, the two magic cats, were waiting there obediently. Although feline in form, the minds of these two were near if not more advanced than the unassuming humans situated around them. As the girls came down the row, Raye signaled for the cats to keep quiet, Jessi couldn’t hear them talk or else there would have to be a lot of fast-talking. They all sat down. Artemis climbed across her lap to plant himself, a white ball, next to Mina, who was his owner. She picked him up under the armpits and showed him to Jessi, who was sitting two people down next to Amy. “Look, Jessi, this is Artemis!”
“Wow!” Jessi grinned. “I love cats, I’ve always wanted one, but mom won’t let me get on because she’s afraid it’ll scratch me or I’ll trip on it and fall down the stairs, or I’ll end up being allergic to it or something.” She got up and reached over Amy and Lita to pet Artemis behind the ears. He twitched hi long white tail and cocked his head to make it easier for her to reach. Much to his disappointment, Mina took him back and set him down next to her.
Serena was sitting next to Olivia on Jessi’s left. She stood up. “Do you guys see the football team anywhere?”
“Who exactly are you looking for, Serena?” Lita asked.
“It doesn’t matter! Everyone on our team is hot!”
“Hey! Our team’s pretty hot, too!” Olivia cried.
“Ours is hotter!” Serena boasted.
“You can’t prove that!” Olivia challenged. “Our Lovell guys are hot, and you’ll melt as soon as you see them.”
“No way!” Serena replied. “I’ve been stalking the Tenth Street guys since 5th grade! There’s no way no South County hick boys can ever measure up to pure, sweet, Tenth Street goodness!”
“You take that back!” Jessi joined in.
“Never!” Serena cried.
“Grr!” The two 5th graders growled.
Amy called for order. “Maybe Serena should sit away from the Ruth Lovell supporters. She is obviously going to be very passionate about this game.”
“Good idea!” Lita agreed. She grabbed Serena’s hand and slung he to the side, plopping her down in between herself and Amy. On the way, the blonde smacked a very large man in the back of the head. The man got up and turned menacingly on them.
“Hey, you pipsqueaks! Watch what you’re doin’!”
“Sorry sir.” They said. They expected the apology to be enough, but he continued to shout at them.
“And the lot of you better not bother me again! I came here to watch this game, not to deal with snot-nose brats like you!”
“We’ll be careful, Geez!” Raye cried.
“Shut up with the attitude or I’ll snap you in half!” The man threatened.
“Rhrear…” Artemis spat.
“Which one of you did that!?!” The stranger cried.
Mina elbowed Artemis. Amy tried to make amends. “Please, sir, if you would please sit down and return to what you were doing, I promise, we will not bother you again.”
“Hmph!” The stranger snorted and sat back down, his size filling the space of three on the bleacher.
The girls exchanged glances. Serena whispered. “What a grouch.”
Lita agreed. “He needs to switch to de-caff.”
Jessi looked out over the crowd. “Do you see your sister anywhere?”
Olivia started looking too. “No, I guess she’s still waiting for Courtney.”
“Who is this Courtney girl we’re waiting for?” Jessi asked.
“She’s a part of the sports club. She’s just like the rest of us, a teenage fan girl looking for a hot guy to drool at.”
“Oh.” Jessi said. The marching band began to filter out onto the field. “Do you guys drool at the band too?”
“I don’t think so. Jennifer probably does. I think everyone else is looking for muscles.”

Jennifer was too busy to stare at the band. She was distracted searching for Darien. She was so occupied looking for the 20-year-old that she missed out on several key personages as they arrived on the scene. Along the fence to her left, Garth and Malachite had trotted up. The silver-haired general leaned on the fence and looked down at his ‘partner’. “You are not intending to search through all of these, are you?”
“It is of no business of yours.” Garth hissed. “Wretched human.”
Malachite cocked an eyebrow at the harsh response. “A little bitter still? Perhaps you should take out your grief on someone else for a change.”
“I am about to.” Garth assured. “I’m going to take out my grief on this whole stadium full of people.” Malachite was about to say something, but the cat interrupted him. “Over this fence! We need to get inside!”
“Why even bother bring me anyway?” Malachite asked. “I never do anything.”
“You are my worthless human bodyguard.” Garth informed him. “You are here to cover my operation and open doors for me.”
“One of these times, I will shut your door on you, Master.” Malachite promised.
Garth fanned his whiskers again, trying to pinpoint the most wretched person behind the fence. It was impossible at that distance and with such a high concentration of people present. He headed off down the fence toward a less populated region of the school-side wall. “Follow. We’ll keep some cover at least. We will hop the fence around the back.”
Malachite groaned and strode after the cat.

Jennifer stood on her tiptoes, trying to find a head of short black hair among the people waiting to get in. To her right, in a shadow, a Negaversian portal rippled open. The red-haired general stepped out. “What is this?” She asked. Her ponytail flopped back and forth behind her neck as she looked from side to side. “Is this truly where Malachite is? In such a peaceful, happy, crowded place? It is not his strategy…” She turned and saw her doorway close behind her. “The portal never lies.” She recalled. “He is here. I just have to find him. Quickly. Before that assassin does.” With a new sense of determination, she straightened her uniform and attempted to bleed casually into the crowd.

The marching band was parading about, their performance nearly complete. Jennifer stole a glance at her watch. 12:45. Darien was nearly ten minutes late. She’d known him for two days, but something inside told her that he was not usually late. She began to worry. Had he ditched her? Did he not want to see her again? Didn’t he like her? “My gosh, I stink at this romance crud! He probably had second thoughts because of what a loser I am.” Then she reconsidered. “No. He’ll come. He promised. Darien never backs out of his promises.” What made her so certain, she didn’t know, but she waited expectantly for him to show up.
Being lost in thought, she’d completely missed the reason she’d stayed at the gate in the first place. Courtney Dianne had made it into the stadium at a run and bolted past her friend without even looking. Inside the field, the game was about to start. A quick scan pinpointed the location of the rest of the sports club. The brunette headed up the stairs and plopped herself next to Olivia on the end. “Hi guys!”
Olivia took a double take. “Courtney!? Where’s Jennifer?”
Courtney looked bemuddled. That wasn’t the response she was expecting. “I- I don’t know.”
“She was supposed to be waiting for you…did you see her?” Amy asked.
“No, but I kinda ran in.” Courtney explained. “I could have missed her.”
“Now she’ll be down there forever!” Lita cried.
“I’ll go find her.” Olivia resolved, standing up.
“I’ll come too.” Jessi said, not wanting to be left alone with a bunch of older girls.
“Okay.” Olivia agreed.
“But the game’s about to start!” Serena said. “You’ll miss the beginning.”
“Maybe we’ll be back before the hot Lovell guys get out!” She stuck her tongue out at Serena then turned to Jessi. “C’mon, let’s go.” The two 11-year-olds headed down the stairs and into the crowd of people trying to make it up to the bleachers.

* * *

The young man who Jennifer was waiting for knew that he was running late as he drove his red sports car toward the west of town. Darien didn’t know why he was doing this. It was against his better judgment, and he was risking the chance of exposing himself to the other Sailor Soldiers. He didn’t really want to know who they were, either. He wasn’t out to make enemies or allies, his mind drifted back to his recurring dream. The princess on the beach, and the Imperium Silver Crystal. He had work to do. To find the crystal he needed all the Rainbow Crystals, and he still had one to find, apparently. He couldn’t afford to be meeting up with a girl. But he was, anyway, and it was something he wanted to do. Perhaps she was his princess…
As he pulled off onto the shoulder of the highway and slowed on his way up the exit ramp, he caught sight of something by the side of the road. Something blue…or maybe more turquoise, and fuzzy. As he drove past, he saw it was a cat. It raised its head and looked at him, its large brown eyes looking nearly human as well as sad, hungry and lost. His heart melted. This wasn’t some road-kill, this cat was still alive and might need help. He was already late, but perhaps this was a sign, if it was injured too badly, he would have to take it to the vets and be forced to skip his rendezvous with Jennifer. He stopped on the shoulder and got out.
The cat looked in disbelief, and shoved herself shakily to her paws. Her coat was covered in ash, and she was very thin from days without food. Darien kneeled down next to her. “Hey, kitty, what are you doing out here?”
“M-mew-“ she rasped.
“You’re looking pretty bad, but it doesn’t seem like you got hit or anything. Although you are pretty dirty.” He reached down and dusted her off a little. On its forehead, he uncovered a yellow crescent moon. “Interesting markings…you would be easy enough to identify if I put you in the lost and found column. Come on.”
Seeing an open arm, and deliverance from another day of starving, the cat struggled over and let Darien pick it up. He took her back to his car and placed her in the passenger seat. He’d been eating lunch on the way, but gave the rest of it to the unfortunate feline. It felt good to be a Samaritan. The cat gratefully gobbled the meat out of his sandwich and stared up at him as he started the car back up and took off. In her intelligent mind, she was in awe of this kind soul, who seemed somehow familiar…

* * *
Selenite stood before her queen. Beryl was in her sitting room outside her quarters. The newly appointed general stood confidently at attention. Beryl eyed her contentedly. Chrysoberyl was outside the door listening and hoping that her mother had forgotten about the threat she’d made against the Midnight Cat.
“Selenite.” Beryl spoke. “You have been chosen to eliminate General Malachite. Are you prepared?”
“Yes, m’lady.” Selenite confirmed.
“And are you prepared for your new task of hunting rainbow crystals?”
“Yes, m’lady.” She repeated.
“To find Rainbow Crystals, you must first find the carrier and remove the crystal from them. You are only looking for one crystal, so as soon as you find it, report back here.” Beryl commanded. “And do not use any energy. I am conserving as much as I can for the release of the Negaforce, and have already wasted far too much on Malachite and this stupid runaround.”
“That is why I throw knives, your highness.” Selenite stated.
“Indeed.” Beryl hissed. “You are well prepared, but there is one last article I must employ you to.” Chrysoberyl caught her breath as her mother continued. “There is another target. Yes, I want you to kill Malachite, but there is someone else I would also have you take care of. He is a cat. A blue one. It belongs to my son-in-law, but it has tried my patience long enough. I want you to eliminate it as well.”
“A cat?” Selenite confirmed. “Have no fear, m’lady. It is as good as dead.”
Chrysoberyl leaned on the wall. ‘So that’s it. It is final.’ She slipped into her audience status, not wanting to reveal the sense of doom she had overwhelm her. Paling her face and setting her eyes, she moved stonily away from the door to tell her husband. What had happened to their plan? An hour ago, it seemed to be going perfectly and then Beryl decided to attack Garth. Now Kyanite would have to expose his anti-monarchial intentions and be banished…or worse.
She felt like the General Zoicite that Kyanite had been speaking to. Her love was in the same situation. But what could she do about it? Chrysoberyl stopped in the hall. She would do the same thing that Zoicite did. She would follow Kyanite down to earth and protect him at all costs. It would make him mad, she was sure, but the thought of being trapped in the Negaverse alone with no one to share her true emotions and opinions would drive her insane. She’d run the risk of becoming like her mother, and lapse permanently into her cold, lifeless state of mind.
Kyanite warned her many times not to spend too much time stone faced. ‘You’ll lose yourself,’ he’d said, ‘and that is too precious a thing to lose.’
That settled it. If Kyanite had to go, she’d follow him and when it came down to it, she would face the consequences. She had priorities after all.

* * *

Selenite’s audience was brief, and Beryl had her open a portal to Earth. “I don’t know exactly where they are…” Beryl told her, “But you can find them easily enough using this;” she presented the 18-year-old with an energy crystal. “This device is trained on negative energy and the blood of Negaversians. It will not detect you because you are its charge.” The queen floated the apparatus to the assassin, who took it in her hand. “Notice how the crystal glows with an inner fire. When you arrive on the earth, the flame will be put out, but it will rekindle again when the blood of another Negaversian is near, or when negative energy is being used. That accounts for both the man and the cat.”
“Thank you, Majesty.” Selenite bowed again. “I go to obey your orders.”
“You are dismissed.” Beryl said, motioning her through the portal. “And make it a good show. I will be the only one watching, but I will do so with great interest.”
“I will not fail you.” Selenite assured. She bowed at the hip, then straightened up and headed through the doorway. Moving from Beryl’s sitting room in the Negaverse to the sunny streets of the Universe was no more than a matter of stepping through a hole in the planal rift. Once she stood on the sidewalk, the doorway closed.
There was quite a crowd assembled around her. An ambulance and a couple police cars parked nearby, she could see them through the heads. Most of the people were clearing out. The 18-year-old looked behind her. She was in front of a Starbucks.
“So, you stuck me at his last haunt?” Selenite asked the air. “Resourceful. Now let’s take a look at this gizmo.” She held up the Seeking Crystal. As predicted, it was cold as ice, even to the touch. In all those people, Malachite and his cat were not among them. “On the move…” She held the crystal in the air. “Which direction?” Selenite pointed the tip of the Seeking Crystal at each of the four compass points. It seemed warmest west-southwest. “This way.”
“Excuse me, miss.” A voice interrupted. Selenite shot a police officer a steely glance as he grabbed her arm. “Do you have clearance to be here?”
She scowled and reached into her Z-storage pocket. “Pathetic Universe scum.” In a viper-fast motion, she flung a knife and caught the man in the shoulder. He let out a wail and fell back. She took off. Why waste more knives? She had a target to find.

* * *

Garth and Malachite had scaled the back fence and now stood in a huge crowd of people. The game was about to start, so the majority of them were either heading toward the field or waiting anxiously in line for food and such. “Keep with the crowd.” Garth hissed at Malachite. “You are wanted on two counts of kidnapping, now. It would serve you well not to stick out.”
“I have you to thank for both those charges.” Malachite replied.
“And don’t speak to me!” Garth added, harshly. “One sure way to single yourself out is to start talking to a cat! Shut up and follow me!”
Malachite obeyed, fuming, and followed the feline as he edged into the crowd. The pavement near the fence was nearly empty and poor Jennifer was left hanging on the links of the fence and staring out at the street. He was 30 minutes late. “What gives?” She sighed. “He promised he’d be here! He promised!”
At long last, she saw a red sports car pull up and park. A tall, dark-haired man in a green blazer and khakis climbed out. The turquoise cat looked up from inside the car. “Mew?”
“Will you be okay if I leave you in here?” Darien asked.
The cat was concerned, her amber eyes wavering. Left alone again? That was the last thing that she wanted. Darien had always been a softie for kids and animals, perhaps it was a result of his lost childhood, or the tragedy of growing up on his own. The twenty-year-old was anxious to care for someone and those big brown eyes were boring into him.
He gave in and leaned over the driver’s seat to pick up the cat. “Alright! All right! Just don’t run away.”
“Meow Meow!” The cat complied. She rode against Darien’s chest as he carried her in one arm. He was warm, she rubbed her head on him and purred. She had survived a fire, two days of wandering and scavenging, a rainstorm, and two more days of nomadity, and now she had a strange feeling that she’d found someone familiar and important.
The two of them got in the gate, paid for a ticket, and were confronted by Jennifer who was trying to be condescending. “Where have you been! I’ve been standing her for Half an Hour waiting for you!”
“Sorry, it took me a little longer than I expected.” Darien said. He motioned to the cat on his arm. “I stopped to pick up this stray by the road. Do you think being a good neighbor is a good excuse for being late?”
“Oh! She’s cute!” Jennifer mused. She took the cat from him and held it like a baby. “Okay, I’ll accept it this time, but next time you won’t be so lucky!” Jennifer slid him a smile, showing her humor.
Darien put his hands in his pockets. “So, what did you want to talk to me about?”
The fourteen-year-old lost her interest in the cat. “Nothing…really…I guess…” He leaned in. Something told him there was something important on her mind. His face so close, she felt a tremor in her heart. Her eyes reddened. “Um…” She recalled the conversation she’d had with her sister the day before.
‘ “That guy at the Rec Center…” Olivia had said.’
‘ “You mean the hot guy at the front desk?” She’d asked,’
‘ “Yeah,” Olivia had agreed. She had looked hesitant. “Did he seem…I dunno…Special?” ’
‘She heard her own voice “Special? How do you mean?”’
Oh, now Jennifer knew what she meant. The feel of his eyes on her face was making her lower lip tremble. She used one hand to cover it.
Darien noticed and put his hand on her shoulder. “What’s wrong?”
Jennifer jumped and turned a pair of anticipating, bare, and frightened hazel eyes on him. His heart stung at the look, and he was afraid that he’d given her the wrong idea with his action. He took his hand back. She watched it go back into his pocket. “I- I’m sorry.”
“Darien!?!” Jennifer cried, finally. He looked intently at her, locking eyes. She searched frantically for the right way to ask what she was thinking. “How…How do you feel…”
“What?” He asked.
“About me.” She finished. “How do you feel about me?”
“How do I - ?” He wasn’t expecting an interrogation.
She held her breath. The cat on her arm looked from one to another. She was feeling it. There was a tense, unsteady emotion going on in each of their hearts. It was like she saw in the young man when they’d met earlier, only four times as strong. She was mystified by it.
“How do I feel about…you?” Darien stumbled over the answer. He reached up and rubbed the back of his neck, then tried to loosen out his turtleneck shirt. He glanced over his shoulder in either direction. “I – well – I”
She became disheartened. “I guess it was just me – “
“No – I don’t know how to – uh” He was truly struggling, his heart was beating like a drum. “There was no way he could translate what he felt when he couldn’t even figure it out for himself. He searched for a distraction. It came in the form of Olivia running up.
“JENNIFER!” She roared. Jennifer went white, caught in her deception. The cant on her arm was scared to death and scampered off into the crowd. Olivia was at a loss. “What are you doing here!?! And Darien too!? What’s going on!?!”
“I – I invited him.” Jennifer stammered.
“You INVITED him!?!” Her little sister cried. “And you didn’t tell me!?!”
“I don’t have to tell you about everything I do!” Jennifer responded sharply. “I’m the older sister, not you!”
Darien raised his hand at the elbow. “Um, do I have to be here?”
“Yes, we were talking about something really important before we were so RUDELY interrupted.” Olivia was shot the evil eye. “Why don’t you go away and leave us alone to FINISH the conversation?”
“I like him, too, Sis, why didn’t you think of THAT!?” Olivia rebounded.
“Do I really have to be here?” Darien asked.
“YES!” Jennifer barked, cementing him to the spot. She turned to her sister again. “I’m older! He’s closer to my age! He’s MINE!”
“You are six years apart!” Olivia cried. “He’s too old for you anyway!”
“That makes it even worse for you!”
“Why do you always get your way just because you are older?” Olivia demanded.
“I do not! That’s never happened!” Jennifer defended.
“It’s happening right now!” Olivia informed. “’I’m the older sister so I get this’, I’m older so I can do that, I’m older so I can go dating older guys, I’m older so I can stay at home alone while you still need a babysitter! Gag me!”
Jennifer was not at all amused by the mockery. “That’s the facts! I can’t help that I was born three years ahead of you! You need to cope with the fact that I’ll always get some stuff first, like a high school diploma, a car, a job, don’t be so selfish!”
“I’m sick of this!” Olivia burst. “I’m sick of always being second! For ONCE I want to get what I want first and make YOU wait your turn! I want you to wear my hand-me-down clothes for a change! I ant to be the one who gets Darien, not you! And it’s not fair that you ignored me even though you knew that I liked him!”
“You got to invite a friend!” Jennifer recalled. “I should too! Darien is my friend! I invited him! No go back to your little school buddy! Where’s Jessi anyway?”
“She was right behind me.” Olivia said, but she wasn’t done being angry. “Great! All I need is for her to get lost! I’ll find her later! I’m not done with you yet!!!”

* * *

Jessi had gotten lost. She stumbled around in the bustling crowd, looking for her taller companion. “Olivia!” She couldn’t see anything over the heads. “Olivia!?! Where are you!? I’ve never been all alone in a place like this before! Olivia!!! Where are you!”
Garth’s sensitive whiskers picked up the girl’s self-doubt through the people. ‘Ah-hah!’ he thought. ‘Success! Anyone who’s brokenness is strong enough to stand out in so many people has to be a carrier of one of the crystal fractures!’ The navy cat dove amongst the forest of legs and moved to seek Jessi out. Malachite lost him in an instant.
“Cat!?!” He called out, looking around where the cat used to be. “CAT!?! Garth!? You worthless hairball! Don’t tell me to follow you and then desert me!”
Around a corner, the call fell on familiar ears. Zoicite’s head snapped around, her heart racing in her throat. “Malachite?” She dashed around the corner. “MALACHTIE!?!” But like the cat, he too was lost in the sea of heads, and the noise muffled her cries. Still, she became determined. He was nearby; she was going to find him and quickly. There was no telling where Selenite could be. The general glanced swiftly to her watch. “It’s been over an hour, the assassin has probably reached the earth already! My time is running out! With Beryl’s help, that juvenile delinquent will find him in a minute! I’ve got to hurry!” She plunged in after him, becoming entangled in the group that had swallowed so many.
Garth found his lost soul beginning to panic, surrounded by strangers. Jessi’s large brown eyes were contracted and trembling. “Olivia!” She cried out frantically. “Olivia!?! Where are you!”
“Little girl!” Garth called up to her. Jessi whirled around to see where the voice was coming from. Garth called again. “Little Girl! Down Here!”
Jessi looked down and saw the cat. She paid little attention to it, the idea of it speaking to her never even crossing her mind. “Olivia!!!”
“LITTLE GIRL!” Garth yelled again. “I know where your friend is!”
“Who’s saying that!?” Jessi demanded. “Where are you!?”
“I am down here on the ground.” Garth instructed. “I am staring straight at you!” Jessi looked down and spotted him again.
“The cat?”
“Yes, the cat.”
“No way!” She insisted. “That’s impossible.”
“Stupid human! I’m speaking to you! Do you doubt your own senses!?” The navy cat had put up with this ignorance for a week now and he was thoroughly sick of dealing with an overpowering and completely stupid race such human beings. Yet again, he could always use ignorance to his advantage. “I am a mystical creature. I am all knowing and all-powerful. I was sent down from above to help you find what you are looking for!” It was an exaggeration at most. Mystical creature, he was to an extent, all knowing, he’d like to think so, and he was going to help her find what she was missing…that missing piece that would make her whole.
“You’ll help me out? My mom told me about guardian angels. Are you a guardian angel?”
“Why not.” Garth complied. “Just follow me.” Jessi tailed the navy cat to the field where they ducked under the wall-side of bleachers. Jessi looked around. “I don’t see Olivia anywhere! Is this some kind of trick?”
“I told you I’d help you retrieve what you were missing.” Garth recalled. “Now, I need you to tell me what it is that would make you the happiest in the entire world?”
“What do you mean?” The fifth grader challenged. “My mom told me never to talk to strangers and I think strange cats qualify!”
“Your mother is a fool!” Garth spat. “I am an all-powerful Chaltan from a dead planet that you destroyed.”
“I don’t know what you are talking about!” Jessi insisted. “And don’t call my mom names! She’s paranoid, not stupid. You should see how she worries about me!”
“So you want to be free of you mother?” Garth asked.
“Heck yeah!” Jessi agreed. “But like that’s ever gonna happen!” She glanced at the crowd headed for the bleachers above her. “And I still have to find Olivia, so sorry Magic Cat, but I’m leaving.”
“You are not.” Garth insisted. “I can make your mother trust you.”
“That’s impossible.” Jessi shot back.
“You are talking to a cat. Impossibility, I think, has been narrowed.” Garth observed. “Now, would you like me to change the world so that you are trusted by everyone like you deserve to be?”
Jessi glanced out over the people and to either side to make sure it was not a trick. It was certainly a tempting offer. “Yeah…”
“Then this is perfect.” He pulled out, once again, his velvet bag, took from it a pen with a black metal cap and a dark purple body. She picked it up, there was a symbol of a hand with a double ‘X’ running through it. As she stared, its magic power began to consume her. “Good…succumb…surrender to us your crystal fracture.” Garth sneered. “And help me punish this race for the deaths of my people!”

* * *

Selenite found herself outside the Tenth Street High School. She second-guessed the reliability of the Seeking Crystal upon first sight. “This is a piece a’ crud! No Negaversian soldier would choose to show up in a place like this! Rubbing elbows with universe scum, it’s vulgar.” But the crystal was trained on Negaversian blood, and a man cannot deny what flows in his veins. The flame was brighter headed in that direction, so with a shrug, she moved to enter. She could have easily blasted a hold in the fence. Part of her training as a private in the army was energy control, and if she’d had permission, she would have enjoyed forcing her way in. For now, though, she would have to climb. Pocketing the crystal, she grasped the links and pulled herself over. She landed her boots on the cement, and headed casually into the stadium. In her subspace pocket, she was fingering a knife.

* * *

The turquoise cat was once again alone. After her initial fright, she’d lost her two new companions and was now searching for them. She sniffed. A familiar scent caught her nose. She spoke for the first time in days. “Chatlan? There are others here?” She closed her eyes and took a better whiff. “A darker smell than what I’ve smelt before, but it’s from home.” She fanned her whiskers and felt the space. “Queen Serenity wanted us to find each other as well as the moon princess. I’m taking a step toward completing my mission!” She set her amber eyes. “I’ve got to find that cat!!!”
She headed toward the field, crossing over the white painted lines and coming to stand on the grassy turf. Standing apart from the rest of the crowd, she tested the wind and picked up the scent again. TI seemed to come from either side of her. The scent of Chatlans was in the bleachers to the left and the bleachers to the right. The wind blew up from her left, bringing the cat smell stronger from there. She decided to follow this trail.
“I can find the others!” She said, hope restored.

* * *

Garth twitched his tail as he watched Jessi’s trembling hand raise the transformation pen. Her bright brown eyes were clouded over in blackness. Negative energy was welling up in the back of her mind. Her hand became steady. She began to sell with the energy, and all her power and thought was narrowed and condensed into two words. “DARK ARA!!!”
Her voice echoed out, and all those sensitive heard it:

Up in the bleachers, things had been going fine. The teams had finally rushed the field and the girls were all shouting for their favorite side. “I can’t believe everyone’s missing this!” Lita cried, jumping up and down. “Wahoo!!! Go Tenth Street!”
Courtney was the only one unaffiliated. She went to a different school than either Jennifer or Serena. She cheered for what she knew. “Come on Hot Guy in the Black Jersey! Wahoo”
The fat man was now sitting in front of her, and he turned around and shook his fist. “What did I warn you girls!?”
“Yeahhhhh!” Courtney let out a wail and clung to Amy beside her. “What is that!?”
Amy tried again, frantically, to make amends. “We’re terribly sorry sir! Please watch the game! Sir, We’re sorry, we’ll be quiet!”
He turned back around with a nasty glance at them. Serena hopped up and down. “Tenth Street! Tenth Street!”
Amy shushed her, but not before the man turned back around. “Shaddup!!!”
Serena was silenced almost immediately. When the man returned to watching the game, she stuck her tongue out at him. Luna looked worried. “Where are those girls? The is something strange going on.” In the distance, the cry was heard, and no one thought anything about it. Raye was seized with a wave of Negative presence. She caught her breath. Luna, beside her looked up. “Raye, do you sense something?”
“It’s a concentration unlike any other concentration I’ve felt.” Raye answered. “It is very nearby. There is a lot of activity here.”
“I sense it too.” Luna confirmed. “You girls should check this out.”
“Right.” Raye agreed. She turned to the other five. “I’m up for a hot dog, anyone else?” They were puzzled so she gave them a wink. The more astute of them nodded with comprehension.
Lita stood up. “Yeah…uh, me too!”
“And me.” Mina agreed.
“I would also like to come.” Amy voiced. “It is part of the ballgame experience.”
“What are you guys doing!?! The game just started!” Serena cried. “Cant it wait ‘till halftime!?”
“No, we have to go. NOW!” Raye insisted, stressing the ‘now’ and staring into Serena’s face.
“But I don’t want to!” Serena repeated.
“I do, and I really want you to come with me!” She yanked Serena up and drug her onto the bleacher stairs.
Courtney made a motion to follow. “Let’s all go.”
“No, Courts, why don’t you stay here and save our seats?” Lita suggested. “We’ll be right back.”
“Okay, I guess…” Courtney didn’t seem very happy to be left alone saving seven seats, but if they were going to abandon her, then she didn’t want them mad at her, too, when their spot was stolen. What their luck, the fat man in front of them would probably lean back and take up two rows instead of the one that he had already.

Olivia stopped mid-bicker and snapped her head around.
Jennifer was put off. “What now!?!”
“Heard something!” Olivia insisted.
“I don’t hear anything.” Jennifer said, crossly. “Of course, I can’t hear anything above you screaming.”
“I didn’t really hear it…” Olivia replied. “I more of, sensed it.”
“You’re just changing the subject!” Jennifer accused. “You know I’m right!”
“No I wasn’t and No your not!!!”

Selenite’s seeking stone began burning through her pocket. “Yeahhh! Ahh! What’s going on!?!” She dug it out and juggled it to keep it from burning her hand. The flame blazed uncontrollable, leaving the formerly dark crystal a blinding light. As she tossed it, it changed brightness dramatically when switching from her right to her left hand. “There is a huge concentration of energy over there by that field.” She observed. “THAT’S where I’ll find my target!”

Zoicite’s senses picked it up faintly. She looked about, frantically, afraid that the disturbance meant Selenite as attacking, and caught a glimpse of Malachite’s long silver hair. Her heart pounded hard. “Malachite!”
He paused. “I could have sworn I heard my name!” He thought. He edged over by the wall of a vending booth and waited to see if he heard it again.
“Malachite!” He turned his head and saw Zoicite running toward him.
“Zoicite!?!”
“Malachite!!!” She jumped into his arms, and buried her face in his chest. “I found you! You’re all right! I found you in time!”
“Zoicite!?! Wha – What are you doing here!?!” Stunned and surprised, he could do nothing but stare down at her as she fought to stop the tears of joy that had escaped her eyes.
She took a deep breath and reminded herself of the gravity of her mission. She drew back and wiped her eyes, then turned a look of determination to him. “You’ve got to get out of here!”
“Hold on a second, Zoicite, let me sort something out.” Malachite reigned, he grabbed her elbows and bent down to look into her eyes. “Why are you here!?”
“Beryl’s trying to kill you.” Zoicite reported.
“Well, I know that!” Malachite cried. “I’ve been a dead man ever since that Quasar freak showed up!”
“No, you don’t understand!” Zoicite insisted. “She’s HAVING you killed! I am lucky I found you before she did!”
“You shouldn’t have come after me!” Malachite told her. “Your life is in danger, now! Go back to the other side before Beryl knows you’re here!”
“Don’t treat me like a little girl!” Zoicite replied. “I’m strong! Don’t think I didn’t think this through! I’m doing what I want to! Lets get out of here!”
“Do you really think that we can?” Malachite asked, critically.
“There has to be some way that we can. “ Zoicite resolved. “We can run!”
“You can’t run from Beryl, she’ll keep searching for us.” Malachite stated. “We’ll be the laughing stock of the Negaverse!”
“What is honor in exchange for happiness?” Zoicite demanded.
“You sound like a stupid soap opera!” Malachite cried. “This is reality! Love doesn’t conquer all in real life. You’ve made a stupid move and now we’ll both be killed.”
“Not if we hurry.” Zoicite pleaded. “Please.”
“It is too late!” The two of them turned quickly to see Selenite, the assassin, standing above them, her fist full of knives.
“No!” Zoicite cried.
“I didn’t expect to get to kill two generals!” Selenite mused. “Maybe Beryl will give me extra points.”
“Who is this!?” Malachite demanded, furrowing his brow and sneering up at the 18-year-old.
“Remember!? I told you!!! She’s – “ Zoicite began, but Selenite interrupted her.
“I am your Reaper.” She arced her long neck and looked much like a snake with her narrow eyes. “I come to dispose of and replace you.” The messenger of Queen Beryl’s intent. She doesn’t consider you worth maintaining. Accept your fate so that I may accept your title.”
“I cannot appeal to her majesty.” Malachite said. “But I know that she is watching, and that she can hear what I say. I say to you, Beryl, kill me if you want, but that will not solve your problem. Your daughter is corrupt! She and her husband intend to smite your power underneath theirs and take your kingdom from you. This cat that you have paired me with has been a servant of their revolution and I have been a tool to his design. Do me this justice, and seek out the true culprit in this situation. And may your honor reign.”
“Fancy words, scum, but I will not give up so easy.” Selenite told him.

* * *

In the Negaverse, Beryl had heard all he had said. At first she was furious. “How dare he accuse my daughter of villainy!? I’ve raised her to be devious and cruel like myself, but not to myself! She has more sense than that!!!” Beryl rose and paced her chamber, leaving her window of energy. Her long wavy auburn hair and dusty purple dress trailing behind her. As she paced, the pieces began to come together. “Wait. That cat has double-crossed me. And I’ve never trusted that Kyanite. Why has Chrysoberyl become so interested in the kingdom suddenly?” It made perfect sense for this to be a plot. Too much had happened too fast. “This is an outrage! But it will be dealt with!” A fire burned in her eyes. “My own flesh! Betrayed! She will be punished! She and that Quasar will feel my rage!” She calmed herself a bit. “The will… but later. I will deal with them when I have a spare moment. No one should know what is true. I am the only one who heard what Malachite said. I would be scarred if anyone knew that my own daughter was against me. I’ll smite her in private. Their punishment will be swift and my reputation will remain intact.” She returned to her looking glass. “For now, I will quell my anger by watching that idiot Malachite die.”

* * *

Princess Chrysoberyl exited the training center where her husband had been practicing combat skills. The news she had reported was old, now. But it was new to them. Garth was a target. The assassin was on the planet, Quasar had to go, and h e had to go quickly.
“You realize that once I leave, I can’t come back.” Kyanite had said. “If I live, I won’t be able to help you up here. You will have to carry on on your own.”
She made no reply. She wore her mask-like expression to combat the horrible waves of reality and emotion that where in constant motion inside her.
“Do you think you can do it?” He asked. One glance showed him how she was responding. He dropped his shoulders in disbelief. “Chry, don’t be like this.”
She held on tightly to her act. Her eyes were slate-like and shallow, her face showed no emotion. She tried to move nothing but her chest as she breathed.
Kyanite came over, his tanned face and one deep brown eye pleading. He was being strong for her, but he didn’t want to leave her like this, or have a blank look printed on his mind to secure this moment. He put his large hands on her pale shoulders. She stared, unseeing at his chest. “Chry, I hate to say goodbye. But this is possibly that last time we will ever see each other. I love you, and I don’t want you to break down on me, but please show me yourself.” She didn’t move. “Please, give me a look that I can hold onto until the fall of Beryl, when I can come back to you.”
Still no response. His wife was too afraid of letting go of her act. She was afraid for him. She was afraid of going on alone. Perhaps if she kept on her mask, she would make it all become a dream.
A heaviness rested on Quasar’s heart. What he was afraid of was what he saw before him. This mask. He was afraid of lowing his beloved to this terrible act and giving his universe a queen who was beautiful and powerful, without feelings or compassion, and killing the woman he loved. He leaned down to look into her clouded eyes. “Chrysoberyl. I have to leave, now. But I promise, if there is a way, I’m coming back to you. Please stay true for me.” His blind eye had tears in it, his last seconds were ticking away. They were being wasted. “Please send me off with a kiss. Something to keep me sane without you. Something to remind me why I had left you when we are universes away.”
He gave her his goodbye kiss. She kissed back, but it was weak, and her eyes struggled to remain unfeeling. He withdrew, hung his head, and passed by her. Behind, she could hear a portal opening, then closing. He was gone.
Now, headed down the hall, she was rushing to her chamber to remove her mask and hate herself in private. ‘I didn’t say goodbye.’ She thought. ‘He left so that I can be queen, and I let him go. My plan to follow is worthless. It would undermine everything he is sacrificing. His whole life, all his dreams were just sacrificed for me… And I didn’t say goodbye.’ Her eyes stung with unshed tears. ‘I didn’t do anything…’

~To Be Continued~

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment