Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - 2)The House on Lakeview Drive

A poem by moi

Chapter 2 - 2)The House on Lakeview Drive

Chapter 2 - 2)The House on Lakeview Drive


The House on Lakeview Drive

We live on Lakeview Drive, but we didn't always live here. Before that we lived on Kensington Avenue in Tinley Park. We lived in Homewood before that and before that we lived in a different house in Tinley Park. It's Kensington Avenue that I remember best though. I sometimes miss that house. I miss the painted window bow with the dead, dried up flowers. I miss the prickly mums and the barbed tree next to the driveway that I wouldn't let my parents cut down due to all the birds that lived there. I remember the birch trees on the lawn that you could peel paper from. I remember the huge magnolia tree next to the door, the pear tree with sweet little white flowers which never bore fruit, and I remember the sandbox that became a vast mud puddle anytime it rained. I remember the big pines that got hit by lightning and fell in our backyard. We replaced that space with a shed. I helped Papaw build that shed. I was so proud of all that I accomplished on that shed. I hammered just as many nails as the boys and carried just as much wood, and when it was all put together, Mom and I painted the whole thing until our arms fell off, then we found some spares and painted some more with those. Mom also had a long row of irises that the rabbits would always eat in the spring. Mom loves irises, but we don't have enough land to grow irises here. They wouldn't last very long anyway. But we have a lake, so that'll have to do until we can figure out a good place for a garden. We also have a forest as our front yard, so we have even more trees than we did in Tinley Park. Even so, we don't live on Kensington Avenue anymore.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment