Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - 1) My Name

A series of vignettes by me. An English 3 assingment inspired by The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

Chapter 1 - 1) My Name

Chapter 1 - 1) My Name


My Name

When I was a kid, I hated my name. I always wanted to change my name to Jessica. I thought it was a much prettier name than Ashley. I wanted to keep my middle and last names the same though, Dawn and Riedel. I'm not so harsh on my name now. I remember in sixth grade, we had a program called Accelerated Reader that encouraged kids to read and take short tests on the books to earn extra points. I never saw why they chose to call it Accelerated Reader, since it really didn't accelerate anyone. Everyone shortened the bulky title to AR. It always bugged me that this abbreviation happened to coincide with my initials. Ironically, I was an avid reader and often earned the most AR points in my class. I was never sure whether I thought this amusing or pathetic. Despite this uncanny coincidence, I now love my name. The name Riedel is derived from the German word for either `fame' or `royalty,' which exactly, I'm not sure. My name has belonged to some amazing people. I have, for example, a great-uncle (or something of that sort) buried in Westminster Abbey. Yes, by now I think I love my name.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment