Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Crime Story

Well, ummm....
A bunch of stories that I had to write for English, I think they all have a bit of a "gothic" edge to them.

Chapter 2 - Crime Story

Chapter 2 - Crime Story
Letter from Mina to Lucy

1 June

Dear Lucy
It seems ages since we last saw each other! How are you? Jonathan and I are going to Venice on business for 5 days. We depart on the 6th and arrive back in England on 12th of June. Do you think it would be possible to meet us at London on the 17th?
Sincerest wishes
Mina

Lucy’s Diary

2 June- I received a letter from Mina today. I hear she is going to Venice, how interesting that must be! The people, places and artworks. The list is endless! I shall meet her in London on the 17th, I think. Kaleigh has been acting strangely the past week. I would like to know what is going on in her head! She is very silent nowadays. I must go; George calls me!

Reply from Lucy to Mina

Dear Mina
Things are going nicely, I got a raise. Abraham, who works in the same department as me looked bitterly disappointed and somewhat angry. I shall be delighted to see you on the 17th , I would enjoy seeing you again and I think George would also, although he does not show it. I suppose you also wonder how my family is? Kaleigh is not her usual, happy self; she is very quiet and has been for the past few weeks. George has been doing well in his new job. He fancies he will get a promotion, but I don’t think he works quite hard enough. How do you think Venice will be? Please write when you get there.
Best wishes in your travels
Lucy

Mina’s Diary

6 June- I write this on the airplane. The man in front of me (oh, what a tall, grizzly-looking man he is!) was stopped by the security at the airport. As I was running by I heard one of the staff telling another that he had “an unidentifiable metal object.” They were talking in hushed tones like it was gossip. I shall just write on in the hopes that the above-mentioned man does not catch me writing this. Jonathan and I got stuck in traffic on our way to the airport, which made us just on time. A pale man with a German accent helped us with our bags, however few they were. I suppose he wanted a tip, but there was no time. We ran towards the terminal, which is where I heard about the metal object. The trip so far was nice, but not as good as the adverts say. I am getting drowsy, so I shall stop writing for the present.

Jonathan’s Diary

7 June- we arrived very early in the morning. We got on the gondola to our hotel which (thank goodness!) was quite close. I need some sleep; the plane was too crowded to get any. Tomorrow I have a meeting with the over seas business partners. My suit got crumpled on the way here. This entry is very short indeed!

Mina’s Diary

8 June- Jonathan is at his meeting and will be for another few hours at least. I think I should see what this beautiful city has to offer. I have saved up a lot of money so I will go spend a little bit because after all, what’s money for? I believe that a famous store is having a sale. Off I go!
Later- I bought a pretty little pair of shoes at the above-mentioned store. I think it is called something like Palazzo de Forte. I have not the faintest clue what it means, but the items were nice and would cost your arms and legs if there were not a sale on. After purchasing the shoes I wandered on to the path and (fancy that!) there was the same, grizzly, tall man I saw on the plane! I could see his features for the first time. They looked Greek.
He had a strong, low brow; large nose and black hair. He then noticed me and ran at me with a somewhat deranged look in his eyes but at the same time seemed somewhat polite. He asked me how the trip was and I replied timidly and soon we drew into deeper conversation. At one point he asked where my hotel was, which suddenly reminded me that I needed to get back to my hotel. I arrived there just before Jonathan.
How reassuring was seeing my husband’s large, green eyes and his neat brown hair! I showed him my new shoes, he approved of my choice. I did not tell him of my experience, for he looked tired. I think the time zone is confusing him.

9 June- I am sad that our trip is coming to an end. Two and a half more days until we depart! I met the same man at our hotel but this time he sounded rude and imposing. He looked pale as opposed to the healthy, olive complexion I had seen yesterday. He was smoking. This confused me, but I did not linger long. I must go now.
Later – I went to post the letter and, I could swear the man, Abraham I think, is following me; stalking perhaps, I hear how dangerous that is!


Letter from Mina to Lucy

Venice has been very interesting and scenic so far. I am sad that is drawing to a close. I bought a pair of Italian shoes in a very fancy store. Venice is idyllic and picturesque, or at least it is from a tourist’s point of view. I will tell you all about it when I get back to England.
Miss you
Mina

Lucy’s diary

10 June- I have resumed my old habit of sleepwalking. I have woken up, fully clothed outside on the sidewalk on numerous occasions. Perhaps it is because of Kaleigh. She always gets moody when something bad is going to happen. Thank goodness Mina is coming back! The post is often very slow, but recently I have gotten letters within a day, I am confused; excuse me while I ponder this for a day.
11 June- Mina is most probably on her plane now, I hope she has a safe trip. I hear how safe planes are, but I don’t really believe them. I suppose that is me being cynical again. This is probably the shortest entry in living memory, but my life is quite busy nowadays because I am now expected to work harder due to my raise.
12 June- I hope that Mina arrived safely, I should call her but I cant find my phone, nor my cell phone. This frustrated me terribly but I felt too weak to fuss. I cannot wait until the 17th; I would sure like to hear how Venice is! I would go if I had the money at the moment. I must go back to work, I wouldn’t be writing here if I had not made this a habit.

Mina’s Diary

11 June- Our plane left at midnight, which was incredibly irritating. The plane was also very crowded, which did not allow much sleep. I was thankful that the crowded conditions caused the grizzled man to sit quite far from me. I am too tired to write further. So long and goodnight.
12 June- I was awoken by a stewardess offering me cold coffee, eggs and a hard, dry roll. I devoured them slowly as they could not get any colder. We are landing and I must stop writing now.
16 June- I am eager to see Lucy again, I was too tired to write for the previous 4 days so now I shall write a very long entry: I exited the plane slowly as it was crowded as mentioned earlier. The pilot bade me a goodbye and I left. Baggage was not nearly as simple. I waited approximately 30 minutes for my first and another 10 for my next. I realized I was back from my ‘holiday’. I was so tired that 3 cups of coffee at the nearest cafe could not lift my spirits nor wake me up. How grateful I was for the escalators!
Jonathan drove us back home, how happy I felt when I set my eyes on our front porch!
I unpacked immediately and slept for almost 4 hours until I was woken by a phone call. Jonathan answered, which I was thankful for because I could not talk then. I suddenly thought of Lucy and what I would say to her tomorrow. Jonathan entered the room looking flushed. I must go for the present.
Later- Jonathan drove me to Lucy’s house. I wondered what could not wait till tomorrow; I was greeted by the sight of police and (oh no!) forensic detectives! I later found out that Lucy was... killed. I was and am horrified. A stout, middle-aged man with a slight moustache asked me; “Miss Wilhelmina Winstead?”
“Yes.”
”I have grave news, your friend Lucy has been murdered. Do you have any information?”
With this insensitive and unpolished question I broke into tears.
“She- k-e-pt a –d-di-ar-y...” I sobbed, “and I h-a-v-e s-ome –l-le-t-e-rr-s t-oo.”
If I had not made a habit of pouring my soul into this book I would not be able to put this into here.
17 June- I gathered, with my husband’s help, that the stout man was Lucy’s boss and that he was apparently very, very concerned. Jonathan is looking sick, perhaps it is the stress. I am also not feeling well myself.

Jonathan’s Diary

18 June- Mina and I have been working hard at this mystery, I think you cloud call it. The stress is certainly getting to us. George is grieving at the loss of his late wife and Kaleigh is more solitary than ever. Today we go to the police and (hopefully!) the lawyer’s office.
Later-The only evidence is the diary and the letters along with blood, which so far is found to be Lucy’s. The killer is sly. Very.

George’s Diary

19 June- I am amazed that I can write in here. The police have found DNA of another person. We are one step closer to the trial. Lucy’s estate must be solved. Her will states that her possessions and property must be shared equally between myself, Kaleigh and Mina. We have money for the trial. Finally.

Mina’s Diary

20 June- We go to the laboratory and the autopsy section. Some DNA, in the form of hair, is identified as a foreign man with the same appearance as the one in Venice. The trial day draws nearer. I drive with Jonathan, Kaleigh and George to the lawyer’s office. My husband and Kaleigh wait in the reception and George and I see the lawyer. “Who do you think is responsible?”
“Abraham,” we said unanimously “he worked with Lucy.”
“Why do you think so?”
“DNA.” We replied quickly.
“We have this sorted out, more or less. This Abraham has which motives?”
“He was really bugged when Lucy got her raise.” Was my unpolished reply.
“He seems guilty enough.” Stated the lawyer whom was known to the community as Mr. F. Lee. He was not a particularly dashing or young man but he was a lawyer nonetheless.

We returned to reception and told Kaleigh and Jonathan. I had told Jonathan about Abraham at this point for it was critical. Kaleigh was shocked, her bushy auburn hair nearly stood on end. I cannot write further, for duty and work call me.
24 June- We entered the interrogation room in silence. We saw the man- no, the thing- at the opposite end of the room. ”Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?” asked the guard “Yes,” replied Abraham “With my right hand on the bible.”
The judge asked us to produce evidence and we brought out the diary and letters and told her of the hair.
“What do you say in your defense?” Asked the tall, pale and clever detective.
“I had attempted to protect Lucy but failed. I was far too late to help. But a man was wearing a pair of smart shoes” Replied the accused.
Then the detective asked, “ Did you see the killer?”
“Yes, and what a pudgy fellow he was!” replied Abraham.
“Could you identify him?” asked the detective.
“Maybe. If I saw a photo.”
“Good.”

What happened then was alien to me. Something I could only expect to see on television. The detective showed Abraham numerous photographs of men who fitted his description of a “stout, middle-aged man with a slight moustache” who lived in the area. He recognized one as the killer. “THAT’S LUCY’S BOSS!” exclaimed a very exited George. We left very satisfied and horrified at the same time.

Kaleigh’s Diary

25 June- We talked about Mom’s boss’s murder motives until dad recalled that her boss had been stealing money from the business, which was the most likely answer we got. Maybe he thought that if he killed mom the secret would not spread. He probably gave her a raise as an attempt at a secret bribe. That would explain why Abraham looked so put off when she got the raise.
12 July- I have finally found my diary. The court case is tomorrow. I can’t write, I must help dad, Mrs. Winstead and Mr. Winstead think and tell them my ideas.

George’s Diary

13 July- We entered the courtroom in silence. My late wife’s boss- nay, scum- sat opposite us. The judge seemed a harsh woman, and old.
“Do you promise to tell the truth, the whole and nothing but the truth?” asked the bailiff.
“Yes” said the defendant coolly.
“Where were you on the night of the 15th of June?” asked our lawyer.
“At home.”
“Can you prove it?”
”No, it’s too far back.”
“What about your shoes?”
“What about them?”
“ I hope you don’t mind if I look at his shoes, your honor?” Mr. Lee asked the judge.
“If you must.” Replied the judge.
The whole courtroom was silent. There was indeed blood on his shoes.
“Then why is there no sign of a struggle?!” challenged the defendant.
“She was sleepwalking.” Replied Mina; even though it was out of turn she had ensured our win. Several guards were required to restrain me. We were victorious at last.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment