Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Fishing

Hello. Welcome to the floor

Chapter 1 - Fishing

Chapter 1 - Fishing
Zoe reluctantly walked into the cafe. The place that funded her life. It was a job but nothing more. She just needed something to sustain her everyday life. She used to constantly whine about it years ago. I wished this day would be like that time.
When things were quiet she would send people a lot of messages on Chatbear despite her boss's wishes. Technically she was rebellious, sneaking in glances on her phone here and there. The internet was her drug and she was hooked. Clearly, her boss was lenient. However, when it was busy it was radio silence.
“I was wondering is it normal to send pictures like that in emails?” I had asked her that night. She couldn't even look at her messages this morning? I assume she was busy now as she wasn't responding to any of my messages. Or was she trying to ghost me?
She better not be.
If she was she would be sorry.
I explained last time how I had complete access to her. That wasn't entirely true. I only had partial access. I don't know where she lives. I don't know where she works. I only know the basics. What she does as a career. I don't know as much as I'd like to.
I may have access to her PC. But there isn't really much on there. Zoe only has some stuff there. She mainly uses it for her games and Chatbear But nothing really of significance. Why is she ignoring me again? It's far too long now. I noticed my Chatbear icon pinged.
“I don't know,” Zoe said. I felt a sense of relief wash over me. I would not become another Joel.

“I suppose you wouldn't,” I told her.

“What do you mean by that?” She asked me. The fact she didn't understand what I meant made me uncomfortable.

“You don't seem the type,” I told her

“What type do I seem?” Zoe asked amused. I thought about it for a second.

“Well you seem good,” I said.

“Am I?” Zoe asked.

“Well I guess we hardly know much about each other,” I suppose I was telling half truths. But I really should know more about her. I don't want to fall into the abyss of old friendships.

“What about you? Are you good or evil?” Zoe asked me. I wasn't sure how I felt about the questions. I sat laid down on my bed staring at the question. Was I good or evil?

“I'm Chaotic Neutral,” I said.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Zoe asked

“:)” It's all I could think to respond.

“The police are talking about the black rabbit case at work,” Zoe said.

“Oh, you're a cop?” I joked. I knew that wasn't the case but maybe it would make her smile.

“If only. That would be more interesting than what I actually do,” She said.

“What do you do?” Zoe had told me a while ago about that she had a bad day working at the cafe in the past, but she didn't really go into it. That was a while ago. I wondered if she even remembered mentioning that detail to me.

“I am a waitress. What about you?” Zoe asked.

“:),” I wasn't sure if I should even tell her what I did as a career this early on in our relationship. We would have many years to come for that I didn't want to scare her away. “So what did the cops say?”

“They don't think things will go that far,” Zoe said.

“Who knows? They could be right.” I told her. I feel like she would hate me if she knew how involved I was with things. I hoped I could get her so entwined with me before that side of me was exposed to her. I need to know more about who she is and more specifically where she is.

“The younger cop seemed to think otherwise,” Zoe said.

“What do the cops wear there?” I asked. It was risky but maybe I can at least identify the area she lives in.

“Navy blue mostly,” she said.

“You should send me a picture.” Pictures can speak a thousand words. I would be able to see a lot of details from just one photo.

“Of the cops?” Zoe asked. “I can't just take a photo of them.” I thought about it. Maybe if I got her to take a picture of herself I could potentially see a work uniform.

“Take a selfie from the chin down if you are worried about me seeing your face. Have them next to your left shoulder. No one will know the wiser ;p,” I asked hoping she would comply.

“Why?” Damn. I hoped that I hadn't made her feel awkward. Maybe I just need to give her something in return.

“I'll tell you my career if you do it :)” I suggested “I'm just curious.”

Zoe stopped talking. I felt a pit in my stomach. Had I ruined things?

I needed to get ready for work. I will deal with this later, I told myself. I had my ways and I knew how to look into accounts. But I really wanted to avoid breaching her trust. I put on my white work shirt and selected a gold tie. I tended to wear suits because of my job mostly. It was just more professional. Besides I looked somewhat younger than I was despite my height. I did everything in my power to be taken more seriously. As I tightened my tie I heard the apps ping. I walked over to my phone. I had never felt this anxious.

“There. So what do you do?” Zoe asked. She sent a picture of herself in a cafe. I recognized it instantly. I must have some kind of luck. I looked out my window peering down at the cafe across the road. I felt a combination of warmth and anxiety. She was always this close and I had no idea. She deserved something back for this.

“I'm a penetration tester,” I told her.

“What’s that?” Zoe asked.

“I get paid by companies to find exploits in their systems,” I explained.

“oh, that's interesting,” Zoe said.

“So is your work uniform :)” I instantly regretted saying that. What if she took it as flirting? Was it? “So you do waitress at a coffee shop.”I tried to save face.

“what's wrong with that?” Zoe asked. I sat on my bed. shoot. Was she offended? I had to fix this.

“Nothing really. I have just heard it's hard to make a living there,” I explained. Cafe work tends to be minimum wage. I wondered if she was struggling financially. If I went there I would have to make sure I tipped her. But how much would be too much? I threw myself back onto the bed groaning in frustration. At least I knew where she worked.

“Not that it's any of your business but I make enough to live,” she was definitely mad. What if I had ruined this?

“I don't mean to offend you or anything, Vanilla,” I explained. I sighed and looked back at her picture. I wished she had sent an image of her face. But at least she had sent me something. “Your name is Zoe right?” I sent her hoping for any reaction. Depending on how she responded depended on my next move.


-blkRbt


Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment