Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Change of a Death

just thought id put all the short stories in one place so that i dont confuse myself when i add a new chap to a story

Chapter 1 - Change of a Death

Chapter 1 - Change of a Death
It was late at night. A man was in a surgery room. A man, or a thing. Maybe a machine? Someone in a big white suit. WIth the head covered byy a white hood, and the face by a white mask with black spots for the eyes. The breathing came heavily out of the mask, as he was doing a hard surgery on a man with heart problems. No other doctors wanted to risk the surgery for the man was almost dead already and he had no money, but this man wanted to save as many lives as he could, for as long as the One up there desired him to stay down here in earth. The surgery was done, everything was successful, again. When was the last time he had failed.... He didnt know. He walked out of the surgery room, took out his gloves and appron out. He walked to the coffee machine and pressed some buttons after putting in a coin. The familiars of the patient came too him. They had heard the news. They were in tears and came to thank the doctor. The children of the patient seemed afraid of their father's savior, but again, who wouldnt?
"Thank you doctor Goodheart! Thank you! You were born to be a doctor." said the patient's wife. Doctor Goodheart, when had he become that, thought the doctor to himself as he started to walk toward the waiting room. Born to be a doctor? Maybe thats why he was saved that night? Or was he saved? Maybe he was a different man, maybe it was just another dream, of long ago. He sat in a chair, and rested his hands on his knees. He looked up and leaned back sliding his hands to his legs. Having his head leaned back, he started to breath slower, and closed his eyes.

years ago

A young famous doctor had gone in vacation with his family. He had a beautiful wife and three wonderful children, 2 girls and a boy. They had gone to the beach. The hotel payed them to stay at a hotel 5 stars. They were all having a great time, maybe too great of a time. His wife wanted him to get something out of the car. He gladly went outside to get it, leaving his wife and children in the room. He was young, he was rich, he was married to a beautiful woman and had wonderful children, nothing could go wrong, atleast not then. The got to the car and noticed that he had forgotten the keys, laughing at himselfhe hoped joyfully back to the elevator. He was humming a lilt as he waited for the elevator to come down, but how weird, it was stopping on every floor. He wondered why. The fire alarm had sounded, a sound so big, he could feel his ear drums getting crushed. But he didnt care about his eardrums being crushed, he wondered why his heart and soul felt crushed. He couldnt wait, tears were coming out of his eyes just to think what could have happened, he ran up the stairs, hoping nothing had gone wrong, hoping his family were still fine. He got to the floor of his room, everything was blazing in flames, and everything was hot. He could feel the smoke going into his nostrils and ripping his lungs. He ran to the room ignoring the fire. he got in and heard children crying, they were still alive. Where did the fire come from? He asked himself. IT mattered not, whereever it came from, it was hot enough make the hotel collapse in matter of minutes. He found his wife hugging the children beside the bed. He led them outside. He grabbed the children and told his wife to go first, that he would take the children. His wife hurried outside of the room, getting her celphone out to call her husband's friend, who worked in the fire department. The young doctor put a child in each shoulder and carried the other in his arms. He ran like he had never run before, he ran like more than just his life depended on it, he ran like satan was after him. He got to the lobby, there was no one, everyone else had gotten out already, but it amazed him that his wife could run so fast, she was nowhere to be seen. He got out of the hotel runnning, thankful that nothing had gone wrong. He was even smiling to himself. He found firefighters and ambulances outside. He found his friend, he put the children down and went to his friend.
"I was never happier to see your poor face." mocked him. "Wheres my wife?" he asked his friend, who gave a surprised look.
"She never came out." said his friend with a panicking face. The young doctor couldnt believe the words that came out of his friend's mouth. He ran toward firedepartment truck and pured water on himself and ran into the blazing hotel. The firefighters could not stop him. He ran inside, and looked in everycorner. By the stairs of the 3rd floor was his wife lying down, not moving at all. He ran toward her, removed the burning objects out of the way, and lifted his wife up. He took his wet coat off and put it around his wife's head to protect her hair. Her hair was mroe precious to her than he was. He smiled at the thought and ran outside carrying her. He was almost at the gate when something burning had come down from the upper floor and struck the doctor. He gained consciousness and saw that he was stuck under many burning concrete. He also saw that his wife was not stuck but still unconscious. He tried waking her up, but she didnt move, he could feel the hot concrete burning through his skin. He reached for his wife's cellphone and played a loud ringtone. Two firefighters came runnning toward him hearing the music. He told them to take his wife out to safety, that the hotel was going to collapse any minute. It took both of them to lift her up, and they promised the young doctor that they would come back for him, as they were going out, he heard them get called by other firefighters on the floor below. He knew he had no time to wait for those people. He tried playing the ring tones again and screaming for help. But none came for him this time. He tried to remove the concrete boulders on top of him, but nothing moved except his hands that got burned in the process. He looked toward the stairs, he knew it was the end, he knew he could do nothing, but he was thankful that his family were fine. So much for a 5 star hotel, he laughed and smiled, thinking that he had been to proud of himself lately. He thought it was all fine now, except for one thing. He wanted their children to have a good father, even if it wasnt him. He shed tears for his families for not having a man of the house with them, but smiled at them being fine, and closed his eyes.

"I'm sorry, he has departed. He is in a better place now." said one of the young doctor's friend who was also a doctor. His wife weeped, she wanted to kill herself, she could not live without him, he wanted to see the body. Many doctors were needed to hold her down, and they gave her strong sedatives to calm her down. They required so much drugs to calm her down that she had fainted. The young docotr's body lied on a bed, ready to be taken away and be cremated, for even his internal organs were damaged byy the strong fire, and nothing in him could be used. He was burned to the core, he lacked eyelids, lips, and a nose, for they were burned off. Then a shining man in a white robe came close to him and touched him on the chest and left. The young doctor's chest started trise and fall, his heart started to beat and he was breathing. He got conscious and got up. He had a hard time getting up, for his body didnt moce as he wanted. He couldnt close his eyes for his eyelids were not there. He looked at himself in the arms and saw the burnings and no skin, but felt no pain, he presumed that all his nerve cells were toasted. He wondered if he was in hell, but looked around and recognized the place. His friend came into the room and alost let out a scream. The young doctor tried to calm him down, but not much came from his mouth. He did friendly gestures to calm him down. Then making some of the facial muscle contract, he gestured his friend to come by him. His friend presumed, that his supposed dead freind was trying to smile.
"I, I am, I am a, alive." said the young doctor with a weak and faint voice. "Call, call my wi, wife." said the young doctor with big pauses between words and sometimes in the middle of the words.
"Uh, you are alive, but, but think of your wife. She thinks you are dead, and if we tell her you are alive she would probably be glad, but look at you man, look at you. You wont live for long, i mean, you died already! it has been 4 hours that your heart has stopped, how now are you still there talking to me? And when you do die, your wife will have to go through your death twice!" said his friend trying not to offend his friend. "Look, how about we try to treat you a little and if we are sure you will be fine, then, just then lets tell your wife huh?" the young doctor looked at him with sad eyes, He would have cried but his tear glands were burned.
"This is untreatable."

Many months has passed. The young doctor spent his time studying, looking for a way to expand his living time. He had heard rumors that his wife was richer now that he had died, the government had given her money, for he was a very important person. He spent his times in a bathtub so that his skin would stay wet, and so that we would have water close to him to wet his eyes to do the work of the eyelids he once owned. He knew all about the modern medicines and medical treatments, and he knew that he was untreatable, but maybe, maybe if he studied something else. He was studying about engineering and machinery. He knew he couldnt support himself, but he knew that if he had something else supporting his body, than maybe, just maybe he could live. He didnt care if he became half machine, he cared that he would live. He spent hours, days, weeks, months studying, making, researching, inventing things. Until one day, he had his friends do a surgery on him, he had written and drawn a diagram to show them how and what to do. THe surgery was sucessful. He was now a half machine. He had machines covereing his whole body, and a white mask that kep his face moistened. He put a white hood on to cover the metal surface of his bald head. His friends had told him that he could now be rich, for he had found a way to fuse someone to machines, to become have rbots to let them live, nothing was more impressive than that. But he refused. He didnt want to be famous, he wanted his wife, he wanted his family. He told his friends to take credit for what had just happened, so that they could be famous and rich, he didnt care for fame and money anymore. He got to the phone and tried to call, but the number he tried to call didnt exist anymore. He asked his friends but no one knew. He knew that she was famous, so he looked up on the internet for his own name. He found information about his wife, and found out that she had a coma in the months that he had spent studying, and once she woke up, she had been taken care of by a doctor from a different country, And they had gotten married and were now in their honeymoon. His children were being taken care of by his wife's mother. Reading that, he wanted to cry, but no tears came. Then he wondered what he had done wrong. He sat down and thought. He wondered, and remmebmered that he had been very proud and only did surgeries of rich people and of people he was 100% sure he could be successful, ignoring the dying ones that were poor. He remmembered of how bad he had been, and he remmembered of what he had thought inside the hotel, of not caring if he wasnt with the family, as long as they had a good husband. He had just noticed that he had lied to himself. Then, trying to forget everything, he went to the waiting room. He sat on a couch resting his hands on his knees. He looked up and leaned back sliding his hands to his legs. Having his head leaned back, he started to breath slower, and closed his eyes.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Zenith on August 28, 2008, 6:37:18 AM

Zenith on
ZenithThis is very cool! I see some parellels to New Heart, but this is better! Why dont you work on this a little more and make like series of them? Or would that defeat the whole point?