Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Chapter Two

The epic story of Hero and his quest to define true power.

Chapter 3 - Chapter Two

Chapter 3 - Chapter Two
Chapter Two
--------------------
Enter Kent: I'm on salary, you know!
--------------------

(Ross is asleep in his bed. He is grasping his sword. It is half the size of Ross himself. The sword is worn, chipped in numerous places, and covered in dirt. However, it is obvious that someone took special care to sharpen the blade. It is razor sharp. At the hilt of the blade is an engraving. The words "Training Sword" can barely be seen under the layer of dirt. A tall man enters the room. He has dark, green hair, and is dressing in a blue robe with golden etching. His hair is combed back. He backhands Ross hard across the face.)

???:
Get up boy. I'm not paid by the hour.

Ross:
Huh?

(Ross rests his sword on the side of his bed. He yawns, then gets up and begins to stretch.)

???:
You heard me right. I have other clients, you know.

Ross:
You sure are harsh for an old man, you know.

???:
Are you mocking me?

Ross:
You know, I'm not too sure what you are getting at.

???:
I have no time to be playing any juvenile games with you.

(The man begins to walk in circles around Ross's room, taking an occasional stop to make a comment.)

Ross:
You know, I think you are right.

(He stops stretching.)

???:
I can't believe you are his son.

Ross:
Why? Because I am not enjoying this?

???:
I'll make sure I whip you into good shape.

Ross:
I'm sure you will.

???:
Sarcasm is an epidemic amongst the youth.

Ross:
You are harsh with me yet you haven't even given me your name. That isn't very proper.

(The man stops and clears his throat. Both of them are now facing each other. The atmosphere inside the room begins to thicken, like a hot, humid, summer day. The sun begins to rise. It can clearly be seen from the window inside the room.)

Kent:
You are not exactly noble yourself. My name is Kent. I am in charge of training promising cadets in the ways of arcane combat, but I now see you are not exactly "promising".

Ross:
You sure are old. I bet you even trained my father.

Kent:
Yes, as a matter of fact, I did. He was a very skillful child. At the age of nine he surpassed me.

Ross:
Which goes to show how skillful you are.

Kent:
THAT IS ENOUGH! I was not summoned here to debate with a mere child. Training begins now. Get dressed, and make sure you bring some "durable" clothing. We are going on a little hiking trip to the Felled Woods. There, your peers await us.

Ross:
You mean, I am going to work with other students?

Kent:
Yes, I train numerous pupils at once. I find it to be more "efficient" to do it that way. I will wait for you in front of the forest. Do not keep me waiting.

(Kent leaves the room)

Ross:
Pops, why did you pick this weirdo out of all the teachers in this country?

(A gentle woman enters the room. She is short, barely bigger than Ross. She has long, light brown hair and is wearing a snow-white gown. She has soft, ocean blue eyes. The woman sneaks up behind Ross and gives him a hug. A tear lingers at the corner of her eye.)

???:
What would you like to eat today?

Ross:
Ma, I am not hungry. Why do you have to baby me so?

Meryl:
Because you are my son and my strong little warrior.

Ross:
Shouldn't you be looking after Guy?

Meryl:
He is at the academy. He says he wants to learn how to use a sword, just like his big brother.

Ross:
...

(She rests her head on his shoulder)

Meryl:
Spend some time with him every now and then. He truly does look up to you. And spend some time with me. I don't want you to rush yourself off into this war. Enjoy your family while you are here.

Ross:
Pancakes.

Meryl:
Pancakes?

(She releases him from her arms.)

Ross:
That is what I want for breakfast. Some milk too.

Meryl:
I see. Now probably isn't a good time to lecture you about this. You need to train, after all. And you can't train on an empty stomach, now can you?

Ross:
Sometimes I think you are the only one that understands me, mom.

Meryl:
I know you better than I know myself. After all, I am your mother.

Ross:
I love you, mom.

Meryl:
I love you too.

(She leaves the room. Ross sits on his bed and grasps his sword. He picks it off the ground with one hand and begins to stare at the engraving. After a long pause, he rests the sword on the bed. He sighs then starts to prepare for the big day.)

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment