Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Dear Diary and Torturing Jobs

A sinful Goddess is shrunken into an infant and has her memories erased. She is forced to live a life on Earth among the humans, until she has proven she has mended her evil heart. OCxMarik. Contains Mild Language

Chapter 3 - Dear Diary and Torturing Jobs

Chapter 3 - Dear Diary and Torturing Jobs
Nine years later

Clings and clangs were heard from the small stone kitchen as Odion made a delicious breakfast for his adoptive family. Once he’d finished he set up the dining table for their meal. He lit four small candles and rested them on the table in a row. Their shadows flickered and danced up on the table’s cool wooden surface.
Once the table was set he made his way through the tomb’s corridors notifying everyone of their awaiting meal. His shadow followed along behind him, grown to almost twice his size as it trailed him down the halls. The source of light, creating his shadow, was emitted from the burning flames that hung along the cool stone walls.
“Master Ishtar, breakfast is ready” Odion spoke lightly as he tapped on the man’s door. He heard a grumble, confirming that the man understood. That was usually the most recognition Odion would receive from his Master. He then wandered further down the hushed, ominous corridors.
Meanwhile, nine year old Carmen Setenhet lay on her stomach upon her small hard surfaced bed, expressing her feelings within her secretive diary. Ishizu had given her this diary for her last birthday, almost eleven months previously. She hadn’t written anything in the small book because she couldn’t think of what to say, and she couldn’t be bothered, however, she had finally decided to give it a go.

Dear Diary – November the Twenty Third

I’m sorry that I haven’t written in you. However, I’m now feeling motivated and also rather bored, so I thought I’d give this diary thing a go. Maybe it will wash away the troubles I’ve faced, sealing them within an unreachable den, never to be reminisced again. I suppose you’re wondering why I am upset.
Well, I’ve been more poignant than usual as of late, because, lately, Master Ishtar has become a lot more malicious than usual, and has pointed his livid emotions towards Odion and myself. Sometimes I yearn that someday, he would disappear forever, taking with him every inch of pain he’s bestowed upon us, or maybe we could escape from this painful prison, dare I say raging hell, that he has inflicted upon our inauspicious lives. What have we done to make him hate us? Abominate us even? Whenever I find the courage to stand up to him, he punishes me, yet I can never deny the laughter I welcome whenever a smirk is swept from his aged face by one of my remarks, or a vein pulses intently as anger builds up inside him. It is rather amusing.
On another note, on my tenth birthday, apparently I’m going to start learning about health. Wonder what interesting topics there are in health? Ishizu said it is of a great importance that I learn of the human body, mind and emotions. Well, I guess learning never hurts. She also said I’m going to learn about the human reproduction system. I have one word to that. Ugh! Perhaps I’ll learn how many shades of red one can turn.
Perhaps I should tell you a bit about myself, now that my predicaments are clear.
I am Carmen Setenhet. I am nine years and eleven months old today, as it is the twenty third of November if I am correct, which I usually am when it comes to dates. My last name is Setenhet because my adoptive mother named me after her mother. This information may not be accurate as it came from none other, than the sadistic Master Ishtar, who lies on a regular basis.
I don’t have a favourite food, although Odion’s cooking is more than satisfactory.
My favourite colour would have to be white, as it’s so pure and innocent.
I’m a fun loving girl, with pitch black medium length hair, of which I cut myself. Go me! I also have deep aqua eyes. I wonder what my parents look like. Will I ever know? Probably not.
I may seem like a serious person as I talk with a long list of descriptive vocabulary, however, I am usually joking around with Odion or singing, dancing and drawing funny looking pictures in my room. These pictures consist of humans with huge heads as well as snakes and other animals I’ve read about. I usually stand up for what I believe in, however, I can’t seem to find the courage needed to put Master Ishtar in his place. If you’re wondering why I call him Master Ishtar it’s because I have no idea what so ever of his birth name. I DO NOT worship or even respect that egotistical psychopath in any way, shape or form!

Well, I have probably written enough, right?

Thanks for listening Dear Diary!

Yours sincerely,

Carmen Setenhet

Carmen closed the purple, hard covered book, locking it securely and placing it under her crème coloured pillow. She smiled as she lay on her back resting her hands behind her head. She slowly closed her aqua eyes, relaxing on her hard mattress, of which was all too familiar to her. She ruffled her silken hair with a tanned, feminine hand, enjoying the silence her room presented.
A few minutes slowly passed by, before she heard a faint knock, yet loud enough for her sensitive ears to pick up.
“Carmen, breakfast is ready” Carmen heard the tanned teenager announce from beyond her wooden door. “Oh and please present yourself appropriately today. Master Ishtar didn’t take it too lightly when you wore your tee shirt to breakfast” he chuckled.
“Hey, that shirt almost reaches my knees” she joked with a large grin as she elevated herself into a sitting position upon her bed. Master Ishtar hated when clothes didn’t cover the arms and legs, so Carmen had worn her sleeping garment simply to annoy him.
“Just present yourself properly this time” he laughed emphasizing the word properly.
“Okay then. I shall be there in ten minutes, okay?”
“Sure” he replied as she heard his fast-paced steps echo down the corridors, toward the kitchen.
Minutes later found her dressed and well presented, with her long, smooth black tresses caressing her small body. She wore a traditional Egyptian outfit, much like Ishizu’s. It was a dull crème coloured dress that was loose around her lower arms, but hugged her torso, although slight creases were present throughout the dress, due to Carmen’s laziness when folding her clothes. Kohl stuck carefully to her skin as it flicked away from her eyes in one small straight line. She didn’t wear a lot of kohl as she found it hard to apply the sticky make-up in such a complicated fashion. She examined herself in her small, dusty bathroom mirror, and when satisfied with her appearance, made her way to the dining room.
As she strode down the familiar track to the dining room she passed Marik’s door, wide open. Deciding that she might as well walk with him to breakfast she tapped on the open door.
“Ohm. Marik? Are you in here?” she questioned hesitantly. She didn’t know Marik very well as he was either eating, sleeping or in his room studying, giving her no time to interact with the enigmatic boy. He did, however, take a liking to Odion, as did she. Odion was like a brother to her. They both had the same bewildering questions willing to be answered about their past, before they were in this isolated tomb. He had always comforted her and made her laugh when she was down. As she ceased her reminiscing she repeated her knock, only a little louder.
“Marik?” she repeated confused. His candle flickered and his bed wasn’t made, so where was he?
As she doubtfully left his cool room she heard a faint hum from beyond the entry, Carmen assumed to be the bathroom.
A slight blush grazed her cheek. ‘Marik must be in the bathroom’ she thought diffidently as she made her way towards the door. As she examined his commonly sized room her eyes met a large desk smothered by scrolls and scrolls of papyruses. “Woah, how boring is that?” she muttered, feeling queasy simply from the sight of so many dreary papyruses. ‘I feel somewhat sorry for him, just having to read all that. I mean, the mahogany is barely visible because of the amount of scrolls’ she sighed deeply. She had now made her way towards the bathroom door. “Hmm...uh? Marik?” she spoke timidly as she lightly tapped on the poorly carved wooden door.
“Yes? What is it?” a faint, relaxed voice questioned from beyond the door.
“Well, I noticed your bedroom door was opened and I was wondering if you wanted to join me on the way to breakfast, but if you’re busy then take your time” she insisted swiftly, “I know I wouldn’t want to be rushed out of nice, warm bath” she giggled lightly.
“Oh, sure. Is that Carmen?” he questioned, not seeming to mind the interruption.
“Yeah, so, should I wait for you then?” she was astonished that he knew her name, as they had never even talked before, other than when Carmen was sent to give Marik a message from Odion or Master Ishtar.
“Yes, I shall be right out.”
“Okay then” Carmen smiled as she sat down on his bed, quickly tidying it as she did so, she bagan to entertain herself by lightly bouncing on the vastly springy bed.
After about five minutes Marik’s bathroom door opened, revealing the platinum haired, amethyst eyed boy, his bronze skin glistened softly due to his soothing bath. He wore a light crème robe, identical to Odion’s and his fathers.
“Shall we go then?” he smiled lightly.
“Sure” Carmen returned the smile as they made their way down the hall towards the dining room.
“So, you must be busy will all those scrolls” Carmen attempted to make conversation with the young boy.
“Yes, I have to study for the Tomb Keeper’s Initatiion” he replied bitterly, showing his hatred towards the Ishtar clan’s tradition.
“So, I take it you don’t want to be a Tomb Keeper” she asked sympathetically. Poor boy.
“No, I loathe it. My father just won’t understa-”
“Won’t find it in his heart to accept your wishes” she interrupted as loathing built up inside her. How she detested that poor excuse for a man, as well as her ill tempered trait.
“What?” Marik questioned shocked.
“I said he won’t-” she began rather annoyed, not at Marik, but at the repulsive elder Ishtar.
“I know what you said. I’m simply shocked that you would say such a thing. I mean, he raised you!” Marik interjected confusedly.
Carmen scoffed. “Your father didn’t raise me. Odion did. Odion basically raised you too. The only reason your father wanted another ch-” she cut her retort short. She didn’t want to either hurt, or anger Marik. If he was told that his father only had him because of the initiation and that he couldn’t escape it then he’d probably never like her.
“What?!” Marik half questioned, half commanded.
“Never mind” she ended as they entered the Dining Room.
“You’re late, Carmen” Master Ishtar stated from his large seat at the head of the large wooden table.
Judging by white candles, that had melted and re-dried, she was indeed late.
“I’m late too father, sorry” Marik apologized as he made his way towards a seat next to Ishizu.
“Yeah, sorry” Carmen mumbled irritably.
“Excuse me. Speak properly in my presence mutt” he commanded, narrowing his eyes on the fuming girl.
Did he have to scold and insult her whenever she breathed!?
“Yes, I am very sorry, Master Ishtar” she replied in the most tenacious voice she could conjure. Unbeknown to Carmen’s attention, as well as anyone else’s, her pearl altered into the slightest tinge of grey, due to her stubborn remark. Although it was towards a sinful man, it could still affect her future attitude and personality, in a tiny manner.
Ishizu gasped, where as Marik began eating his food, ignoring the girl who had insulted his father, a matter of minutes ago and was doing so once again.
“Ten whips!” he shouted ferociously, rising from his cushiony chair.
“Uhh...again?” she mumbled drooping her posture, as if she was tiresome of whips.
“Hmm...I do know how much you loathe cleaning. Perhaps a day’s cleaning will see to you learning some respect” he pondered raising a large, wrinkled hand to his chin, of which was hidden by his whitish grey beard.
“What!” She was shocked. He was always up for a good whip. “Damn it” she muttered, as her eyes focused on the snickering Marik. “What are you laughing at?” she shouted angrily. She really hated jobs, as she would rather commit something recreational, or, well, fun.
“Five days worth, for speaking towards Marik in such an insulting manner. It’s insulting enough coming from your tongue, to my ears” he corrected irritably, “now get to it you wretched wench. Odion, supply her with a list of jobs now, starting with cleaning the table.”
“What about breakfast?” she questioned in her annoyed, high pitched tone.
“You’re not worth the food”
Carmen rolled her eyes. “Fine. I wasn’t very famished anyway” she spoke matter-of-factly, as she grabbed his and Ishizu’s dishes. She glanced at Ishizu, who gifted her with a sympathetic smile. She nodded, in acceptance. She then turned her gaze towards Marik, curious as to what he would do. His actions repeated Ishizu’s, causing Carmen to smile brightly.

For the remainder of the day, Carmen found herself washing robes and dishes, removing cobwebs and cleaning a few of the many rooms lined along the corridors of the humungous tomb. To satisfy her boredom she would shout noises and giggle at the echoes they conjured. That’s how irked she was. Master Ishtar would question her on her wrong doings and allow her a plate of leftovers from dinner, before she would retire to bed.
On the last day despite Carmen’s pleading and assurance that she had learnt her lesson, the elder Ishtar forced her to clean the bathrooms, wash more robes and rearrange and restack every book in the vast tomb’s colossal library from A to Z.
She was now up to the library related task. In her boredom she decided to whistle casual tunes that came to mind.
“Okay. ‘Pharaohs of Our Past’, that would beee...here!” she stated as enthusiastically as possible at the time, as she placed the book under ‘P’ in the history section. Sighing, she trailed back to the table of which contained the many books she needed to restack.
“Well, only three hundred books left to go” she stated in sarcastic joy.
“Very zealous, aren’t we?” came the amused voice of the platinum haired boy.
Carmen laughed. “I just loooove books!” she stated in fake enthusiasm, hugging one in as if she were comforting the thick manuscript.
It was now his turn to laugh. “Need some help?”
“Why are you offering to help?” Carmen asked rather astonished.
“Well, it was, to a certain extent, my own doing” he replied grabbing a five thin texts.
“What if your father found out?”
“He won’t. He’s in his room doing Ra knows what”
“Oh. Okay. Well, I guess I could use some extra hands. Thanks for this” she smiled as they both began to stack the informational books in their correct localities, as light conversation began to mingle between the duo.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment