Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - The Tomb Keeper's Initiation

A sinful Goddess is shrunken into an infant and has her memories erased. She is forced to live a life on Earth among the humans, until she has proven she has mended her evil heart. OCxMarik. Contains Mild Language

Chapter 4 - The Tomb Keeper's Initiation

Chapter 4 - The Tomb Keeper's Initiation
It all took off from those few eventful days. Carmen and Marik began to talk a lot more, taking interest in each other’s hobbies, although, for Carmen, it was rather difficult.
“How can you read all this? Seriously. I’m almost asleep and I’m on the first page”
“It’s my duty to read this, and it does my father proud” Marik replied, not daring to remove his vision from the long crème scroll clutched in his tan hands. It was as if his face was glued to the tiresome scroll.
“Right” she replied collapsing on his springy bed, “I forgot.” She sighed.
“Well, I-I only have five days until the Initiation" he stuttered. Carmen could sense an air of fear, drifting around the nine year old boy. Distinguishing individual’s emotions was a trait Carmen praised, as it gifted her with an understanding of the character she was interpreting.
Carmen sighed. “I thought Odion was going to enquire with Master Ishtar, concerning the matter. He wants to experience the ceremony in your place, does he not?” she questioned laying on Marik’s bed, on her back, as she rested her head on her bare bronze arms. She was wearing her long top, as she was visiting her recent, and first best friend, past her bedtime. She had frequently done this, since they had begun to converse, as it was usually the only time the pair could interact, without being distracted with jobs, punishments, or in Marik’s case, studying.
“He did. I don’t know if he’ll actually question father in the matter though” he replied sorrowfully.
“Well, how about I ask Odion tonight if he could confront your father first thing, tomorrow morning?” Carmen smiled weakly as she elevated herself to a sitting position on Marik’s soft, cosy bed.

“Please Master, let me bare the Ancient Scriptures on my back, in Marik’s place” Carmen heard Odion’s pleads through the cool wooden door.
‘Please, please, please Master Ishtar. Accept Odion’s request’ Carmen begged amongst her thoughts.
“No, The Ishtar’s sacred duty can only be placed to a true heir” Master Ishtar replied sternly, anger began to bubble within his tone, as well as the atmosphere around him. Carmen could sense its unwelcomed presence as her body stiffened and her hands began to quiver. ‘Oh no!'
“But Marik is frightened, Master. Why should he take the Initiation reluctantly, when I would take it willingly? I promise to uphold the Ishtar clans sacred duties, Master” he beseeched honestly, will all due respect to youthful Marik. Carmen could picture the distressing scene. She pictured Odion stooping low against the chilly stone floor, as Master Ishtar towered over him with reluctant inferno irises.
“Idiot! You’re nothing more than a petty servant. Never think of yourself as my son!” he commanded as you heard a groan escape from who you presumed to be Odion, as a clang rippled faintly across the cool stone chamber, barely perceived through the thin timber door. That clang being a thrown metal plate that held a candle. “Marik shall receive the Tomb keeper’s Initiation, and if you speak another word of it I shall cut out your tongue, you pathetic whelp!” he loathed from within the stone chamber.
Footsteps were heard leading towards the door, of which Carmen was stationed next to, causing her to retreat at a swift, discrete pace.

Carmen ran as fast as she could down the dimly lit corridors as her weeps echoed solemnly. She wiped her eyes watching her shadow trail behind her like a haunting ghost. Her destination was her peaceful room, where she could hopefully find comfort and silence, so she could think things through. How could she help her best friend? She had no place in this daunting tomb.
“Carmen?” a young boy questioned. “Carmen, what’s wrong?” Marik shouted after her, as he pursued the weeping aqua eyed girl. His calls went unnoticed, until she felt a sudden tug on her shoulders, causing her to fall back into a hard chest. She pulled herself into Marik's embrace, finding comfort in her dear friends grasp. “What’s wrong, Carmen?” he looked down at the girl, who was only inches shorter than himself, however, due to her cries against his chest, he was somewhat taller than her at the present time.
“M-Marik. Odion, he-he asked your father, but he just...wouldn’t listen!” she sobbed weakly.
Marik tensed at her words. “He...said no?” he queried slowly. He wanted to hear the exact words, before his hopes of one day being free, were crushed.
“Yes, in four days you’ll receive the initiation” she nodded simultaneous to her answer.
Tears formed in his eyes, as the duo comforted each other in the gloomy corridors that seemed dimmer than usual. Carmen’s pearl necklace, once again, turned a slightly darker shade of grey.

Those four days slowly skulked by, as the tomb held an eerie darkness, building higher and higher as the twenty third crept closer.
“Odion, please, I don’t want to be a Tomb keeper! Odion please, stop them” Marik cried as floods of tears caressed his bronze cheeks. “Carmen, help me, please!” he pleaded, turning his gaze towards the black haired girl. Carmen simply nodded and gifted Marik with an encouraging smile telling him that everything would be okay. He didn’t take notice of this attempted comfort as two robed men dragged him into a mysterious chamber, of which the Initiation would take place.
Carmen turned her gaze to Odion, frowning at her older brother, whose gaze was directed at the bare, stone floor.
The thick wooden doors closed with a dull thud that seemed to echo through the thick atmosphere of fright and dejection. Anguish began to bubble inside Carmen, as she balled her soft bronze fists.
“You could have at least given him some sign of reassurance” she barked venomously, as she narrowed her piercing aqua eyes on the anguished teenager, situated opposite her in the icy stone corridor.
“Sorry Carmen. But I have to go” he stated as he distressingly made his way down the dimly lit hall. The fiery torches emitted peacefully along the granite walls.
“Where are you going? Are you escaping my accurate contradiction?”
“No, Carmen. I’m performing my own ritual, in order to prove to Marik that he’s not alone” he replied gloomily.
“Oh. I’m sorry, Odion” she apologized solemnly.
“There is no need to apologize, Carmen. Behave, and don’t anger Master Ishtar” he commanded, looking back at the anguished girl.
“Wait, what is that supposed to mean?”
“Nothing” he swiftly stated, as his tone’s pace concurred to his walking rapidity.
Carmen grunted. Why would she get into trouble, when Master Ishtar was in the Initiation? Unless, he thought she’d seek to impede the ceremony. That’s something she wouldn’t do, even if she tried, Master Ishtar thought himself too superior to think of any being but him, so no good would come of her attempts, only more pain and suffering.
Carmen sighed, wishing her adoptive family could one day escape that man’s loathing wrath.
She fumed with impending rage as Marik’s begs and screams resonated through the humungous tomb. His father bared no sympathy for the deprived amethyst eyed boy.
As rage peaked she slammed her balled fist hard against the stone wall positioned next to her, as her own tormented screams intertwined with her distressed friend’s. She wished she hadn’t as pain pierced her flesh, travelling up her arm, causing her to wince in pain. Her sight pointed downwards, as her view narrowed on her precious pearl necklace. Her aqua irises widened as it darkened to a dark grey right before her eyes. She swiftly grabbed the delicate piece of jewellery, she had owned since before she had even resided in this gloomy, painful crypt, raising it to eye level.
“What in Ra’s name is this?” she queried herself, anxiety was evident in her gentle, yet assertive voice.

She quickly made her way down the corridors, towards her room, resting her pearl necklace upon her bronze skinned neck.
She slammed open her poorly cared for wooden door, shutting it with simultaneous rage to her opening the object, before she began to pace about her dwelling. Her mind raced as many questions were evident dashing about her thoughts. What would happen to Marik? Would the Initiation affect Marik deeply? What did Odion mean by saying he was going to perform his own ritual? And why did her pearl necklace just change colour right before her eyes? She decided to express these feelings in her purple covered book.

Dear Diary – December Twenty Third

It’s been a month since I last wrote in your pages. I apologise for abandoning you again. I’ve decided upon writing in you when I feel anguished and distressed, as I feel somewhat at ease after I have expressed my feelings within you.
Today, it is not only mine, and Marik’s birthday, but also the tomb keeper’s Initiation. Marik is currently undergoing this ritual. We have recently become best friends and so I can’t help but feeling deeply sorrowed by Marik’s pain and suffering. He told me what happened in the Initiation, well, I begged him to tell me. What happens is that, on the chosen son’s tenth birthday, the heir has the Pharaoh’s memory carved into his back, by means of a heated blade. Salt is placed upon the deep cuts, causing a fiery sensation upon the bearers back, as well as the fresh cuts to turn into black scars, sort of like a tattoo. The Initiation is agonizingly painful. Can you see why I’m anguished?
I only hope that Marik won’t be deeply affected by this, not that I can blame him if he is. I know he will be enraged and sorrowful, due to his fresh experiences, but I don’t want him to change.
I not only think of him as a friend, but I believe I feel something else for him too. Maybe a crush?
Odion also said that he was going to perform his own ritual, to prove to Marik that he’s not alone. Perhaps I should do this too. Marik needs all the reassurance we can offer. I shall do this now, dear diary.

Thank you for listening!

Yours sincerely,

Carmen Setenhet

“Okay, Marik, I’m performing my own ritual” she stated firmly, closing the hard covered diary.
She made her way towards Odion’s room; determination glistened within her aqua eyes.
She knocked on the poorly carved timber door, “Odion, are you there?” she questioned, focus and assurance evident in her voice.
“Yes, Carmen. What is it?” came Odion’s surprised tone. Why was Carmen there?
“I wish to perform my own ritual" she stated, praying he would fulfil her wish.
“Absolutely not! Carmen, you are not to scar yourself with-”
“You performed your own ritual in order to prove to Marik he’s not alone. Why should I be any different?” she interrupted strongly. She would receive her wish, even if she had to perform the ritual herself. “I wish to prove to Marik that I pledge my loyalty and faith to him. He’s my best friend!” she stated, as a warm tear caressed her slightly scarlet cheek.
“But Carmen, I bare this scar for the rest of my life. Do you really want to do the same?”
“Yes! I do”
Odion sighed, opening his door, as light slowly radiated the dim corridor of which Carmen stood, due to the many candles lit in Odion’s dwelling.
“Woah!” she squinted as she strode into his luminous room. She then gazed at her elder adoptive brother. “Woaaah...” she repeated, as she gawked at the deeply tanned teenager. The right side of his face was bandaged in thin white material. “You performed the ritual on your face?” she gasped.
“Yes, now, what do you want me to carve on you and where do you want me to carve it?”
“The back, that is where Marik’s is, right?”
“Yes”
“Then I wish for you to carve it on my back” she stated, explaining to Odion what to engrave.
He agreed regrettably, as he began the agonizing ritual.

“Marik?” Odion questioned as he tapped on Marik’s cool timber door.
“What is it?” Marik replied, resentment palpable in his voice.
Odion, followed by Carmen, entered the tortured boy’s room. Marik was lying on his bed, on his stomach, of which was covered in freshly placed bandages.
“My life has changed forever” Marik slowly stated, stricken with grief.
“Yes, you’re a tomb keeper now” Odion replied worryingly.
“Go!” He commanded, raising his arm towards the gaping door, however, pain shot swiftly through his healing torso causing him to wince in agony. “I’m sorry” he apologized, “I feel so alone. Why should I have to pledge my life to some Pharaoh?!” he queried raising himself slightly, as he stared at the duo standing before him.
Odion raised his hooded face, “As you know, I’m forbidden to join this clan so I-” he paused for a second.
“Go on” Marik commanded impatiently.
“I performed my own ritual” he continued, as he undid the bandages to reveal scriptures on the right side of his bronze skinned face, “I hope this mark proves my loyalty to your family, sir. You’re not alone” he reassured in his calm, soothing voice. Odion then turned to Carmen, nodding as he did so.
“I also performed my own ritual, thanks to Odion” she stated, lifting her nightgown, and untying her own bandages, revealing her nauseating scars, which were written neatly in ancient hieroglyphics.
“I pledge my loyalty to Master Marik Ishtar. May he know he’s never alone in these dark and desolated times, and always trust in me when all faith seems to have diminished and emaciated” Marik read from the scars on her bronze skinned back. “Thank you. Both of you” he gratified, as reassurance slowly seeped into his scarred heart, easing the pulsing pain from his torso, and keeping the darkness at bay, but not for long.

Months later found Carmen Setenhet trailing down the stone halls of the desolated tomb, as she strode towards Marik’s room.
“Marik? Are you in there?” she queried, tapping lightly against his timber door.
“Come in, Carmen” came Marik’s faint voice from beyond the cool, carved door.
“How are you?” she questioned, opening the door, and closing it lightly behind her, so that she wouldn’t wake the eldest Ishtar, as she was forbidden to interact with Marik, because, according to Marik's father, she was a mere slave.
“I’m fine. I was just thinking about the outside world” he replied solemnly. “Don’t you ever wonder what it’s like up there? Don’t you ever wish to see the sun? To feel its warm rays against your skin?” he questioned dreamily.
“All the time” she smiled, situating herself at the end of his bed.
“We should go up there Carmen!” he stated, hope glistened in his innocent amethyst orbs.
“But Marik, we can’t go up there. Your father wouldn’t-”
“He wouldn’t even know we were gone” he interrupted, “We could go up there right now, while he’s sleeping, and be back before he awakens” he schemed, gazing, pleadingly into her aqua irises.
“What are you two talking about?” Ishizu questioned curiously, as Odion and herself entered the dimly lit room.
“I’m going!” Marik stated towards Carmen, as determination gleamed within his begging gaze.
“Going where?” Odion queried, as he sat on a small wooden chair next to Marik’s bed. Ishizu followed suit.
“To the outside world” he answered slightly smiling, simply at the thought of it.
“No!” Ishizu spoke firmly.
Marik leaned towards his older sibling, “Please, sister, you promised we would one day visit the outside world. Why can’t we go now? I want to see the outside world, and father’s asleep. He won’t even know we’re gone” he pleaded enthusiastically.
Ishizu sighed. “If father finds out we’ll both be in big trouble. Don’t you know the code of the Tomb Keepers? The outside world’s off limits to us” she informed Marik, sadness present in her dark blue orbs.
“Relax, sis. Odion will cover for us and father won’t suspect a thing” he replied smiling, he then turned to Odion, “Right Odion?”
Odion nodded persuasively, as he smiled reassuringly at doubtful Ishizu.
“Ishizu, come on. I want to live like a normal person for once. Please sis. No one will ever know” he assured her, as he placed a bronze hand atop his sister’s. Ishizu’s eyes widened in surprise and frustration. What should she do? “Oh come on. Just this one time Ishizu. Aren’t you a little curious?”
“Ishizu, we promise we’ll take care of everything” Carmen assured her, as she smiled weakly at the contemplative girl.
“Yes, Miss Ishizu. It is my duty to make sure Master Marik is safe” Odion continued, encouragement evident in his soft tone.
“I don’t know” she replied, confused.
“Why not? Just for a little while” he replied with softened eyes.
Ishizu replaced her right hand atop Marik’s, “Okay Marik. If it’s that important to you” she smiled with enthusiasm.
“Thank you sis!” he beamed as he hugged her tightly.
“But promise me this. After one hour we’ll return to the tomb and never speak of this again”
“I promise!”
“I knew you’d soften up, Ishizu” Carmen grinned.
“Carmen. Aren’t you coming?” Marik asked hopingly, as he ended the hug.
“Sorry Marik. I’m going to stay here with Odion. We need to make sure you’re not discovered.”
“Oh. I guess”
“Quickly Marik. Let’s go” Ishizu stated, striding from her seat to the wooden door, of which was standing ajar.
“Right” he nodded, as he excitedly followed her from the room, leaving Odion and Carmen beaming at each other. Marik is finally going to see the outside world!

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment