Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - friends lost and found

This is a story I wrote some time ago... It takes elements of my favourite stories and creates a new story with it... Its not complete but I will try to add more as ideas come to me... so if you have ideas that could add to my story please let me kno

Chapter 6 - friends lost and found

Chapter 6 - friends lost and found


The soft songs of women awaked Korran. Although he could not see them, he could hear their voices retelling the end of the land of Legend and its disappearance. Those stories, he had heard before, on those nights long ago when his aunt taken by grief, told him of his uncle. The softness of those lyrics, the sorrow of the loss of such a beautiful land touched him more then usual. Looking around he saw that he was lying on a soft bed of moss and grass, surrounded by flowers. Looking at the ceiling, he saw that the bed seemed to be part of a beautiful willow tree. Little fairies flew between the branches, which were intertwined in a pattern of moons and antlers, looking down at him. One of them saw he was awake and flew away.



The little lights continued their strange dances and, as Korran watched them, memories of the past events began flowing back to him: The fire, the hounds, and the smell of the burning village. It was too much. He sat up and called out: “Orion! Aunt Lyra!” But only the darkness and silence responded, the fairies having flown away. It was not long before a dim light appeared at he end of the bed and made its way towards him. A beautiful lady dressed in a pale green robe appeared in the light. As he looked at her, he heard her voice ringing in his head, like crystal bells:



“Welcome to my land, dragon child. Do not worry for your friend Orion,

he has gone to find food. My friends the salamanders are looking out for him.

They are part of his kin and will care for him. Your aunt rests nearby, do not

worry she is fine.”



Although her words meant to soothe him, there was something in her voice that made Korran uneasy. He again heard the song and a longing to see his aunt, to hold her again, came over him and he leaped from the bed, ready to run back to her. But his legs, still weak, gave way as he stood and he fell down on the bed. Two elves warrior quietly approached the boy, and helped him up. Realising her words would not calm his fears; she quietly beckoned the two elves to help Korran move to the near room where Lyra lied. As they passed in a long hall way they soon arrived to a room bathed in moonlight. The room was small but warmth came from it as a caress. His longing gave him the strength to approach the bed and draw its heavy curtains aside.



In it laid a woman. Her arms, covered by bandages, were partly hidden by the long sleeves of a white gown. Her hair was cut short and smelled of burnt wood. He turned to the Lady of the Wood, puzzled. She beckoned him to look at the woman again. Only when he looked at her face did he recognised his aunt. She looked older, as if the sands of time had run their course in an accelerated way. Her face was gaunt, haunted by the recent events. She seemed to be in an enchanted sleep but as he called to the woman, her eyes opened and looked at him with fear. Seeing this, he tried to calm her with soothing words. It took some time for Lyra to remember the events and yet this boy seemed a stranger to her.



Taking a breath she asked him: “Who are you? “















Her answer came as a slap in the face for Korran. “This has to be a nightmare” he thought as he fell back to floor. Nira repeated her question and he pinched himself to be sure he was not dreaming. He slowly began walking away from the bed, his face still fixed on her as she asked his name again. As he turned to run, he saw that the Lady's eyes were full of tears. He tried to leave the room, torn between anger and sadness, but the elves gently stopped him. He punched their armor but they did not move aside. After a moment, he calmed himself and as the elves moved aside to let him pass, he slowly walked towards the wood. As he passed The Lady, he heard her say in a calm but sad voice: “She has forgotten us as well.” As he walked away he could still hear Lyra's voice demanding information that he could not tell her.





For a long time Korran walked, unaware of his destination feeling that the enemy, whoever it was had, had robbed him of his only link to the village. Now Orion and him were alone. He arrived in the clearing where Orion rested. The Dragon was now as big as horse but twice as large. Lying in a circle around him, were the salamanders, joyfully playing in little balls of fire. The dragon didn't seem to mind too much. But his attention soon turned to Korran as he entered the clearing. The boy looked at him and quietly sat under a tree. There was great sadness in his eyes, and also a great pain, a thing he could not understand in humans. His knees brought up , Korran stared in emptiness as Orion approached and nuzzled his cheek. Slowly, the boy began absent mindedly to strike his friends head. Orion read the pain that his friend carried in his mind, his many efforts over the years to keep his aunt from sinking in greef and madness. This time unfortunately there would be no coming back for Lyra. Seeing the latest events, great pearly tears rolled down his cheek to wet the pale blue flowers beneath.



An eternity seemed to pass before Korran came back to his senses. Meanwhile a group of young sprites and fairies had gathered in the bushes near that tree. They looked at this young stranger from the village with great wonder. None spoke as they witnessed the sadness in the eyes of those young ones.



The boy was soon aware that was being watched. Annoyed to be disturbed Korran called out : Whoever you are show yourself or leave me alone! The bushes moved and several little creatures showed themselves. Many seemed ashamed to have disturbed him and with a movement she beckoned her friends to go back to their games.



Soon the young domovoi leader approached Korran and in a movement of sympathy she hugged his leg, before making her up to his knee where she sat. Then taking a flute from her pcket she began playing a song. This lullaby , Korran had heard it before. It was the song she played when he was sick or sad. As the lullaby ended, The domovoi looked up into Korran's face and began to speak:



You have never seen us before but know that we were never far away from you. You once saw Lexa(she pointed to a small fairy) in school once. Her task was to attend the class at night. You tried to tell the others but they laughed at you. She told us how you suffered that day. She stayed away until all were gone. Orion know Torc well for when you were away, he looked after him. It was him that told us that Orion had gone this morning… We sent fairies to look out for you. But Ariel(she pointed to a young nymph) knows you best. She has looked over you at night for many years. Your aunt knew of her and always left something for her. Now she weeps for you. We all do.





A young dwarf, who had followed the conversation, looked and sneered at them. He was quite happy to see this child of men suffer for he had suffered a lot as a house spirit to an evil man. Talking loud enough to be heard by all, he began to mock them:



Look at them! They are such a sappy pair. A banshee would do a better job to save Legend than them. He is not the child! He said angrily, “He is but another stupid boy who happens to be friend with a dragonet. The Prophecy lied! There is no heir to Legend. It is gone!



The creatures around him gasped at this boldness. For a long time, the child had been searched for. The leader approached the bold dwarf and slapped him. Since she was a fire fairy, her slap left a red mark. She then pointed to Korran: How dare you say those words! The child has never hurt you! Your bitterness is over lacking your judgment. Whip out your hate of men elsewhere and let him be! As for the other matter, we were strictly told not to speak of it.



Tired to be seen as a specimen, Korran got up and left the clearing. As he walked away he could hear the creature's argument and bickering. He was tired to be seen as a child, tired to be protected against events he did not comprehend. As he made his way to his chamber, he became aware he was followed. The steps were light and hesitant. Believing the presence to be a nymph, Korran, turned around ready to shout at the creature. Yet when he saw Lyra, he froze. She still wore her long white dress and her bandages but the wildness of her eyes was gone. He softly spoke to her: “Hello Lyra, How are you today?”



Lyra's eyes narrowed trying to recall this young man, with sad green eyes. Soon her gaze turned to fear, when she saw Orion slowly approach and lean his head on the boy's shoulder. She fell back and began to recoil on herself, fearing the dragon's next move. Seeing this, Korran spoke to his friend:



“Orion, leave her with me. She does know you. I will lead her back to her room. Go back to my room I will join you shortly.”



Orion bowed his head and flew away to join the other creatures in the forest. Korran kneeled near her and got her to stand. @$$ they walked, a fairy nurse appeared and beckoning to Korran she took Lyra's hand. Gently, Korran let her go and, with one last glance to the boy, Lyra was led away.



When she disappeared from sight, Korran ran in the other direction to reach his room. As he entered he was surprised to see Ariel awaiting him. The young nymph sat on his bed, humming a song. She soon acknowledged his presence, and bowing to him she delivered her quarry:


[ulist]
My lady, Queen Nadira, requests your presence in the council hall early tomorrow morning. It is very important that you attend for much is to be explained.
[/ulist]


Korran smiled as he saw her bow to him. She was always so polite it was embarrassing. Yet her presence was painful for it brought back memories of the village. Seeing his sadness, Ariel's heart throbbed. Her little man, her young prince was hurt and yet she could not soothe this pain. A tear rolled down her cheek and she found herself wishing to hold him and consol him. Forgetting all the etiquette of the court she opened her arms and Korran ran to her.



Time seemed to stop, all his grief flowed out as he remembered the events of the last few hours. Ariel, Close by, Orion was looking at this child of man, trying to understand why men's heart were so fragile, and yet so full of hatred and anger towards creatures of magical birth.



Soon Ariel arose, leaving Korran to rest. Before leaving she approached Orion and gently

Scratched his eye ridge. She then left the room, leaving Orion to wonder about the events of the next day.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment