Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - The Mirror

When Starfire is forced to leave Earth to go to war with Tamaran, Robin is heartbroken. Raven tries to comfort him, but her own emotions get in the way.

Contains some Robin x Starfire and Robin x Raven. Enjoy!

Chapter 4 - The Mirror

Chapter 4 - The Mirror


Cyborg stared at Robin. He couldn't believe it. He, BB, and Rae hadn't heard Robin say it the first time, so this was a bit of a shock. He always new Star and Robin had a thing for each other, sure! But he loved her? Poor Raven! He saw it in her eyes. She liked Robin too, and he suspected Beast Boy could also tell. Raven had finished coughing and was staring at Robin with an unreadable expression.

“Robin, that wasn't really the ideal thing to say at the moment.” He scolded.

“What?” Robin said, not quite understanding the situation he just caused. He was preoccupied with watching the rainy sky, as if expecting to see Starfire coming between the clouds any second now. Alas, all there was to see was the steady flow of the rain.

Ignoring the fact that Raven was in the room, Cyborg said to Robin, “You can't just go telling Star that you love her in front of us, especially Raven. In case you haven't noticed, she likes you too.”

Raven's head whipped around to glare at Cyborg, but not angrily. Her eyes were pleading Cyborg to stop. But he didn't.

“I mean, at least Raven doesn't chase you around like some mad dog after a cat. She really tries to have you pay attention to her, and yet you can't see what's in front of you, unless it's Star. And now you're telling her that you love her, in front of a girl who had really cared about you for five years. You blew it, man.”

Robin stood up angrily. “What would you know about love! What you say is completely hypocritical! All you can look at is Jinx, and poor Bumblebee has tired every muscle in her body to stand in front of you and show you that she cares! I love Starfire, and there's nothing you can do about it, so get off my back!”

“You have no idea what you're saying!” Cyborg yelled. “You're just a stupid, bossy…”

“STOP!” Beast Boy shouted suddenly. “You've already done the damage!”

The two quarreling Titans turned around. Beast Boy pointed furiously to the seat that Raven has occupied. A cup of spilled tea was all that resided in that spot.

“Raven's gone!” Cyborg said, turning to Robin. “You probably broke her heart, you selfish jerk!”

Robin simply turned and looked out the window, where the rain hitting hard now. He listened to the drops pounding on windowsill for a moment, then turned to face his disgruntled friends. His face was one of pure sorrow.

“You're right, Cyborg. I've been a real jerk to her. I…I think I know where she's gone.” He started to walk towards the stairwell door. “Wait for me here, and call me if she comes back.”



Robin stepped outside into the pouring rain. He knew where she'd gone. Why am I such a horrible person? He thought bitterly as he neared the other side of the roof. Sure enough, Raven sat on the other side of the small shed, sopping wet. She was meditating, not seeming to mind the fact that she was out in the freezing rain, soaked to the bone. She slowly chanted her mantra in a shaking voice. “Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos. Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos. Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos.” Robin noticed, despite the rain, that she was crying.

“Raven?”

She started, and fell out of rhythm. She stood up without turning around. “Yes?”

“I….I'm really sorry, Rae. I didn't know, I should have….”

“Well, of course you didn't know!” she snapped, turning on him suddenly. “All these years I've wasted chasing after you, hoping for once you'd actually notice me! I was a fool! I was such…such a pathetic fool…” She began to cry again. “Oh Robin, forgive me, I…I'm so sorry, so sorry…”

Robin hugged her, this time petting her wet, silky, purplish hair. “It's alright, I understand. I was unfair, I should have paid attention to you.”

Raven shivered. “It's cold,” she whispered. Robin removed his cape and wrapped it around her. It was damp, but she ceased shivering.

“Thank you,” she smiled, her lavender eyes glowing with gratitude.

She looks so beautiful when she smiles, Robin thought, And her eyes…





Robin walked her back inside. Cyborg and Beast Boy ran over and hugged them both.

“You guys look like you just spend a day in a refrigerator!” Beast Boy laughed.

“I'm making hot chocolate, then!” Cyborg announced. “And tea for Raven,” he added quickly, grinning at her.

“Actually,” Raven said, “ Hot chocolate sounds…nice.”

Cyborg grinned even wider. “BOOYAH!” he cried. “BB, can you get the whole milk out of the fridge?”

Beast Boy gasped, offended. “No way man, the only milk I'll even touch is soymilk.” He opened the refrigerator and reached for the soymilk.

The robot man made a face. “Ew, that stuff's horrible. Rae, can you pass me the real milk?” he said, turning to Raven, who was wrapped in a blanket.

Raven nodded, and covered the object with her black aura, pushing Beast Boy gently aside and guiding it to Cyborg.

Robin, sitting next to Raven, suddenly sat up. “Excuse me for a moment.” He said, walking briskly out of the room. Raven looked worried, and glanced at Cyborg questioningly, He shrugged.

Raven got up and glided down the hall. She found Robin in his room, searching under his bed for something. “Robin?” He pulled out a box. “Yeah?”

“What is that?” she asked, pointing to the dusty box he now held in his hands, lifting it as if it were a fragile glass statue.

He motioned Raven to the floor. She sat down next to him and peered at the box. He lifted the lid, and Raven gasped in wonder.

Inside the box was a mirror, much like the one she had in her room. However, this was no portal to Nevermore. This mirror was not of any Azarathian descent. This mirror was made of a solid crystal, similar to diamond but even more lovely. The middle was sanded down and polished, so you can easily see your reflection in it. If you were to tilt this piece, many colors would flash on your walls. The mirror was studded with a red variation of this crystal. It had a `T' carved on the top. This mirror was a masterpiece.



“It's a mirror, Rae,” he whispered, equally entranced by its sheer beauty. “Of Tamaran. We can see, through this mirror, what's happening in Tamaran. All I need to do is touch my hand to the center, and…”

Raven suddenly stopped him, taking his hand swiftly but tenderly away, pressing it to his chest. “I wouldn't if I were you,” she said, “There might be chaos. Death. Please, don't look.”

Robin's eyes widened. “But Raven, if what you say is true, then it is our duty as teammates, as her friends, to go help her.”

Raven looked at him sadly. “Galfore stated we cannot interfere.”

Robin bowed his head. “Please Raven, I have to see if she's alright. That's all.” His plea filled Raven with pity.

She sighed. “Do as you like, Robin. But the outcome might be too hard for you to take.”

Robin reached forward once again. Hesitating slightly, he carefully picked up the mirror. He lightly tapped the shining center with his finger.

The mirror suddenly shone brightly. The abrupt brightness caused Raven and Robin to simultaneously shield their eyes. As their eyes began to refocus, they saw that a moving image had taken form on the mirror's glossy center.



This image was vibrantly displayed in color, so detailed was the picture that one might believe they could reach into the scene. The mirror showed, as they expected, the war raging. The scene was grotesque; bodies were strewn across the large plain, buildings and homes were engulfed in flames, and fire seemed to even be licking the edges of the warrior's feet. Nevertheless, the Tamaranians fought bravely; fighting off every Hertoronic soldier that threatened to stab with their long, menacing scythes. Alas, Tamaran was greatly outnumbered. The Hertorones had already taken the north and west wings of Tamaran. Their resistance would not last long.



A figure flew into the image. It was Starfire, dressed in warrior's attire, the same that she arrived at Earth with. She flung large masses of starbolts towards the enemy, but anyone could see she was exhausted. She has several cuts only her bare arms and legs. In spite of that, she threw herself into a score of Hertorones and blasted them many yards away. She wouldn't last for much longer.



“We have to help them, Raven,” Robin finally stated, sounding determined.

“I know, I know,” Raven whispered, tears rolling down her ashen gray cheeks. “But how? We…we can't. We can't interfere.” She burst into great, heaving sobs. “Poor Star,” she choked. “How can we help her? Tamaran is lost.”

Robin hugged her, cradling her in his arms, still as determined as ever. “I have an idea. I think we can still save Tamaran.”





Getting more interesting now, nai? (I hope so!) I think the next chapter is gonna be fun to write. Sorry for the holdup on this one! I've been lazy. Comments? I need a motivation! =o

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Shadow_Dance on June 13, 2006, 11:51:30 AM

Shadow_Dance on
Shadow_DanceNo:1 (4 voting)

TeenTitan on April 2, 2006, 12:44:39 PM

TeenTitan on
TeenTitanBoring? BORING! R U OUT OF YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!
OK. VOTE. IS THIS STORY BORING?
Yes:1
No:0

TeenAvaGo_1 on March 7, 2006, 12:26:52 AM

TeenAvaGo_1 on
TeenAvaGo_1This is awesome! write more! write more! write more! faves!
Finish the story soon and I will put you on my faves!

sWaLLoW_tHe_KniFe on March 6, 2006, 8:16:42 PM

sWaLLoW_tHe_KniFe on
sWaLLoW_tHe_KniFeI like it still..I think it's sorta funny how Robin likes starfire and switches to Raven tho...lol...Keep writing!!