Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Fulfillment

Can the author come into his own fanfiction? Of course! It only takes a flick of the fingers...

Chapter 4 - Fulfillment

Chapter 4 - Fulfillment
“Well, it’s official,” said Elijah, unchaining the prisoners. “You’re released.” He stood and held his arms out for a moment, glowing brightly, then lowered his arms. “All your powers should be returned to you.”

“Thanks!” said Rai, playing with a bit of air.

“Welcome,” said Elijah, turning around.

“Does this mean you’re not all powerful anymore?” asked Jack. Elijah shot him a filthy look and he began to crow like a rooster.

“Any more stupid questions?” he asked, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

“No,” said Jack, massaging his throat. They both headed back inside.

“I’m not sure how much I like the idea of him and another guy living together,” said Clay suspiciously.

“Oh, calm down,” said Rai. “Like he and Jack are going to do anything.”

“It’s not Jack I’m worried about,” said Clay, casting a dark look over his shoulder.

Meanwhile, with Elijah…

“Lord,” said Chase, bowing to Elijah. “I don’t believe you and Clay should be together.”

“Why would you say that, Chase?” asked Elijah.

“I spoke to Master Fung,” said Chase sleekly. “And he said where you come from, we are merely figments of the imagination, merely drawings.” He grinned evilly. “Is it really natural to be seeing a figment of your imagination?”

This sent Elijah reeling. He’d never thought of it that way. What was he doing? But he was so happy! He backed up a few paces, then turned and ran up the stairs.

Chase still had that wicked smile on his face. He’d done his part. He sat in his vacant throne to wait until Elijah's love came too late.

Back with the dragons…

“Somethin’s wrong,” said Clay abruptly, stopping in his tracks. “Somethin’s wrong.”

“What?” asked Omi.

Clay held a look of utmost horror on his face. “Elijah,” he croaked, dropping his things and running back to the castle.

Back at the castle…

Clay, Omi, Kimiko, and Rai burst in and ran into Jack. He had a wild look on his face. “I haven’t seen Elijah all day, and Chase is sitting in his throne, and I’m worried!”

Kimiko grabbed his hand and they all ran into the throne room. Sure enough, there was Chase, sitting on Elijah’s rightful throne, looking for all the world like the cat who killed the canary. “Well, well, well,” he said neatly. “What do we have here?”

“Where’s Elijah?” asked Clay fiercely, staring Chase down.

“Now, now,” said Chase. “Don’t get ‘strung out.’”

Clay ran forward, lunging with his arm in front of him and pinning Chase to the throne. “Where’s Elijah?” he demanded with a snarl.

“On the roof,” Chase said with a smirk, “killing himself.”

All of the breath seemed to leave Clay’s body at that instant. “No,” he whispered. Chase’s smirk still remained.

“We have to save him,” said Jack, spinning around and running up the stairs to the roof. Clay barreled ahead of him. Elijah had confessed to him, he’d kissed him, what was he doing – ? Jack quickly matched him in speed. Could Elijah never have seen that Jack didn’t simply want the power, he cared about him as well?

They reached the roof. As they banged through the door to the roof, they saw Elijah. He stood on the turret of one of his walls, hair tied back in a black ribbon, one black-booted foot already off the wall. He turned and saw them. His eyes widened and he prepared to take his final, last step.

“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!?!” screamed Jack, careening for Elijah as he leaped off the turret. He just barely caught him, grabbing him by the waist out of thin air and tackling him onto the stone floor, hard. Elijah screamed in pain, throwing him off and clutching his ankle.

“To answer your question,” said Elijah through clenched teeth, trying to stand up and failing miserably, “killing myself.”

“Why?!” demanded Jack, confused and upset and not understanding and a plethora of other emotions.

“I’m tired of life,” spat Elijah.

“Tired of life?!” challenged Jack. “Why don’t you add some more salt to the wound?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?!”

“We already think you’re psychotic! This doesn’t help matters at all!”

“You, who were so quick to join my team, think me psychotic?” asked Elijah, firing up.

“Yeah, actually,” said Jack in a mock-thoughtful voice. “Yeah, I do.”

“Well why don’t you just get it over with and break another bone?!” Elijah demanded. His breathing had indeed become very light and blood soaked his ankle.

“Elijah,” said Clay hoarsely.

“What?” he snapped. However, the look on his face stopped him. Clay looked…very tired, and very sad, and very…vacant. He looked like a man who’d lost all reason to live. He looked like Elijah himself did when he’d looked in the mirror earlier that day, right after Chase had talked to him. “What?” he asked again, his voice softer and kinder.

“Why?” Clay rasped.

“I told you all,” Elijah said, turning away. “I’m tired of life.”

Clay sank down next to him, lifting him up and pulling him into his lap. Elijah still wouldn’t look at him, so Clay gently turned his face towards him. “Why?” he repeated.

Elijah began to cry. “I love you,” he sobbed, “so much.” He kept sobbing. “But I can’t. And if I can’t be with you, I don’t see what the point of living anymore is.”

“Why can’t you be with me?” asked Clay. Was he…breaking up with him?

“It’s not the way things are done where I come from,” murmured Elijah.

“Listen to me,” said Clay sternly. “Do you have any intention of goin’ back where you came from?”

“No,” said Elijah.

“Then why’s there any problem?” he asked gently.

“There isn’t any,” Elijah muttered. “Being stupid. It’s just…where I come from, this would be regarded as insane, or impossible.”

“Is this where you come from?” Clay asked.

“No,” said Elijah.

“Then don’t be worrying,” said Clay, bundling him into his arms and picking him up. “I love you. Isn’t that all that matters?” He smiled at him softly. “Come on, let’s get that ankle fixed.” So, the group trekked off, back towards the temple.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment