Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 10 - Chapter Ten

Takes place in the middle of Season Five- right after the Grand Prix tournament, and before they go on the memory journey to Egypt. I hope you guys like it! I'm not used to writing fanfictions! X]

Chapter 10 - Chapter Ten

Chapter 10 - Chapter Ten
We all sat at his breakfast table an hour later. Dartz seemed solemn; usually, he had a confident smirk, but now… I could tell that he felt like he couldn’t stop his advisors. Was it because he couldn’t use the god cards? But, neither could they, right?

“Thank you for coming,” Dartz said. “I feel like I have a lot to explain.”

I frowned and set down my fork (the table was spread with every imaginably edible sea animal). Dartz sighed.

“When I began to rebuild my country, I set up a cabinet to serve as my head advisors. I chose a very intelligent man and woman to be my right-hand people. Their names are Donno and Adella. They are a married couple, aged 25 years and 24 years, respectively.

“I believe now that my earlier attempts to resurrect my country by destroying the rest of the world was a terrible, evil idea that I assure you I have abandoned. However, not everyone agrees with my change of heart. Donno and Adella still believe that the only way we can truly rebuild Atlantis is to awaken the Leviathan and destroy everyone who does not agree with them… they have convinced many people in my nation to believe them. They broke into my quarters in the palace, into the room where the Orichalcos Stone rests, and stole it; they learned how to control the Seal with cards, and have even created new, powerful monsters. They have harmed people all over the world… their new monsters have powers that even I did not once possess. I understand that each of you has had experiences with the monsters… I can still control the Orichalcos, and am aware of when it is used.”

“Yeah,” Duke said, annoyed. “There was a monster in my living room. I killed it, but not before it broke a lot of my furniture.”

“Ours too!” Serenity gasped. Joey nodded. “I had to fight off about five of ‘em,” he added.

“Try fighting them off while you’re trying to take a piss,” Tristan laughed. Téa slapped his hand angrily and demanded that he not be gross at the lunch table.

I frowned at all of them. “Be quiet, you dolts,” I told them; “Let Dartz finish.”

Joey flipped me off; I ignored him, and everyone looked back at Dartz. He nodded in my direction and continued, “The limit of my power is simply to remove the soul from the person I am fighting. I cannot directly kill people with my power… my power simply leaves the body as a shell, which will eventually shut down over, on average, a day; Adella and Donno can kill immediately. Their monsters are extremely effective in damaging and paralyzing the heart… the damage depends on how long the monster’s attack is in contact with the victim.”

Everyone was listening intently; even I couldn’t bring myself to completely think of Dartz as a fool. He continued, “I have found, from observation, that it takes roughly ten seconds of a continuous attack to complete the process of removing the soul and stopping the victim’s heart. A continuous attack lasting two seconds or less will leave the victim in pain, cold, and feeling breathless, but will not necessarily even knock them off of their feet; it is very easy to recover from this brief an attack. An attack that lasts three, four or five seconds will be enough to make the victim dizzy or maybe even disoriented on top of having all of the same symptoms as the shorter attacks; they will not be able to stay on their feet, but will not necessarily lose consciousness; usually, this results in no permanent damage, and the victim can recover quickly enough. Once you hit six or seven seconds, you’re looking at an attack that could leave the heart permanently damaged. This usually makes the victim unconscious, and this is where it gets dangerous; once unconscious, of course the victim cannot fight back. An eight- or nine-second attack could easily kill the victim, even if the monster is removed; that usually results in serious permanent damage to the heart... but, it is better than a ten-second attack, because the monster will be unsuccessful in retrieving a victim’s soul after only nine seconds. Ten seconds seems to be the threshold for when the monster’s attack fully completes what the monsters intend to do.”

I frowned. This made sense. Mokuba and I seemed to have four-second attacks. So… did this mean that I believed Dartz….?

Yugi frowned. “Thank you for telling us that,” he said. “But… my grandpa had the cards in his store, and Donno and Adella stole them from his store. Where are they?”

“The god cards have an incredible energy to them. They proved to be very valuable to me, and they’re very valuable to Donno and Adella… their energy continually supplies much power to the Leviathan, even though Donno and Adella cannot control the god cards in battle. I know that Donno and Adella are keeping them in three isolated, deserted temples.

“There are two things that can defeat the power of the Orichalcos in battle. The three Legendary Knights, Sirs Timaeus, Critias and Hermos… and the god cards. The Legendary Knights have gone to the afterlife, to their resting places… the god cards are now your ultimate weapons. I know you can control the god cards, great Pharaoh… you can defeat the Leviathan permanently and destroy the power of the Orichalcos if you were to bring them together.”

“What did I do to the Leviathan the first time,” the Pharaoh asked. “I brought together the Legendary Knights. Why didn’t the Leviathan die?”

“The Knights cannot kill the Leviathan. Only the god cards can. The Knights can only destroy the power of the Orichalcos, in a duel… in a sense, weakening the Leviathan because the Leviathan uses the Orichalcos to collect its energy sources… but the Knights can only imprison the Leviathan within the depths of the earth, just like they did thousands of years ago. That is all they did this time, too. The god cards are the only ones who can go as far as to kill the Leviathan. They can kill the Leviathan and permanently destroy the Orichalcos. That is what must be done now.”

I frowned. Dartz had called me and Yugi here because we were the only people who could control the god cards in battle.

“Aw, yeah!” Tristan yelled. “These guys are going down. Don’t worry, Dartz. We’ll get rid of the Orichalcos and the Leviathan once and for all.”

Dartz’ expression flickered; he then smiled. “Yes,” he said. “I have faith in you. Thank you. I am at your service; if there is anything you need, do not hesitate to ask me. You may stay in my castle overnight. I have arranged sleeping rooms for each of you; I will also be happy to arrange transportation for you; I know that the nearest temple contains the Sky Dragon, Slifer. As far as I am concerned, Donno and Adella do not know that anyone is coming to stop them.” He stood up. “Come,” he said. “I must show you where the temples are located.”We all stood up from the table; he led us out of the dining hall.

“Yugi,” I said, in the back of the group. “Wait. Let me ask you something.”

He stopped and turned around to face me. “What is it, Kaiba?”He asked when I had reached him.

“You… you really trust Dartz, don’t you…?” I asked unhappily.

He frowned up at me. “Yes…” he said.

“Dart z doesn’t seem to be happy with the idea of destroying the Orichalcos,” I said. “Did you see his face, when Tristan said that he would destroy the Orichalcos? He wasn’t happy about it.”

Yugi glowered. “I didn’t notice that,” he said. “Do you think he still likes the Orichalcos?”

“I’m not sure. But… I don’t feel like we can fully trust him. Really.”

“Well… maybe,” Yugi said. “I guess let’s not let ourselves get cornered by him…”

Dartz led us all to another giant, seafoam-green room; it was completely empty. I wondered why…

“Here,” Dartz said. The lights dimmed; I had to then shield my eyes from a flash that burst from the ceiling. When it was gone, a map became suspended in midair; it nearly filled the entire room. It was a map of Atlantis. It was a surprisingly large island; there was an X marked on the map where the castle was located- directly in the middle of the island.

Dartz pointed to a spot not far from the castle. “This is where the temple where Slifer is being held is located. It is a mile south of the castle, located on the outskirts of a small village called Nereid.”

“Nereid,” Joey repeated.

“Nereid is one of the small cities that prides itself in our technological advances. They have developed such incredible machines as transportation pods, trains that can travel at upwards of five hundred miles per hour, swords that are strong enough to slice a block of lead in half, with ease…” Dartz said proudly. “It isn’t a large place, but it is spectacular and beautiful.”

“Everything here is spectacular and beautiful,” Serenity said, in awe.

Dartz smiled at her for a moment before pulling a laser pointer out of his pocket. He shone the laser to the northern tip of the island. “Here is where the Obelisk card is located,” he said. “This is an ice temple located on the peak of the mountain called Galatea- this is where I had once imprisoned the three Legendary Knights. Even in April, it is snowy and cold, there- but the mountains are majestic. You will enjoy the scenery.”

He then pointed to the most southern tip of the island.”This is where the Ra card is located; it is also nearest to where Donno and Adella live, and where they are keeping their fragments of the Orichalcos stone. The southern cities of Atlantis are the ones with the most technology; they are the larger cities. This temple is located on the outskirts of Despina City.”

I frowned. It made sense to go for the Slifer card, first. It was the nearest, and we would probably need the help of one god card on our travels to the other two, further-away temples.

“This doesn’t seem like it will be too hard, right?” Téa asked nobody in particular, still looking up at the map. “Should we get Slifer first?”

“Yeah,” Yugi said. “We can go there now.”

“Good,” Dartz said. “I must add that Donno and Adella have, of course, tried to make the temples as secure as possible. You will be faced with many monsters; and the cards should be well-hidden. So, I advise you to seek a woman named Cleito. She lives in Nereid; her husband, Thalas, has been famous throughout our land for his incredible weapon-building skills. I know that he had built hundreds of weapons designed to fight monsters, and had given them out to the citizens… I’m sure he would be pleased to share with you all.”

“Cool,” Duke said. “We get to use monster-blasting swords?”

“Precisely,” Dartz said. “Cleito lives in a small home not far from the temple; Donno and Adella do not know where to find her, because nobody would ever think to look for such an incredible couple in such a humble place. Cleito, in particular, will be useful to you- she was given a natural gift of healing, and can easily mend any wounds you may receive.”

We left the room. It was time to stop this nonsense. Whether or not Dartz was trustworthy, I would make sure that the power that he had tried to harness was destroyed.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment