Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 11 - Chapter Eleven

Takes place in the middle of Season Five- right after the Grand Prix tournament, and before they go on the memory journey to Egypt. I hope you guys like it! I'm not used to writing fanfictions! X]

Chapter 11 - Chapter Eleven

Chapter 11 - Chapter Eleven
The first temple was a short walk from the castle; visible, even, from the castle’s front steps. The first temple was, unlike the rest of the buildings here, made of stone- it was relatively small, and hidden beneath a plethora of trees and forest shrubs. It looked like nobody had visited it in a long time.

“We should find that woman… Cleito,” Serenity said. “She has weapons, right?”

“Yeah,” Joey said. “If we see any monsters…”

“We will,” I said. “Where does she live?”

“Dartz said to find a cottage near here,” Tristan said. “I don’t see any cottage.”

“There’s a pathway,” Mokuba said, pointing at the ground. He was right; there was a path leading back the way we came; in front of us, to the right, was the temple- to the left, the path forked through the forest. “Think it’s that way?”

Duke shrugged. “Sure, why not,” he said.

I frowned. Was this a trap? I almost didn’t want to go try to find Cleito. Monsters could be defeated with duel monsters cards, or by us stepping on the stones. Why were the scepters so much more necessary? I voiced this thought.

Everyone considered me for a moment. Joey said, “Yeah, I got my Red-Eyes…those monsters are weak when it comes to cards.”

The Pharaoh looked up at the temple. “I think Cleito does live down that path, but perhaps we are in better condition to not go looking for her right now. The faster we find the god cards, the weaker the Leviathan becomes.”

I was glad that they agreed with me. We walked up the short path to the right; up to the stairs of the first temple.

It was very dark in here. The first foyer was open and echoing and empty. What had this temple once stood for?

There was suddenly a rustling on the other side of the room. Everyone heard it.

“What was that,” Téa gasped. It was too dark to see very much; I strained my eyes against the blackness and grabbed Mokuba by the shirt collar; he stayed close to my side.

Suddenly Tristan gasped. “Look out!” he yelled; we all whipped around to see the outline of what looked like a monster that was at least five times bigger than the ones we’d already seen, standing not far from where we all were.

It all seemed to happen so fast… the beam of light shot forward, and Tristan jumped forward to block it from Serenity… he shoved her out of the way, and it hit him square in the chest…

And at that moment, everything became so slow. A horrible green light flashed through the room, blinding all of us, momentarily… I was aware of nothing but Mokuba clinging to the front of my shirt, for a moment. The light began to die, and I looked up and saw Tristan… grimacing in pain, he looked over at me, the person standing closest to him at that time… and I read a thought in his fading eyes: “get Serenity out of here,” before he crumpled to the ground and the light was gone.

The monster was roaring; the room was rumbling. Serenity was sitting on the ground, stunned, staring open-mouthed at Tristan’s lifeless figure only feet in front of her. Yugi shouted for everyone to run; he whipped his deck out of his jacket pocket, and I took that moment to do the same. Téa took Serenity by the wrists; Duke hurriedly picked Tristan up off of the floor. He didn’t respond at all, only laid limply in Duke’s arms, eyes closed. Mokuba clung to my waist as Téa yelled, “We’ll meet you back at Cleito’s house!” and the four of them left hurriedly.

Joey held up a monster card- it was the Red-Eyes Black Dragon, his strongest monster.

“Nail it, red-eyes!” he shouted; the dragon shot its black fire bullet at the monster. It hit the monster in the forehead; it was gone with a shriek and a puff of light. “Tristan…” Joey then muttered, looking back at the door.

The Pharaoh glowered, and spoke solemnly. “Duke and Téa will take him to Cleito’s house. If what Dartz says is true about her, then we shouldn’t worry about him…”

That was precisely how I felt. I didn’t say anything; I just walked forward, with Mokuba at my heels. It seemed like the temple was shaped like a giant T- there was a large foyer in the front, and one long hallway leading from it. “I’ve never seen a monster like that,” he muttered.

“I’m not surprised,” I said. “There must be more of them. Keep your Red-Eyes out, Wheeler.”

“Yo,” he replied; I could hear the gentle beating of the dragon’s wings as it flew behind us.

The hallways grew steadily lighter as we walked forward; lit candles were now nailed to the walls. I could now see the end of the hallway- it dead-ended into an enormous door. The doors were made of stone; Joey ran forward and tugged at the giant, steel handle. The doors didn’t budge; were they just too heavy for one man to open, or was there something else…

The Pharaoh went forward and tugged at the doors, with Joey. No luck; the stone didn’t even seem to give way even slightly. I looked up. A carving was on the doors, which read:

LXXXXV

“Lixxxev?” Joey said stupidly, noticing what I was looking at. “What does that mean? Is that Atlantian?”

Perhaps. To me, it looked like Roman numerals. Ninety-five. “Ninety-five,” I said aloud.

“I believe those are Roman numerals, as well,” the Pharaoh said. “But, the proper way to write ninety-five is with an X, a C and a V.”

“Duh… what?” Joey asked.

“Right…” I said, rubbing my chin. “This isn’t the right way to write it.”

The Pharaoh frowned. “I believe that the Atlantean culture influenced the Romans,” he said. “I know that the fall of Atlantis took place approximately in the year 9500 B.C. Perhaps this temple was built as a tribute… perhaps this was the first way to write numbers, and the Romans adapted it.”

I frowned. Yes, perhaps, but what good did that do us? Joey’s Red-Eyes was growling. The Pharaoh looked up at it. “It knows that Slifer is close,” he said.

I agreed. I could feel a powerful light, nearby… it was the same feeling that I had experienced when Yugi and I had dueled with these cards. Slifer was on the other side of this door.

“Red-Eyes!” Joey said. “Bust through this door!”

The dragon shot a black fire bullet at the door; there was a rumbling explosion; but when it died down, we saw that the doors were completely unscathed. It wasn’t that I thought his dragon was too weak to break the stone… no monster could break the stone.

“It’s a spell,” the Pharaoh said. “It has something to do with that number. Ninety-five.”

“How do you know,” I asked.

He ignored me. He approached the doors again and looked up at the carving.

“Donno and Adella would make it hard, to protect Slifer,” Mokuba said. “We have to think in a way that they think anyone else other than them won’t.”

The Pharaoh removed his deck from his jacket again and held his cards in his hand, like a fan. “Joey… Kaiba… I think I know. Hold up your decks.”

Each of us had a 40-card deck. I held mine the same way that the Pharaoh was holding his. “Why,” I asked.

“Kaiba, you know that Slifer’s attack power is based upon the number of cards the player has in their hand. As does this door. We must be holding a total of ninety-five cards.”

I frowned. That… actually seemed to make sense…

“Yugi, you got forty… Kaiba, you got forty… so… how many do I have to have?” Joey asked, shuffling his cards.

Really? He really didn’t know… he was really that dumb? “Fifteen,” I said angrily.

“Oh yeah,” he said, counting his cards. “Fifteen.” He counted out fifteen cards and stuck the other twenty-five back into his jacket.

“Hold them all up,” the Pharaoh said.

We did; suddenly, I felt my arm freeze in the air. Stunned, I watched, amazed, as each of the cards in my hand lit up; as did Joey’s and as did the Pharaoh’s- then, the doors rumbled, and creaked open.

“Aw, yeah!” Joey yelled happily, running forward. I was amazed and couldn’t help but be impressed with the Pharaoh’s problem-solving.

The Pharaoh entered the room behind Joey; Mokuba and I followed them. The next room was small; in the middle was a pedestal, and sitting on it… was the Slifer card.

“There it is,” the Pharaoh whispered. He walked forward; I followed him. We were now standing only feet from the card.

Spectacular. The card, one of the most powerful in existence. It was a beautiful monster; Slifer, a powerful dragon. The card shined red; lightning seemed to pulse through it. The Pharaoh reached forward and picked up the card; the temple rumbled somewhat, but nothing else happened.

“One down, three to go,” Joey said happily. “Let’s get the hell out of here. I want to see Tristan.”

“Me too,” the Pharaoh said. “I’m very worried…”

I followed them out of the room and down the hallway, feeling triumphant. I hated everything about being at this place- but, we had defeated them once, and they would fall pathetically at our hands, again.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment