Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 14 - Chapter Fourteen

Takes place in the middle of Season Five- right after the Grand Prix tournament, and before they go on the memory journey to Egypt. I hope you guys like it! I'm not used to writing fanfictions! X]

Chapter 14 - Chapter Fourteen

Chapter 14 - Chapter Fourteen
There stood the second temple. I had been here, before; I had removed the cursed sword from Critias’ neck and had freed him from the ice, here. The temple was enormous and circular; the three dragons had once stood right in the middle of it.

It was cold outside, but I couldn’t help but agree with Dartz in considering the scenery spectacular. Whereas everything in the southern parts of Atlantis seemed to be made from a seafoam-green crystal, everything here seemed to be made of stone and ice. Maybe the northern parts of the country were being kept historical; it didn’t appear that much of the technology had made it up here. The train had only one stop to the entire Northern region; there was a one-way transportation pod to the castle near the train station.

The temple was nestled in a large mountain chain; snow gently fell to the ground in front of us. I pulled my coat tighter around me; everyone else was either shivering or complaining about the temperature. It wasn’t horribly cold, but the air was certainly crisp and nippy.

I approached the front steps of the temple, following Duke and Yugi, who were walking in the front of the pack. There was a bridge leading to the ice temple; a river and waterfall flowed under the bridge. The water’s surface hadn’t frozen over; the sound of it rushing was actually somewhat calming. I looked up at the mountains behind the temple. Everything was so white.

Inside, the temple’s walls were lit by isolated candles scattered here and there. I knew this temple was built somewhat like an arena- there were rooms built in a circle around a large, open center. So, where would Obelisk be hidden…

We exited the main hallway and looked down at the two branches of the temple that I knew formed a circle around the center room. It was a large temple, though; I felt that it would be more effective to split up, so I voiced this opinion.

Everyone else shrugged- nobody disagreed, so I headed down the hallway to the right- Joey and Tristan followed me, and everyone else went down the left hall.

We walked down the hallway. It was dark; the ice was very thick, so even its transparency didn’t allow for much sunlight- the corridors were dimly lit by isolated candles sticking off of the ice walls. It was somewhat cold in here. I was dressed appropriately, but mostly everyone else was not; Mokuba kept close to me, seeking warmth. Tristan and Joey walked in front of me.

“Can’t see a damn thing,” Tristan muttered, squinting through the mild darkness. “How’re we supposed to know where Obelisk is?”

Nobody answered him. I sighed. I began to wonder if the card was even here. Had Donno and Adella known that we had found the Slifer card? Maybe so, and then maybe they would have moved the other god cards. Removing them from their pedestals wouldn’t have hurt the Leviathan so badly… it would have less energy, but would still be able to go around destroying things. Maybe Donno and Adella were hiding the god cards. Or, was it ever even here? Dartz might have lied to us.

I then heard Mokuba gasp; I felt him leave my side. Confused and nervous, I turned around, and was stunned into shock when I saw that a man was trapping him; pinning Mokuba to the man’s side by a firm arm across his shoulders.

The man was tall and thin, dressed in elaborate robes not unlike Dartz’. He had straight, green hair that reached to his waist; and seafoam-colored eyes that had a sinister sort of confidence to them. This had to be Donno.

“Mokuba!” I shouted, lunging at them - the man lazily lifted his hand, and suddenly I stopped in my tracks. I couldn’t move; I was standing, but I was completely stuck, as though invisible ropes had wound around me, holding me to where I stood. I could speak, breathe… but not move at all.

Tristan and Joey came up next to me, shocked and scared; as soon as they got parallel to me, they, too, became affixed with the same problem I had. Mokuba, just feet from me, didn’t stir as I shouted his name; his head drooped over Donno’s arm. Was he unconscious? I could see him breathing peacefully, as though he were simply asleep… I had to get to him… I struggled against the invisible force that held me still, a prisoner in my own body. My attempts to get free were futile; I couldn’t move at all.

“Get away from him!” I yelled, with all of the power and venom I could possibly inject into my voice. Anyone else would have cowered at my tone… I saw, from the corners of my eyes, Tristan and Joey wince… but this damned spell made me useless to helping…

I had to wake him up. He could defend himself if he was awake- he had a scepter that could seriously wound Donno. What had Donno done to him? “Mokuba!” I shouted, as loudly as I could. He was only feet from me, but he didn’t stir… “Wake up! Wake up, please!”

He didn’t budge. Donno smiled at me; I read a horrible look in his eyes. A wave of biting cold and horror washed over me. “No!” I yelled. “Let him go! He’s only a child! Fight me instead!”

Donno ignored me; time slowed down considerably as I watched; still straining hopelessly against myself, needing to do something- anything- to stop what I knew was going to come. I watched in terrified shock as he simply placed his pointer finger almost gently to the side of Mokuba’s neck. There was a quick, blinding flash of light, and Donno released him- he crumpled to the floor. Donno seemed satisfied with himself.

“You dirty bastard!” Joey yelled. “This is cheating!”

Yeah!” Tristan said, just as angrily. “Challenge us to a duel or something!”

I could feel that my heart was literally stopped. I couldn’t have just seen that. That… was exactly what Cleito had described“No!” I shouted, and suddenly, I felt myself break free from the spell that held me captive; Donno, wide-eyed, gasped in surprise as I lunged at him, scepter in hand; he disappeared when I was mere inches from him.

“Get back here!” I roared into the darkness. “Get back here and fight me, you damned coward!”

My voice echoed through the room. I was jerked out of my swirling stupor by Tristan’s hands grabbing my shoulders; he was now in front of me, both hands on my shoulders, shaking me angrily, shouting, “He’s not coming back! We have to get out of here!”

I took a sharp breath and came back to myself; I felt myself go completely cold when I turned around and saw Joey leaning over Mokuba’s lifeless form, on the floor… I ran back to them and picked up my brother; he was completely limp, cold…

I couldn’t believe it. I couldn’t believe it. We ran out of the temple and I leapt into the transportation pod. In the blink of an eye, we were back in front of the castle. I kept running- I had to reach Cleito’s house. Not once did I feel out of breath… as far as I was concerned, it was only two steps, even though it was actually several hundred yards…

We entered the house; Cleito, immediately looking up at us and knowing what had happened, urgently ran up to me and gently but swiftly scooped Mokuba out of my arms. I didn’t want to let go of him. Putting him in the bed would mean there was even an atom of distance between us, and that was the worst thing in the world… in my arms, my brother was safest, warmest… but, I forced myself to let her have him, because she would make everything alright…

He was on the bed, now; Yugi and everyone who was in his group burst into the cottage- I assumed that Joey had ran after the other group, back in the temple, and told them what had happened. Cleito lifted her hands about five inches above his chest; a warm golden beam somehow not the same as the one that she had given Tristan zapped from her fingers and hit my brother; immediately his hands twitched and he took a shuddering breath, before falling still again. Relief swarmed my mind for a moment, but I knew that everything wasn’t okay… he was breathing again, but…

“He…he is not inside of his body,” she said slowly, looking up at me.

…I knew this, deep down, and yet, to hear her say it sent horrible shockwaves through me. Cleito might as well have shoved a knife through my heart; that would have hurt less than her words did… she had basically just said that Donno had… killed my baby brother… this was different than what Pegasus had done…

I stared at him, in the bed, eyes fixed on his face… willing him to wake up, willing him to open his eyes and smile at me, or say, “big brother!” or hug me… he didn’t move. He was completely still… barely breathing.

“Wake up,” I whispered, feeling hot tears burn at my eyes.

He didn’t. He didn’t move… just lied there, eyes closed.

My lip twitched. I had never felt so alone and cold. “P…please, wake up…” I felt my hands begin to tremble. My knees collapsed from under me; I felt them hit the ground, and now, I was kneeling down by the bed, face buried in the sheets, gripping them tightly, as quiet tears poured from my eyes. I didn’t care that the room was populated with Yugi and his friends. As far as I was concerned, I was alone. Perfect posture and emotionless mood gone, I quietly wept, here. For me, there was no light, in the world… I would have given everything I owned, every cent I was worth, to see him awake, and to hear him speak to me, for one more minute; I would have given my own soul to have his, back.

I heard rustling near me, and I lifted my head from the sheets. Cleito was here, looking sadly at me. “I’m sorry…” she said. “I can sustain him for… for a little while, but unless you get him back within a few days… there’s… nothing more I can do…”

I put my head back down onto the sheets. I was in more pain than I had ever been; every inch of me was aching violently as though hot knives were constantly stabbing me.

I felt a small pressure on my shoulder. I lifted my head slightly again and saw that Yugi was standing over me, gently resting his hand on my shoulder. Nobody had ever done that to me before… I didn’t know what to do. At any other instant, I would have thrown his hand off of me and demanded that he not touch me, but right now… right now, I didn’t care.

I said nothing to Yugi; only looked at him for a moment, and put my head back down. Yugi stayed that way for just a second longer before removing his hand and saying, “I’m so sorry…”

Those words, surprisingly, inspired a spark inside of me. Cleito could sustain Mokuba for a few days… well, that meant that we had a few days to get him back… this wasn’t the end. I just had to find those people and defeat them. I had to get him back; not sit here, sniveling…

Right! What was I doing? Proving right my outlook on life… that’s what I was doing! I was sitting here, bawling my stupid eyes out, letting emotion overwhelm me, which was doing nothing to solve this situation. I had to get back into that temple and fix this.

“Don’t feel sorry for me,” I told Yugi, voice deeper than usual, opening my eyes. “I will see to it that those people suffer… I will rip the life out of them.” I stood up, feeling nothing; not the warmth of the room or the weight of my coat. “Come on,” I told them all, as I passed them. “We have business in that temple.” They followed me out of Cleito’s house and back to where the trains were landed.

The train ride back to the North temple seemed to go by in a millisecond; my mind was a blur. Nothing was in my head other than the idea that I would never stop trying to get my brother back. Donno could fight me all he wanted- he would never win.

We reached the temple again; I leapt out of the train and led the group back across the icy bridge and inside. I felt completely numb; I knew it was cold, but I was completely cold on the inside, already…

I entered the front doors again. “I’m going this way,” I told the rest of them, immediately going down the same hallway.

I didn’t hear footsteps behind me- nobody was following me. Had I lost them? Well, screw them, then. Good that if we split up, we’ll cover more of this temple, faster. I kept walking.

The circular hallway branched off into another room. I looked at a large object on the other side of the room; across from where I was standing. It looked like some sort of a grave stone.

I approached it. Three swords were sticking up from a stone slab. Each of the stones had a different-colored gem in its handle. I frowned- the one in the middle was a sort of grassy green, the one on the right, dark blue, and the one on the left was red.

I remembered where I had seen these three colors here, before. They were the signature colors of the three Legendary Knights. The swords had held the dragons in their places, until Yugi, Joey and I had released them from the ice. So, what were the swords doing, here?

I saw that there was another door behind the stone. So, maybe I had to break open the door with a sword.

There had to be some sort of trick. Maybe the swords had some kind of enchantment on them that made it so I had to summon a monster, to remove them… or, maybe they had to be removed in a certain order… or, maybe only one could be removed.

I grasped the handle of Critias’ sword. Maybe the swords could only be removed by people who had once controlled the cards. I tugged at it; what felt like a jolt of electricity shot through my arm. I gasped in pain and stepped backwards, away from the sword; immediately, the sword stopped sparking.

I sighed, rubbing my hand. The pain was gone. So, there was a protection on the swords. But, I had to figure out what to do with them… I knew they were the keys to opening the door… and I could somehow feel that Obelisk was just in front of me. The swords were the only things that stood in my way.

I narrowed my eyes and looked down. Donno and Adella would put some kind of protection that they think nobody else would figure out… with only three swords, it was probably relatively simple; but, it had to feature some sort of information that nobody really knew.

I supposed I’d try another one of my ideas: maybe they had to be removed in a certain order. I tried to think back to the Atlantian history book that I’d read. Was there anything about the dragons? Maybe they had to be removed in the order that they were defeated. I decided to try that. Hermos was first. I took the handle and gently pulled upward; only to be afflicted with the same problem that I’d had with Critias’ sword. I swore and shook my hand; the electricity died down. So, Hermos’ sword was not supposed to be removed first, either.

Well, I thought, that left Timaeus. His sword was the one that should be removed first, right? I grasped that sword’s handle and pulled up; amazingly, the sword slid out of the ice. I laid it on the ground. So, what pattern would require Timaeus coming first? Timaeus was the last knight to be set in ice; he was the first knight to be freed. So, it appeared that either way, the pattern would be Timaeus, Critias, Hermos.

I put my hand on Critias’ sword handle and lifted up; it slid equally easily out of the pedestal. Yes. This was easy- Donno and Adella hadn’t counted on anyone knowing the minute detail of who had summoned the dragons first. Stupid. Hermos’ sword came quietly, too- the pedestal flashed, and the door in front of me disappeared.

Perfect.

The card was right in front of me, shining with incredible strength. I reached for it; I lifted it off of the pedestal where it had been rooted to supply power to the Leviathan. There was a sort of rumbling noise for a moment; then, everything became quiet. I smirked. The Leviathan now only had one more god card to suck power from.

I looked down at the card in my hand; it was as though I could feel a pulse within it. I had once held this card… Ishizu had given it to me. Yugi had won it in a duel against me, and I grudgingly knew that I had to return it to him. But, for now, I held it.

It was a spectacular card, pouring with power that rivaled my Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon. The card seemed to shine, even with the lack of light sources in this room… fueled by a mysterious power that it possessed, or, perhaps, fueled by my intense battle spirit, now. I knew where Donno was. It was time to destroy him.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment