Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 15 - Chapter Fifteen

Takes place in the middle of Season Five- right after the Grand Prix tournament, and before they go on the memory journey to Egypt. I hope you guys like it! I'm not used to writing fanfictions! X]

Chapter 15 - Chapter Fifteen

Chapter 15 - Chapter Fifteen
I slid open the ice doors and entered the center of the temple, where the three dragons had once stood. It was huge, entirely made of stone; the ceiling stood nearly fifty feet above my head, and the walls were a hundred feet on each side of me, now that I was standing in the middle of the room. Directly in front of me, there was a sort of ice throne; and sitting on it… was Donno.

“Seto Kaiba,” he said calmly.

In that second, I could have lunged forward and strangled him with my bare hands. I could have taken the knife in my pocket and plunged it into him. I stood in the middle of the room, hating him with every thread that held me together, as he stood up and approached me slowly.

“Where is my brother,” I asked poisonously, when he was a foot away from me. Donno smiled, calm and confident; as if expecting me to show up and challenge him. I was not surprised. He said, “You want his soul?”

It was everything I could do to not shred him to pieces. “Return him to me,” I said in the most threatening voice I possessed.

He frowned. “I won’t be so quick to give up the precious fuel that powers my beast,” he said, almost casually. “You’re brave to come here,” he said, lifting his hand again; again, I felt my limbs freeze. I knew what he was going to do. I was not afraid.

He lifted his hand and placed the tips of his fingers onto the middle of my chest. From what Cleito described, I knew that I should feel colder because of this… but, I didn’t. I felt nothing. He smiled. “Thank you for coming here,” he said. “You’ve been a great help.”

“That’s it?” I asked deeply, knowing that my heart would be stopped the instant he removed his hand. “You’re a coward. Are you afraid to fight me?”

His eyes narrowed; I assumed he wasn’t used to being stood up to. “Coward?” he asked, allowing a small smirk to creep onto his face. He removed his hand from me; I felt my breath catch in my chest for just a moment, but otherwise felt unhurt- he had cancelled his power. “Do you challenge me?”

I narrowed my eyes, too. He took that as a ‘yes,’ which was what I intended. He chuckled. “Okay, Seto Kaiba. If you’re interested in wasting my time, I will fight a duel with you.”

This was exactly what I had been wanting. He turned and walked a few feet away from me; I felt the immobilizing spell lift. My heart was pounding violently with vehemence. He stopped, turned around to face me again, and lifted a card; I immediately recognized the green symbol on it as the Seal of Orichalcos. I frowned; I realized suddenly what he was going to do.

“I might be convinced to part with your brother,” Donno continued slyly, still holding up the card. “Fight me, then; let our greatest monsters clash. This is a battle of history.”

“What do you mean, history,” I snarled. “I’m fighting for my brother. Fight me, and if I win, you must return him to me.”

He still smiled darkly at me. “So I hear you’re the reincarnated soul of the High Priest to the Pharaoh,” he said softly.

I frowned. This had nothing to do with Yugi’s Egyptian past. “You’re wasting my time. Don’t lecture me,” I said.

“You seem more like him every second. I don’t know quite what to believe about you; only that if you are the priest, then… ah, isn’t it ironic, that you lost your family in the past, as well?”

What was he talking about? “This has nothing to do with that!” I shouted. “Duel me!”

“You lost your mother as a child, so long ago… lost her to the shadows, as you have now lost your brother… sad. What a sad fate destiny has set for you.”

I scowled so very deeply. “Stop talking about that,” I said, furious; but then, it hit me; I knew where I had seen this man, before. I had dreamt about him, the night before we arrived in Atlantis. I had seen him in that… that memory of the past… this was the same man, the same man who had sent his men and monsters to burn my village, so very long ago.

“You asked for a fight; I accept your challenge. My duels are simple,” he said. “Choose four cards. Any four cards… magic cards, trap cards, monsters… the cards that you happen to trust. After four turns, whoever has the strongest monster, or the most effective magic cards to enhance their monster, wins.” He smiled; completely confident. …did he know that I possessed Obelisk the Tormentor? Four cards… I couldn’t help but feel confident, myself. This was perfect.

He pulled three more cards out of his shirt pocket. I took four out of my deck… X-head cannon, Y-Dragon cannon, and Z-metal cannon… and Obelisk the Tormentor. I knew just what I was going to do.

“Let us begin,” Donno shouted, holding up the card that depicted the Seal of Orichalcos. “Allow me to go first.”

There was a blinding flash of a forest-green light; it was as though wind had burst into the room. The ground shook mildly; from Donno’s feet spread a green circle that grew and passed under my feet. A wave of cold spread over me; I felt my breath catch in my chest for just a moment. We were both locked in the Seal now. This was the fifth time that I had ever been inside of it.

Donno was smiling as the rumbling and wind stopped; his hair stopped blowing around, and I felt my own hair fall back into place. Everything was still and silent, but the Seal shone at our feet.

“The game begins,” he said slyly. “You may play one card at a time during your turn. Pick a card; hope that it will sustain you.“

“I play Z-metal cannon in attack mode,” I said, holding up the card; the monster appeared in front of me. “Turn end.”

Donno chuckled. “A plain monster,” he said. “My beasts are infused with the power of the Orichalcos. This is no ordinary duel, Seto Kaiba. You may be a top contender in the world of Duel Monsters… but we are no longer in that world. “I play my first monster, Eye of Eldis, in attack mode.”

A monster appeared on his side of the field; it looked somewhat like a monster that Dartz had once used against me… in a sense, it was nothing but a giant, flying eyeball.

“It has zero attack points for right now,” he said casually, “but, thanks to the Orichalcos and its special ability, it is invincible for three turns. Your metal cannon cannot destroy it. Once those three turns are up, my Eldis will possess infinite attack points; it will be able to destroy any monster.” He chuckled. “I have yet to be defeated by anyone.”

I wasn’t moved. “I play Y-dragon cannon in defense mode,” I said, holding up that card; now the Y-dragon cannon appeared next to the Z-metal cannon.

Donno was clearly not afraid. He had no idea… he chuckled. “My, my, lucky you. I only bothered to put one monster in my deck; you might survive an extra turn, with another monster… but, I’d rather not drag this out. I play my third card; a magic card that permanently switches all of your monsters into attack mode.”

I frowned. Donno was making it so that it was almost pointless to include life points, in this game… it didn’t matter. His next turn would be the beginning of his downfall. “I play X-head cannon in attack mode,” I said. “When all three cannons are on the field, they can materialize together to form X-Y-Z Dragon Cannon… but, I choose not to let them materialize. I see no point in it.”

My third monster appeared on my side of the field. Donno chuckled. “A cute group of monsters, there, Kaiba. Why not let them materialize... ah, I see. More monsters for me to destroy. Drag this out for as long as you wish. I’m glad you see no point.”

I smirked slightly. He had misread me. I chose not to let them materialize because, completely truthfully, it was utterly pointless; the monsters served as perfect sacrifices to Obelisk the Tormentor, fused or not. Why not let him think I was ‘dragging this out…’

“But, I don’t wish to continue the duel for longer than we have to. Really. So, I play my final card- a spell; Diffusion Wave Motion. When my Eldis gains its infinite attack power on my next turn, it will destroy all of your monsters at once. Good-bye, Seto Kaiba.” He chuckled. “Enjoy your last turn.”

I frowned. To anyone who didn’t possess a card that could defeat everything Orichalcos-related, this duel would have been completely unfair. The god card was in my hand; it was the only card left in my hand. I could feel its power surging through me. “Very well,” I told him.

He frowned. “How can you be so confident…”

I held up the god card. “I sacrifice my three monsters to summon Obelisk the Tormentor!”

“So… you found the god card,” Donno said uneasily. He was finally breaking; I could see sweat on his forehead. He frowned deeper. “I’d like to see you try to use it. You won’t be the first fool that I’ve battled to try to summon a god card and fail- the god cards can only destroy the Orichalcos if you can actually summon them. You wasted your choice.”

“Nice try,” I sneered. “I have controlled Obelisk before. The gods obey me. I’m not a scrub duelist, like the ones you’ve fought before. You say you’d like to see me try to use it? I’d be happy to satisfy you.”

Donno’s eyebrows knitted. “You can’t control the god cards. Only the Pharaoh’s chosen people can control the god cards. Only those who possess Millennium Items.”

“Descend to Earth, Obelisk the Tormentor!” I yelled triumphantly, holding the card as high as my arm could reach; there was a tremendous roar, and the ground beneath our feet rumbled significantly more violently than it did when the Orichalcos was first played. It was as if a bolt of lightning had struck the ground, ten feet in front of me; through the intense light, I could hardly see that Donno was staring, wide-eyed, in horror, at me. “How… can you control the god cards without a Millennium Item…when not even I can,” he stammered. “You... you are the Great Priest, right-hand advisor of the Pharaoh…”

I paid little attention to him. I saw, in front of me, the incredible form of Obelisk the Tormentor materialize in front of me. I was laughing proudly; I beamed in victory as my glorious beast shot its fist forward, going right through his pathetic monster and socking the man head-on. He cringed and flinched as Eldis disappeared; its ‘invincibility’ was granted by the Orichalcos, and thus, vanished when shown the face of Obelisk. An incredible burst of light exploded from Obelisk’s fist; the stupid duel was over. I had won; it had been fantastic and simple.

The light from Obelisk’s attack began to die down, but I was already running away from my side of the battlefield; running towards Donno, who had now fallen to his knees. I grabbed the front of his shirt and lifted him to my eye level; “where is my brother?” I shouted. The light of the seal was intense as it slowly contracted closer and closer to us; I knew it wouldn’t harm me, the victor; but Donno was doomed, and in his last seconds of life I had to get the truth out of him.

He said nothing; only half-grinned at me. “Where is my brother?” I yelled again, shaking him violently. “Give me his soul, you bastard! Give him to me!”

The seal was getting closer; I could see my hands turn green as the light from the seal’s edges reflected over everything. I was running out of time. Finally, Donno spoke… he laughed. With his last bits of energy, he chuckled, “I don’t know why… I didn’t see it… and immediately believe it before. You are the Great Priest… who followed in the footsteps of royalty. I recognize your eyes; that look of pure, deep hatred… that you gave me… thousands of years ago.” He laughed again; my blood curdled. “Your brother? You’ll never see him again. The Leviathan will awaken. The end of the world is nigh.”

And with that, his eyes closed and head slumped forward; there was a blinding light and I felt as though a giant invisible hand had socked me in the stomach, sending me flying backwards, wrenching my hands off of Donno’s shirt. Sitting on the floor, feet away, I watched as the seal finally constricted around him; with another blinding flash of green light, the seal was gone, and he crumpled to the floor. It was over; he was gone, soul lost to the Great Beast, killed by the power he had tried to harness.

I swore under my breath and pushed myself off of the floor, and approached his body. I was now standing over him, swarmed with the utmost abhor… I had defeated him, but what good had it done me? If anything, we were now in worse shape, because Adella could easily control the Leviathan by herself, and now, Donno’s soul fed it, so it was stronger, too…

I bent down over him. The large Orichalcos stone fastened to his chest, which gave him the power to control the seal, was dully flashing. I tore it off of his shirt and turned around to face Yugi and Joey; they had just entered the room and were approaching me.

“You were in a duel with that guy? Nice @$$-kicking, Kaiba,” Joey said, giving me a thumbs-up. I frowned at him. “He told me nothing,” I growled.

Now the Pharaoh frowned. “I wondered if he would have kept a promise,” he said slowly.

I held the stone out to the Pharaoh. “Will we ever have a need for this?” I asked him. “Do you want it?”

He said nothing; only took it from me and pocketed it. My heart was racing furiously. Now what should we do? Find Adella …yes. She was in that far-away temple; so, then, we would go there. The Ra card would be there, too.

“We must go to the third temple,” the Pharaoh said. “Once we have all three of the god cards, we can defeat the Leviathan. We are getting close.” He smiled kindly at me; I didn’t return the emotion. “I’m glad you found the second god card, Kaiba,” he said. “It appeared to have just saved you in that duel?”

“Saved me? I was saved by the fact that Donno is a load of bullshoot,” I growled.

“’Ey, don’t worry, Kaiba. We’ll find Mokuba. Adella’s keepin’ him somewhere, and we’ll find him,” Joey said, flashing a grin at me, in what was perhaps an attempt to make me feel enthusiastic about following him and Yugi to the third temple. I frowned at him. “Yes,” I replied, and followed them out of this room.

We were halfway down the hallway, leading to the exit of the temple, when there was a roar in a nearby room, signaling that monsters still roamed this temple. Yugi and Joey stopped in their tracks and pulled their scepters out of their back pockets; I frowned. “Yuge! We gotta kill those things!” Joey shouted.

“Yes,” the Pharaoh said urgently. I raised an eyebrow at them both; the Pharaoh said, “these creatures are easy to defeat, and the more fragments of the Orichalcos Stone we can defeat, the weaker it will become.”

Yugi and Joey bolted into a room to our right. I sighed and turned to follow them, pulling my own scepter out of my back pocket, before I heard a crash in the room to our left; I went in there, instead, sure that I could defeat a few monsters on my own. I had become rather good at it.

There were a few in this room. I shot the bright blue laser from my scepter at one; it vanished. I had now attracted the attention of the several others; all of them lunged at me.

I zapped them all blindly with the blue laser, aware of nothing but the fact that the faster that I got rid of these things, and the faster that we left this temple and went to the third, the sooner I would see Mokuba again. Monsters kept coming… I hadn’t realized there were so many in here. This was a relatively large room; I assumed that Joey and Yugi were fighting this many, as well… maybe they had even more? Who knew.

I was surrounded by a swarm of monsters. I was fighting them off relatively well; keeping them at a decent distance from me. I had never seen so many at once, but I was fueled by a fire, now… this wasn’t so many.

I had now destroyed all of the monsters in front of me; I turned around and was stunned to see one last monster right behind me, raising its clawed arm; I lifted my scepter to blast it, but its arm was moving down, so quickly, faster than I was…

I cringed; …but no attack ever came.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment