Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 14 - Together Forever

It's the most wonderful time of the year... or is it?...christmas in not the only thing lurking around the corner, as inu and his mate, kag, will learn. Their new foe has many gifts for them, all wrapped in silver bows.

Chapter 14 - Together Forever

Chapter 14 - Together Forever
~*~

A long, loud, silenced pressed against the two women's ears.

"C-Can't. . .?" Kagome repeated softly, totally bewildered. "What do you mean, you CAN'T?!"

"Kagome, dear," the goddess whispered, her eyes slowly filling with tears. "I understand how hard this must be for you to understand, especially with- "

"No! He'll get better, I know he will!" the ebony haired girl cried frantically.

Selene slowly shook her head as she rose to her feet, silently walking out the door. "I'm sorry, Kagome. I can't do anything."

*

"It won't end this way. . ." Kag choked, clutching Inu-Yasha's icy hand tightly in hers. "I won't let it end this way. . ."

She squeezed her eyes tightly shut, trying to block a fresh round of tears as the heart monitor- - -

That gods forsaken heart monitor- - -

Let loose a final-

Long-

Low-

'Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep'.

The girl's eyes snapped open. "No. . ." she whispered. "No. . ."

Yes.

Inu-Yasha was gone.

"No!" Kagome sobbed, "Inu-Yasha, don't you dare leave me! You can't!"

But he had.

He. . .

Was gone. . .

Getting shakily to her feet, the wolf looked down at her icy white mate.

He had really left her. . .

He had left her all alone. . .

Her and. . .

And. . .

. . .He was really gone. . .

Burying her face in her hands and letting out a heart wrenching sob, Kag locked a suddenly angry glare on the white rose that still lay on the bedside table.

That- that stupid goddess!

Why didn't she help?!

She could have saved him!

She could have!

'I HATE YOU, SELENE!' Kagome mentally screamed, unable to get the words to come out of her mouth.

Her voice was stuck.

So instead, she reached over to grab the innocent flower, preparing to tear it to shreds-

When her eyes fell on a carefully hidden scrap of paper, blocked from view by the milky blossom.

Kag's tear filled orbs widened slightly. 'A. . . note?'

As if the Moon Goddess had known she was going to reduce that stupid rose to silky strips of petal-

She had concealed a letter for her.

Reaching out with trembling fingers, the ebony haired teen carefully picked up the delicate piece of pearly white parchment.

~It has saved you times before

It can save you once again

Ears are open; eyes are closed

Hearts torn apart will mend

Until the bright moon rises

Hearts torn apart can mend~

Kagome blinked, causing a single tear to fall on the thin piece of paper, smearing the midnight-blue ink.

'A. . . A riddle. . . Just. . . Like the Trial. . .' she thought, clutching the note to her chest, her heart pounding wildly. 'Do I still have a chance to save him. . .?'

"But. . . what could it mean?" Kag whispered to herself as her knees crumpled beneath her.

"Stupid girl," a female's voice scoffed from behind her. "Isn't it obvious?"

*

Kagome whipped around in surprise to see two woman standing underneath the doorframe.

One was a little girl the werewolf had never scene before. The child had pale white hair, adorned in identical flowers. Her brown eyes half-lidded and glazed over, she look as if she was watching someone or something else while looking at Kagome.

The second woman she readily recognized.

It was her boss from the Neko Coffee Club.

"Ms. Kagura?" she gasped in shock. "What are you doing here. . .?! How do you- What's going on?"

Kagura sighed deeply, pushing a strand of her short, dark brown hair behind her ear. "I'll make a long story short. Basically, hon, we were working for Naraku all along."

Kag's eyes widened to the size of dinner plates as she quickly scrambled off the floor, blocking Inu-Yasha from their view. "I- I won't let you touch him, you scum! GO AWAY!"

"Sweetie, please," the older woman glared, her maroon eyes flashing in annoyance. "What the frack could we do to him to make his situation worse? If you haven't realized it, he's already dead."

"Wow, you're the fountain of all subtlety, aren't you?" the werewolf snarled, her voice icy. "I did realize that, THANK YOU."

"Chill," Kagura sighed. "Look, we really came to thank you for killing our father."

Kagome started, her murderous expression changing into one of curiosity. "Father. . .?"

"Naraku. shootty bastard. Never liked him."

The little girl next to her nodded once.

"Anyway," the maroon-eyed female continued, "since you helped us, we're helping you."

"Helping. . . me?"

"Well, YEAH, hon. We didn't just drop by for the hell of it."

Kagome cocked her head in curiosity as she squeezed her dead mate's hand for comfort.

Not that it really helped much. . .

"So," Kagura added, cracking a piece of gum, "you gonna be smart and piece together that clue yet? 'Cause from what Selene told me, you're pretty good at riddles."

"You. . . know the Moon Goddess. . .?"

"We're one fourth werewolf," the little girl whispered, her voice as quiet as a gentle breeze. "We've met her once or twice. . ."

"She told us about the trial right before we came in here," the older female put in. "You figured out the hint then. Figure it out now."

"Aren't you supposed to be helping me?" Kagome retorted dryly, wiping her sore eyes.

"We all know you can do it on your own," the white haired female murmured.

"Kanna's right," Kagura added, nodding in emphasis as she took out a fan and cooled herself off.

Kag flopped to the floor, resting her head on her chin in deep thought.

"You have until the moon rises tonight," Kanna whispered, her voice echoing through the silence of the room.

"I caught that part," Kagome retorted, hiding her face as her hands clenched into fists of determination.

'I'll figure this out, Inu-Yasha! I'd do anything for you. Just like. . . you'd do anything for me. . . I can do this!'

*

'It has saved you once before. . .'

The ebony haired girl strained her brain, nearly ripping her hair out as she bit her lip in thought- the words continually repeating through her mind.

'What the hell could she mean. . .?!' Kagome growled in frustration. 'It saved us once before. . .'

"Hon, it's really not hard at all," Kagura sighed, sitting next to her employee.

"Well, if you have any words of wisdom, I'd be happy to hear them!" Kag snapped irritably, her stormy orbs never leaving Inu's closed ones.

Though it was rather distracting. . .

Knowing that if she didn't figure this out. . .

He'd never open those eyes again.

. . .

But. . .

But if she moved her tear-filled orbs. . .

They might fall on the window.

And she was terrified to see how much longer she had 'til dark.

She was slowly running out of time. . .

"Down, girl," the elder woman rolled her eyes. "Look, I'm sorry, but we're not allowed to straight out tell you."

"We can't save him. . ." Kanna murmured.

"Stop saying that!" Kagome screamed, clasping her hands over her ears; squeezing her eyes tightly shut as more tears threatened to fall.

'He *can* be saved!

He has to be!

We're supposed to be together forever!

We promised. . .

I promised. . .'

~"Oh, love, my Kag-chan. . ." he whispered, nuzzling her cheek and kissing her neck. "I know. . . I'm sorry. . . I'm just so afraid I'll lose you. . ."

He sighed again and rested his head on top of her's. "I just love you so much, it hurts sometimes. . ."

Kagome buried her face into Inu's chest, holding him as close as she could. "I love you too," she murmured, sparkling tears still spilling down her cheeks. "Don't worry, Inu-chan. We'll be together forever. . ."

"I hope so," he replied, tightening his arms around her as she kissed him.

"I know so."~

Bangs covering her eyes, Kagome hugged herself tightly, shaking in silent tears.

'You were afraid you'd lose me. . .

But now it's the other way around, Inu-chan. . .

I'm about to lose you. . .

Forever. . .'

She clasped her hands to her chest, clenching the fabric of her clothes so tightly that she could feel her nails pierce her palms through the cloth.

'My heart. . .

It hurts so much. . .'

~ He sighed again and rested his head on top of her's. "I just love you so much, it hurts sometimes. . ."

Kagome buried her face into Inu's chest, holding him as close as she could. "I love you too," she murmured, sparkling tears still spilling down her cheeks.~

'What is the answer, Inu-Yasha?

What can I do?

How can I save you?

Someone, please tell me how!'

"Kagome. . .?" Kagura's voice broke through her thoughts.

She sounded slightly. . .

Nervous. . .

"What?" the ebony haired teen whispered, her voice catching in her throat. "What is it. . .?"

"Look out the window. . ."

No. . .

She didn't want to. . .

But. . .

Trembling slightly, she turned to see that the sky was pitch black- - -

And a round-

Bright-

Silver-blue moon was slowly rising.

"Oh my God. . ." she whispered, her eyes widening in fear.

'No! I'm about to lose my only chance- - -!'

"No!" she sobbed as she collapsed on Inu's chest.

As she cried, she forgot about Kagura and Kanna, who were still watching her.

She forgot about the hospital, and the machines, and the disgusting smell, too.

She forgot about her pack.

Her family.

Her friends.

She forgot about everything-

Everything except herself and her icy white mate.

"You can't leave me, Inu-Yasha. . ." she whispered into his cold chest as the moon- "I-"

Slowly-

"-love-"

Crossed-

you. . .!"

The horizon line.

"I love you, Inu-Yasha!" she screamed, her hot tears soaking his hospital gown. "I can't figure out the fracking clue, but I love you! I love you so much. . . Don't leave me. . . I love you!"

Her face pressed tightly to her love's chest as her sobs reduced to hiccups-

Kag's eyes suddenly widened.

Wait-

Oh my god.

Was that-

Was that a-

A heart beat?!

"FINALLY!" Kagura's voice cried from somewhere far away. "You got it!"

But Kagome didn't hear her.

Her attention was now completely on her koi- - -

Completely locked on him. . .

As his heart monitor. . .

Slowly. . .

Ever so slowly. . .

Began beeping again.

Stronger then ever before.

The wolf's breath caught in the throat.

He. . .

He was. . .

Alive. . .

Inu-Yasha was alive!

Gasping, Kagome slowly loosened her grip on his chest.

'Oh my God. . .'

~"I just love you so much, it hurts sometimes. . ."

"I love you too. . ."~

'Inu-Yasha. . .'

~"Inu-Yasha," Kagome panted softly, laying on top of the teen.

"I lied. I don't like you. I. . I love you. . ."

He looked up into her wide, innocent azure eyes.

Time seemed to stop as the two lay together in each other's arms, eyes locked, and the words of an all-too-familiar poem echoing simultaneously through their minds.

*The first time I saw you, I was afraid to touch you.

The first time I touched you, I was afraid to kiss you.

The first time I kissed you, I was afraid to love you. *

"I love you, too," Inu-Yasha whispered, kissing her again as the two gave into temptation.

*But now I love you and am afraid to lose you.* ~

'You. . .'

~"He is NOT! I LOVE HIM!"

This pushed Kikyo over the edge- her patience disintegrating on the spot.

"You fool," she hissed, leaning so close to Kagome that the shorter girl fell backward. "YOU IDIOT!"

Raising her claw like nails to Kag's throat, the taller girl almost pounced on Kagome, snarling like a wolf.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK HE IS?!" she screamed, causing Kagome to quiver in fear. "SOME SWEET, KIND HUMAN?! YOU'RE WRONG, dog! YOU'VE NEVER BEEN MORE WRONG! HE'LL NEVER LOVE YOU! EVER!"

"You're a liar," Kagome hissed back, her courage wavering but her heart pushing her on. "You're a liar! He loves me and I love him and I want you out of my house this INSTANT!"~

'You're alive. . .'

~He looked at her, a single tear falling down his face. "Do I scare you?"

Kagome's eyes softened as she hugged Inu gently to her. "No. I love you."

"I love you, too," he whispered, nuzzling into her shoulder and breathing in her sweet scent. . . the scent of tiger lilies on a full moon night. . .~

'Could it be. . .'

~"And that," the werewolf whispered, "is why you shouldn't take the Trial. You'd die."

"No I wouldn't. What are the chances of survival?"

"One out of one billion."

"Are you exaggerating?"

"No."

The look in Inu-Yasha's serious eyes told her this was the truth.

"Well then, I'll be the first in a billion," she shrugged.

"Kagome, listen to yourself!" the werewolf cried. "You're talking like this is a game! It's not! I don't want to lose you!"

"And I don't want to lose you!" Kagome replied, tears beginning to fall down her cheeks again as she slammed her fist to the ground to emphasize her words. "I love you too much! I WILL take the Trial, and you can't stop me!"

Inu-Yasha gazed into her determined eyes.

There was nothing he could do to stop her.

He bit his lip as a single tear ran down his cheek.

"I love you too. . ."

Kagome smiled a watery smile before pressing her lips to his, ignoring the blood that stained her clothes as they kissed.

She wouldn't fail.

She would become a werewolf.

She loved him.~

'Be because. . .'

~Kagome nodded slowly. "How are his injuries. . .?"

Sango's grim look darkened. "Not good. He got beaten up pretty badly in a fight against the pack officials. . . But he's alive. He'll heal. Don't worry."

"How can I not worry?!" Kag cried. "He's hurt! He could be dying!"

"Come the full moon, so could you!" Sango replied fear in her eyes. "Kagome- chan, are you sure you-"

"I am sure, Sango," Kagome cut off swiftly. "I love him, and for him I'll fight the odds."

The werewolf took a deep breath and nodded, slowly getting up. "If that's what you want. . . then I wish you the best of luck. You know I'll be rooting for you."

The girls smiled at each other before Sango briskly took her leave.

Kagome listened intently until she heard the downstairs door close quietly.

Flopping back on her bed, the teen carefully picked up her picture of Inu- Yasha and hugged it close to her heart.

'I love you, Inu-Yasha. . .'~

'Our love. . .?'

~"Do. . . do you trust me?"

Inu was slightly surprised by this question, but shook it off. "Of course I trust you. I trust you completely."

The girl looked down at the knife still in her hands.

"Then please. . . trust my actions," she whispered, tears falling from her eyes and landing with soft splashes on the knife.

With a trembling hand, Kagome raised the knife and made a small, shallow cut on Inu-Yasha's bottom lip before doing the same thing to herself.

"Kagome. . .?"

"Trust me," she murmured softly before pressing her lips to his in a gentle kiss- sweet with the metallic taste of their blood.

As their trembling lips left each other, Kag stepped closer and wrapped her arms around him as he wrapped his arms around her.~

'Our trust. . .?'

~"I'm so sorry, Inu-Yasha," the girl whispered softly, pulling away from him.

"It's all right," he whispered back, kissing her tears away.

Staring deep into his eyes, Kag raised the knife and brought it down again-

Right into Inu-Yasha's heart.~

'Our bond. . .?'

~"Kagome. . ." the silver hared werewolf murmured hoarsely, looking up at the sobbing girl though half lidded eyes. "I. . . understand. . ."

The girl bit her lip as tear continued to fall down her face.

"I. . .trust you. . . I love you. . ."

"I love you too, Inu-Yasha. . ." Kagome choked out, ignoring the blood that was soaking her clothes.

Inu-Yasha smiled slightly through his pain.~

'Was that the answer to the riddle. . .?'

~She had killed him, but he still trusted her- loved her.

Gods, she loved him!

Sobbing so hard that the ground around her was slowly becoming mud, Kagome raised the knife once more.

Time to complete this stupid Trial!

With one swift movement, Kag pierced the blood stained knife through her own heart.

She was dead in an instant.~

' 'It has saved you once before. . .' '

~"Why would I want to escape?"

"Because I was going to kill you!"

"But I trusted you. I still trust you," he replied gently, brushing a strand of her hair from her face.

"You trusted me enough to murder you?" she whispered, a tear running down her face.

"Yes."

She smiled softly. "I love you."

He grinned back. "I love you too. More then life itself."

"Bad pun," Kag glared playfully, laughing.

"But true," he growled huskily in her ear as he nuzzled her.

And the two became mates in the field of summer flowers, under the soft glow of the early morning autumn sun.~

'Yes. . .'

~"Everything will be okay. . ."

"How can you be so sure?" he asked softly as she looked into his eyes.

"Because we've got you to protect us," she smiled filling his worried heart with love as she tapped him on the nose and captured his lips in a gentle embrace.~

'Our love has gotten us through so much. . .'

~"I love you so much, koishii. . ." Inu whispered huskily as he reached her ear and nibbled gently on it, sending chills of pleasure down Kag's spine.

"I love you too," she replied, wrapping her arms around him and locking their lips in a heated kiss, allowing their tongues to resume their dance as she pushed him against the bed, their legs becoming tangled in sheets.~

'And it will continue to. . .'

~"So do you feel better?" Kagome softly asked her mate, cuddling closer to his body and scent for warmth.

Inu-Yasha sighed quietly, a small smile on his face. "Yeah. . . but. . ."

"Don't worry so much," she whispered, her eyes lightly closed as she pulled the quilt to her chin. "Everything will be okay in the end. . . Don't fret each little thing and face the day when it comes. . ."

"I'll try. . ."

"Then we'll make it though."~

'Because. . . My Inu-Yasha. . .'

~"And I love you, too," he murmured, planting a soft kiss on her forehead as they made their way downtown.

She blushed and kissed him back, feeling better then she had.~

'You're alive again!'

Beaming through her crystalline tears, Kagome began to laugh in thrilled disbelief as Inu-Yasha's eyes- momentarily lavender but quickly fading to gold- slowly fluttered open.

"Inu-Yasha. . ." she whispered breathlessly, joy coursing through her body. "You've really come back to me!"

"Keh," he coughed weakly, smiling softly through his oxygen mask. "Did you really think I'd let a bastard like Naraku take me down?"

"You're an idiot!" Kag laughed, pressing her body as close to his as she could. "God- I love you, you moron!"

"I love you too, Kag-chan," he grinned tiredly, gingerly running a hand through his mate's hair as she- for the umpteenth time that night- began to cry.

But this time it was due to happiness.

*

Kagura and Kanna watched silently from the hall way with the Moon Goddess; having snuck out of the room when the couple wasn't looking.

"Oh, Kagome, Inu-Yasha," Selene smiled, her eyes twinkling happily as she silently closed the door to the room. "I told you before, I'll tell you once more. Love is never easy- but again you've passed the test. I couldn't be prouder of you. . ."

"You know, you're a terrible liar," Kagura commented, eyeing the goddess incredulously. "You said that there wasn't a way to save him."

"I never said that," she frowned.

"Yes, you did!"

"I said," the deity retorted firmly, "'I can't'. And that was true. There was no way for me to revive him. Only Kagome could. Love is stronger then most people give it credit for. . ."

A small, half-smile flickered across Kanna's face as a moment of silence passed though the group.

"Now," the Moon Goddess suddenly announced, clapping her hands in a business like fashion. "Only one more thing for me to do."

She smiled kindly at the sisters before her.

"I thought I'd allow you each a wish, since you changed your ways and decided- rather wisely- not to follow in your father's footsteps."

Kagura and Kanna glanced at one another in surprise.

This was unexpected. . .

"Well?" Selene beamed.

"I. . . I. . . Well, I want my coffee shop to be successful," Kagura admitted with a shrug. "To hell with gold and gems and all that shoot. Damn- I wouldn't even care if I was run over by a car as soon as I left this hospital. But. . . I kinda like the Neko Coffee Club. I'd like to see it prosper."

"And you, Kanna?"

The younger girl blinked slowly up at the goddess.

". . . Mirror shop. . . I want to own a mirror shop."

The deity laughed quietly, clasping the two females on the shoulder.

"You are both surprising people."

Shaking her head, Selene gently kissed both on the cheek.

"Very well. Both your wishes will be granted."

The sisters smiled at one another before slowly walking for the elevators, leaving the beaming woman behind them.

But then, just before the elevator door shut, one spoke up.

"Oh- Selene?" Kagura called.

The goddess nodded her acknowledgment.

"Um. . . About that being hit by a car thing. . . I was just kidding. . ."

The Moon Goddess chucked.

"Don't worry."

With a final, relieved smile, the maroon-eyed woman pressed the 'close door' button and the siblings disappeared from sight.

"May the moon light lead your way

Through each passing year," Selene whispered as her rose scented wind began to swirl, causing her to fade from view.

"And if we should meet again, I pray

May your eyes be free of tears."

Her bodiless giggle echoed through the halls of the hospital.

"Good luck, all of you . . ."

*

~Christmas Eve~

Sango and Miroku lay together in the dark, legs tangled in sheets and other limbs.

"Glad you're feeling better," Miroku grinned as he planted a kiss on his mate's nose.

Sango smiled back, brushing a strand of the male's hair out of his face. "I'm glad too. Glad I'm feeling better, glad Inu-Yasha's okay, glad everything worked out in the end. . ."

"Of course everything worked out in the end," Miroku chuckled, tightening his grip around his koi. "The good guys always win."

The female laughed and gently whacked her mate over the head. "Idiot. This isn't a fairy tale."

"No," he agreed, nuzzling her neck. "But sometimes things feel so perfect you think this could be. . ."

"Like now?" Sango beamed, tenderly kissing Miroku's cheek.

"Like now," he agreed, capturing the girl's lips with his own.

*

Kagome watched her mate's peaceful sleeping face, her heart feeling as if it would burst with love.

She still couldn't believe how close she'd come to losing him. . .

Sighing, she shook off her morbid feelings and instead twirled a piece of his silver hair around her finger, gently blowing on his face.

She giggled as his nose twitched.

"Gmnphmn. . ." the half wolf grumbled as she blew on him again. "Stoooop iiiit. . ."

"No," she whispered, a wide smile blossoming on her lips. "Not until you wake up."

"Mmph. . ." he groaned, one amber eye opening half way. "Can't it wait until morning. . .?"

"No. I'm impatient."

Sighing, he completely opened his golden orbs and twisted until he faced Kagome, resting his chin on a hand.

"All right, what is it?"

She giggled and suddenly pounded on the boy, surprising him as she began nuzzling his neck and rubbing his nose in an affectionate fashion. "I love you. . ."

"I love you, too," he smiled, linking hands with his mate and kissing her cheek. "But couldn't you have waited to say that until morning?"

"No. I told you, I'm impatient. And," she added, her eyes twinkling in the moon light pouring through the window. "I have a surprise. . ."

His eyebrows raising in curiosity, Kagome giggled as his ears twitched.

"A surprise. . .?"

"A Christmas present."

"Again, can't it wait until morning?"

"No. For the third time- I'm impatient. So come on."

Hopping out of bed, the ebony haired girl tugged her mate to his feet; their hands locked as she led him into the living room.

Gently pushing Inu-Yasha onto the couch, Kag flicked on the Christmas tree, softly lighting the room with the glowing of iridescent colors.

Then she sat next to Inu on the couch, snuggling into his side.

"Well?" he smirked playfully. "Where's my present?"

Kagome grinned back as pushed herself to her knees.

He couldn't have phrased his question any better.

Gently taking Inu-Yasha's hand, she pressed it to her abdomen.

"Here."

His eyes widened as he looked from his hand to his mate's beaming face.

Kag giggled as he stuttered incoherently.

"You- You're-?"

She nodded happily, squealing in delighted surprise as Inu swept her up in his arms and kissed her continuously, a huge smile on his face.

"I take it you like your gift. . .?" the girl giggled as she wrapped her arms around her mate, snuggling into his chest.

"I love it," he murmured, nuzzling her neck lovingly, gently placing his hand over her abdomen again. "And gods, I love you, Kag-chan."

"I love you, too," she whispered through happy tears. "I love you so much. . . I can't stand to think. . . what might have happened. . ."

"But it doesn't matter now, does it?" he smiled, kissing her gently. "Because we'll be together forever."

Kagome beamed back as she covered his hands with her own. "Yes. We'll all be together forever. . ."

~*~

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

tkfblack276 on November 18, 2007, 12:23:24 PM

tkfblack276 on
tkfblack276AWWWWW!!! I luv the ending!! Please continue the story!! It's awesome and it's sad to see it go!