Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Untitled

This was actually for school. (We were studying myths). It's supposed to explain why wolves howl...

Chapter 1 - Untitled

Chapter 1 - Untitled


Wolf Song





Dashing through the dense forest were three figures, two wolves and a girl. The wolves were of pure white hue, a ghostly glow framing their form. Eyes of bright amber scanned the path ahead, tongues lolling out in the joy of running. The girl, racing alongside the wolves, was around the age of fifteen. Around her neck, bouncing as she ran, was a wolf talon attached to a leather strap, the symbol of her powers. Her skin was a rich, creamy tan, glowing with youth. Her ivory hair, shimmering in the moonlight that filtered through the canopy, rippled like a banner in the wind as she ran, her long legs stretching out further with each stride. From the sides of her head grew two pointed ears, like the wolves that padded so swiftly ahead. Also like the wolves, her eyes were a bright amber, flecked with crimson, brimming with happiness. Her delicate fingers were tipped, not with fingernails, but long, sharpened claws. Her pink lips opened in a warm smile, revealing her canine-like fangs, the top almost two inches in length. She was Lupene, goddess of the wolves. The two ahead were Praedius and Amonese, half gods, accepted by Zeus to serve Lupene. Pausing, the wolves lifted their muzzles to the sky, sniffing the crisp air, cold from the nights frost. The girl too stopped, looking admiringly down at her two wolves. Praedius, the larger, and older of the two, shifted his gaze towards Lupene, his lips lifted in a wolven smile. Amonese, younger brother of Praedius, kept his eyes on the treetops, watching a squirrels movements carefully as it dashed through the branches high above. Suddenly, a loud thunder sounded through the forest. Lupenes ears pricked, eyes full of worry. Amonese decided the squirrel was less important and barked out a warning to the cause of the noise. Praedius joined in, adding snarls and grunts into the threat. Lupene, now more curious then worried, called off the two, and began to trot after the source of the thunder. In only minutes, she and the wolves came upon a large man, a scruffy beard and mustache, a gun in his hand. He turned his reddened gaze upon the girl and wolves, mouth agape in fear. Lupene, being the more curious of the three, took a step forward, barking a hello. The man, misinterpreting this as a threat, lifted his gun. Praedius quickly realized what was about to happen and dashed in front of the goddess. The gun was fired, hitting Praedius in the chest. Falling to the ground in a bleeding heap, he whimpered a final note of love to Lupene, giving her a wolf smile. The light quickly faded from his once glowing eyes, leaving them a dull yellow. Rage blinded Lupenes` common sense, and she sprang upon the man, who was quivering in fear and shock. She bared her fangs, lodging them into his neck. A loud cracking sound was emitted as she broke his spinal column, wiping his life away in an instant. Falling to the ground, she looked back at Praedius, tears forming in her eyes. “Oh, Praedius…” She whimpered, stroking the dead wolf's head. Amonese padded over to her, giving her gentle, comforting licks. Lupene bent down, placing a kiss upon Praedius's furry, white cheek, before reaching around her neck and untying the leather strap. Placing it around Amonese's neck, she smiled down at him. “I am much too upset to continue my duties for the time being, but I promise to return again. Until then, you are Amonese, God of the wolves.” She stroked his silvery back, staring into his saddened, amber eyes. Slowly, her form faded into a whisp of fog. Amonese, shocked at this, lifted his muzzle, howling into the night, begging her to return. He pricked his ears, listening for a reply, but none came. The knowledge of his new duties warmed the sadness in him, and he lifted his muzzle regally, thrusted his chest out, tassle high in dominance. He was now God of the wolves, and must fulfill this, in memory of Lupene. And from then on, every night, Amonese and his followers would howl into the dark sky, begging Lupene to return and rule them once again.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Torch_Phoenix on September 5, 2005, 8:39:10 PM

Torch_Phoenix on
Torch_PhoenixWow o-o...that is...beautiful....