Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - a Festival for the Fireflies

life stories are a great way for me to describe the character's personality.
All are original characters!!!

Chapter 4 - a Festival for the Fireflies

Chapter 4 - a Festival for the Fireflies
Mom was a very smart person, and dad had a heart for theatre, they taught me so much about history, and I loved going to festivals with them. We are pure-blooded Japanese, right to the core.
I grew to love the theatre, and all of its magic, because it wasn’t real, none of it was.
The theatre was a second home for me, and I grew up not knowing what my mother was.
When she passed away, I was seventeen. She had left to me her hair clips, as well as her necklace. That’s when I found out whom, and what I was supposed to be.
I was now a shinigami, following in my mother’s footsteps, to keep the antique shop, and to help the dead find peace.
But I need to say more about myself.
On my sixth birthday I had received a beautiful kimono from a family friend, who they said was my great uncle, which I didn’t believe, because he looked way too young. I have already forgotten his face, and his name. But I do remember the festival of the fireflies.
We celebrated the fireflies, and the lives of the dead. And he held my hand, as if he knew that it would happen.
I almost got run over by a cart that was hauling rice and fish, he pulled me out of the way and up into his arms.
“Rastel, you should know better than that.” He said, he laughed a little.
“It wasn’t funny.” I crossed my arms and looked away.
“You need to learn to laugh it off, I had to.” He had smiled. “Besides, I don’t want to miss you next year.”
“Next year? Why only next year?”
“Well, Rastel, I can only see you during this celebration, because I’m not around any other time of the year.”
“Not even Christmas?”
“No, I can’t see you then either, even though I would really like it, but I don’t think it would be a good thing if I could visit then… because you’d probably have followed in your mother’s footsteps…”
“What’s wrong? You’re crying.”
“He he, it’s nothing. I’m only worried that you might and up facing some problems, and I can’t say what they are, because the festival is almost over, and I have to go. I’ll make sure to leave you a little gift if I can, Rastel.” He set me down. “As long as you live I will be here for you, don’t forget that.” With that, he hugged me and he disappeared, literally, he honestly disappeared.

Then, when I turned thirteen, I saw him again, but just briefly, he was walking down the street, and he wore a black and violet jacket like the one mother had.
He saw me and smiled, and he bowed, and then he left, after calling someone’s name.
I called after him, but he was gone before he could hear me. I went to go back inside, and there was a gift on the stairs in front of the door.
The tag on the gift read:

To Rastel Caris, the best great niece in the world.
From your great uncle, K. Hume, May you smile forever, with fireflies lighting every darkened path.
You are indeed his granddaughter.
Don’t lose yourself, but instead, embrace your heart and never let go.


“What’s this supposed to be?” There was a poorly drawn flower next to his name, but a nicely drawn koi fish. “Wait!” I looked at the note again. “It’s written in perfect kanji!”
I went inside and held it close. If they caught me with this, I could be killed.
Only mom and dad could ever see this. I couldn’t open it, even though I really, really wanted to. I couldn’t.

Now, I am twenty-two years old, and I have a beautiful life, a wonderful antique shop, and I had followed in my mother’s footsteps.
I took the box from where I kept it safe, away from Risa, and I opened it.
I almost cried when I looked inside.
There was a family picture taken on the night of the festival.
My great uncle has indeed been there this entire time.
“Thank you Kastyr.” I softly touched the picture, and I didn’t even wipe away my tears.
“What’s wrong Rastel?” Risa asked when she entered the room.
“Nothing’s wrong, nothing at all.” I smiled.
“But you’re crying.” Set sat next to me on the edge of my bed.
“I’m just happy, I know it’s weird, but, I have a guardian angel, and he has never left my side. Never.”
“A guardian angel? Who is it? Tell me, tell me!”
“My great uncle. He’s my guardian angel, as I am his.” I stood up. “I have to get a frame for this,” I set the box down and went to find a frame the right size. “Risa, do you want to help? I think I have one that’ll fit this picture.” I wiped my tears away. “It should have a koi fish on it; I think it’s a silver frame with a glass koi fish. In fact, I’m positive that’s what it looks like.”
“Okay!” She hopped down from my bed. “Can I see the picture?”
“Yeah, see if you can tell which one is me.” I let her hold the photograph.
“Wow! You’re the one in the green, right?”
“Yeah, that’s me alright.”
“Why’s Kastyr there though?”
I could only laugh.
What should I give him in return?
“Hey Risa, what should we give Kastyr for his birthday?”
“His birthday?”
“Yeah, it’s in three days, on the day of the firefly festival. We should all go together.”
“But didn’t you say that they stopped holding that a while ago?”
“Yeah, but we can make do with what we’ve got and put one together for him!”
“YAY!” Risa jumped with joy. “I’ve always wanted to go to a festival!”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment