Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - Making Friends

After getting kidnapped, girl finds herself in world where the supernatural exist and to find that she's not human, but a sorceress
I don't have a title for my story yet
Be harsh on the comments y'all cos i'm thinking of getting this published
x

Chapter 7 - Making Friends

Chapter 7 - Making Friends
Kerri frowned. “Honestly, what is it with you and punctuality?”

Arik stared at her for a moment. “We have a mutual understanding.”

She raised her eyebrows. Ohhhkay. “Let’s go, then.”

She managed to hobble out of her room, with Arik still supporting her—when he first put his arm around her, she thought she’d faint—but by the time she had done that, her leg hurt so much she thought it was going to fall off.

He sighed again. “We’ll never make it on time at this rate.” He paused. “Can I?” He held out his hands.

She nodded, not understanding. “Uh, sure.” Suddenly, she was in his arms again. “Oh.” While he carried her down the stairs, Kerri couldn’t help thinking how good he looked in a tux. Of course, he looked even better shirtless. Her mind flashed back to when he pulled of his shirt, and she mentally kicked herself. He has a girlfriend, and she has a boyfriend. Well, at least, she had one.

Arik stopped in front of a pair of grand, magnificent-looking doors. He slowly let Kerri down, and she wobbled slightly on her heels. What she didn’t want him to know was that the stuff she had said—about her not being able to wear nice stuff without ruining them—were actually true.

She clutched onto him tightly as they walked through the door. Or at the rate they were going, they could have been crawling through the door. She gasped. The room was full of guests, and every single one of them was looking at her.

She paled a little, and Arik, sensing her discomfort, looked down at her. “What’s wrong?” he whispered as they made their way through the guests.

She gulped. “I don’t mix very well with crowds,” she whispered back. Suddenly, she lost her footing and tripped.

Thank God for Arik. He held onto her tightly. “So the thing about you wrecking every single piece of decent clothing is true?”

Cover blown. “Sort of.”

He sighed. Suddenly, he straightened up. “That’s the boss of this entire company,” he whispered in her ear as an elderly looking man walked towards them. “Be polite, or else.”

She looked at him disdainfully. “Or else?” she mimicked him. “Really?”

He looked pleadingly at her. “Please.”

Damn. She always gave in to puppy-dog eyes. And right now, his eyes were definitely puppy-dog eyes…and they belonged to a very, very hot puppy-dog. “Fine.”

“Arik.” The elderly man spoke. He had a hard, gravelly voice. Kerri didn’t know about Arik, but this man scared the shoot out of her.

“Sir.” Arik bowed stiffly—and awkwardly, considering his right arm was still supporting almost all of Kerri’s weight.

The man turned to look at Kerri with his watery grey eyes. “Kerrien McCarthy, I assume?”

Kerri stole a glance at Arik, he had tensed up noticeably, and he was holding his breath. “Kerri. It’s a pleasure to meet you at last, sir.” She smiled warmly. It was probably the fakest smile she had ever smiled, but hey, there was a first for everything. Arik relaxed visibly, relief evident on his face. The arm that was around her waist squeezed her gently, as if to thank her.

“Welcome. I hope that you’ll find your stay here very pleasant.”

I’ll find it much more pleasant if I knew why I was even here, she thought. “Thank you, sir.”

The man, as if able to read her mind, raised an eyebrow. “You do know why you’re here?”

Kerri blushed. “Not really, sir.”

The man frowned at Arik. “Well, I’ll leave Arik to tell you about it, then.” He smiled again. “It was lovely to meet you, Kerri,” he said before gliding off.

Kerri looked at Arik. His face was ashen. “Arik?” she asked. She received no response.

“Arik, you better not faint on me, or I swear to God…” she trailed off. “If you faint, then I won’t be able to walk at all, so please don’t faint, because I really don’t wish to stand on the same spot until you come around again.”

Arik finally focused on her, shaking his head slightly. “I’m sorry, you were saying?”

She stared at him. What is wrong with him? “Nothing.”

A blonde woman strutted over. “Ricky, honey,” she drawled, draping herself all over him. Her hair tickled Kerri’s face and she coughed, her eyes watering at the overpowering smell of perfume. She looked at Arik, assuming this was his girlfriend.

Arik smiled tersely. “It’s Arik, Mandy. I’ve told you that many times before.” He hugged her then released his arms and stepped back.

“Honey, who’s this tramp you’ve got your arm around?” Mandy asked suspiciously.

Kerri’s eyes widened. She did not. She did not just call her a tramp. Her eyes narrowed. “If you want a tramp, sweetie,” she hissed. “Go take a good look in the mirror.”

Mandy wrinkled her nose but otherwise ignored her. “Honey, you really shouldn’t be hanging out with lowlife trash like her.”

“No,” Kerri snapped. “Just hang out with dog shoot like her. It’d move your reputation. Downwards. Into the ashes.” She smiled sweetly up at him.

Arik hurried to placate the girls. “This is Mandy, my girlfriend. Mandy, this is Kerri, my trainee, and my trainee only, nothing more, nothing less.”

Unfortunately, Kerri thought bitterly. Mandy looked condescendingly at Kerri. “Well, if you say so,” she said, pouting.

Kerri felt Arik sigh silently. Ha, won’t be long till you get dumped, “lowlife trash” my @$$, she thought triumphantly. She also realised that this was the first time he had ever called her by her name. Well, he had called her by her name once in the car, but she hadn’t really noticed because the fact that she was being kidnapped by four men was distracting her.

“I’m bringing Kerri over to meet the guys, okay? I’ll see you later.” Arik pulled Mandy in for a quick kiss on the cheek and practically dragged Kerri away.

“Ow. Stop it. Stop it. Stop. Now,” Kerri hissed. Arik showed no signs of slowing down. ”Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow.” She glared up at him and kicked him in the knee with her high heels.

“Ah!” Arik yelped and tried his best to support both his and Kerri’s weight instead of sinking down to the floor in pain. “That hurt.”

“Well, so did getting dragged along on my twisted ankle.”

Arik gritted his teeth. “These are my friends: Drake, Joshua and Carter,” he said to her as three handsome men made their way through the crowd to stand in front of them.

Kerri looked at the one in the middle. “I know you, I think,” she said to him. “Joshua, right? The dude that had blood pouring out of him like a tap?”

Joshua nodded. He was the only one in the group who had pitch-black hair, and it was a bit on the long side, shadowing his eyes a little. Kerri could just make out that he had bright blue eyes.

“Kerri, it’s so nice to finally meet you. We’ve heard a lot about you from Arik. I’m Carter,” the man on the right said, grinning and holding out his hand. Kerri shook it. Carter was your average blonde hair blue eyed playboy. Bet he hasn’t had a steady girlfriend yet, Kerri thought.

The one on the left—Drake, she assumed—stepped forward and gave her a hug. Kerri’s eyes widened, and had raised her knee and was just about to kick him in the balls when Arik hastened to explain. “He’s gay.”

“Oh, well, that’s all right, then. Hi, Drake.” She pulled gently away from the hug. “So, Carter, what exactly has Arik told you about me?”

Carter grinned. “That you drove him insane, and he had to beat you unconscious to get you to shut up.”

Kerri scowled at Arik, who grinned and shifted his arm around her waist to give her better support, since she had lost her balance a bit when Drake had hugged her.

“Don’t tell me you’ve fallen for the chick,” Drake said, gesturing at the arm that was around Kerri’s waist.

“No, no,” Arik explained, tripping over his words. “She sprained her ankle and she can’t walk in heels.”

Carter looked Kerri up and down, as if he was seeing her for the first time. “If I were you, Arik, I’d be carrying her all the way.” He leered.

Kerri frowned at him. Then she leant forward and bopped him on the head. “Ow,” he complained. “I was just joking.”

“Well, I don’t appreciate your sense of humour.” She smiled her half smile that usually drove men crazy. Luckily, it had the same effect on immortal men.

“Dude, if you’re not taking her,” Carter told Arik. “I am.”

Arik rolled his eyes at them. “You’ll have to excuse them,” he said to Kerri. “They’re a bit out of control.”

“I’m enjoying myself, actually,” Kerri said. “Why don’t you go over and make out with your slut of a girlfriend while I stay here and talk to Drake, Joshua, and Carter?”

Arik frowned, and opened his mouth to say something but Kerri beat him to it. “You know you want to.”

He looked at her—probably wondering whether she was going to pull something when he was away—then looked uncertainly at his friends. “If she tries anything, stop her.”

Drake took over Arik’s place, placing his arm on Kerri’s waist. “Go French kiss your brains out, then.” He pushed Arik gently towards Mandy, smirking. Arik flipped him off, but disappeared into the crowd.

The rest of the night passed pretty quickly. Drake and Carter introduced her to tons of people, but Kerri had forgotten their names once they were out of their mouths. Joshua just kept quiet and never said anything. Freak. Still, an extremely good-looking freak nonetheless.

After a while, she made Drake bring her to the bathroom. She also made Drake swear not to look even though he was gay.

Drake had snorted. “Honey, the only way you’d be able to make me look is if you grew a dick and balls.”

She took his word on that. She was washing her hands when Mandy came in to reapply her smudged lipstick.

“Hello, tramp,” she said to Kerri, sniffing and drawing back as if she smelt something horrible.

“Greetings, slut.”

Mandy threw Kerri a glare. “You better start showing me some respect.”

“And why the hell would I do that?”

“Because I’m your boss’ girlfriend.”

“He’s not my boss. And if you keep it up, you ain’t gonna be his girlfriend for much longer. The dumb blondes with fake boobs are appealing for a while. But when they start to sag…not so much.”

Mandy gasped. “I’ll have you know that these are real.”

Kerri snorted. “Yeah, and I’m Dr. Who.”

Mandy looked confused. “Dr. Who?”

Kerri stared at her. “Yeah. Dr. Who.”

“Who?”

“Yeah.” Wow, she really was dumb. Beside her, Drake was convulsing in silent laughter.

“Dr. Who?” Mandy was frowning in confusion.

Kerri suppressed a sigh. “Brown. Dr. Brown.”

Mandy wrinkled her nose condescendingly. “I’ve never heard of him.”

“Well, he doesn’t do silicone, so that’s probably why.”

“I don’t do silicone. Only Botox.”

“Well, he doesn’t do that either.”

Mandy was looking confused again. “Exactly how’s he a doctor?”

“He…cuts people open, takes out their organs, ties a knot, then sticks it back in.”

Mandy’s eyes widened. “Why would he do that?”

“To make sure the monsters hiding under their beds don’t creep in and eat them inside out.”

Mandy thought about it, then nodded wisely. “I understand. Tell him he’s making the world a better place.”

Kerri kept her expression blank while Drake seemed to have stopped breathing and was very interested in his shoes. “I’ll do that. Meanwhile, you can go suck face with your boyfriend and smudge your lipstick again. Oh, by the way, he just has the hottest body, doesn’t he?”

Mandy nodded excitedly, then stopped and narrowed her eyes. “How would you know about that?”

“Well, the same way you would, of course.” Kerri grinned slyly.

Mandy glowered at her, then stalked—well, tried to stalk, considering she had on stilettos that were six inches high (and she was still shorter than Kerri…was she short or short?).

She tapped on Drake’s arm. “You can lead me out now, damage done.”

Drake shook his head, still laughing. “Arik’s going to kill you when he finds out,” he said, leading her out.

“Well, that means he’s going to kill me now, ain’t he?” she remarked dryly as they both watched as Mandy walked up to Arik, who was waiting outside the bathroom, and slapped him in the face before storming away.

Arik was stunned. He rubbed his cheek, which was now going slightly red, and when he caught sight of Kerri and Drake walking towards him, and he scowled.

“I don’t know how, and I don’t know why, but I do know that this has got to be your fault,” he hissed to Kerri, who burst out laughing. His face was comical.

“You should definitely hang on to this one, Arik.” Drake was still chuckling. “She’s a piece of work.”

“I thought I told you to stop her if she tried anything,” Arik snapped.

“Well, you didn’t define ‘anything’,” Drake said, defending himself.

“In normal context, anything would mean uh, oh, I don’t know, anything?”

“Well I hardly knew she would suddenly start making fun of your girlfriend and telling her that you had a great body!”

Arik raised his eyebrows at Kerri. “And you would know because…?”

Kerri rolled her eyes. Boys had such a short span of memory. “You took off your shirt today when you wanted to rape me. Besides, I just needed to piss her off.”

“I didn’t try to rape you,” Arik protested. Kerri noticed he substituted the word “want” with “try”. “Besides,” Arik continued. “You’ve pissed me off, too.”

Kerri grinned. “Two birds, one stone.”

“Like I told you,” Drake said cheerfully as Arik’s face turned red with anger. “She’s a piece of work.”

Arik suddenly seemed to deflate. He sighed. “Come on then, let’s go. The guests are leaving. You should probably go sleep now, it’s almost twelve.” He held out his hand and Kerri hobbled over.

He scooped her up in his arms again, nodded his goodbye to Drake, clicked his fingers, and they were in her room. He helped her take of her heels and pushed her gently towards the bathroom. “Go get changed,” he said just as his phone rang.

As Kerri limped towards the bathroom, she heard Arik talking on the phone. She hadn’t meant to eavesdrop. Well, actually, she had, but that was a fact that could be easily overlooked.

“Sir, what a...no, sir. I’m sorry, sir, I—she…I understand sir, I’m sorry. It won’t happen again…yes, I’m sorry. No, sir.” Then suddenly his face paled. “But—I…yes sir.” The call had ended.

Kerri peaked out of the bathroom—she had left the door open on purpose—and saw Arik sit down heavily on her bed, running his hands over his face, tousling his hair. He sighed and buried his face in his hands. Then he stood up, walked towards the fridge that was in the corner of her room—she still couldn’t believe she had a fridge to her own—and took out a beer. Cracking it open, he walked towards the bathroom. Kerri hopped quickly to the centre of the bathroom and was about to undress when Arik came in.

She looked at his face. His expression was one between confusion, frustration, fury and devastation. “Uh, hi,” she said.

Arik looked at her wearily. Then he gestured towards her dress. “Do you need help with that?”

Kerri remembered that the zip was at the back so she nodded, and Arik went over to unzip her dress. She stepped out of it, blushing slightly when she felt Arik’s heated gaze raking her up and down as he sipped from his beer when she took off her bra. She hastily pulled on the too-big t-shirt and struggled to pull on the boxer shorts. She would have hit him and called him a perv, but he didn’t seem to be in a good mood, and she didn’t want to wake up and find herself…well, let’s say she didn’t want to not wake up.

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Kaley on August 28, 2009, 7:27:19 AM

Kaley on
Kaleyyou had a doctor who reference, does that mean that you watch the show?

xxnataxx on August 28, 2009, 12:23:46 PM

xxnataxx on
xxnataxxno lol that thing just kind of popped into my head...but some of my friends watch it and say it's really good...xx

KokoroTsuki24 on May 4, 2009, 1:48:54 PM

KokoroTsuki24 on
KokoroTsuki24lolz. i still find the whole dr. who and dr. brown stuff funny! nice ending to the chapter! oh and i convinced my frend to read it too! she said she rly likes it but cant comment cuz shes not a member. figured id tell u anyway. convince you to publish it. btw, thought of a name yet? how about... umm... yeah nvm. my minds blank. ill keep thinking tho!