Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 11 - First Lesson

After getting kidnapped, girl finds herself in world where the supernatural exist and to find that she's not human, but a sorceress
I don't have a title for my story yet
Be harsh on the comments y'all cos i'm thinking of getting this published
x

Chapter 11 - First Lesson

Chapter 11 - First Lesson
When Kerri came out of the bathroom, Arik was leaning against the wall, glaring at her.

She grinned. “If that was supposed to be some sort of revenge, well…it turned out horribly wrong. That was just…entertainment. Kind of gross, but still entertainment.”

Arik scowled. “I’m not going to waste my time playing stupid games with you.”

Kerri’s grin got even wider. “Honey,” she drawled, imitating Mandy, “I’m not playing stupid games, what I’m playing is your stupid girlfriend.”

Arik pursed his lips. “She’s not that stupid. She can be quite smart sometimes.”

Kerri snorted. “Yeah, when she uses the bags of silicone that are inside her boobs to think instead of the poor excuse you call her brain.”

“Hey,” Arik defended his girlfriend. “Those are real.”

“Yeah, and pigs can fly.”

Arik gritted his teeth. “We have training to do.”

“I thought you had to take a nap.”

“I can’t afford to. If I do, by the time I wake up, you’d have probably told Mandy that I’m actually her brother.”

Kerri considered that one. “Huh, that’s not bad, actually.”

Arik narrowed his eyes. “You have no idea how easy it is for me to strip off all your clothes in the middle of the dining hall right now without even touching you, do you?”

Kerri shut up immediately. Letting Arik see it was one thing—besides, she was unconscious at that time—but letting everybody else see it—when she was conscious—was another.

Arik smirked. “Come on, you have a lot to learn.” He led the way out of the dining hall.

“Why don’t you just uh, shift us back?”

“Because if I do, I wouldn’t have enough magic to last me for the whole day, and I need as much magic as I can get.”

He led her to a white room that was brightly lit. Kerri had to literally follow Arik’s footsteps, because the white light partially blinded her and she couldn’t see anything—except for Arik, of course—in the sea of white.

“Right now we’re crossing into the O.R.,” Arik explained to her.

“So we’re like…in between?”

“No, but we will be after we go through this door.” Arik spread his arms wide and his outstretched fingers twitched outwards as he whispered something and suddenly, a part of the wall disappeared, revealing complete blackness behind it.

“That is so freaky. Do we have to go through that?”

“Yes, come on, otherwise it’ll close again.” Arik grabbed Kerri’s wrist and led her through into the darkness.

Behind her, the white light disappeared and they were engulfed in blackness. “Hey, I can’t see anything,” Kerri complained. To be honest, she was a bit freaked out. She’d never been a fan of the dark.

“Stop moaning.” Arik led her forwards, still holding on to her wrist, and Kerri followed him blindly, tripping after him.

After about three minutes of walking, Kerri was about to ask Arik how long did she have to walk for because her ankle was starting to hurt when the blackness suddenly disappeared, and Kerri found herself standing in the middle of some kind of tropical jungle with him. However, it was like the jungle was built in a soundless world, because all Kerri could hear was a dead silence. Not even a freaking chirping bird.

“What...where is this?” she asked him as she followed him as they trekked deeper into the jungle.

“Welcome to the Other Realm.”

“Oh, wow. Okay, one question. How do we get back?”

“We’ve just got here and you’re already asking how we get back?”

“No offense, but this world is a little…surreal. And also a little freaky.”

Arik ignored her comment. “Remember that the O.R. is extremely dangerous. I’m serious, this cannot be taken lightly. It’s even more dangerous than…being trapped in a room full of murderers.” He frowned at his simile while Kerri managed to both stifle a laugh and look at him like he had grown another head. Arik waved away her look impatiently. “You will only go where I tell you to go, and will only do what I tell you to do, or otherwise…well, you’ll find out for yourself, won’t you?”

Kerri would have answered Arik’s question, but she was distracted by the fact that the Mark on her neck was glowing and felt really weird, like it was burning hot, but also freezing cold at the same time. “Uh, Arik?”

“What?”

Kerri shot him a look. “I’ll give you a hint.” She spun around, lifted her hair and pointed to her glowing tattoo. “Is that obvious enough, or is that still too subtle for you?” she asked him.

Arik ignored the jibe. “You’ll get used to it. Your Mark will glow whenever you enter the O.R., because the power uses it as a source to travel through your body.”

“I don’t…I don’t really understand.”

Arik frowned, trying to explain. “It’s like…you know how your heart pumps the blood around your body? Your mark pumps the magic around your body.”

“Oh. So it’s like…a battery giving electrons strength to go around the circuit?” Great. She sounded like a science freak.

Arik smirked. “Something like that.”

“It feels…really, really weird.”

“As I said, you’ll get used to it. Now shut up, because your lesson has started, and we can’t be here for too long at a time.”

“Why not?”

Arik sighed impatiently. “We just can’t. It’s dangerous here.”

“Okay then, teach me how to zap people dead.”

“Yeah, it doesn’t really work that way. Let’s begin with something small, shall we?” Arik held out his hand, and there was a globe of green in his hand.

“Wow. Okay. Uh, how do I do that?”

“Close your eyes and listen really carefully. Do you hear your magic running through you?”

Kerri frowned.

“Close your eyes and listen, you idiot.”

Kerri closed her eyes and listened hard. She could feel rather than hear her magic coursing through her. “I can sort of…feel it,” she said.

“Yes, but you need to really hear it.”

Kerri focused again, closing her eyes hard, and after a second of two, she could hear it. It was a flash at first, but gradually, she could hear it properly. A silent, whispering rush. “I can hear it, I can hear it,” she said softly, not wanting to lose it.

“Now try pulling all of that energy into the palm of your hand. Like…pulling a bucket of water up from the bottom of the well. At least, that’s how I imagine it.”

Kerri raised her eyebrows. This guy really needed to work on his similes. Eyes still closed, she tried her best to pull in the soft rushing. It was like herding sheep. But the sheep were actually water, or some kind of liquid. She grimaced when she found out that her simile wasn’t exactly food either, and then pushed the thought away. It took some concentration—and a lot of frustration and impatience—but finally, she could feel it draining from her four limbs and leaking into the palm of her hand. She opened her eyes and saw that her hand was glowing a dull yellow.

“Pull it in even more. Pack it into a tight little ball,” Arik said.

Kerri sucked in another breath and with all her might, imagined packing the magic into “a tight little ball”, as Arik had described it. She could feel something surging through her hand. She opened her eyes, and saw a small globe of gold hovering above her palm. “Wow,” she breathed. “Wait a minute, why’s mine a different colour?”

“Depends on the colour of your eyes. My eyes are green, so well…my magic comes in the colour of an eerie green-ish colour. Your eyes are honey coloured, so your magic comes in that colour.”

“That’s…incredible. It feels so…magical.” Kerri was at a loss for words.

“Okay, now let go.”

Kerri obliged, and as the gold orb faded, she felt the magic flow back inside her.

“You have to speed up the whole process. Do it again, but faster.”

“Again?”

“Yes, but faster. If it takes you five years to summon up the power that you have, then it’d take you ten years before you could do anything else.”

Kerri scowled.

“You wouldn’t be able to hear your magic unless you’re absolutely calm, so getting pissed off really doesn’t help.”

Kerri was getting more pissed off by the minute, but she didn’t say anything and tried to repress her anger. She listened carefully, then reined it in and packed it into a tight ball. When she opened her eyes, she had done it again.

Arik made her repeat it for two more times before he let her rest.

“What does that golden globe thingy do anyway?”

“It just shows you how much magic you’ve got in your body.”

“But that...isn’t a lot.”

“That’s only because you just started using magic. I have more magic in me because I practise it literally every day. The more you use magic, the more magic you’ll have.”

“Oh, and Arik?”

“Yes?”

“Every time I try to uh…pull in the magic into my hand, my tattoo—”

“Mark.”

“Whatever. My Mark just sort of…tingles.”

“Yeah. Your Mark will uh, ‘tingle’ every time you use a lot of magic. However, since this is the first time you’ve used magic, well, to the Mark, it’s a lot of magic.”

“What does the Mark do anyway?”

“Well, it links you to your trainer, that is, me.”

“What do you mean, link?”

“Well, we can sort of…communicate telepathically. And if necessary, I can order you to do my bidding, and you’ll have to do it.” He smirked. He was obviously looking forward to a situation when it was necessary.

“What do you mean I’ll have to do what you tell me to do?” Kerri asked him, putting one hand on her waist.

“It means that if you refuse an order I give you, your head will start to hurt so much that you’ll probably die from the pain unless you go do what I told you to or I cancel the order.”

Bastard. “Bastard.”

Arik smirked. “It’s all for your own good, McCarthy.” He then looked at his watch. “We have a few minutes left. Do you want to end early, or do you want to learn something new?”

As tired as she was, Kerri couldn’t help being curious. “What are we going to learn?”

Arik shrugged. “I don’t know, probably summoning up fire and ice…that’s pretty basic.”

She definitely wanted to know how to do that. “I’ll stay.”

“If you close your eyes, you’ll be able to concentrate better. Of course, once you get used to doing some of the stuff, you can do it just like that.” Arik held out his hand and a small flame erupted from his fingers.

“Stop showing off.” Kerri closed her eyes. “Now what?”

“Focus on your Mark. What do you feel?”

“Intense heat and cold at the same time.”

“Okay…this is sort of similar to what you have been doing. Pull in the heat, but this time, pull it in to the tip of your fingers. Feel the heat building up against all five tips of your fingers.”

Kerri held out her hand, and slowly, she could feel the heat seep into it. She forced the heat towards her fingertips. The heat kept trying to leak back downwards. She stopped it as much as she could. “Then?”

“Push.”

Kerri gave the heat a push, and suddenly, her fingers twitched outwards, and she could feel the magic surging through again. She opened her eyes and looked at her hand, which now governed a small flame. “That is so cool.”

Arik grinned. “Do you want to throw a fireball?”

Kerri looked at him hopefully. “Can I?”

“Knock yourself out.”

“How?”

“Just…let go of it when you throw.”

Kerri aimed carefully and chucked her fireball at one of the trees. Instead of burning the tree down, the fireball disappeared into smoke once it hit the tree. Kerri frowned, confused.

“Didn’t I tell you that the O.R. is different to the human world? You can’t just expect things to happen here. Anything can happen. That’s why it’s so dangerous.” Arik nodded. “Do you want to move on to ice?”

“Is it the same, but I pull in the cold instead of the heat from my tatt—I mean, my Mark?”

“Yes. But be careful. The cold won’t stop at your fingertips and wait for you to push it out. It’ll just come pouring out.”

Kerri rubbed the back of her neck, and her Mark tingled. She pulled in as much cold as she could and forced it through her fingers, but instead of ice shards shooting out, water poured through the tip of her fingers. She stared at it. “It’s like…peeing through my fingers. It’s so gross.”

Arik gave a small laugh. “You need to keep the heat out.”

Kerri closed her eyes and tried again, but somehow, one way or the other, the heat always seeped in. She was on the verge of giving up when suddenly, she felt Arik’s fingers press gently against her Mark, and magic surged through his fingertips.

“Let me show you. Just…remember the feeling, what it feels like.”

Kerri opened her eyes, let go and relaxed while Arik divided the heat from the cold easily in slow motion and drove the icy cold through her veins and up into the tips of her fingers. Suddenly, ice thrust through her fingers and onto the ground, freezing the grass. It was magical. “Wow,” she breathed as Arik removed his fingers from her neck. “Now why is the grass freezing instead of disappearing or melting the ice or something like that?”

“In the O.R., everything has its own powers. We have the ability to attack and defend, and so do animals—that is, if they ever get the chance to learn them properly—but plants can only defend themselves. They cannot attack. Their power only gives them to a certain amount of protection. When you threw your fireball, you were still weak, and your attack was weaker than its defence, so the tree was able to extinguish your fire, however, my attack was stronger than its defence when I did it for you, so it has to do…what you would expect it to do, if you know what I mean.”

In a strange way, it all made sense. “Yeah. I think I do.”

“Now it’s your turn.”

For the next few minutes, Kerri tried to imitate Arik’s actions, separating the heat from the cold. When she finally succeeded, she let out an exclamation of joy.

Arik nodded approvingly. “Not bad, McCarthy.”

Kerri cocked her head to one side. “Do you know that this is the first near-compliment you’ve given me since the start of the lesson?”

Arik raised an eyebrow. “I wasn’t aware that you were attention-seeking.” Then he stopped. “Actually…” he trailed off, smirking.

“I am not attention seeking,” Kerri snapped, annoyed. “All I’m saying is everybody deserves some encouragement or praise every now and then.”

Arik smirked again. “Yes, they do deserve it every now and then. But the question is, do you?”

Bastard.

Arik seemed to regret his words, because he hesitated, then he smiled softly. “You did a good job, McCarthy.”

Aw, he was actually blushing. Kerri was about to thank him when he straightened up abruptly.

“We should go now,” he said. “It’s going to get dark, and the O.R. is even more dangerous when it’s dark.”

Kerri snorted. “Come on, what will happen? Will a vine strangle me in an act of self defence when I accidentally step on it?”

“Actually, that can happen. The grass can also get very vengeful.” He looked pointedly down where they were standing: in the middle of a very grassy meadow.

“Let’s go,” Kerri said quickly.

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Konohasdarkshadow on May 18, 2009, 4:11:37 AM

Konohasdarkshadow on
Konohasdarkshadow“It’s like…peeing through my fingers. It’s so gross.” lmfao i love the way you write

xxnataxx on May 18, 2009, 4:50:41 AM

xxnataxx on
xxnataxxlol thx (: