Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 41 - The Dinner

After getting kidnapped, girl finds herself in world where the supernatural exist and to find that she's not human, but a sorceress
I don't have a title for my story yet
Be harsh on the comments y'all cos i'm thinking of getting this published
x

Chapter 41 - The Dinner

Chapter 41 - The Dinner
“Stop staring at me!” Kerri said, laughing as she swiped Arik’s arm with her clutch.

He kissed her neck. “Kind of hard to when you look so good.” He kissed a line up to her cheek, then to her lips.

She giggled. “Stop it; you’re going to ruin my makeup.” She ran her fingers through his hair and tried to push him away, but he growled and pushed her onto the bed.

She shrieked and hit him with her clutch. “No! Not now! We’re going to be late.”

He sighed. “Fine.” He raised his eyebrows. “But later…”

She rolled her eyes, smiling as she pushed him away.

***

“So, uh, you’re, uh, new, right?”

Kerri suppressed a sigh and an eye-roll. “Yes, Clive,” she said, edging away from the man who was trying to moving closer and closer to her.

“Oh, uh, good. We’re uh, on a first name basis now, uh, right, Kerrien?”

Not another one of those desperate ones. “Just Kerri will do,” she said, giving him one of those you’re-a-loser-why-am-I-even-talking-to-you smiles. Come on, even the name Clive sounded desperate. The greasy hair, nerdy glasses and the constant need to try to feel her up really didn’t help.

“So, uh, Kerri,” Clive was saying. “I was uh, wondering whether you uh, wanted to go out for a—”

“Am I supposed to sit here?” she asked, interrupting him, desperate to get away from him. “I don’t think I’m supposed to sit here.”

“No, you’re uh, supposed to sit here. We all have uh, allocated seats. Yours is uh, here. Uh, next to me.”

Uh, crap. Kerri fought the urge to bash someone’s head in. “Are you sure? I mean…they mix things up really easily these days…”

He leered at her. “The name Kerrien, so uh, unique, so uh, one of a kind, it cannot be uh, mistaken.”

Unfortunately. Kerri nodded and was about to make a reply that consisted the word “Mmmmm” when the boss entered the dining room. The room fell silent and everybody—including her—stood up immediately, and Kerri was temporarily forgotten, much to her relief.

“Sit,” the boss said in his gravelly voice, sitting in his chair.

They sat.

“Tonight, I want to formally introduce you to Kerrien McCarthy, the sorceress.”

A collective gasp gathered around the room as they all turned their heads to look at who the boss was pointing at. Kerri felt herself flush slightly and she smiled.

“Hi,” she said, standing up and giving a small wave.

“A few days ago, there was an invasion. And now you all know why.” With that, he sat back down again. “Let dinner be served.”

Kerri raised an eyebrow and tried even harder not to blush. If that was a form of formally introducing her to the most important people of the company, she wouldn’t want him to slag her off in front of them. She sat down again as the chatting quietly resumed.

“Wow, Kerri,” Clive gushed from next to her. “I never uh, knew you were uh, the sorceress.”

“I’m a sorceress. It’s not a big deal.”

“You’re the sorceress. You’re uh, the one who’s going to uh, save us all!”

She smiled patiently, clasping onto her clutch so tight she was surprised that it didn’t break.

“So, uh, I was wondering uh, if you wanted to…you know, uh, sometime, maybe, you wanted to uh, go out? Sometime?”

Kerri froze. She didn’t want to go out with desperate losers, but she always felt bad when she had to turn them down. Suddenly she remembered something, and as she undid the clasp on her clutch, she talked so as to draw the attention away from what she was doing under the table.

“Well, Clive, you see,” she paused for dramatic effect. “I’m…it’s…it’s kind of complicated. You see, I’m…” she paused again, struggling to get the ring onto her middle finger. “I’m engaged. To someone else. Sorry.” She held up her left hand, wiggling her fingers.

“Oh.” He looked devastated. Kerri almost sighed in relief, but then the question he asked had her straightening up again. “To whom?”

Kerri stared at her ring. “Uh…”

“To me,” said a deep, familiar voice that suddenly appeared behind her. The deep, familiar voice that belonged to Arik.

She spun around. “I am?” she asked on an impulse. Then she quickly smiled and regained her composure, and linked her arm through his. “I mean, of course, yes, I am.” She flashed Clive another smile. “Sorry.” She practically ran away, dragging Arik along.

“Thank you,” she said, dropping his arm when they were behind a potted palm in the lobby. “I think.”

Arik smirked. “So that’s why you wanted to take a look at the jewellery section.”

She smiled weakly. “I knew it’d come to good use.” Just didn’t realise it’d be tonight on this…special and totally uncalled-for situation.

He leaned in close and nibbled on her earlobe. Maybe one day, it will come to good use.

For the second time that night, Kerri froze. Whoa. Um, isn’t it a little too early for that?

We’re True Loves, Kerri. We could wait a day, or we could wait a century. It really wouldn’t matter.

H-how do you know that we’re…that we’re, you know, True Loves?
Somehow, she suddenly felt scared.

He cocked his head, sensing her discomfort, and looked at her with his clear, green eyes. I don’t know, but we can always make sure if you want.

She had to blink a few times before she fully understood him. Um, I think…we should…go back. To the dinner thing.

He moved suddenly so that he had her pinned up against the wall. He reached up and put his hands on either side of her face. I love you, Kerrien McCarthy, and I’m sorry if I said something to scare you. Did I scare you?

Kerri looked up into his eyes, wondering how she should tell him what was on her mind. Arik Channing, she thought, sliding her arms around his neck. You scared the hell out of me. She reached up and kissed him long and deep and hard.

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

blackcatcurse on May 20, 2009, 8:27:25 AM

blackcatcurse on
blackcatcurse*faving*
I wanna see how this turns out!

KokoroTsuki24 on May 22, 2009, 2:34:30 PM

KokoroTsuki24 on
KokoroTsuki24you REALLY should! like i mean it! seriously. you have to. and have you read the other chapters? arent they awesome?! oh and can you help think up a title for the story? nata requires help.

Konohasdarkshadow on May 20, 2009, 8:51:54 AM

Konohasdarkshadow on
Konohasdarkshadowum dont you put the engagement ring on your ring finger? the one between your middle finger and pinkie? lol you wrote middle finger, so at first i thought she was going to flip him off with it on. love the 2 new chaps!!! i was going to say that jewelry is spelled with 1 'l' but then i noticed that it can be spelled both ways, with 1 or 2 'l' s lol. keep on writing and keep up the good work (basically the same thing, but yeah, you get it lol)

xxnataxx on May 20, 2009, 8:05:24 PM

xxnataxx on
xxnataxxlol i dont actually know which finger you put it on...isnt it the middle finger of your left hand?? the wedding ring (like the gold band) is on your fourth finger right? i dont know...xx

Konohasdarkshadow on May 22, 2009, 11:20:37 AM

Konohasdarkshadow on
Konohasdarkshadowin order from thumb to pinkie theses are the fingers and some uses:

Thumb: Thumbs up/down
Pointer: Pointing
Middle: Insulting (F U/Flipping off)
Ring: Where your wedding rings usually go
Pinkie: Picking your nose or holding out - for fanciness

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

okay, though these are kind of silly, this is some info i found :P
i love the pinkie info! XD (honestly had a large portion to do with why i chose this site's definitions and such)

xxnataxx on May 22, 2009, 8:33:57 PM

xxnataxx on
xxnataxxlol well....that was....interesting lol i'll ask my mom (she should know lol from the personal experience)

xxnataxx on May 22, 2009, 8:52:46 PM

xxnataxx on
xxnataxxlol btw, she said that when you're engaged, you put the engagement ring on your middle finger. after you've married, you put both your engagement and your wedding ring on your ring finger...

KokoroTsuki24 on May 23, 2009, 4:43:09 AM

KokoroTsuki24 on
KokoroTsuki24whoah! rly?! and sry i like to read the comments. but my mom only wears her wedding ring. and come to think of it, i forgot you even HAD an engagment ring! so you have like a wedding ring AND and engagement ring? thats kewl. i just hope mine arent gold. i HATE gold jewelry. silvers MUCH prettier.

xxnataxx on May 23, 2009, 3:12:36 PM

xxnataxx on
xxnataxxyea i think so too...silver's really pretty. gold is kind of like...tacky.
anyway yea...when a guy proposes, he uses an engagement ring which you put on your third finger. after you get married, you'll have that wedding ring (which is usually a plain band) and you put it on your ring finger together with your engagement ring

KokoroTsuki24 on May 24, 2009, 1:36:45 PM

KokoroTsuki24 on
KokoroTsuki24oh ok! i get it! and i agree with you on the tacky part. it kinda screams 'Trying WAY to hard!' ya know? but silver is like i gues you could 'casual' but still kinda flashy. does that make sense?

xxnataxx on May 24, 2009, 7:05:11 PM

xxnataxx on
xxnataxxlol yep. totally get what you mean. silver's more classy and elegant as well, in my opinion.

KokoroTsuki24 on May 25, 2009, 7:01:42 AM

KokoroTsuki24 on
KokoroTsuki24yes! exactly! curse you story writers! i mean... what? who said that? *smiles* XD