Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - Amateur

Kerri2's finally out guys (: sorry it took so long
(for ppl who don't know, this is the sequel to Kerri??)
xx

Chapter 6 - Amateur

Chapter 6 - Amateur
“Again.” Arik crossed his arms.

“That’s all I ever hear,” Kerri complained. “Do this again, do that again. Again, again, again.”

“Practise makes perfect, Kerri.”

She pursed her lips impatiently but did as he asked so that the huge rock rose up into the air, her fingers twitching from the amount of magic used.

“If you weren’t my Mate, I’d have dumped this on you a long time ago,” she muttered.

Arik smiled but otherwise ignored her grumbling. “Now throw it over to those trees over there.”

Kerri drew in a big breath, and then with all her might, flung the rock towards the trees. The rock hurtled through the air and crashed through the trees, the trunks collapsing onto ground in a heap.

Arik nodded approvingly. She really was getting stronger every day. He was about to unleash another command when she put a hand to her head and swayed unsteadily. He was right next to her in a flash, holding her up in a firm yet gentle grip.

“Kerri? Are you alright?” he asked worriedly as she moaned softly.

“I’m...so dizzy,” she whispered.

He placed an arm behind her knees and lifted her up gently. “Dizzy? What do you mean?”

“So dizzy. And...And tired.”

Arik bit his lip. He had pushed her too far, tiring her out.

“I’m sorry,” he said gently. “I was too hard on you.”

She touched a hand to her forehead again. “What...what do you mean?”

“You used a large amount of energy to throw that rock and losing that much energy in such a short time usually causes dizziness. It should get better in a few minutes. Just close your eyes for a bit.”

She nodded and closed her eyes, her head settling into the crook of his arm before drifting off. Arik stroked the side of her face gently, brushing off the hairs that had strayed onto her face. He lifted his arm slightly so that she was in a more comfortable position and slipped his other hand under her neck to find her Mark. He touched the Mark gently with the tip of his fingers and gave some of his energy and magic to her. Hopefully, his magic—which should be more powerful than hers—will help her recover quickly.

***

Arik breathed a sigh of relief when finally Kerri stirred and woke up.

“Hey,” he said softly.

She opened her eyes. “Hi,” she murmured, sitting up and rubbing her eyes.

“I was getting worried,” he admitted as she stretched. “You took a long time to recover.”

“How long?”

He shrugged. “I don’t know exactly, but it seemed like a hell of a long time to me.”

She grinned and kissed him. “I’m pretty sure I was only out for a short while. You’re overreacting again.”

He smiled sheepishly. “Maybe.” He helped her up. “I’m sorry.”

“Stop apologising. We’re training, right? This is what you’re supposed to do: make me do my best, make me try my hardest.”

“I know, but I went a step too far. I thought...I thought since you were a sorceress, you were stronger, but in fact, you’re still a beginner, no matter how potentially stronger your magic is.”

She squeezed his shoulder. “You were probably just too stressed out by the war.”

He ran his hands through his hair. “And so I should be. I can’t afford to lose again. I can’t afford to lose you again. It’s going to kill me.”

She sat next to him. “Hey, don’t go all pessimistic on me.” She kissed him. “We’re going to win this time, because it’s going to be a fair fight, unlike that last time.”

“But last time was a fair fight,” Arik argued. “There were three of us and three of them.”

“But they were at their strongest, Arik. That really wasn’t fair for you.”

“They’re supposed to be at their strongest when they fight, Kerri. What’s the point of fighting otherwise when you don’t do anything to help you win?”

She slid her arms around her neck. “Don’t worry, okay? It’s going to be fine.”

“Just like last time?” he asked, distracted by how close her face was to his.

She brought herself closer so that their foreheads were touching. “You got me back in the end didn’t you?”

“But I made you suffer before that.”

“It’s not like you didn’t suffer yourself. To have Ty just invade your mind like that...”

He kissed her, and for a moment, all his problems just disappeared, but they came flooding back when she pulled away.

“What is it?” he asked her.

“Didn’t you hear that?”

“Hear what?”

“A noise. It was like...a growl. Listen.”

Arik tilted his head to one side and listened intently. Sure enough, a low growl greeted him from behind the cluster of fallen trees.

Damn. He should’ve brought Kerri back to the Sterling and let her recover there. It was never a good idea to stay in the O.R. for long. He snarled back before jumping up into the air and morphing into a dragon.

What am I supposed to do now? Kerri asked him, sounding annoyed and afraid at the same time.

Arik looked around, still listening. His hearing was enhanced whenever he was in his dragon form. There was only one of them. This shouldn’t be too hard. Unless it was Woodland again.

Get on my back.

Kerri obliged, clinging tightly onto his back just as a figure emerged from the trees.

Arik almost laughed when he saw the scrawny vampire standing in front of them. Now give me a kiss for good luck. His good luck, that is.

What do you mean?


Arik turned his head to look at her and grinned. Amateur. He jumped up into the air just as fire shot towards him. See? They’re so predictable.

Take your opponent seriously, she chided, although she was evidently more relaxed.

I’m surprised they ordered an amateur to come and kidnap you. Even if they were bringing amateurs, they should bring more than just one. At least then it’ll come close to this being a challenge.

You are so arrogant, Arik.

I’m good enough to be.


She laughed and kissed his back as he swooped up into the air and then down at his opponent. His sad excuse for an opponent, that is.

You may want to close your eyes. What’s about to happen isn’t going to be pleasant. He bared his teeth at the vampire, who was trembling slightly and roared.

It was the first time he had ever seen a vampire’s face go pale. It was quite amusing. He turned his head quickly to make sure that Kerri’s eyes were closed before hurtling himself toward the vampire.

Oh, try to block out the sounds as well, he told her before tearing into the vampire.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Kaley on December 5, 2009, 9:04:34 AM

Kaley on
Kaleywell, what happens next?