Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Prologue, Part One

Testing out some possible story lines.

Chapter 1 - Prologue, Part One

Chapter 1 - Prologue, Part One
Balance

*The events and characters of this story are the rightful property of Black Breeze

Chapter One: Prologue, Part One

“Aura?”

The tall woman sitting beside the sleeping child shook her shoulder lightly as the girl stirred and awaken, if only for a moment. She pried open her heavy, melancholy eyes as she stared into the face of her mistress, her face pale. A few wisps of her raven stranded hair flew across her face as the window before her slid open, revealing the speeding, dry streets of Cairo. Her mistress smiled at her kindly.

“We’re almost there, child, it’s time to awaken,” the elegant woman murmured, her same, long, ebony gold hair tied neatly in a bun, her spectacles gleaming in the sunlight. Aura shook her head as bushels of her short hair slapped across her face, holding tightly onto her mistress’s arm and staring reassuringly to the two Irish bands attached to it, calm once more.

The woman sighed as the child sailed willingly back to sleep. Their chauffeur peered in his back window and saw the saddening sigh.

“She isn’t speaking, Ms. Enari?” the man asked, making a turn as the luxurious car swiveled smoothly into another street.

“You know that she’s mute now, Shiyu-san,” Ms. Enari murmured, touching Aura’s face softly. “I’m afraid that she won’t be speaking for a very long while.”

Shiyu was silent as his eyes concentrated on the road. “But what of you, Maeve-san? How are you--”

“I’ll be just fine, Shiyu-san. I have dealt with greater tragedies before. Besides,” Ms. Enari spoke softly, her emerald eyes growing deep in thought, “I gave him… A promise. And as you know, Shiyu-san… I keep all of my promises.”

The man smiled wryly into the rearview mirror. “That I know, Maeve-san.” He then sighed and stared out his window as the car stopped. “But… I worry of Aura-kun. And what exactly… Did you promise the master?”

Maeve gazed into Aura’s face before replying, “I promised him what he wished for. I promised him that she will see happiness… Even if that happiness may lie in a place where I do not wish to stay.” Her eyes strayed to her window as she saw that they had reached the port, seeing the several house boats scattered across the Nile’s sparkling surface. With a beating heart her hand enveloped the strange pendent around her neck, though her face remained calm. Shiyu stared at the woman with a silent exterior.

“Take care of yourself Maeve-san,” he murmured, giving a slight bow to her. She smiled and nodded at him, opening the car door as she lifted the sleeping child into her arms like a loving mother, and stepped out to the dust filled streets of Egypt, staring at the dingy boat which was supposed to occupy her child, for who knows how long. She didn’t notice the car transport itself out, and did not try to either.

Maeve sighed and hugged Aura warmly. “I don’t care about myself anymore darling,” she murmured, “just so long as you are happy…”

The woman, holding her two suitcases in one hand, carrying the sleeping child in the other, approached the boat in long strides, her head arched high.

___________________________________________________________________________


After knocking on the hard wooden door, Maeve peered down towards a small, but obviously confident young boy. His dusty brown hair and small stature did not match the ferocity in his bright golden eyes, staring at the woman with mistrust and modesty. The boy glared at the woman childishly.

“Who are you?” He asked, with a tinge of rudeness in his voice.

Maeve smiled warmly at him, and, to anyone who was in the presence of this event, could see that the young boy grew calmer as the smile grew. Also, to anyone who knew Maeve personally, she had a strange habit of having any child grow of liking to her. Once again carrying Aura in one arm, she first adjusted her glasses and took out her hand, murmuring, “My name is Maeve Enari. Am I speaking to the man of the household?”

The boy’s face held a stingy, yet not at all rude, look, replying, “No. I’m Sadiki. Just Sadiki.” He lifted his hand shook hers.

“You are not the man of the household, Sadiki? Surely you jest. You seem ready to protect any resident of this boat like a proud man,” she said, shaking happily. “And what a fine handshake! Are you sure you are not mistaken…?”

Sadiki’s face immediately turned to a dark crimson, still blushing hard as an old man clasped his shoulder and stared curiously at the woman and child.

“Ah Maeve,” the old man chirped, laughing happily, “so glad you could make it!”

“Hello Yazid,” Maeve said warmly, shaking hands with the grandfather as he took her suitcases. “I see that you have some new members of your family.” Once again she smiled at Sadiki, causing a similar reaction to him as before.

Yazid laughed. “Ah yes, I remember the days when ‘twas only Adio and I… But, jus’ like he wished for on his 13th birthday--it was only a few days before, if mind serves me right--our family grew. You should see the other children of my family now.” He patted Sadiki’s head with a fatherly touch. “And I see that the child is doing well… Dear, I heard about what happen… Cruel, cruel world, strange how life can be… Do you care to come in? Come, come, set the child down on the chair, we have much to speak of…”

The old man ushered Maeve in as he closed the door behind her. As the woman turned and set the child down, Yazid asked, “Sadiki, do you mind staying with the girl for awhile? The boys won’t be back until later…”

Sadiki nodded frigidly as Yazid and Maeve walked out of the comfy room, laughter leaving its footsteps behind them.

Turning towards Aura, he stared with the same look at her as he did to Maeve. “Who is she?” he muttered, pouting as he took a blanket from a nearby chest and draped it over the girl. As she continued to sleep silently, Sadiki flopped down on the floor and glared at Aura, as if he was pressing her to awaken.

It worked, seemingly, when he saw Aura open her eyes wearily, showing the brilliance of her own grassy colored eyes. She wasn’t at all startled when she saw him; she just accepted his presence. Although it was not the same with Sadiki.

“Who are you?” he sneered. Aura said nothing as she wrapped her blanket around her closer. Sadiki sighed in annoyance. “Fine. I’ll start. I’m Sadiki, nine years old. You?”

Aura cringed deeper into the folds of her blanket as she held up seven fingers in response.

“Seven, eh? Thought so,” Sadiki said smugly, feeling more superior to her because of the age difference. When she didn’t say anything else, he lifted an eyebrow and continued, “Why are you so quiet? Scared, are you?”

Aura, although her gestures seemed fear based, still peered curiously to Sadiki, her cheeks showing a few shades of red.

Sadiki frowned at her. “You’re weird,” he said, arching his head higher to look through the small window above him. “Oooh! Adio’s here! I hope he brought some dates.” The boy smacked his lips and raced out the door, leaving Aura alone.

The girl blinked, not sure what just happened. Then, with a small shutter and fluttering of the eyes, she fell to sleep once more, quiet.


To be continued…

What Sadiki meant by ‘dates’ wasn’t actually dates. He meant this certain food in Egypt. These characters were originally fan fiction characters, but later on I found that they were developed enough to star in their own story. All the names here are real names, the Egyptian, the Irish, the Japanese… And I’m going to try to keep true to the nature of the different cultures that will appear in this story later on.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Comments and opinions welcome. :D


Comments

Comments (9)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

archeological-mania on September 1, 2005, 8:31:48 AM

archeological-mania on
archeological-maniawow, thats great. i like the way you describe stuff. there is way more detail in your stories then in mine. aand that is definateley a good thing. but the fan fic i have on here is my first one. i always start writing them but the one on here is going to be the first one i finish...lol. anyways great job. i hope you post more soon.

Nemya on August 21, 2005, 6:59:27 AM

Nemya on
Nemya*glomps you*

Wow! This is awesome, you are so good at describing things^^ I want to see what happens next! Great job!

Ariya_Eretsee on August 18, 2005, 9:20:10 AM

Ariya_Eretsee on
Ariya_Eretseethis is a very neat story. its so detailed but not in a boring way. it really ineterests me

Ariya_Eretsee on August 18, 2005, 9:20:10 AM

Ariya_Eretsee on
Ariya_Eretseethis is a very neat story. its so detailed but not in a boring way. it really ineterests me

Ariya_Eretsee on August 18, 2005, 9:20:00 AM

Ariya_Eretsee on
Ariya_Eretseethis is a very neat story. its so detailed but not in a boring way. it really ineterests me

Ariya_Eretsee on August 18, 2005, 9:18:21 AM

Ariya_Eretsee on
Ariya_Eretseethis is a very neat story. its so detailed but not in a boring way. it really ineterests me

Ariya_Eretsee on August 18, 2005, 9:18:07 AM

Ariya_Eretsee on
Ariya_Eretseethis is a very neat story. its so detailed but not in a boring way. it really ineterests me

Kirara on August 14, 2005, 5:35:55 PM

Kirara on
Kiraragosh!! this is soo cool! u are doin great on grammar! well,u see my grammar usually sucks,so,its good if i can be as good as you,BB! i had always envy those who are great in english/grammar..i can never improve my english..lol

well,ok..i think this is a great beginning.the opening of this story is great! and i like how u create ur charcters ^_^

its good! XD

ahhh..yes,thx for letting me to ask for a request! heeee...i cant get into ur profile page due to this stupid connection of mine..so i'll juz ask u here ^O^

could u draw a pic of Kyou and Tooru for me? ^_^ any pose u like,outfit? ermm..their autumn's uniform would be great.errr...i don wan it to be romantic...juz a playful or peaceful one is ok^^

thx a lot,if u could do this for me! i lub you,ahhhhhhh!!
XD atashi ureshii !! domo arigatou gozaimasu!

AnimeMangaLover on August 14, 2005, 12:10:02 AM

AnimeMangaLover on
AnimeMangaLoverThis is a good story! ^.^ There were a few grammatical errors (as with almost ALL online stories) and some of your words were switched (ex: ...and stepped out to the dust filled streets of Egypt, staring at the dingy boat which was supposed to occupy her child. [This implies that the boat is occupying the child, not the other way around.]), but overall it's a good story; it has great potential. Also, I loved the way you described things; it gave me a vivid image in my head. So, please continue the story and thank you for your comments ^.^