Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - The Burning.

With everyone she loves gone in a fire, Amile decides to get revenge on the one who started it - The King.
Accompanied by Brach, one of the few other survivors, Amile sets out on a journey - of danger, mystique - and a very real possibility of love.

Chapter 1 - The Burning.

Chapter 1 - The Burning.
I crested the hill and gazed at what used to be Malsuma. My black hair was in a braid to my waist, but wisps were escaping around my forehead and blue eyes. I sat down in disbelief. My mother had sent me away, along with the other children when the first of King Amyras’ guards appeared on the far hill. My whole town had been burnt to the ground. I don’t know if Mother or the Elders are even still alive. Tomorrow was supposed to be my Womanhood ceremony, making me the oldest of all the children of Malsuma - with the exception of Brach, who is my age. Brach has shoulder length sandy-brown hair, and deep brown eyes with green flecks.
It looks like Brach and I will have to take charge of the others. I don’t mind taking charge, but with Brach? Brach and I have been in competition since we were tiny. Now we have to work together. I can’t believe Amyras would do something like this. Actually I can. I’m going to find him. He killed my mother. I’ll leave Brach and the children in the next town and find him. I went back down the hill.
“So?” Brach asked.
“Gone.” I said, starting to tear up.
“All of it?”
Now all I could do was nod, I was crying that hard. Brach grabbed me and dragged me away from the children.
“Stop it.” He commanded me. “They’ll all start in a minute.”
I wiped my eyes before glaring at him.
“Fine. It doesn’t matter anyway.” I said with a deep breath, attempting to calm down.
“It doesn’t?” I could see the surprise in Brach’s eyes. I knew he thought all females were too emotional for their own good.
“I’ll have my cry once I leave you and the children in the next town.” Brach’s jaw dropped. Reasonably calm, I walked off.
“Ok. There’s been a fire.” I tried to say gently. Many of the children started crying. “It’s ok. Were all going to Evrep. You will be taken care of there. But for tonight, we stay here.”
The children were still crying. I went around calming them down, giving as much information as I could. When they had stopped crying, we camped out. Brach crept over to where I was going to be sleeping.
“You can’t go find Amyras on your own!” he exclaimed quietly.
“Why not?” I challenged, propping myself up on my elbow.
“You’ll get hurt.”
I looked at him. He was sincere.
“Thanks,” I said in a softer tone “but I can take care of myself.”
“I’m coming with you.”
“What?”
“You heard me.”
“I’ll think about it.” I said, rolling over to go to sleep.
I heard him give a little sigh, then go back to his spot.
When it was morning, Brach got some rabbit meat for the children to share. He managed to get a little bit from them, and offered it to me. I refused, knowing I would eat after the children and Brach were in Evrep. So he dropped it in my lap and got up. Now I sighed, and started to eat. When the children were ready, we started walking. Evrep is about a half days walk normally. With all of the children, it took most of the day. We could see Evrep in the distance when Brach came up to me.
“So?” was all he said.
I had thought about him coming a lot.
“Fine. You can come. I can’t hunt like you can.”
He nodded slowly, and then leant in.
“It didn’t matter what you said. I was coming anyway. You need protection.” Brach whispered into my ear.
I didn’t have anything to say to this, so I walked faster.
When we arrived in Evrep, we immediately sought out a carer for the children. While Brach explained what happened, I tried to tell them that Brach and I would come back for them. None of them listened. Brach returned with the carer, and introduced her as Ezmai. I watched her heard the children off and started to cry again. This time, Brach put his arm around me.
“Amile. You are too emotional for your own good.”
“Well, I have to be emotional enough for the both of us.” I scoffed, wiping away my tears.
“I managed to grab this before we left.” Brach held up some money. “Go buy some blankets and water-pouches.”
“What are you going to do?” I asked
He handed me some of the money then left, my question still hanging in the air.
An hour later I had several blankets, two water-pouches, and some leftover money. I stepped out of the crowd, and scanned for Brach. There! I scrambled between two men who whistled at me, and dodged in between other pole until I had nearly caught up with Brach.
“Brach!” I called. He turned his head and spotted me. He came over and took the blankets off me, and led me out of the crowd.
“We’ll start tomorrow before dawn. We have rooms at the Inn.” Brach said.
I didn’t know what to say. This is MY trip. And HE’S organized it! I suppose I should be grateful, but it irks me.
“Ok.” I said finally.
Brach led the way to the inn. Talking to the innkeeper, we found our rooms had become a room.
“But I asked for two rooms!” Brach argued.
“Well there’s only one! So you and your girlfriend will have to share!" The Innkeeper exclaimed, slamming the window.
Brach turned, with the key he’d been given hanging from his fingers.
“Come on.” He beckoned for me to follow him. We got to the room and found that there was a double bed and so room for the both of us.
“You take the bed. I’ll sleep on the floor.” Brach said, unwrapping the blankets and making a bed for himself.
“You can have it if you want – I don’t mind.” I offered. But Brach had already lain down and rolled over. I sighed. Brach could be so stubborn. As I drifted into sleep, I thought about if I would even be able to find Amyras.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment