Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - The Journey.

With everyone she loves gone in a fire, Amile decides to get revenge on the one who started it - The King.
Accompanied by Brach, one of the few other survivors, Amile sets out on a journey - of danger, mystique - and a very real possibility of love.

Chapter 2 - The Journey.

Chapter 2 - The Journey.
“Wake up. We’re going soon.” I woke to Brach shaking my shoulder.
We had bought traveling clothes at the market the day before. Brach had changed while I was asleep, and now stood facing the wall while I changed quickly. I started to take some food out of our bag.
“Don’t.” Brach said.
“Why not?” I asked indignantly.
“Because we should save it.”
“Must you tell me hat to do all the time? This was my idea, so I should be in charge!” I raised my voice to the point of yelling.
“Fine. If you want it like that, I won’t do anything.”
This surprised me. Was I still talking to the same person? He usually put up a fight.
“Uh, ok. Thanks. We should go now.” I put the food back into the bag and hoisted it over my shoulder. “And no, you’re not taking it. It would block access to your quiver and your bow.”
“But what about the food?” Brach asked in a sarcastic tone.
“We have to go.” I gathered up the last few things and stuffed them in the bag.
I walked out of the inn and into the market, coming to a stop in front of the crossroads sign.
“Which way?” Brach asked.
“Uh...” I looked from left to right and my gaze finally rested on the sign. “Left.”
“Do you know where you’re going?” Brach looked at me, one eyebrow raised.
“No.” I shook my head, sending my braid flying.
Brach looked at me pointedly.
“Fine. You lead then.”
Brach turned right and started walking.
“This path will lead to Bakid. At Bakid, we turn right again, which leads to the town Amyras’ castle is in.” Brach said.
We walked in silence for a while, until a thought struck me.
“How did you know to go this way anyway?”
“My mother has a map of Ashielat. Although, I feel like I’ve been this way before.”
“You haven’t though, have you?”
“No. I’ve never been out of Malsuma.”
We fell silent again. I listened to the crunch of the gravel under our feet, and started when Brach suggested we stop for lunch.
“Why do you think Amyras did it?” I asked, the memory of the guards on the hill making me tear up.
“I don’t know. He’s just an evil person I guess.” Brach looked over at me. I looked away.
“Come on, we should keep going.” I stood up and brushed myself off.
“But you’ve barely eaten anything.”
“I don’t care.” I said, more vigorously than I meant to. I started to pack the food away, including what Brach had yet to eat.
“Hey. Just because you’re upset, doesn’t mean I can’t eat!” Brach said heatedly. I turned away.
“Amile. Look at me. I’m sorry if what I said made you upset. But we need to eat.” Brach stepped over and took the bag from my hands. I just stood there, my mouth open just a little.
“What? But...” I faltered.
Brach passed me an apple.
“Fine. You win.” I took a bite, not realizing how hungry I actually was.
When Brach was satisfied that I’d eaten enough, we started walking again.
“Will we reach the next town by nightfall?” I said, thinking out loud.
“No. Brach looked around. “We’ll have to camp in the forest.”
“There’s a forest?”
“I’m pretty sure. It was on the map – it may not still be there.”
“Doesn’t this bother you?” I asked, remembering that Brach hadn’t showed any feeling.
“Of course it does. Do you think I’m heartless?” He snapped.
“No! But you’ve been blank and not telling me anything. At least I cried.” I was starting to get defensive.
“Right. So just because I don’t cry means I’m heartless and unfeeling does it? I lost my mother in the fire too. I’m just not a crybaby about it!”
The word ‘crybaby’ hit me like a slap in the face. I started to tear up.
“And there you go again.” Brach said impatiently, rolling his eyes.
We had found the forest. As we walked past, I seized the opportunity and ran in, twisting and weaving, hitting branches and leaves that made it their purpose to be in my way. I didn’t look back, fearing that if I did, Brach would find me.
“Amile!” I could hear him calling in the distance.
I kept going until I came to the river. I looked around. I saw no way of getting across, so I dropped to my knees and started sobbing. Brach suddenly crashed through the trees.
“Amile!” he crouched down beside me. “Why did you run away like that?”
I looked him, tears brimming through my lashes.
“Why should I have stayed?”
“For your safety, I suggest you both LEAVE NOW!”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment