Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 9 - The Distraction.

With everyone she loves gone in a fire, Amile decides to get revenge on the one who started it - The King.
Accompanied by Brach, one of the few other survivors, Amile sets out on a journey - of danger, mystique - and a very real possibility of love.

Chapter 9 - The Distraction.

Chapter 9 - The Distraction.
Brach grabbed my arm and dragged me away from the others.
“Ow!” I wrenched my arm out of his grasp. “What is your problem?”
“Look, we’ve spent a year in the same house, right?”
“So?”
“So, I wanted to see if your opinion of me had changed.”
“What do you mean?” I asked cautiously.
“Well, when I first told you I loved you, you didn’t love me back, right?”
“Right.” Now my foice was full of suspicion. I could see Brach take a deep breath.
“Do you love me now?”
“Oh, Brach! Don’t do this!” I said, exasperated.
“Tell me.” He looked into my eyes, and I could see the flicker of hope hidden in his own.
I looked around wildly, as if one of the trees would give me my answer.
“Tell me.” He said insistently.
“No!” I blurted out. I put my hand over my mouth. “Brach…”
Brach nodded slowly. “Ok. I wont bring it up again.”
“I’m sorry.”
Brach turned and walked away. I debated over whether or not I should tell Sensa, and then decided against it. She looked at me; her eyes filled with the question I knew would be there. I shook my head slightly. She shrugged, as if to say ‘your choice’.
“So, what are we going to do during the day, now that I can’t fly?” Malidan harrumphed, disgruntled that I had made him land so soon after taking off.
“Well,” I hesitated “ we still need a plan of action for when we get there.”
“We fly in, we attack, then BOOM! no more Amyras.” Brach said, using excessive hand gestures.
“We’ll need a distraction.” I said. This caused Brach to stop and think.
Sensa sauntered over gracefully.
“Well, we could…” I started. Brach and Sensa whipped around to look at me. I started. The sudden attention caused the idea to disappear. “Never mind.” I murmured.
“What about an army of Anthro?” Sensa said simply. She smiled, showing white, pointy teeth that were more fox than human.
“Would Chief Cifilo agree?” Brach mused.
“Of course.” Sensa said, gesturing to Brach. “You are, after all, a prince now.”
“True.” Brach said thoughtfully.
“This means you have to go ask him, Mister Prince.”
“What? Why? But…” Brach sputtered, trying to get out of doing it. “ I don’t know my way through the forest.” Brach said. “ Amile led us through before, remember?”
“I told him I would take him back to the village. “You have no excuse now.”
“Fine.”
While Brach was in the village talking to Chief Cifilo, I waited just inside the edge of the forest. It had been a long time since Brach had left, and I was unsure whether or not I should go to him. I took a few steps forward then decided that if he was still in audience with Chief Cifilo, he didn’t need me. I shook my head, and turned around. A hand appeared out of nowhere and appeared on my shoulder. I jumped out of my skin and screamed.
“Amile.” The voice attached to the hand on my shoulder spoke. It was familiar, calming. It was Brach. He turned me around.
“So,” I tried to be casual “what did Chief Cifilo say?” I stuck my hands behind my back so that Brach couldn’t see how badly they were shaking.
“He said he would do whatever he could to help. But that’s not important right now.” He looked at me closely. “You’re shaking. Did I really scare you that badly?”
I nodded, fearing that if I spoke, I would start crying. I took a deep breath.
“Lets get back. You’ve been gone for ages.” I turned away from Brach and started walking. We made it back to the camp in relative silence.
“So?” Sensa demanded as soon as she saw us.
“Chief Cifilo is willing to help.” Brach said.
“Where’s Malidan?” I asked.
“Asleep. Just over there.” Sensa pointed to a bunch of trees. “He wanted to get some sleep now if he’s going to be flying all night.”
“You two should do the same.” Brach said. “I can sleep while we’re flying.”
“No thanks.” I chirped. “ I can sleep on Malidan’s back too. We’re low on food. I’m gonna go find some.”
Brach opened his mouth as if to protest.
“No.” I held my hand up. “Do you want to starve?”
Before Brach could say anything, I had turned around and walked off. I went in the opposite direction to the village. I spotted what looked like an apple tree up ahead. I was still about an egku from the tree when a little man jumped out of the bushes.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment