Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 11 - The Battle

With everyone she loves gone in a fire, Amile decides to get revenge on the one who started it - The King.
Accompanied by Brach, one of the few other survivors, Amile sets out on a journey - of danger, mystique - and a very real possibility of love.

Chapter 11 - The Battle

Chapter 11 - The Battle
I looked at Brach. He caught the meaning of my look, took Sensa’s elbow and hurried out of Muti.
“Come along now, father.” I said, slipping my arm through the crook of Salven’s elbow. We hurried back through the streets of Muti. One we had left the town, we broke into a run. I glanced behind me. People were running everywhere. I stopped.
“What’s happening?” I yelled, my hair whipping around in the wind. Smoke started to rise from the town in front of us.
“He’s burning it! Just like he did Malsuma!” Brach answered.
“But why?”
“He knows.” Sensa said, a dark look in her eyes. “ He knows about Brach.”
“About me? “ Brach had a look of panicked confusion on his face. “What’s so special about me? Except the whole,” he lowered his voice “Prince thing.”
“Your mother. After… Ordan disappeared, your mother fled to Malsuma while she was pregnant. Amyras must have found out that Ordan had a son.”
The flames were now leaping high, swallowing Muti.
“You mean he has someone following us?” I asked.
“Not necessarily.” Sensa shook her head. “He can see things in his minds eye. He is a Sorcerer.”
“We have to get to him as soon as possible!” Brach declared. “Before he burns down the whole of Ashielat.”
“Call Malidan.” Salven said to me.
“But people will see him!”
“Who cares? Amyras knows were coming anyway.”
I shrugged. “Malidan!” My call went to the winds.
Malidan came soaring out of the sky, Apiia beside him, matching him for size.
“Apiia! You’ve grown!” I exclaimed as they landed.
“No time for niceties, get on!” Salven ordered.
I willingly obeyed, stationing myself at the base of Apiia’s neck. Malidan sat back on his haunches and took off. We flew for days, the days and night blurring together. Divoil was only the next town from Muti. We arrived in the dead of night right outside the walls of the town.
“We attack at dawn.” Salven announced. “We’ll camp here.”
I hefted my bag over my shoulder, dumping it in front of me. Brach had already started to build a fire. Even though I knew I shouldn’t have, I set the logs that Brach was arranging alight.
“Hey!” Brach snatched his hand away.
“Sorry. I thought I was being helpful.” I shrugged.
Salven strode back into the firelight. “No fires.”
Brach stood up. “Why?” he challenged.
“Because we don’t want them to know exactly where we are.”
I put out the fire, giving a shiver and wrapping my arms around myself. The night passed slowly. I didn’t sleep, - thinking about the battle that lay ahead worried me. Dawn broke behind the castle. Brach and Salven had been preparing themselves, as well as Sensa and I for the battle.
“I still don’t think it’s a good idea for you and Sensa to go.” Brach said, sheathing his sword.
I swung around, planting my hands on my hips. “Well were coming, so get over it.”
Brach held up his hands in surrender, and then backed off. I buckled my Sikaan around my waist, having already stripped off my constricting skirts. I wore Queen M’Lady’s battle clothes underneath it all the time now. The captain of the Anthro army came over while I swung myself onto Malidans back. A moment later Brach followed suit. Salven nodded to the captain, who in turn motioned to the rest of the army. Malidan spread his wings and took off. The Anthro army stormed the castle, Amyras’ army finally getting wind of what was happening and pouring out of the castle. The sounds of metal on metal ensued. Malidan circled the battle overhead, keeping us safe until we were needed. Amyras’ army outnumbered ours, but the Anthro had the advantage of magic. Bodies fell to the ground, already muddy with blood.
“Malidan.” I leaned down do that he could hear me. “Now. While he’s distracted by the battle.”
Malidan answered by shooting into a steep dive, pulling up just in time to land on the turreted roof of the tower. Brach, not wasting time, shimmied down Malidans tail before swinging into the tower room. I followed. The room we were in was empty.
“Ok, what now?” I whispered.
“We wait. Knowing him, he’ll want to watch the battle, and this is the best view.”
There were footsteps on the stairs.
“Hide!”
“Where?” I looked around wildly.
Brach grabbed me and pulled me into the shadows behind the door, just before it opened. One of Amyras’ guards stepped in. he glanced quickly around the room.
“There’s no-one here, My Lord.” He spoke to someone on the stairs. A moment later Amyras entered the room. He stood tall, with his waist-length brown hair hanging loose under the crown on the top of her head. He turned, and I saw his eyes. I let out a small gasp, Brach slapping his hand over my mouth. Amyras’ eyes were blood red, with only a slit of black to serve as a pupil.
“Very good.” His voice seemed to slither around him like a snake. “Go now. I will watch in peace.”
The guard nodded and left the room. Amyras strolled over to the window.
“Brilliant” he said to himself “this is brilliant! It’s all coming together. My bratty nephew down there when swipe! One of my soldiers takes his head off.”
‘Stay here’ Brach mouthed to me. I shook my head no. Brach nodded yes, then immediately turned away, not giving me a chance to answer.
“One problem.” Brach said. Amyras whirled around. “I’m right here.”
“You!” Amyras snarled. He pulled a hidden sword out of the folds of his cloak. “ I’ll just have to kill you myself then!”
Brach pulled out his own sword and took the first swing. After blocking Brach, Amyras sent a blast of energy at Brach so hard that it threw him back against the wall. Amyras stood over him; ready to do whatever it took to kill Brach. I couldn’t see him breathing, and stumbled out of the shadows.
“You killed him!” I screeched.
Again, Amyras whirled. “Who are you?”
“My name is Amile.” I grabbed my sikkan from my waist and shot a strong bolt of lightning at Amyras. He blocked it easily. I could see Brach start to get up. Relieved, I knew I had to keep Amyras busy.
“Tell me one thing. Why?”
“Why what?” Amyras sneered.
“Why kill Brach? Why kill King Salven? Why burn down Malsuma? Or Muti?” tears started down my cheeks. I brushed them away.
“ I killed my dear older brother because he was in my way. So was his dear son.”
“In the way of what?”
“My power!” Amyras blasted energy at me. I didn’t even try to block it. It didn’t kill me, but another one like that would. Amyras sheathed his sword. “But now that, Brach, was it? Yes, well now that he’s dead, there’s no one to stand in my way. Except you, of course.”
Brach was on his feet now, and breathing heavily. “Hey Amyras?”
Amyras spun.
“Do I look dead to you?” Brach plunged his sword straight through Amyras’ chest. Amyras fell to the floor, dead.
“Oh my God, Brach!” I ran into his arms. “I thought he’d killed you!”
I hugged him tighter, if only to prove to myself that he was actually there.
“I’m sorry.” he said.
“What for?”
“I didn’t want you to come in the first place, then after I told you I loved you I pressured you to go home when I knew you wouldn’t. Oh, and for almost getting you killed just then.”
“But I do.” I spoke into his shoulder.
“You do what?”
“Love you.” I looked up into his eyes. “I love you, Brach.”
I had barley finished my sentence before Brach was kissing me. He rested his forehead on mine on mine for a minute before letting me go.
“What are you doing?”
Brach turned to the window, raising his sword into the air. “Telling them who won.”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment