Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Necro.....what?

Follow Aslynn on a adventure to a new vampyre school where she encounters love, loss and defeats a gruesome enemy.

Chapter 3 - Necro.....what?

Chapter 3 - Necro.....what?
When I woke up my head was in Josh’s lap and his bleeding wrist was being held up to my mouth. Warm fresh blood was flowing into my mouth and I was lapping it up like a thirsty puppy. I heard Josh sighing contentedly and forced myself to pull away and let him heal the wound (vampyres can heal their wound by focusing on only the wound and it changes some kind of hormone or something like that). Looking up at Josh I could tell he’d been letting me drink for a while, when vampyres drink from live victims they both experience a feeling like when humans get high. “Josh!” I yelled holding back a giggle fit. He looked down and his eyes were glazed over. He clamped a hand over my mouth and shushed me, and then we both erupted into laughter.
“Josh,” I said again only less urgently this time.
“I warned you woman,” was all he said before he bent over and sealed his lips to mine.
His kiss was slow but eager and I melted into him, laying with my head in his lap his lips against mine felt so right. He pulled away first and I could tell his normal self had taken control again (the high doesn’t last long). I noticed that he hadn’t pulled back all the way yet and I took a chance. Putting both of my hands on his face I pulled him back in for another long kiss. This time he didn’t pull back until we both had to breathe. Clearing his throat he got up slowly and I sat up too. “Careful,” he warned and I knew what he meant, as soon as I sat up I started seeing stars and felt dizzy. He came back and handed me something.
“Eat,” he commanded and started eating a sandwich himself.
I looked at the sandwich he handed me, “Nutella on whole wheat? How did you know?” I asked wondering how in the world he had known my favorite sandwich.
“I never forget anything. You had that for lunch on the train yesterday,” he explained, color slowly rising into his cheeks. By the time he had finished explaining himself my sandwich was gone and while he was still eating I got up to get a better look at his room. I noted that a laptop, full library of books, and a mini-fridge had made their way into his room since this morning.
“Students I’m sorry to announce that our head chef Ms Anne Roberts was found dead this morning. A memorial service will be held in her honor as soon as the blizzard blows over.”
“Who was that?” I asked Josh.
“Headmaster Thomas, he lives here year round,” he explained sounding rather melancholy. In my gut I had a feeling that no matter what anyone else said, the thing that I say was responsible for Ms Roberts’ untimely demise.
“So can I return to my room tonight or am I being held captive here?” I asked half jokingly.
“You’re stuck here until they figure out what happened,” said Josh a smirk finding its way onto his face.
“Let’s watch a movie,” I suggested and I could practically see the cloud above Josh’s head dissipating.
“Hmmmm, have you seen…” he trailed off deep in thought about what movie to watch.
“Ok no laughing but when I had a bad day my mom would put in Mulan to distract me from whatever had happened,” I said and now it was my turn to blush. It seemed so childish now that I was sorry I had suggested it and I could see him holding back laughter.
“Mulan it is,” was all he said before he started moving the dresser so that we could set the TV on it and watch the movie while sitting on his bed. After he rented the movie from Netflix we settled on his bed his arm around my shoulders. Somewhere in between Mulan stealing her father’s armor and her almost getting kicked out of the military he passed out. I tried to do the same but I just couldn’t shake the feeling that the thing that I saw was responsible for Ms Roberts’s death so I carefully climbed off his bed so as not to wake him and made my way over to his laptop. Praying it wasn’t password protected I turned it on. For the first time since I had arrived at this school something went right! Not only was it not password protected but it also had internet access. I got on the internet and went straight to Google. Then I realized I didn’t even know what it was I was looking for, so there was no way I could Google it without drowning in tens of thousands of unrelated results.
Feeling discouraged I shut down his laptop and walked over to the bookshelf to see if there was something to read until Josh woke up. Skimming through the carefully organized sections containing encyclopedias and various other research books I noticed that most of the books had a paranormal theme:
Most Haunted Destinations in the World by R.J. Hammer
Visits from the Other Side: Ghost Stories from all 50 States by Meghan Wolfe
Paranormal Studies: a Complete Encyclopedia on all things Paranormal by Chris Baker
I stopped at that one and pulled the massive book from the shelf, clinging to the hope that maybe the thing I saw would be in it and that I may finally have answers. Going through the pages one by one, studying each picture and making sure it’s not the creature I saw was tedious work. In fact I was so absorbed in my work that I didn’t notice Josh was awake until he spoke right over my shoulder.
“Whatcha looking for?” he asked.
“Josh! I thought you were asleep!” I practically shouted, while trying to restart my heart.
“Was, but people tend to wake up. I repeat whatcha looking for?” he said adding a smile that made his dimples resurface. I didn’t want to tell him because I didn’t know if I could take the rejection that was certain to follow my conclusion but his large sapphire eyes were practically begging me to tell. Before I knew it I was spilling my guts about everything and when I was done he didn’t burst out laughing or look at me like I had lost my mind like most people would have done. Instead he looked like he was deep in thought.
“Sounds like a Necrolancer to me,” and he took the encyclopedia from my lap. A few minutes later he seemed to have found the page he was looking for because he handed the book back to me. At the top of the page in big letters it said: Necrolancer. I began reading the article that followed:
Necrolancers are ghost like creatures bent on avenging their death and returning to the land of the living. To do so they must kill any creature that has supernatural blood (vampyres, unicorns etc) and drink their blood. Many necrolancers choose to kill vampyres because their blood is more potent. With each killing their body will literally grow again; bone first and then flesh covering the bone. A necrolancer can only kill during the full moon; most will kill dozens if not more within that time period. Necrolancers that desire their bodies faster must kill anyone (or their descendants) involved in their death. There is no known way to kill a necrolancer once its body has grown back completely. Being that necrolancers don’t appear to everyone, they can only be killed by someone they have revealed themselves to, but that person cannot be easily corruptible. They have been known to reveal themselves to weak minded creatures only to manipulate them into sacrificing themselves. Only one person has ever killed a necrolancer, Nikoli Stafford in 1824, he passed away shortly after the necrolancer’s death. It is said that the one that deciphers the following riddle and acquires the weapon mentioned will be able to vanquish a necrolancer.
With haunting eyes and showing bones
Most hide and shriek in high pitched tones
Face the creature if you must
But bring with you one you trust
Old and useless it may appear
Its purpose is quite unclear
Its power and might you can’t imagine in the least
It will help you kill the beast

“Well that isn’t helpful,” I said, discouraged once again.
“Maybe you just need to think about it for a little bit,” offered Josh, who had been reading over my shoulder the whole time.
“I have to get in the shower, while you ponder this useless riddle,” I growled thoroughly frustrated. Just then I remembered where I was.
“shoot! I have nothing to wear!” I screamed because nothing was going right.
Pulling himself to his feet Josh said, “Wait here.” As he walked to his dresser I sat there pondering what he could have that I could wear and why he would have something that a girl would wear.
“Sorry about the lack of options,” he said throwing one of his t-shirts at me, “it’s all I have that would fit you.” Grumbling to myself I walked into the bathroom and slammed the door shut. After I got the temperature just right I got in, enjoying the warm water and time to myself.
No matter what I tried thinking about the riddle kept making its way into my head. Ignoring all of the other lines I focused on: Old and useless it may appear, its purpose is quite unclear. It has to be some form of weapon that doesn’t look like a weapon because then its purpose would have been clear and it wouldn’t look useless. I can see the creature and I’m not going to be sacrificing myself to it so I have to be the one that is going to kill it. All of a sudden I heard a knock at the door.
“Aslynn? You planning on coming out? It’s been nearly an hour and a half,” Josh called through the door.
“Yea! Give me five minutes!” I said and then hesitantly turned the water off. Sighing at my lack of wardrobe options I pulled on my underclothes and reluctantly put on Josh’s t-shirt. I unlocked and opened the door so that I could talk to Josh while braiding my long hair when I noticed my grandmother’s locket still tangled in my discarded pile of clothes. “What’s that?” I heard Josh ask but I was too deep in thought to even respond to the question. I was remembering the day that my grandmother gave me the locket; she was on her deathbed when she shoved this into my hands,
“Swear to me that you’ll protect this no matter what. It’s more valuable than it looks.” I swore to her but I never knew what she meant the darn thing wouldn’t even open for me; I just chalked it up to a dying woman’s scrambled brains. Flipping over the necklace I noticed for the first time an engraving on the back,
A game of hide and seek we played
Now you’ve found me to work we get
Put me near an awful beast
And their soul shall be ours to keep

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment