Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Reunited with the Past

A girl makes friends with the Pharaoh of Egypt and all things go wrong once the famous Thief King discovers their relationship.

Chapter 2 - Reunited with the Past

Chapter 2 - Reunited with the Past
Seania ran down the stairs that led to the entrance of the palace. Once at the bottom, Seania stopped.
"What am I doing?" Seania said to herself in confusion. "I'm running away from someone I haven't seen in four years. My childhood friend, Atem. He was so nice to let me go and how do I repay him? I run away."
Seania thought some more, trying to unravel the knot of confusion in her mind. Why did she run away? Was she afraid that he was a ghost and would disappear if she lingered long? Everything was too confusing and frustrating for the poor girl. She had o make up her mind if she wanted to go and see Atem again or not.
Finally she decided and ran around to the west wall of the palace. She scanned the wall and spotted a large root looking vine hanging over the wall. Seania smiled and hurried over to the vine. Once she was on top of the wall, she got into the tree that the vine was attached to.
This tree brought back so many memories for Seania. When Atem and she were young, they would always climb over the wall and play in the market place. Seania smiled as she recalled those fond memories. She peered over into the palace garden, its flowers blooming in every color of the rainbow and reflecting the sun off their delicate petals. Pots and racks of flowers hung on standing pillars, draping over the sides. The garden was always beautiful in daytime and nighttime. Seania was about to get down when she heard a noise coming from the entrance to the garden. She ducked down into the tree and peered through the leaves at the garden below.
A man came running into the clearing and stopped to catch his breath. Seania's eyes widened with surprise to see that the man down there was Pharaoh Atem. He glanced around for a few seconds until his gaze fell back on the entrance he had just come through.
Noises echoed from the corridor, the sound of padding sandals and muffled giggling. Seania was puzzled by Atem's frantic expression. He glanced around once more and seemed to gaze right up to her. Her breath caught in her throat as he ran towards the tree.
"Did he see me already?" Seania thought, frightened. Why was she frightened? He was her friend, her best friend. It should be wonderful if he saw her. This was the back of her mind talking under all the fear. Before she knew it he hoisted himself in the tree. She pressed as far back as the trunk would allow her and closed her eyes, waiting for contact. He sat just in front of her, peering out through the twisted branches.
"I think he ran in here," said one of the three people that entered the garden. They were three women with beautiful dresses and jewelry. The sun that lit the garden reflected off the jewelry that hung from their necks, wrists, and earlobes.
"Are you sure he went in here?" asked another girl.
"Well he better be because I have to ask him if he'll marry me," stated the last of the three girls. Atem groaned and backed up a little. Seania pulled her legs to her body and watched the three girls with disgust.
"What makes you think he'll marry you, Anzu? What if he wants to marry me or Reaka," asked one of the girls.
"Yeah, Seta is right. He might marry any one of us. It might be you, Anzu, or it might be Seta, or even me," answered Reaka. Anzu grinned and let out a small chuckle.
"You girls are such fools. He won't marry you two because you dont know how to please him," explained Anzu as she took a seat next to the small fishpond. Seania's eyes narrowed and she gripped her knees.
"What do you mean by please him?" asked Seta, puzzled.
"What I mean is you two are no competition for me. I'm more rich and beautiful then you both combined. I've had experience with men and know what they like. So don't even bother trying to win Pharaoh Atem's heart, because it's already mine," explained Anzu, flipping her short brown hair back with pride gleaming in her blue eyes.
Seania's cheeks burned with anger. How could she know what men like and want? What did she mean when she said Atem's heart was hers? And how could she call herself beautiful. All Seania saw was an ugly, lying, spoiled witch. She glanced over at the other two girls and read their expressions perfectly. They thought the same thing that Seania did.
"Let's forget are little chat and keep looking for the Pharaoh. I know he's in here somewhere," finished Anzu with a smirk of dominance. She stood up and walked passed the other two girls and began looking some more. Seta and Reaka snapped back to reality and began looking as well.
The girls separated across the garden and searched in all the bushes and behind the pillars. Reaka walked towards the tree and stood on her toes to peer inside. Atem quickly moved backwards and collided with Seania. She shrieked but quickly covered her mouth. He yelped as well and quickly turned around to gaze into Seania's frightened eyes.
Atem stared bewildered at her, his mouth ajar. His eyes wandered up and down her, making sure she was real. He was about to reach out and touch her when he heard a snap. He quickly turned around and climbed up one more branch so Reaka couldnt see him. Seania was too far back to be seen. There was an echo in the corridor that caught all the girls attention.
"Did you hear that?" asked Seta, straining for the slightest bit of sound to come again.
"I think it was Atem. He's running away again," said Reaka as she started for the entrance.
"Out of my way, low lives. I get to see him first," shouted Anzu coldly as she pushed her way to the front and ran towards the noise. Seania let out her held breath and looked up to see Atem gazing down at her fondly.
"It really is you isn't it?" he asked softly, climbing down to the big branch she was on. Seania was lost for words. His gaze was so captivating it caused her to blush lightly, but she nodded. He reached out and gripped her hand gently, a smile forming on both their lips.
"How about we get out of this tree," he chuckled and jumped down. Reaching up, Atem lifted Seania by the waist down to his level. Seania looked deep in his eyes for what seemed like an eternity. Atem smiled back and gently brushed her cheek. Without hesitation Seania wrapped her arms around Atem's neck and pulled him into a loving hug.
"I missed you so much, Atem," Seania whispered in his ear. "I thought you'd forgotten about me." She pressed her face against his neck, taking in his warm scent. Atem returned the hug, burying his face in her soft hair and pulling her closer.
"How could I forget someone like you, Seania?" he laughed gently, stroking her hair. They pulled away and gazed into each others eyes until Seania looked away, blushing again. He was so handsome since she saw him four years. He motioned for her to sit by the pond. She walked with him, still half dreaming.
"I missed you so much Seania. When my father passed on to the afterlife everything became stricter and more boring. Everyday I wished I could go back to the carefree times we spent in the market playing as little children. I had to grow up faster then I wanted to," sighed Atem. He dipped his fingers into the pond, admiring the small ripples it made.
"I'm sorry," Seania replied softly, also putting her fingers in the water. She twirled a design and watched the ripples melt into each other.
"Why are you saying sorry? It's not your fault. You weren't born into a royal family", Atem answered.
"But I feel like I can't help you with this," she added.
"You're helping more than you know right now," Atem answered quickly, grabbing her hand. "You being here is enough for me to smile for days." Seania blushed and looked up shyly. "You know what's funny? I prayed to the gods this morning for something interesting to happen. I just didn't think that they'd bring you to me."
"Well aren't you a lucky man," Seania said with a laugh. She swiped her hand up and splashed water in his face. Atem stood up, eyes wide and jaw dropped.
"You dare soil the Pharaoh's clothes?" Atem asked jokingly.
"You're not the Pharaoh to me. Your just Atem, the boy I met ten years ago," answered Seania with a playful grin. Atem smiled widely and scooped up some water. "Oh no you dont!" shouted Seania as she ran across the garden. She glanced back at Atem and ran straight into something hard and fell on her butt.
"Ow," mumbled Seania as she looked up to see the roadblock. Icy blue eyes glared down at her. A tall man in priest robes stood before her, regaining his center of gravity. He had a small staff clutched in one hand.
"What is a peasant doing in the palace gardens?" he growled, bending down to pick up Seania by the arm.
"Wait! Its ok Seth, she's with me," Atem quickly intervened. He ran over and stood between Seania and Seth.
"Well tell her to leave, because you have more important manners to attend to. Meet me in the throne room," finished Seth as he turned around and quickly strode down the corridor.
"I'm so sorry to cut this visit short, but duty calls," Atem said sadly. "But I wish to see you later today." He took Seania's hands in his and looked deep into her eyes. "Please?"
Seania giggled and averted her eyes shyly. "Of course. How about the market? Like old times," she offered. Atem's eyes sparkled with delight.
"Excellent. We'll meet by the jewelry stand. Where we first met," he answered. "I'll have some guards escort you out of you'd like?"
"No, that's ok. I can just leave the way I came in," Seania replied, glancing to the large tree.
"I will not have that. You will at least be escorted to the front doors. I wont have you climbing over walls and being mistaken for some thief," Atem answered, grabbing her hand and pulling her out of the garden.
"Wait, it's no trouble to . . ." but Seania didnt finish. She knew Atem wasn't going to budge and that made her smile. He still was over protective of her, even if it involved little things. "Ok I agree to go out the front doors but you have to take me there. I dont want to walk with some stranger."
Atem chuckled and gripped her hand tighter. "Of course, milady," he replied with a respectful bow. She blushed and followed him out to the front door. "Until later today," Atem said. He held her hand up to his lips and placed a light kiss on it. Chuckling at how red Seanias face was, Atem bowed once more and left to attend his duties.
Seania's heart was fluttering and waves of emotion were sweeping her off her feet, but this time the emotions were positive. She smiled widely and skipped back to her house. Seeing Atem again was almost too overwhelming and the fact that he was unbelievably handsome. So much better then the boy she met ten years ago. Even though they were seven back then she still liked the Atem she knew now. These were going to be the longest hours of the day for Seania as she waited to meet him in the market.

***

Atem walked back into the palace with his heart pumping. He couldn't believe Ra reunited him with her, his long lost friend, and first love. She was so beautiful and all grown up. He smiled to himself every time her blushing face flashed through his memory. Not looking where he was walking, Atem bumped right into Seth.
"Excuse me, milord. I was not paying attention," Seth explained as he bowed. Atem snapped back to reality and glanced up at Seth as he rose to his full height.
"I'm sorry Seth. It's my fault. What was it that you wanted to ask me about?" asked Atem politely. Seth's gaze softened and the corner of his mouth curved up in a small grin.
"I guess it can wait. You seem to have a lot on your mind. Do you want to talk about it?" he asked. Atem scratched that back of his head in thought and then smiled again.
"I wouldn't want to bore you with my personal life, Seth. Besides you seemed really keen on telling me something earlier. Lets get to it." Seth smiled and outstretched his arm down the hallway, giving Atem a direction to walk in.
"It's about the recent attention to a number of raids on the outskirts of your city. They've begun to slowly travel inwards and some are becoming dangerously close to your palace," Seth explained as they walked the halls of the palace.
"Yes it is getting quite suspicious. I'm wondering if . . . no. I dont think so," Atem pondered, stopping for a moment to collect his thoughts.
"You're not suggesting that its-"
"Maybe, but Im not entirely sure. He hasn't been spotted for some time. Well not since my father's death at least. I wonder if he's planning something?" Atem began to walk again and the two were silent, deep in thought until they turned the corner.
"There you are!" shouted a woman as she ran towards Atem. She threw her arms around him and squeezed him tightly. Extremely confused and irritated, Atem pulled free from the embrace and looked over the woman. It was princess Anzu from before in the garden when he was running away from her. The Pharaoh frowned and sighed.
"What is it that you want milady?" Anzu smiled sweetly and then turned to Seth with a frown.
"Leave us priest. We need to be alone," she barked as she gripped Atem's hand and pulled him over. Seth bowed respectfully but shot the bratty princess an icy glare before leaving, a dark cloud of irritation looming over him. "Oh Atem I've been looking for you everywhere. This place is so big, but of course it has to be because you're the Pharaoh," she laughed, pulling him even closer.
Atem looked away, not wanting to look into her eyes, afraid that she'd paralyze him somehow with witchcraft. "What is it that you needed me for?" he growled irritated.
"Oh honey, why would you ask such a silly question like that? To spend time with you of course! So what are we going to do?" she asked, now hugging his arm. Atem hated women like this that thought he was in love with her or something. Seania was so much different then her. The thought of her made Atem smile and forget about Anzu for at least two seconds, until she tugged on his arm impatiently.
"How about we go to the marketplace. There's a new import on jewelry that I think youll like," he said, pulling her towards the stables where the palanquin was. She smiled and followed eagerly. Hopefully once they were in the market, Atem could escape and find Seania. He did not want to spend one more minute with this brat.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment