Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - Gainred's Quest

This is a little story I did for sixth grade E.P.P. (Extended Projects Program)during the Fantasy unit. That was my favorite unit ever! : ) So originally this was 13 pages long, and it still is.

Chapter 6 - Gainred's Quest

Chapter 6 - Gainred's Quest


Chapter 4

Gainred's Quest

As Gainred ventured out of the mouth of the cave he decided to take one of the swords on the rack of weaponry. A suitable choice, since he did have to venture out on his own and defend his own. As soon as he walked out of the cave he decided to head where the swampland was. Which… was… everywhere. Great, that was a lot of help on finding the Barmus Swamp. A lot of help indeed. He was, of course, thinking sarcastically, but that didn't help at all. Complaining never got anyone anywhere. He decided to head due northeast, since the spider said that the swamp he was looking for was a barren wasteland, and the direction northeast had the least trees. As Gainred was walking, he heard a low rumbling. He wondered what it was. The ground started to shake, and a blast of heat met Gainred face on. There was a very loud and deep voice that practically shouted “WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE, INSIGNIFIGANT HUMAN CHILD?'

This, Gainred assumed, was the Great Dragon. Now, what to do? There was no point in hiding, since the dragon had already spotted him. No use in fighting it, either. What was the next best way to defeat a dragon?

To be heard, Gainred had to shout. “I challenge you to a riddle match. I'll name my terms, and you'll name yours. If I win, I get the Dragon Stone. You name what happens if I lose.”

“I eat you.”

This took Gainred by surprise. He didn't mind giving up his sword, or dueling with the dragon; okay, that last part wasn't quite true, he did mind dueling with a dragon, but being eaten? He wasn't ready for it yet, and there was no backing out now.

“Well, here goes. You start.” Gainred hoped his voice wasn't as shaky as he felt. There was no time to contemplate on this now, since the dragon was already posing the first riddle.

“What has roots as nobody sees,

Is taller than trees

Up, up it goes,

And yet never grows?”

Lucky for Gainred he'd always been quick to see things, and he had heard that riddle before. “That's easy, a mountain.” Obviously the dragon had underestimated his intelligence. “Now it's my turn.

It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,

Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt.

It lies behind stars and under hills,

And empty holes it fills.

It comes first and follows after,

Ends life, kills laughter.”

“I know that one, the dark. Here's your riddle:

Voiceless it cries,

Wingless it flutters,

Toothless bites,

Mouth less mutters.”

Gainred had to think about that one for a while. Suddenly and triumphantly he cried “Wind! It's the wind! Here we go.

What force and strength cannot get through

I with a gentle touch can do,

And many in the street would stand

Were I not a friend at hand.

“You think that to be a challenge? Get real! The answer is a key. I bet you can't answer this one.

This thing all devours:

Birds, beasts, trees, flower;

Gnaws iron, bites steel;

Grinds hard stones to meal;

Slays king, ruins town,

And beats high mountain down.”

Gainred thought and thought. He couldn't think of anything. The dragon was drawing uncomfortably closer. The heat got more intense. No matter how hard he racked his brains, he could not think of an answer. Finally, with sweat making a steady stream down his face, he made a guess. “Some sort of all-knowing guru?”

“ABSOLUTLEY WRONG!” The giant voice boomed. The correct answer is time, of which your life is now lacking. Prepare to be eaten!”

With that, Gainred prepared for death, but the blow never came. He heard the monster cry out in anguish. When he dared to take a peek, he saw that the Matber had followed him. It had slain the dragon for him, but had sacrificed its own life for him. Tears streaming down his face, Gainred ran over to the Matber and cradled it in his arms. The tiny creature was actually his oldest friend and best companion.

A bolt of lightning struck close by, a bit too close, actually, and Gainred shook, stood still for a few seconds, and then collapsed.


Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment