Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Chapter Two- Maui

Double Take is a fanfiction about the guys who play Harry and Ron in HP and two girls based on my and my friend. (I'm Gem) lol. If I actually finish this story and it turns out ok, I'm gonna send it out to see if I can get it published. tell me what

Chapter 2 - Chapter Two- Maui

Chapter 2 - Chapter Two- Maui


Chapter Two- Maui

She awoke the next morning to the toe of a boot nudging her lightly in the side. Sitting up, she saw her father standing above her.

“It's nearly nine o'clock. We've got a lot of work to do today. No sleeping in. I want you up and helping me bring in the boxes.” He said, walking away.

As he shut the door behind him, Gemini sat up, looking around at her room as the sun streamed in through the window above her.

¤¤¤

The living room, she saw, was now littered with boxes and there was still much work to be done. As she stepped out the front door, she saw her father standing beside the van, attempting to balance several boxes on top of each other.

The morning seemed long, but before either of them knew it, it was nearly mid-day. The hot summer sun loomed high overhead, watching as they carried numerous boxes into the small house and pelting their sore backs with its burning rays. Once all the boxes were unloaded, they set about to unpack everything. The boxes labelled Gem went to Gem's room. The boxes labelled Max went to her father's room. And the rest stayed in the living room for the time being.

The total of Gem's boxes covered one wall and filled out into her room some. She reached for the closest package and lifted it into her arms. Upon opening it, she found that she had picked the box containing her books. The bookcase they were to go on was still out in the van along with the other pieces of furniture and she hurried out to retrieve it. Returning to her room, bookcase in tow, she made her way into the corner to the right of the door. She set it down and stepped back to admire it, making sure this was in fact where she wanted it before she began loading it with heavy books and knickknacks.

The first things to go on were the books; they took up two and a half shelves, leaving two and a half more for any other odds and ends she might find while looking through the other boxes that still needed unpacking.

The next box contained bedspread and pillow. With another trip out to the van, she managed to haul her bulky mattress through the house and into her bedroom. In the third box she found her photography supplies; her camera, its hard black plastic case, the detachable flash, the multiple lenses for it, the cleaning cloth and fluid, and a few rolls of black and white film. All these items but the film, which went into the refrigerator to make it last longer, were spread out on the second to top shelf on her bookcase. As she dug through the remaining boxes lining her room, she soon stumbled upon the one holding her most prized possession: her hammock. She lifted it gingerly out of the box and held it up before her for inspection. There were a few tangles, but that was to be expected. She thought for a moment about where to place it; Where would be best to spend the rest of her summer days? She glanced out the window and, remembering the willow tree, dropped the hammock out onto the grass. Following it over the sill, she stooped to pick it up, then hurried over to the base of the tree. Gazing upward, she saw a perfect path up to the top, where she had seen the clearing in the branches the night she arrived.

Scurrying up the trunk at an almost inhuman speed, she soon arrived at the top and sat back to catch her breath. She unfolded the hammock and, locating the tie strings, commenced to hang it up. It only took a matter of minutes before the whole thing was securely fastened to the tree, and when she was done, she happily laid back on the seat she had made herself. Glancing down at the ground, she saw the boy from the night before standing at his window and gazing intently into her room. Once satisfied that she wasn't there, he disappeared.

Giggling, Gemini followed her path back down to the ground and jumped back inside. Looking around she saw that while she had been gone, her father had been kind enough to bring in her vanity and bedside dresser. She smiled and quickly rushed out into the hallway to help him drag in her wardrobe as well. He helped her set it up against the wall then spoke to her.

“I was thinking about having some of my new work mates come over for a little party later today and it would be helpful if you weren't in the house.” He said, finishing the sentence over his shoulder as he turned and walked out of her room.

She nodded and set about making sure each piece of furniture was properly placed against the walls. When this task was complete, she began rummaging through the boxes on her floor for the one containing items to go on her vanity. Locating it, she carried it over to her bed and sat down. The boy was out in his backyard playing with his dog and she couldn't help but position herself directly in front of the window where he might have a chance of seeing her. A couple times she looked into his yard to see him looking back, each time he quickly turned his head away and continued to play with his dog.

As she was lifting a stack of seven some books onto the vanity top, she turned to look at him and dropped them on accident. Gasping, she bent down to retrieve the pile from the floor. When she sat up, she looked again to see if he had seen her clumsy mistake. In that instant as she was turning her head, something round and fairly solid came pelting through her open window and struck her hard in the forehead. She toppled out of sight onto her bed and lay there for a few moments, dazed and unsure what had happened.

There was a pounding of footsteps outside her window and the boy appeared, face a ghostly shade of white, leaning into her room to see if she was ok.

“I'm really sorry about that. Did I hurt you?” He asked quickly, offering her his hand. She took it and smiled at the warmth she felt beneath her fingertips.

She shook her head. “Oh, no. I'm fine. It just kinda scared me a bit. You throw too hard.”

“Heh, yeah. I was throwing it to Ruby but I must've slipped or something. I wasn't trying to hit you.” He blushed, noticing they were still holding hands and quickly taking his away. She blushed too then scrambled over to the other side of the room where the tennis ball had stopped after bouncing off her face.

“Here, catch!” She shouted as she pitched the ball hard in his direction. He winced as it made contact with his hand, quickly dropping it to rub his palm.

“I guess I deserved that huh.” They both laughed at each other for a couple moments before the boy took a step back, saying that he had to go put Ruby inside and finish some chores.

Gem nodded and watched his retreating back. Once he had disappeared back into his house, she returned to the task of setting up her vanity. As soon as she was certain that everything was where it was supposed to be, she called down the hallway to her father that she was finished and preparing to leave.

The sun was still high among the scattered clouds and watched lazily as Gem made her way down the hot, reflecting pavement. Houses on each side of the street seemed a bit less accommodating as most had their blinds closed; though several people could be seen in their backyards playing in sprinklers or out front washing their cars. At various spots along her walk, Gem would find herself pausing to rest under the forgiving shade of a large leafy oak or birch. It was a pleasant walk and she could feel that she would have a good summer ahead of her.

Several blocks away from her house she came upon what appeared to be the local high school. It was large and made of brick, set just atop a small hill and surrounded with grass. As she approached it through the parking lot, Gemini could see small paths worn away in the grass from years of students walking across them.

Sitting down in a soft looking patch of grass below a window, she pulled out her drawing supplies and opened the pad to a blank page.

What to draw, she thought, nibbling the end of her pencil. Casting her thoughts about for a suitable picture, all she could see was a single hovering face. The boy from the backyard. No matter how hard she tried, she found it nearly impossible to get him out of her mind. There was something about him that was just so magnetically attracting to her that she could hardly imagine anyone more perfect. Soon she found herself drawing his face over and over again until it covered an entire page.

She snapped her head up as someone sat next to her, leaning over her shoulder to get a look at her notebook.

“Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to freak you out. What's your name?” The girl asked. She was short and possibly the same age as Gem with long dirty-blonde hair and pale skin. Deep blue eyes peered from beneath a layered fringe and a big white smile shone beneath them.

Gem quickly shut the book, not wanting the stranger to see the drawings she had done of the boy. “I'm Gemini McRainey. I'm new here.” She introduced as she slipped her things back into her bag.

“Maui Cavendish.” The girl smiled, waving energetically. “Where did you move here from? Are you gonna be a senior or what? Is your house near here? Have you made any friends yet? Have you been here long enough to meet anyone? Why did you move to London anyways? Do you draw a lot? Can I see your drawings? Do I bug you? Do you want to come over to my house?” She gushed, taking a gasping breath when she had finished.

Gemini couldn't help herself and broke out laughing, nearly falling onto Maui in the process. “Er, uh… What was the first question? I'm not in school anymore. I graduated last year. I haven't made any friends yet… kinda. Uh, I like to draw a lot. No you can't see my drawings. And sure, I'd love to come over to your house.”

Maui beamed and stood up, brushing the grass off her pants and laughing at Gem's response. “Good. We'll have fun. I've got plenty of friends for you. Do you need to ask your mum or something?”

“I'll ask my dad. Hold on, I'll call him.” She replied sullenly at the mention of her mother, reaching into her bag for the small cell phone.

Dialling her father's number, she raised the phone to her ear and waited.

“Hi, Daddy.” She said after a moment. “I'm up at the high school and I just met this girl Maui. She wants to know if I can come over for a while.” She waited again, biting her lip nervously as Maui giggled from behind.

There was more silence then her father spoke, “Sure, but be back before dusk. You know how to get back to our house right?”

“Yes. Thank you!” She grinned, hanging up the phone and turning back to Maui.

The girl's house proved to be only three blocks away from the school and it was an easy walk there. The house itself was large and white with grey trim and a faded black roof. The front door was black and flagged by two large rosebushes that steadily climbed their way to the roof. A perfectly tended flower garden lined the base of the house and a neat row of dark green hedges concealed the white picket fence running along the outside of the yard. It was a beautiful house in all aspects and Gemini couldn't even begin to imagine what treasures the inside might hold.

“Mum! Daddy! I'm home! I brought a friend, hope you don't mind.” Maui shouted when she entered. Gemini saw that the room they had just walked into was the living room, with a TV in the corner surrounded by couches and a small coffee table. Forward a little and to the left was a hallway lined with several doors. Far right on the facing wall was a door leading to the dining room. Maui led Gem through this door and turned left.

“Are you hungry?” She asked as they stepped into the kitchen.

“Not really; I'm good, thanks.” Gem said, watching as Maui opened up the two large cupboard doors to the pantry.

“Alright, I'll only make you one burrito then. I'm having two.” Maui giggled as she emerged from the shelves, tortillas, refried beans, and cheese in hands.

Gem raised her eyebrows and laughed as Maui set about to prepare the food. When the burritos were done, Maui lead the way down stairs to her bedroom. It was decently sized with a computer in one corner, a three person couch set up in front of it, a bed pressed against the other wall, a dresser, a bedside table, and a wardrobe all lining the remaining walls. Maui promptly flung herself over the back of the couch and began to tear away at her food. Gem laughed as she followed, taking the empty cushion on the end.

“So,” Maui said, bouncing upright so she was face to face with Gem. “Tell me about where you came from. I wanna hear what kind of friends you had. For reference.”

Gem thought. “Well, I used to live in Cornwall. My best friends were Kyleigh and James. We've all been friends since we were babies. Kyleigh is a year older than me and James's is only a couple months younger than me. They're both pretty cool. I'm gonna miss them. But we might see each other when we go off to college.”

“Neat! My friends that you get to meet have been friends with me since we were babies too. Daniel is my boyfriend. Rupert isn't. I think you might like Rupert.”

Gem blushed. “I don't know. But I'd sure like to meet them. What's Daniel like?”

“Er, he's Daniel Radcliffe.” Maui said, bracing herself as though she were expecting Gem to attack. “And Rupert's Rupert Grint.”

There was silence as Gem stared blankly at her friend. “Ok… So what are they like?”

“Don't you know who they are?” asked Maui, a confused look plastered across her face.

“No, I told you, I just moved here. You're the only one I've met really. Should I know them?”

Maui shook her head. “No. Sorry. I just thought that… Never mind. But yeah, Dan and Rupert are cool. They're funny and nice and all. Dan and I have been going out for a year and a half now. You and Rupert would be adorable together. I'm so hooking you up with him!” She beamed, bouncing a little off the back of the couch.

“Thanks… I guess. So when do I get to meet these fabled men?”

Rolling her head onto her shoulder, Maui chewed absently at the burrito in her hand. “I dunno. Are you free tomorrow? Maybe we can double date. You know, go to a movie or something.”

“That sounds fun. What movie?”

“I don't know. We'll see what there is. What kind of movies do you li--“ Maui started, cut off suddenly by the ringing of the phone on her desk. She picked it up and lifted it to her ear.

“Yes?” There was a pause and her face lit up. “Hey Danny! We were SO just talking about you! Yeah, I made a new friend. What? Oh, her name's Gemini McRainey. She's cool. You and me'er gonna get her and Rupe together. You says what? No. Yes. What are you talking about? Hey, you should, like, tell Binka and Nugget hi for me. That's great. You're great. Yeah, I miss you too. We haven't seen each other for what…” she checked her watch. “eight hours? Oh I know! You should come over and meet Gem! No. Don't do that. Yeah right now. You're so immature! Shut up. Daniel Alan Radcliffe! Goodbye. Yes, I love you too.” And with that she hung up.

“Ok, so Dan's gonna be over soon. Maybe then you'll recognize him.”

“I've only seen one guy since I got here. He lives behind me and hit me in the forehead with a tennis ball.”

Maui laughed and continued to gnaw at her food.

The two sat and talked for a few more minutes before there was a knock on the door.

“Come in!” Maui shouted, attempting to keep a mouthful of beans from spilling out of her mouth. The door opened and a tall, dark haired boy walked in. Maui looked to Gem expectantly but her friend only waved calmly at Daniel.

“So Dan, we were gonna double date with Gem and Rupert. What movie should we see?” Maui started again as her boyfriend took a seat next to her, wrapping his arms around her shoulders and kissing her lightly.

“I dunno. I'm really not pro-anything right now. All the movies are good. Action, romance, comedy, and fantasy isn't it? But you know the fantasy one looks kinda neat. What was it called again?” Asked Dan, taking a bite out of Maui's burrito.

“Here and Gone. I think that's it anyways. The one with the witches and crap?”

Daniel scowled suddenly, “Yeah, the one that copied Harry Potter?”

“Danny… They didn't copy Harry Potter. What do you think Gem? Seen it yet?”

“No, sorry.” Gem said quietly. “I haven't even seen Harry Potter. But I've read the books at least. They're brilliant!”

The couple looked suddenly shocked. “You've never seen Harry Potter? Have you at least seen any pictures from it? Posters or anything?”

“Not that I can think of. I stay around my house mostly and we don't get mags or TV or anything.” She said miserably, hanging her head. “But I've heard it's great. And that the actors are really good. Have you two seen it then?”

“I've seen it a couple times. It's the best. And the actors are fab!” Maui giggled. “The one who plays Harry is a major hottie.”

Dan breathed in sharply, frowning at his girlfriend. “And what about me? Is he better than me?”

“No, Danny. You're pretty cute too. Ooh, and Gem? You'd totally love Ron. He's great. Absolutely adorable.”

“Ron was my favourite character in the books.” Gem chuckled, biting her lip. “I can't wait to see who was cast to play him. He's probably ugly though, knowing my luck,”

“Oh well, maybe we can all watch it sometime! That would be the best. I think you'd enjoy watching it with us. Dan and Rupert can practically act out the parts. It's great.”

“When?”

Maui bounced up in her seat. “Right now? We could invite Rupert over! It would be so much fun… Oh, but it looks like it's getting dark out, you have to go don't you.”

“Yeah, but thanks for having me over. Wait, what time's the movie?” Gem asked, jumping over the couch and heading for the door.

“6:00”

“Right, I'll see you then. Bye.”

By the time Gem arrived back home it was nearly dark out. Her father's silhouette flicked past the window as he pulled the curtains back to see if she was coming. She waved as she walked past into the back yard and up the willow to her hammock. Flopping tiredly onto her back, she looked up through the branches at the fading light. Pulling out her drawing pad and pencil she used the last rays from the sun to draw the boy one more time before she headed back inside to go to sleep.


Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment