Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Chapter Four- Cheating

Double Take is a fanfiction about the guys who play Harry and Ron in HP and two girls based on my and my friend. (I'm Gem) lol. If I actually finish this story and it turns out ok, I'm gonna send it out to see if I can get it published. tell me what

Chapter 4 - Chapter Four- Cheating

Chapter 4 - Chapter Four- Cheating


Chapter Four- Cheating

“Yeah, so I was sitting right here when he threw the tennis ball in through my window and hit me.” Gem said, bouncing a little on her bed.

Maui, who had just sat down with a plate of burritos, let out a shrill laugh and fell over backwards onto a pillow that Gem had thrown at her. “I think someone has the hots for Gem!” Maui beamed, taking a bite out of the nearest burrito to her. “He was throwing that in here as an excuse to talk to you. That's so cute. I think he likes you.”

Gem rolled her eyes and grabbed her own burrito from the plate. “I dunno. He doesn't seem like to type to like someone like me. I'm not saying I don't like him or anything... ...because I do... a lot. I have a boyfriend where I used to live too and I don't know if we're still together or not… I just don't think this whole `me and him together' thing is gonna work out.”

“Whatever, Gem. I can tell he likes you. I don't care what you think.” She smiled. “And speak of the devil. Look at that.”

Gem turned to look out her window at something that had just ducked down out of sight below the stone wall and smiled when she saw Rupert reappear wearing gardening gloves and holding what looked to be a weed tight in his fist.

“No, he doesn't like you at all does he?” Maui giggled, shaking her head as she chewed on the burrito in her hand. “That's why he keeps looking over here. He just really likes `gardening'. Personally? I think you two would be adorable together. And Lord knows he needs someone who's not just a fangirl to like him.”

Gem was taken aback. “`Fangirl'?” she questioned, raising an eyebrow and setting down her food.

“Did I say fangirl? Yes, no, not fangirl like if he was an actor or something... Fangirl is just a name Dan and Rupe use to talk about, er, the girls who like them because they're hot.” Maui covered, cramming the rest of the burrito into her mouth.

“Right. I'm just gonna stop there then. Let's talk about something that doesn't confuse me.”

Maui got up and began to walk around the room, looking at everything in it. She stopped as she reached the bookcase, it's top shelves laden down with knickknacks and trinkets. Picking up the old camera gently, she returned to the bed.

“Are you a photographer?” She asked, turning it over in her hands then passing it to Gem who cradled it gently in her palms.

“My mother was. When she died I got her camera. I don't take pictures much; mostly I just draw. I've thought about taking up the hobby though. I just don't know what I'd take pictures of.” Gem said sadly, running her finger along the lens cap before returning it to Maui.

Maui thought for a moment before smiling maliciously and turning to the window, camera raised to her face as though she were about to photograph something. Gem looked around as well and could clearly see why Maui was getting at.

“Can we say `stalker'?” Gem laughed.

Maui didn't respond as she stealthily slid off the bed and onto the floor, scuttling towards the window and straightening up against the wall just out of Rupert's sight. Once he had looked away, she jumped in back in front of the window and pretended to take a second picture. He heard the noise and peered curiously over at the two girls just as Maui let out a single high-pitched scream and crumpled to the floor. Gem shook her head and laughed, taking the camera away from her friend and apologizing to Rupert who was still leaning on the wall and looking puzzled.

“God you're a dork.” Gem reprimanded, replacing the camera on its shelf.

Maui just laughed and pulled herself back onto the bed. “Well it entertained me. I dunno... I still think you guys should hook up. We need to do another double date thing again. That way you guys could get to know each other.”

Gem thought. “Another movie?”

“No.” Maui said, thinking as well. Suddenly her face lit up. “Ooh! You know what would be fun?” Gem shook her head. “We could all go swimming at my house! We haven't done that since last summer. It's really fun. Do you like to swim?”

Gem was shocked. “You have a swimming pool?” She asked skeptically, turning on her friend who simply smiled and nodded energetically. “Right then. Sounds fun enough. When would we do it?”

“Half an hour?” Maui suggested, glancing down at her watch. “I have to get back home and finish up a few chores before Mum and Dad will let me have anyone over. I should leave soon too. I'll call Dan when I get home and you can walk over and ask your little lover boy yourself.”

Gem scoffed indignantly and pushed a now laughing Maui out into the hall. “I'll see you in half an hour. Is there anything I need to bring?”

Maui turned as she reached the front door. “Uh, swimsuit, towel, sunscreen. I think that's it. I'll have a plate of burritos ready when you all get there. Remember, half an hour. Tell Rupert.”

¤¤¤

Gem pulled open the bottom drawer of her dresser and began sifting through the pile of unfolded undergarments for her old, rarely used, black bikini. After a few moments of looking, she recovered it from the back of the drawer and held it up in front of the mirror. It had been a while since last she had worn it and she prayed that it still fit. After trying it on to make sure she would be able to wear it, she crammed it, along with her sunscreen and towel, into the bottom of her art bag.

Climbing out her window, she hurried over to where Rupert was still working and hopped up onto the wall.

“Hey.” He said, smiling as he looked up at her. “What's up?”

She crossed her legs under her. “Maui was just over and said that you and I and Dan could go over to her house to swim. She had to go finish chores and we'd head over in half an hour. What do you think?”

“Yeah! I love swimming at her house. We haven't done that yet this summer. You said half an hour?” Rupert smiled, looking down at his watch as he did so.

“Yep. Can you go?” Gem asked hopefully as she moved to stand up.

Rupert nodded. “As soon as I get this done. My mum's been sick and I get stuck with her chores. All James has to do is dust the living room. Stupid brother.”

Gem choked, the name setting off a chain reaction in her mind, and hopped quickly off the wall before hurrying back to her window. “Alright, I'll see you then. Bye.” She shouted over her shoulder as she tore back inside and thrust her hand into the art bag laying open on her bed, looking for her cell phone among the pockets.

She had completely forgotten to call Kyleigh and James when she got to her new house like she had promised. She felt like and idiot and quickly dialed her boyfriend's number, hoping he wasn't too mad at her.

“Hey, James.” She said meekly when he picked up the phone.

“Gem!” James said happily on the other line. “How are you? I thought you'd forgotten me or something.”

Gem blushed and quickly responded. “I'm so sorry, James. It's just been so busy around here with all the unpacking and setting things up. I would've called you earlier but…”

James laughed. “It's ok! I'm just glad you called. I was getting worried. We've missed you a lot. Ky's getting frantic. She thinks you've replaced us. I told her you wouldn't've gotten a new girlfriend and boyfriend already and she wouldn't believe me. Have you made any friends at all yet?”

“Oh, uh. No. I haven't seen anyone at all. I've been inside getting everything out of boxes.” Gem blushed, looking over at Rupert, ashamed.

“God, I wish we could talk longer, but Kyleigh and I are going out for lunch in a bit and you called just as I was leaving. I'll tell her you say hi. I'm sorry I have to go.” James apologized.

“That's alright. I still have some stuff to do too. Maybe I'll try back later. I love you.” Gem finished as she paced around her room, trying desperately to look anywhere but Rupert.

“I love you too.” James said quickly before hanging up.

Gem set the phone back into her bag and collapsed lifelessly onto her bed. Tears welled up in her eyes and she wiped guiltily at them. It hadn't even been four days yet and she had already managed to get herself into a situation in which she would be replacing the one person who meant the world to her. She snapped the rubber band on her arm several times; wincing each time it made contact with her slowly reddening wrist.

She couldn't go on with this, with anything. She'd have to tell Maui and Rupert that she had someone back home whom she had made a promise to and so simply couldn't fall in love with Rupert. Sitting back up in bed, Gem cursed mentally at herself and reached for her glass of water.

Rupert called to her from across the fence. “You ok?” He was leaning on a rake and looking worried.

Gem hastily wiped the remaining tears away and choked out a response. “I'm fine, thanks. I just…” she fought to find the words that stayed firmly lodged in her throat. “I just got off the phone with my boyfriend, James, back at home. I was just thinking about what's going to happen to us now that I live so far away.”

Rupert's face dropped. “Y-you have a boyfriend?” He repeated confused, his shoulders slumping though he looked to be trying hard not to show his disappointment. Gem nodded. “How long have you guys been going out?”

“One and a half years. We've been together through high school and were childhood friends.”

“Right then. Well I have to get back to work now. I'll see you at Maui's.”

Gem could feel her stomach knot up as she watched him return sulkily to his chores. Everything had been going so well and now this. Then and there she swore to herself that she would not continue to like or lead on Rupert. She had to remain true to her boyfriend no matter how far away he lived. Unbeknownst to her, on the opposite side of the wall, Rupert was making a promise of his own; he would not love her for he did not want to loose what he might have of a friendship between them.

¤¤¤

Arriving at Maui's house half an hour later, Gem found that she was the last to show up and watched as her three friends splashed energetically around the pool before her.

“You can change in my room if you want, Gem. You remember where it is?” Maui said as she pulled herself out of the water and scrambled over to where Gem was standing.

“Yeah, thanks. I'll be right out.” Gem nodded, hurrying back into the house and into her friend's room. Once in her swimsuit, Gem looked over herself in the mirror and couldn't help but feel self-conscious. After a thought about it, she wrapped the towel she had brought around her chest and returned to the poolside.

Dan and Rupert were still in the water but Maui appeared to have climbed back on shore to down another burrito. Gem found her curled up on the grass, towel wrapped around her shoulders, a small lump of tortilla and beans in her hand. She squeezed it lightly so that a bit of refried beans poked out the top and licked at it happily. Sitting down beside her, Gem looked over at the boys who were now caught up in a violent water fight, sending waves of crystal droplets pelting the shoreline and the two girls resting on it.

“Maui?” She said cautiously, not wanting to interrupt what appeared to be a heartfelt moment between the burrito and her friend. “I've sort of got a problem.”

Maui looked up as she chewed aimlessly at her food. “Mgh. Sorry,” She swallowed the chunk she had in her mouth. “What's that?”

Gem hesitated. “I don't think Rupert and I are going to work out.”

“Why not?” Maui looked confused.

“Well, I know I told you, but I have a boyfriend back at home. We've been going out for one and a half years and we didn't exactly break up when I left.”

Maui pondered this for a moment then bit her lip. “Well he lives all the way out in… wherever it is you came from. It's not like you'll be seeing him at all. And he doesn't have to know about Rupert! It'll be fun! You can be all sneaky. We can break the laws of dating and whatnot. Ooh! I feel like a criminal now!” She squealed happily, rolling onto her back to stare up at the cloudless sky.

“But I can't do that to him!” Gem protested, quite near tears. “I know he wouldn't do that to me; even if I'd never find out. It's just bad karma and he means to much to me to throw away like that.”

Maui shrugged. “Suit yourself. But what'll poor Rupert think when he finds out you have someone back home?”

“He already knows. I called James earlier today and Rupert asked who I was talking to.” Gem sighed, falling back as well. “Mind you he didn't seem too pleased when I told him who it was. But I think everything'll work out even if he and I don't hook up.”

“Hm. Whatever. I'm gonna go swim now. You coming?” Maui asked as she sat up and headed towards the pool, pitching the remaining corner of her burrito at Dan's head before jumping in next to him. Water cascaded over Gem's face and towel, causing her to recoil and scoot further away from the pool.

So she sat bundled up on the shore, uncomfortably aware of Rupert's shifting gaze, and pulled the towel tighter yet around her torso.

“Are you gonna swim with us or what?” Dan called before Maui dunked him and his head disappeared below the water.

“No, I'm fine for now. Thanks.” Gem replied as he resurfaced.

Rupert swam over to her and raised himself out of the water till she could see nearly to the top of his swim trunks. “Com on, Gem! The water's fine, see?” He flicked some on her and laughed kindly. “And nothing in here'll bite… Except for maybe Maui.”

Maui bared her teeth and lunged at Rupert, aiming for his neck like a vampire. Avoiding the attack, he hopped up on shore and scrambled over to where Gem was sitting.

“Ok, her you have to worry about. But it looks like Dan's taking care of things, it'll be fine to get in now.”

He laughed as the two watched Dan leading Maui slowly towards the opposite side of the pool.

Gem rolled her eyes and turned back to Rupert. He was looking at her expectantly.

“I'm sorry. I just don't feel like swimming anymore.” Gem apologized.

“Ok. No need to then.” Rupert smiled mischievously, shaking the water from his hair onto her.

She screamed and lifted her arms to shield her face. Seeing his opportunity, Rupert quickly reached down, whipping to towel away and leaving Gem sitting beside him in now only her black bathing suit.

He looked over her once before she jumped forward in an attempt to retrieve the towel. As soon as she made contact with him though, he wrapped his arms around her thin frame and stood up.

“Put me down!” She demanded, her face pressed into his shoulder.

“As you wish.” Rupert laughed happily, striding contentedly to the poolside, dropping her promptly into the water and earning an objective shriek from a now sodden Gemini. Her head emerged just in time to see Rupert take a running jump and cannonball next to her. Waves of chlorinated water slapped her face as she turned and quickly began swimming towards the shore. Just as her fingers made contact with the edge of the pool, she was pulled back suddenly as something closed around her ankles.

Spinning around, Gem found herself face to face with Rupert. How it happened, she didn't know, but there was scarcely an inch between them, and their chests and legs were pressed together. Their noses brushed innocently between them and Gem could feel herself being drawn to him. The same force seemed to be acting on Rupert as well and soon their faces were so close that neither dared breath.

Soon both pairs of eyes were closed and Gem could feel Rupert's lips brushing hers lightly, shortly followed by the soft touch of his hands coiling around her waist. She too brought her hands up and placed them slowly on his chest. Just as they were about to kiss, both opened their eyes and pushed away, remembering their promises. Gem flushed red and Rupert opened and closed his mouth several times, trying to apologize.

“I'm so sorry.” He said after a few failed attempts to speak. “I didn't mean to… I mean… Crap. I'm really sorry, I swear it won't happen again.”

Gem shook her head. “It was my fault, I shouldn't've… I… Well I guess it's my fault anyways for not telling you I had a boyfriend the first time we met. But…” She said at a loss for words.

There was a shout from behind them and Rupert turned to see Maui holding herself away from Dan and looking shocked. “Uh, Gem? Could I borrow you for a sec?” She said, a hint of a smile playing at her lips.

Gem nodded and followed her out of the pool and behind a clump of bushes, taking a last fleeting glance at a still red Rupert swimming embarrassedly over to Dan.

Once safely out of earshot, Maui let out a muffled scream. “My God, Gem! Did you just kiss him?!” She shrieked as she bounced up and down on the balls of her feet.

“No! No I did not kiss him! I told you I can't and won't.” Gem huffed indignantly.

“Right.” Maui rolled her eyes. “Then what was that back there? Giving him a demonstration of the `mouth to mouth' technique? Was he drowning?”

Gem bit her lip. “Look, it was an accident. We both caught ourselves before anything happened. We didn't kiss and I can't like him!”

“I know, I know. But still, I can tell you guys like each other. Why not do something about it?” Maui asked hopefully, sticking out her bottom lip.

“We don't like each other!” Gem scoffed resentfully. “As I've already explained: it was an accident! Nothing happened and nothing is going to happen between us.”

Maui looked back in the direction of the pool. The splashing had stopped. “And what if you and James don't make it? Then what? Are you gonna give Rupe a chance or are you just going to be stubborn about it?” She whispered, afraid of eavesdroppers.

“I can't believe you, Maui! I think it's my decision what to do with my relationships, not yours. You and Dan can do whatever you want. That's fine. I don't tell you guys that you have to be together or apart. I've only known you three for how long now? Like, three days. Things will work out between James and I. This argument is over. Let's just get back to the pool and pretend like none of this ever happened.”

“Ok, but before we go back out there I just have one thing to say.” Maui said seriously, putting her hands on Gem's shoulders. “You two are the cutest couple ever!”

“Maui!” Gem screamed angrily chasing her friend back out to the pool.

While they had been arguing, Dan and Rupert had climbed out of the pool and were now drying off in the grass a ways away. Both boys were sprawled on their backs and talking about something but stopped as the girls walked up beside them.

Maui stood above Dan, straddling his legs, and fell to her knees on top of him. He smiled and placed his hands on her waist, pulling her down against his chest and kissed her contentedly.

Gem sat awkwardly beside Rupert and tried hard not to look in the couple's direction. Propping himself up on his elbows, he turned to her. “Do you want to go play video games or something?” He asked nervously, seeing her less than enthusiastic glare at Dan and Maui.

Sitting up abruptly, Maui beamed. “I want to play video games! Can we play video games Dan?”

Dan nodded from his position below her and moved to sit up.

Once everyone was clothed and dried off, they all headed into the living room and sat down on the floor in front of the TV.

“I'll play you!” Maui challenged once everyone was seated.

Gem looked up at her. “Me? Oh I can't play. I don't know how. Sorry.”

“That's alright.” Rupert said, picking up a controller and handing it to her. “It's easy. Maui, start the game up.”

Maui complied and set the level to beginner. Reaching over, Rupert placed his hands over Gem's, holding them tightly to the controller. “Ok, now just… Hold on… This isn't working.” He said and moved to sit behind her, sliding his arms around hers and looking at the screen from over her shoulder. Gem could feel Maui's penetrating stare but smiled inwardly to herself at the comforting warmth of Rupert's chest on her back.

He helped her patiently through the first part of the game, moving each of her fingers gently across the joystick and buttons and coaching hints into her ear.

Nearly two hours passed and by the time the four finished, scarcely an inch of table was visible below piles of randomly strewn game and CD cases. Maui and Dan were cuddled together on a reclining chair and Rupert and Gem lay at opposite ends of the three-person couch.

Dan looked down at his watch. “Well we've still got a long time till we have to leave… Does anybody want to go swim again? We didn't really spend a lot of time out there.”

Everyone agreed and soon they were all back into the water and splashing each other happily. Rupert and Gem shot awkward glances across the pool but for the most part avoided any direct contact. Maui and Dan however did achieve a successful underwater kiss along with a mouthful of chlorine and amused laughs from the other two.

Again, the hours flew by and soon Dan was motioning to his watch and jumping out of the water to dry off.

“Is it time to go already?” Rupert asked sadly, following Dan's lead and grabbing a towel.

“No kidding!” Gem agreed. “We really need to do this sort of thing more often.”

Maui nodded her consent as she wrapped her own towel around her waist. “I guess we'd better go change then. Rupert and Gem have to get home now don't you guys?”

Rupert looked confused. “What about Dan?” Maui smiled mischievously then bolted into the house.

The boys changed in the bathrooms and Gem and Maui headed down to Maui's bedroom.

“I'm sorry about tweaking earlier.” Maui apologized as she pulled a shirt on then peeled the top of her swimsuit off from under it. “I just think that you and Rupert could be really good for each other. You're the only girl he's met who actually acted like this…”

Gem looked up from buttoning her pants. “Acted like what?”

“Never mind.” Maui said as she too stepped into her pants. “I just think that you should at least give him a chance. Even if you do already have a boyfriend… I mean, you don't even know when you're gonna see him next. What if he meets someone else while you're gone?”

Gem scoffed. “James would never do that to me! We trust each other and for God's sake we've been going out for over a year with no problems! He wouldn't just up and leave me like that. It's not one of those kinds of relationships. He loves me.”

Maui shrugged into her coat and headed for the door. “Well that's good that you two mean so much to each other. I'm sorry I thought otherwise.”

Out in the living room, they found Dan and Rupert both sitting inattentively on the back of a couch next to the door, saying something about `girls'.

Maui scurried over to Dan and jumped up next to him, startling both boys and causing Rupert to trip onto the floor.

“How long have you two been standing there?” He asked nervously, twitching at the corner of his shirt.

“Not long enough to figure out what you guys were talking about.” Maui teased.

Rupert flushed and started for the door. “You ready to go, Gem?” He held the door open as she walked out.

“Yeah.” She smiled, hopping down the steps and into the front drive. “Thanks again for having us over, Maui. It was good talking.”

Maui nodded and shut the door behind them. As the two stepped away from the house, they could hear giggling coming from inside. Gem looked nervously back at the curtained window and Rupert laughed.

“Don't worry.” He smiled. “They're not doing anything bad in there. I'm sure we'd know if they'd been planning anything we'd need to be worried about.”

Gem laughed too and smiled up at him, opening her mouth to say something but deciding better of it.

They walked most of the way home in silence both seemingly lost deep in thought as they continued on through the slowly darkening streets. Rupert was the first to speak.

“So this boyfriend of yours… How long have you two been going out again?”

“It'll be one year and six months in two weeks. We've been friends forever though. We just finally started going out our junior year.”

Rupert nodded. “Wow. That's a long time. I guess you guys are pretty solid then.”

“Yeah. It sucks being this far away from him though. He's supposed to be coming up to visit me as soon as he gets the money. Until then we'll keep in touch over the phone.”

“Oh.” Rupert sounded a little disheartened. “Well that's good then. I've never had a relationship like that before. They always just seem to come and go. I mean, it's great and all, but things always just end so quickly. You get people like Dan and Maui and you and James who stay together forever without conflict of any sort and then you get people like me.” Gem looked up at him understandingly. “It just… Never mind. Look we're home.”

They both stopped on the sidewalk beside the stone wall separating their yards. The sun was low on the horizon and behind them the sky was fading to an inky black. As the daylight died, the shadows came to life and began to prowl about the hedges and corners of houses. Gem smiled contentedly then turned to look up at Rupert.

He was staring at the sunset and smiling vaguely. She hesitated before speaking.

“Back home, James and Kyleigh and I used to always lay outside and watch the stars.” She started, her voice trembling slightly.

Rupert looked down at her for a moment. “You know I can't say I've ever done that.”

“Oh. I suppose you think it's stupid. Sorry.” Gem said embarrassedly as she turned around and headed for her willow.

“What? No, I didn't say that.” Rupert said honestly, reaching out and grabbing her arm to stop her.

She turned back slowly to face him. There was silence again as they both looked at each other. Neither could think of anything to say and simply stood together on the deserted sidewalk in the fading light. A light breeze picked up and wove itself through Gem's long black hair, sending it dancing around her face. Rupert could feel his heart catch in his throat as he took her fragile hand in his.

“What would you say if just for tonight, we watch the stars and forget you have James back home. Just for the heck of it. We could just watch the stars and have a good time without any strings attached.” Rupert said softly, looking into her eyes as she began to smile.

She squeezed his hand back gently. “That sounds pretty good. But do you think we could keep it just between us? I don't want Maui and Dan to know. I don't want to go through everything with her.”

“I promise.” Rupert laughed, leading her into his backyard. “Let's get up on the roof now. It looks like the stars are coming out.”

“Why don't we use the hammock? It'll be a lot more comfortable. I don't know how much of the sky you can see through the leaves but it's close up to the top and I'm sure it'll be clear enough.” Gem suggested as she turned back towards her house. Rupert followed obligingly and soon they had both made their way to the bottom of the tree.

“Right, so we get to climb up this again?” Rupert asked skeptically, tilting his head backwards to look up through the thick limbs and leafy branches.

Gem hopped onto a root that protruded from the ground and took hold of a bough just above her head, swinging on it slightly as she brought her face teasingly close to Rupert's. “Of course we are. Did you think we'd get to fly up or something? You've managed before, I'm sure you'll live.” She laughed, scrambling up the trunk to perch on the branch she had been holding.

Rupert mock-glared up at Gem before following her lead and lifting himself onto a branch a bit lower down. As they continued on up through the tangle of thick and thin branches, the sun maintained its steady pace of disappearance, taking with it any warmth that might have been shared with the two when they reached the top of the tree. The breeze was now notably cooler and Gem felt herself shiver as she climbed into the hammock, curling up on one side and waiting for Rupert.

Within a few moments he was over the last branch and settling down beside her. “This is nice.” He laughed as though he hadn't believed her.

“I told you it would be.” She smiled, looking up at him through the dark. He was smiling too, though a bit awkwardly and looked away after a second.

“So… Is that Scorpio?” He asked, staring up through the thin layer of twigs above them.

Gem turned her head to the side. “Um… I think it's Cassiopeia. The W looking one up there?”

“Yeah. Ok. We got to look at stars during the astronomy scenes but we never learned about the constellations really.”

There was a moment of silence. “What?”

Rupert flushed white. “Oh, Astronomy was a class I took in high school…”

“Why'd you say scene?”

“Because,” he thought for a moment. “…Medical reasons!”

Gem laughed, rolling up into a ball and sliding towards the middle of the hammock so she was cushioned against his side. Looking down, Rupert could see her squirming to regain her posture/bearing/position/stance. He laughed too and but his arm around her back. She flipped over and looked at him before snuggling closer and putting her hand on his chest.

“I feel so bad though.” She said uneasily, playing with a fold in his shirt. “I don't even know if I should be up here.”

Rupert looked concerned. “Do you want to leave?” He asked timidly as he began to remove his arm from around her back. She put her hand on his as it slid off her shoulder and held it in place.

“I'm not going to go. I should… But… I don't know. Never mind, let's just figure out what that constellation is.”

Rupert nodded, not fully reassured and turned back to look at the sky. He knew it was wrong too but felt that it was worth it just to be this close to her for a while. She fit perfectly against him and as he ran his fingers through her hair he didn't think he could be happier anywhere else. They were both getting a taste of something amazing and neither wanted to let it go.

So they sat for a while, cuddled against the light breeze, talking and laughing and looking at the stars. It had been nearly 10 minutes before Rupert sat up suddenly. Gem sat up too, partially pulled by his arm.

“What?” She asked, looking startled as he looked around below the hammock.

“Can you hear that?” He whispered, straining his ears for the sound. “It's like… buzzing? Or humming or something.”

Gem listened too for a moment then laughed, “Oh, it's my cell phone. Sorry, hold on.”

Reaching to a branch just below where the hammock was anchored, she pulled her bag up towards her and unzipped the top pocket. As she did this, the buzzing became louder.

“Hello?” She said as she raised the small phone to her ear. No one answered. “Hello?” She repeated again, pulling it away from her face to check the caller ID.

O'Mally James it read in bold letters surrounded by small pixely hearts.

“James? Are you there?” She spoke louder into the mouthpiece. There was a sound coming from the other line now but it wasn't a voice. It was someone breathing heavily, two someone's breathing heavily. “James!” She shouted, scared.

Now the breathing had turned into panting and a dull thumping sound joined in. This went on for several more seconds before someone spoke. It was a girl and she was whispering some one's name. James. And a boy speaking a girl's name. Kyleigh. As Gem sat and listened to the two voices grow louder, she realized what she was overhearing from the other line.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment