Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Rights to Live

Fate deals a cruel hand to the Dragon Demon Halfbreeds, when a Leader rules with an Fist and Claws. One Family escapes the pointless slaughtering. But the peace is short lived, Raising to meet the odds and beat them their Daughter steps forward to stop it

Chapter 1 - Rights to Live

Chapter 1 - Rights to Live
                                                     Chapter 1: Rights to Live
 
Dusk settled on a Large Palace. At its gates; demon''s of many sizes but all same in appearance. At the palace steps paced, a demon like the others but yet unlike them. Impatient, stopping looking over the demons before him, a sea of red eyes and red hair as night settled upon them. His cold deep crimson eyes passed over the still gathering crowd, the demonic marking dripping from his eye like acid. In the breeze his hair flowed as if destiny was calling to him. Whispering his mission.
 
When satisfied with the amount that showed, he cleared his throat calming the whispers. “As succeeding demon chief. I have my plans…” He shouted gazing over the mass. “The first task on my journey, Eradicate tainted blood that holds us down!” He paused. “Human Blood! The Mixed Blood among us!”
 
Shocked expressions and whispers waved through the crowd. One Demon from the crowd stepped forward.
 
“But that’s…That’s unfair to them! They have every right to live as we do!” The woman shouted.
 
“Step down.” The Chief said coldly.
 
“That’s pointless slaughter…I refuse to step down” her stance turning defensive.
 
 The chief laughed, leaving her and those behind her baffled. “I forgot to mention one more thing…” He chuckled.
 
Rushing off the palace steps and grabbing the woman by the throat and lifting her in the air. “Man, woman, or child who defy me….Most certainly will meet death as that ultimate punishment with no trail!” He growled tossing the woman. The crowd moved out of the way as the body hit the ground. A man fought his way over to her through the crowd. Picking her up, she was still living. “Consider her lucky…” He bitterly said making his way back up to the palace steps.
 
“Now to business…Are you with me?” He asked calmly. With a moment’s silence, it started with one shout of his name and soon it was a heavenly chorus. “Syunin” Basking in the now fresh pale moonlight and the chorus of his name, Syunin stood with regency.
 
Meanwhile, a woman with flowing deep brown hair put up in a bun ran behind the crowd and into the village surrounding the palace. She tried to hide herself behind objects and still standing people hoping she wouldn’t be spotted by Syunin and the blood thirsty hoard of attack dogs. Continuing to run, she eventually sought a safe place a far distance from the large group. She looked into her arms. Cradled and safe from harms way, a baby.
 
“Thank goodness you’re safe.” She whispered as she looked into her baby’s eyes so lovingly. She rushed into one of the near by homes breathing deeply.
 
“Jin-mei! You’re back!” A demon ran over to her with a warm smile. He had long red hair that flowed down to his waist. He had a very sweet and elderly face that showed his wisdom and kindness.
 
 “Oh, Hokaido,” She sighed in relief.
 
 “How is she?” He asked in concern
 
 “Fine, I’m surprised she didn’t cry as I was walking through the crowd.” Jin-mei sighed cradling her child.
 
“That’s great!” He smiled.
 
“You’re home?” A voice from the background asked.
 
“Ryoku…” She looked back at the figure behind her, lovingly and passionately. He came over to them; at first nothing seemed wrong until he caught a glimpse of a tear.
 
 “What happened? What’s wrong?!” He asked looking at her deeply in the eyes.
 
“Our lives are at risk I fear…Yours, mine, and little Kikuro’s…” She stuttered in pause. “Our new chief is a tyrant. He’s against humans and those of impure blood…I’m scared...”
 
 “Jin-mei…” Ryoku sighed holding her tightly. “Things will be okay, trust me…” Ryoku took his sleeve and started to gently wipe the tears from her eyes. “We’ll get through this…With me protecting you, we’ll get through I promise.”
 
The crowd outside the palace dissipated as Syunin dismissed himself and they followed suit. Walking into the palace foyer, between the left and right corridors laid a door that was illuminated from behind it by moon light.
 
"Brilliant Introduction, Brother. Flashy yet to the straight to the point, even that little demonstration you gave was well executed" sounded a rather smooth tone companied by applaud on the other side of the door. 
 
"Ayaka..." Syunin paused, "What have you been up too?"
 
"To bad she wasn''t more of a challenge, I thought you had a better choice in women then that..."
 
Syunin pulled open the door, to reveal on the other side was a lush courtyard. “It was such shame, She would’ve kept her life a little longer if she only she had listened” Ayaka shook her head, then motioning to the small pool in the courtyard. Following the direction of the motion, Syunin saw the body of a fresh kill quick by the look of it. The grass was thinly coated with blood, which spilled into the pool. Some blood spatter coated nearby cherry blossoms, looking to her brother with her deep Ruby eyes alive with joy of the slaughter.
 
 “Looks like you had too much fun.” Syunin commented. 
 
 “Heh, It could have been better.” She replied licking her sword.
 
“I have no doubt, but a waste. I guess it had to be done.” He sighed.
 
“You guess it had to be done. My dear brother…Mistaken as you were in the first place and you merely guess it had to be done” Ayaka growled.
 
“I suppose it had to be, and so it was.” Syunin replied bitterly.
 
“I don’t think there is much difference between suppose or guess” She mumbled under her breath.
 
“Mother!” rang a shout from the corridors outside the courtyard.
 
“Sounds like Ryuu,” Ayaka commented flatly.
 
“It was probably you that woke him…” Syunin muttered turning back into the foyer.
 
Ayaka rolled her eyes sheathing her sword and following him closing the doors behind her.
 
A small boy stood in the foyer looking around, very much to Syunin’s likeness.
 
“Ryuu…?” Syunin called him.
 
“Where’s Mother?” he asked rubbing his eyes.
 
“Why? What’s wrong?” Syunin asked kneeling to his level. “You can tell Father all about it…What do you say?” He asked again.  Ryuu nodded. Syunin picked him up “there-there,” Syunin comforted patting his back leaving the foyer to the corridor on the left.
 
“I hope he knows what he’s doing. I won’t always cover for his blunders; I have my own matters of business” with those thoughts in mind, Ayaka swiftly left just as if she was never there.
 
------
 
Seasons quickly changed, from spring to summer to fall and so on. Years started to pass. Spring returned again and the cherry blossoms were in full bloom. We settle upon Hokaido with a little girl about the age of seven. She had long brown hair but it was put up, two ends of her bangs shined with red streaks. She smiled staring at the blossoms.
 
“Grandpa! Look! One of the blossoms is falling!” She yelled trying to catch it but then fell onto the ground.
 
“Kikuro! Do be careful!” Hokaido said helping her up.
 
“I’m ok!” She smiled back energetically.
 
An older boy stood near the two. He had hair that went down to his neck and his appearance was very similar to Syunin, but had light red eyes.
 
“Oh, hello!” Hokaio said. “I don’t think I’ve seen you around…”
 
“What’s your name?” Kikuro asked cheerfully.
 
“I-…“The boy stuttered and tried to speak. “…I’m Ryuu!”
 
“Nice to meet’cha!” Kikuro smiled again. “I’m Kikuro and this is my grandpa!”
 
“The pleasures all mine!” Hokaido said as he bowed his head slightly.
 
“I- I never had people talk to me before…” He stuttered again. “I guess I’m pretty  
 
“I’ll be your friend!” Kikuro and tackle hugs him.
 
“Ow,” Ryuu blinks. “…can’t breathe!”
 
“Sorry…” She let go and bowed her head.
 
“You’re a strange girl…” Ryuu sighed and enhaled the air deeply.
 
“Well, I am a half-breed! You can’t get any stranger than that!” Kikuro smiled cheerfully.
 
Hokaido then covered her mouth. “Heh, you didn’t hear that.”
 
“No, its ok!” Ryuu smiled. “I’m not like the others I respect those of human blood, they have the right to live as much as full breeds do! My mother wanted it that way!”
 
“But Syunin, he’s just so cruel…” Hokaido sighed.
 
Ryuu sighed and whispered lowly. “I wish he would listen to her views before she had her slaughtered…”
 
“He killed her!?!” Hokaido blinked. “Who’s her?”
 
Ryuu jumped a bit and sighed. “I’ve said too much…you didn’t hear that…”
 
“I will say no more.” Hokaido comforted.
 
Suddenly Kikuro ran up to Ryuu and taped his shoulder. “TAG YOU’RE IT!” She yelled then started to run.
 
“Hey! Wait a minute!” Ryuu ran after her.
 
“Can’t catch me!” She giggled running away.
 
 
 
Hokaido smiled looking at his granddaughter. He began to go into deep thought. “I’m glad she found a friend to play with…I just hope…this time will last…and their friendship will be strong…” [/i]
 
Day after day Ryuu and Kikuro played by the cherry blossom trees. It began to become a daily ritural for them. It went on for a few years then suddenly darkness rose to this happy setting.
 
-------
 
At the palace, Syunin paced around the halls.
 
“Where could he be!?!” He pondered thinking of where his son had gone. “He’s supposed to be here for the ceremony of my tenth year as chief.”
 
“I’m sure he’ll show up eventually” Ayaka said lowly as she crossed her arms.
 
“Why must you say that so calmly? I need him immediately!” Syunin growled.
 
“Why don’t you go look for him then?” She suggested bluntly.
 
“Heh, for once Ayaka, you have the right idea!” He said, after that he stormed out of the palace looking for his son.
 
There he went looking everywhere, until he heard the light trickle of laughter. He followed this sound and continued to walk until he spotted the trees. He then looked forward at his son playing with Kikuro.
 
“A HALF BREED!?!” He yelled. “Who is responsible for making this happen?” He looked around and spoted Hokaido. “YOU!” He growled fiercely.
 
Hokaido stuttered and tried to explain. “No, it’s not what you think! Its just they’re friends and….”
 
His sentence was cut off and his expression was blank. He looked down into his stomach, there held Syunin’s sword, piercing his body. Syunin took his sword back at let Hokaido’s body fall to the ground limp.
 
“Grandfather!” Kikuro cried and kneeled down to Hokaido’s dead body. “Please wake up!”
 
“As for you!” Syunin growled again as he picked her up by her collar putting his sword toward her neck almost ready to slice.
 
“No!” Ryuu yelled. “Please don’t.”
 
“Very well my son…” He sighed. “I’ll give her an honorable death…tomorrow in the morning!”
 
He then threw Kikuro onto the ground leaving no pity or mercy and faced the opposite of her and walking away angrily.
 
“Come Ryuu…” He sighed as he pulled Ryuu away.
 
Kikuro ran to her home in the village. She stormed through the door with anger and rage with tears dripping down her cheeks.
 
“Oh, you’re home early…” Jinmei greeted happily until she got a hold of her expression. She then gasped “What’s wrong?”
 
“…I don’t want to die…” Kikuro whispered before she fainted, falling face first into the ground.
 
“Jin-mei, what’s happening?” Ryoku asked as she walked into the room. “Kikuro!”
 
Regaining consciousness Kikuro opened her eyes to reveal her parents in front of her.
 
“Oh, thank god you’re awake!” Jin-mei said as she lightly wiped Kikuro’s tears.
 
“What’s wrong honey?” They asked her lowly.
 
“G-G-Grandpa…is…dead…S-syunin killed him…and I-I am g-going to b-be next…” Kikuro shuddered.
 
“NO! That good for nothing bastard can’t do that! You’re only a child!” Ryoku growled furiously.
 
“He can’t take you away from us…” Jin-mei wept lowly.   
 
“Tomorrow he wants to set my death…more of a sacrifice he said…by fire…” She replied sadly.
 
“I will kill that bastard w/ my own sword!” Ryoku growled once more.
 
A knock was then heard from the door. Jin-mei looked over cautiously and slowly opened it.
 
“Who is it?” She asked sweetly look out one of the slits in the door.
 
“It’s me Ryuu! Please let me in!” A voice at the door said.
 
“Ah, “She smiled warmly as she let him in.
 
“Thank you!” He smiled graciously.
 
“What brings you here?” Ryoku asked.
 
Ryuu looked over to the couple and smiled as he decided to whisper. “I have a plan!”
 
He then explained what he wanted to do. He figured that the sun was slowly coming down, so why not make a sneak tactic? He compiled a few ways for them to sneak out right out of the main gates, right under the guards’ noses.  Ryuu would distract the guard with whatever he can. Since Ryoku and Jin-mei were both desperate for an escape this seemed to be just the right plan they were looking for.
 
So, they all got their bags packed, they didn’t need much. Then they went off into the night.
 
“Good Evening Yuko!” Ryuu said smiling at one of the guards.
 
“Ah, hello Ryuu what are you doing out this late?” He asked.
 
“The palace gets so cramped at night, so I decided to take a night stroll!” Ryuu answered as he motioned his hand a certain way.
 
Quietly, Kikuro and her parents ran out of the black gates and farther into the forest.
 
“We’ll I should get going…” Ryuu said motioning out the gates.
 
“Well alright! Don’t go in too late your father will get worried!” Yuko waved.
 
“Don’t worry about it!” Ryuu ran out.
 
He started looking for Kikuro and her parents. He eventually felt their presence.
 
“There you guys are!” He sighed with relief. “Go north from here until you reach a village, I heard it was a nice human village they’ll welcome you with open arms…its right near the mountains too!”
 
“Ryuu, we can’t thank you enough!” Jin-mei smiled warmly and hugged him.
 
“We’re forever greatful!” Ryoku patted him on the back.
 
Kikuro hugged him too. “Thank you!”
 
“Well, you three get going, now run! I have to get back!” Ryuu said as he motioned back toward the village gates.
 
“I’ll never forget you!” Kikuro yelled.
 
“Likewise!” He smiled and waved and ran off.
 
The three turned around and decided to walk forward in hopes for a better future without hatred.  That when they walked the village they were not looked at with glares and snickers but instead warm smiles and friendly greetings. This thought made them want to move nonstop until they got to the place. So they walked the whole night, a restless night with no sleep. It wasn’t too long until the sun had rose and lit the whole scene up with warmth. Ryoku looked ahead into the distance spotting a few huts. Walking further, his eyes lit up at the sight of their destination. Jin-mei sighed and rubbed hers. She then looked ahead and blinked. Finally, Kikuro looked ahead and was enlightened by all the quaint village.
 
“We’re home!” Ryoku sighed.
 
“This seems like a nice place…everyone seems so friendly.” Jin-mei responded as she looked around curiously.
 
After they had settled there and lived in one of the small huts life seemed pretty peaceful.
 
--------
Meanwhile back at Mura, Syunin was furiously looking through the village in hopes of finding the family. To his disadvantage he found nothing. After weeks and months of searching, he walked back into the palace calling family, friends, and allies over.
 
He spoke. “As you may know that half-breed that was recently trailed for sacrifice has gone missing, along with her filthy human mother and demon betrayer father. I am making you all search in villages around this area plus far away. Leave no village unspotted…if you see them, kill them right off the spot…Show them no mercy!”
 
“Ah, brother, you were the foolish one to let them slip between your fingers…why should you let us do your dirty work?” Ayaka asked with her familiar snicker.
 
“I’ve had enough of you dear sister, now…do all of you understand what I want you all to do?” He asked the group.
 
The group responded with a powerful “Yes!” and they all departed.
 
-----
Seven years soon passed and they had found no trace or sign of Kikuro or her family. Kikuro was no longer that happy go lucky little half breed that everyone seemed familiar with but now a young adult yearning to go and explore the world around with her parents by her side.
 
One day she walked out to the forest nearby to get some fruit from the trees. She always picked it fresh when it was during the late summertime. But today seemed a bit different, she felt a strange sensation climb up her back. She shrugged and figured it was nothing and continued to pick her fruit. Once she was done she picked up her tiny basket and casually walked back to her home to meet her parents.
 
As Kikuro walked inside she felt something different, it seemed too quiet. Usually she was welcomed home with warm hellos. She then walked in a bit further. To her surprise she smelt blood that was freshly spilt. She looked up at the wall and written on the wall was Syunin in kanji lettering. She gasped at the sight and looked down, spotting her parents dead on the ground. She kneeled down to there level and screamed as the tears poured down her eyes.
 
“K-K-kikuro…” Ryoku whispered. “Please, run…don’t let Syunin take your life…please…take my sword! It will give you the strength to save yourself…”
 
“Mom! Dad!” She screamed as she took the sword. “Please don’t die, I need you!”
 
“Go honey, Be safe!” Jin-mei smiled as she slowly closed her eyes.
 
Kikuro wiped her tears and stood up. She stared at the blood surrounding the room and just furiously turned around, but her eyes couldn’t stay dry. Tears seemed to keep running down more and more. She felt horrible inside like a sword has stabbed her into the heart or she had drank poison and she was at her final leagues of life.
 
“Going so quickly?” A deep voice chuckled in the background.
 
“S-Syunin…” Kikuro growled with disgust.
 
“I’m surprised, I thought you would be happy to see me…” He chuckled. “No matter, I’ll kill you now…I think you have waited long enough.”
 
He drew his sword and made a blow.
 
“I won’t let you!” She growled and tried to block him.
 
“Very well…we shall meet again half breed…” He grinned and then transformed into a dragon, then flew into the sky without a final glance.
 
Kikuro then looked up into the sky then put her head down.  More tears dripped down her face as she continued to walk forward holding her father’s sword on her sash.
 
“Why must he keep toying with me?” She cursed under her breath and tried to wipe off more of her tears. She couldn’t stand to stay at the house her parents were brutally murdered in. She packed her bags and soon went off, a lonely traveler, with no destination and no home.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment