Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - N /A

1862-
Cornelia is just taking one day at a time. What with this so called 'War' going on. She dosn't really pay much mind to it. but how long will that last? Because of this war her cousind are liveing her and her family. Airy is takeing this war very

Chapter 1 - N /A

Chapter 1 - N /A
Chapter 1
1862-
I stood in the doorway watching Airy who was sitting on the floor unpacking her things then putting them into piles around her. Airy, and her brother William were going to be living with my family and I till there father and older brother came for back this so called 'War'. I was the only one in the house who called it that, I didn't see what it was all about. Daddy and Mama try to tell me what its about all the time but I don't really listen to well to them. Airy and William were also my cousins, my mother's brothers kids. The lost there mother when William was born, Airy was only seven at the time. I remember my parents talking about it, I was six but I remember them saying Airy took it really hard.
I backed out of the doorway to go to Williams rooms. Berniece, my older sister was helping him put things away, she was like that always helping people. Oh, how she loved to help me with things I didn't even need help with. I remember last Christmas, she tried to help me with carrying a pot of soup to the dinning room,
``Oh,Cornelia let me help you with that!''
``No,no. I got it.''
``Your going to spill it if you don't let me help you.''
Oh, it spilled alright, she tried to take the pot from me and I refused to let go and up went the pot, and out the soup all over the place. Oh, did we get into trouble by Daddy. He came rushing into the kitchen and sighed tolled us to go upstairs and change again then get back down here. I was thankful for my daddy, he nerved yelled at us.
I stepped out of his room too, I wasn't needed here, mayhap downstairs. So thats were I went. I found mama in the kitchen with our new maid Nita. I liked Nita, she was Native American so she didn't speck much English. But mama did her best to teach Nita English, she was much better at it now then she was when she first came to us. She still speak a lot of her native language thou. I think she was from a tribe in Wisconsin somewhere. Nita had been talking to Mama about it and I thought I hurried her say she was from a tribe called the Cayugas anyways. So Mama was showing Nita how to cook the foods she learned how to cook when she was younger.
'Not needed here either I see, what about Daddy?'
I thought as I went to the front door and out. I found Daddy with my older brother Brandon. They were doing something with the horses. I saw that I shouldn't bother them, at least right now. So I went back into the house, I wasn't needed anywhere today, was I? So I sat down on the stairs to think. Why wasn't I happy? I wasn't need anywhere, no work. I suppose part of myself was still sad about losing so many friends to this war. The other part was sad because everyone had things to do but for myself. It wouldn't be this way if Joseph still came around. He hadn't been allowed to come around in about four months. And it was all Brandon's fault. He caught us holding hands one night, so he told Daddy and he said i wasn't allowed to see him anymore. I told Daddy I didn't see anything wrong with that. But he didn't give me an answer. So I just sat there staring into space. I must have been sitting there for about twenty minutes when I felt a hand on my shoulder,
``Cornelia, would you like to come outside with me?''
It was Airy she looked tired, and her eyes were red and a little puffy, like she had been crying. I said yes I would meet her outside, that I wanted to get something from my room. I wasn't really going to get anything, instead I went into her room to see if i could find why she was crying. I found nothing that I thought would make her cry. Till I looked under her pillow. I had sat down on her bed and saw a small dark green book sticking out. I pulled it out and opened it. It said it belonged to a Minnie Campbell, he mother. Now I see why she was crying, she still wasn't over her mother's death. Poor thing, it must be taught. I thought as I put the book back under she pillow.
I found Airy sitting on the small stone wall that went in a start line, just over the wall you could see the town below a hill. I went and sat next to her, she was smiling, ``You know Cornelia, your lucky to live here. No why?''
``No, why?''
``Because this has to be the most beautiful I have ever been to. The way you can come out here and. relax, just open up to yourself and others! Do you know what I mean Cornelia?''
I didn't answer her, I didn't truly understand what she was saying. I didn't feel like that, mayhap it was because I lived here my whole life and no were else. It was starting to get dark and a cool gust of wind was blowing. I looked back a Airy, she was crying again, ``Why are you crying Airy?''
She shrugged, ``II'm worried, about my father and Daniel, there out there some wear, for all I know there cold and hungry. Or even worse one of them could be dead! Oh, Cornelia what will William and I do if they both don't come back? I can't bare to lose anymore of my family!''
She put her hands over her face so the rest was kind of muffled,
``Don't worry Airy, I just know both of them well come home safe. And if any thing every happens to one of them you and William well always have here to call home. This is your home till they come home. Do you understand what I'm saying Airy?''
She wiped she eyes with her sleeve then smiled, ``Yes, I understand. And, thank you Cornelia. I feel better.''
``What are you two doing?''
Airy turned around to see who it was, but I didn't I knew who it was,
``Oh, hello Brandon. We were just talking about my father and brother.''
``Its getting late, you two should come in. And Cornelia..''
``Yes?''
``Never mind, just hurry up.''
A few minutes later I hurried the back door slam shut. Airy was starting to walk back to the house when she looked back at me, ``Cornelia, aren't you coming?''
``In a minute, I want to watch something for a minute.''
Once I saw her go into the house I hoped of the wall and ran to the barn. I found Daddy there putting one of the houses away. I staid out of the barn, behind the door, I was pecking around the corner of the door. Daddy started to whisper something in the horse's ear, I couldn't hear anything her said, all around me the sounds of the night were coming out, a softer breeze was blowing. I leadened against the barn door to think for a minute, what could Daddy be talking to the horse about, I started to wounder if he was talking to her about something one of the others did, or something I did. Could he be talking to her about what Joseph and I did? No, that was so long ago now. Mayhap something Brandon and himself talked about, or just telling her about something he was going to do? Daddy did that sometimes, he would talk to one of the horses about something her as going to do. Or something someone did. I decided to to back to the house when I harried horses. Lots of horses. I looked at the road that lead from town. There was a cloud of dust coming up the road. And the sound of house huffs on the hard ground. Daddy came out of the barn and stood next to me. I looked up at him, he had a frown on his face. I could tell he was upset, or scared. But of what?
``Cornelia, go inside. And tell everyone to stay inside too. Especially Brandon.''
I did as I as told. I ran to the house. I found everyone in the parlor by the window. They all looked at me when I came in, Mama as the first to speck,
``Whats you father doing Cornelia?''
``I don't know. A lot of horse ere coming up the road from town, hes going to see whats wrong.''
``Its most likely a calvary, I'm going outside to mother.''
Brandon said as he moved towards the kitchen to go out the back door,
``Brandon, daddy said no one goes out, especially you.''
Ether he didn't hear me, or just wasn't listening to me. I went after him, but only as far as the back door,
``Brandon!''
I whispered loudly so daddy wouldn't hear me. I saw that daddy as talking to a man on a horse, he was in a uniform. So ware all the other men around that man, but his uniform was different. He had metals and everything. Brandon walked back to me and stood next to me by the door,
``Who are they?''
``Calvary, by the looks of it I'd say they were from the Union.''
I watched all the men, they looked tired. Some looked about my fathers age, some looked no older then Berniece. A few wear watching Brandon and myself. One were pointing at ether Brandon or myself and saying something. Then the man daddy as talking to looked back at the men who were pointing and talking about Brandon and me. They went quite then he looked back at daddy, a few minutes later he pointed at us. Daddy smiled then waved at us,
``Kids, come here.''
Brandon looked at me and smiled, ``Well, come on.''
We walked over to daddy together. I felt strange, all the men were looking at Brandon and me. The one that was pointing at us as smiling as we walked by,
``Sir, this is my oldest son, Brandon, and my youngest daughter, Cornelia.''
The man nodded, then looked back at his men, then back at us
``They reminded me of my own. But anyways, to my understanding, you are the Wincott's, am I right?''
``Yes, I am Jacob Wincott. As I said before, what can I do for you this evening?''
``Wincott, I'm Colonel Lemuel B. Platt of the 1st Vermont Calvary. I as sent to have a meeting with you this afternoon, but we did not come into town till this evening.''
The man said as he climbed off his horse. Daddy was quite for a minute then smiled,
``Oh yes, now I remember. If you like e can have the meeting right no in my office right now.''
``All right, let me demises my men.''
He waved his hand at them men then a few other men got off there horses and walked up to Colonel Platt. The man ho smiled at us was one of them, only now he wasn't smiling, he seamed bored. Daddy and the other men walked back to the house Brandon and me right behind them. When we were inside mama went strait to daddy, he told her what was happening then he lead the men down the hall to his office.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment