Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - A new titan

There is a strange presence in Jump City. Something strange lying behind all of the ominous snow. The Titans will have their hands full trying to figure out the mystery, but somehow a homeless boy might help them find the answers.

Chapter 5 - A new titan

Chapter 5 - A new titan


Chapter 5

A new titan



Tom seemed slightly reluctant to follow as Starfire, Cyborg and Beast Boy dragged him around the tower to get him cleaned up. Beast Boy volunteered to lend Tom some clothing until he could get his own. “Not bad, he almost looks as good as me.” Beast Boy joked when he saw Tom wearing his outfit.

Tom laughed quietly. “I don't know… you're kind of skinny, this feels a little tight.” He told beast Boy bluntly. Cyborg and Starfire laughed their heads off as Beast Boy scoffed at Tom's comment.

Raven and Robin stayed in the living room to talk more about their new friend. “He used an ancient language, called `Rashiel's tongue', thought to have died out over four thousand years ago… I'm not sure how he could have learned to speak the language so fluently, even with all of my books I was only able to find the alphabet. It says that the only people who ever bothered to learn the language were `The Followers of Rashiel', a cult who believed in a giant, planet consuming dragon who would `cleanse the taint of the world'… I have a hard time believing that Tom would think something like that though.” Raven said, showing Robin a few pages from her books.

Robin scanned the pages that Raven showed him, trying to see if he could notice anything else of interest. “We wouldn't know what Tom might believe until we asked him, but I don't think that's an appropriate question to ask just yet… I think we should just keep an eye on him until we can figure out who is after him.” Robin said as he tried to figure out the strange alphabet in the book Raven gave him.

Raven handed Robin another book. “I did manage to find something else on The Followers of Rashiel… I think this might be more important then the strange language.” Raven said as she pointed to a symbol on the page she wanted Robin to see.

The symbol looked just like one of the symbols Tom had shown them on the scraps of clothing. Robin frowned at this new discovery. “You think he might have something to do with the cult?” Robin asked, looking closely at the symbol on the page.

Raven didn't know what to think, Tom had dealt with the cult but not as a member. He had to fight them on some occasion, but there was no way for them to know all the details at the moment. “Tom has had a run in with The Followers of Rashiel, but I don't think he was ever part of the cult.” Raven told Robin, just before the others walked into the room to show off how clean they had made Tom.

Tom blond hair seemed to shine like gold now that it was clean, and his golden eyes had a calmer look to them. Beast Boy put his arm around Tom and pointed at his clothing. “It's like looking into a color blind mirror.” Beast Boy said, patting Tom on the back.

Tom smiled and laughed quietly, but had to stop and cough for a few seconds. Starfire grabbed Tom's wrist. “You aren't feeling well, you have to eat something!” She said, sitting Tom in a chair and running to the refrigerator to grab one of her home remedies. She set a thick red goop in front of Tom and handed him a spoon. “Eat, you will feel better.” Starfire said, sounding slightly bossy.

Tom did as he was told before the others could warn him of Starfire's strange form of cooking. Tom ate the goop quietly, seeming to enjoy its spicy sweetness. He smiled at Starfire gratefully. “It has been a long time since I had such a nice, home cooked meal… And even longer since I had a meal that could cure a cough.” Tom said, continuing to scoop the thick red goop into his mouth.

Starfire capped and laughed at the news. “I'm glad you like it.” She said as she went to get more from the refrigerator.

The group was quiet as they watched Tom eat. They knew he wouldn't tell them much more then he already had tonight, at least, not until he spent a bit more time with them. It was getting kind of late by now, Robin had just realized how tired he was feeling. “It's been a rough day… We should probably get some rest for the night.” He told every one, as he started to walk toward the door.

Before Robin could leave the room the alarm went off again. Robin looked around at the others, they were all as surprised as him. Tom got up and looked confused at what he was hearing. “What's that?” Tom asked, looking around at the titans.

Robin signaled everyone to move. “Titans, go!” He shouted, Turning and running to the door.

Robin was surprised to feel Tom's hand on his shoulder, he could have sworn Tom was all the way on the other side of the room before he turned around, Tom would have had to move pretty fast to catch up so quickly. “You can't go without me… I can't let you fight unless I'm there to make sure that nothing bad happens to you.” Tom said seriously.

Robin turned to look at Tom and said. “Are you sure you're ready to fight? We don't want you to get hurt.”

Tom nodded and clenched his hand into a fist. “I'm ready to fight… Especially to protect you guys… You are the only people I have trusted enough to talk to since… I had a family.” Tom said, getting very serious toward the end.

Robin gave Tom an encouraging smile and put his hand on Tom's shoulder. “As long as we consider each other family… You might need one o these.” Robin said, handing Tom a communicator. “As long as you fight with us… You can consider yourself a titan.” Robin told Tom just before he turned and ran out of the room. Tom followed, looking confidant that he could serve as the next new Titan.


Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

terry_titanqueen on January 13, 2006, 11:08:56 AM

terry_titanqueen on
terry_titanqueenhehehe i will read them all!!!! *-*

Maleficus on January 4, 2006, 11:35:30 PM

Maleficus on
MaleficusLook at this, chapter five already... I feel as though I've been doing this my whole life. The story might be a bit longer then I origanally thought... Maybe somewhere around 20 chapters... but that just means you, the kind readers, will have no shortage of teen titans.