Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - The Letter

Rory is a 17 yr. old girl, who lives with her mother. She's starting her senior year of high school with what she thinks is a good start.
Please tell me if you like it or not.

Chapter 3 - The Letter

Chapter 3 - The Letter
.::Chapter Three::.

“Rory? Rory, can you hear me?” A man’s voice called out to me.
“Mmm…” I grumbled opening my eyes to a bright, blinding room.
“Welcome back.” It was a doctor, “she’s awake.”
I looked to see who he was talking to and saw that it was Chris, Caty and there parents and Mr. Mandrels.
“Oh goodness Rory! Are you all right?” Caty’s mother asked me. I never like her, she was sweet yes, but her personality was too good for me. It made me want to snap her neck into two, is that bad that I want to do that to one of my friend’s mothers?
“Apparently not if I’m in the freakin hospital, Meredith!” I snapped.
“Rory!” Meredith yelled in her warning voice, but I ignored her.
“What happened?” I asked the doctor.
“It seems that one of your neighbors heard you breathing loudly and they--” I interrupted him.
“That’s not what I’m asking! I’m asking what the hell happened to me and how long have I been here?” I snapped yelling at the poor man.
“Doctor, why don’t you let me tell her.” Mr. Mandrels spoke for the first time, “and the rest of you can leave.” He was so snaky, I loved it.
After they left Gregor took a seat next to my bed and rubbed his temples.
“Rory. You were having a panic attack at your home. Probably sometime after you got home, do you remember?” He asked me looking at me very concerned.
“I do. When I got home I looked at my mail, just the regular junk mail and a green envelope. I opened it--there was like six hundred dollars, a key and a letter.” I replied looking into his eyes very intently seeing if he believed me.
“What did the letter say, who was it from?” He asked taking my shoulders.
“I don’t know who it was from, but it said something along the lines of I killed him for you, and some other things…” I started to feel my chest get heavy, my breathing more labored.
“Rory? Rory! What’s wrong?” There was alertness in his voice.
“The letter was from mom, she killed him!” I said frantically looking for something to drink or to help me calm down. There was nothing! Which freaked me out more, but then I felt arms wrapped around me.
“Calm down Rory. Everything will be all right, ok? Nothing is going to happen! Just breath.” Gregor said calmly, “stay with me, ok?”

That night I was released from the hospital, Gregor drove me home and he came into the apartment with me. You know to make sure I would be all right alone at night and to make sure I took my medicine.
“Maybe I should stay.” He said sounding more worried than usual.
“No. It’ll look bad if you stay over. Besides Angi, next door, is a nurse. I’m sure she’ll check up on me.” I said throwing away the mess that was made when, I guess, I passed out.
I found the letter and gave it to Gregor--who read it and looked at me like he had just been shot.
“I know. It sucks. What’d I do, give it to the police?” I asked falling to the couch.
“It’s the only thing you can do.” He paused, “you mentioned a key?”
“Yea, it’s over there, but I have no idea where it goes to.”
Gregor went over to the counter where I left the key, he picked it up and examined it for awhile. “Rory? Does your mother keep an old fashioned chest or a box? Something from world war two preferable.” He asked.
I stood straight up and fast walked to her bedroom and brought back what he’d described.
“Are you sure this is it?” He asked.
“It’s the only thing in the house that’s older than my mother.” I replied holding out my hand for the key. He placed it in my hand and I put it in. Turned it until it clicked opened --there were more letters, some had been opened and some hadn’t been. But all of them were covered in dust.
“Who’re they from?” Gregor asked kneeling down besides me.
“Don’t know.” I picked one, dusted it, and looked at the address, “they’re to me from…Ben Dasani?”
“Do you know him?” He asked picking out three or more letters--he examined them quickly, “these are from him to.”
“Let’s see what Ben has to say.” I stated carefully opening the letter, took out the paper, and unfolded it.

Rory,

I’m starting to think that your mother doesn’t want you to know who I am. Seeing how you haven’t written me back or at least called me, but just in case you read this I’ll tell you about myself. My name is Ben Dasani, 35, and I live in Phoenix, Arizona--as you can see. I met your mother while we were in college, along with her friend Derek. We went out for awhile-all during college and two years after that. It was around that time that she got pregnant with you. I’ll give you moment to breath, because if you’re anything like your mother you need a moment to breath…

And I did. Is this Ben guy my real father? I need air. I got up to go to the fire escape.
“Rory?”
“It’s ok, I just need to breath.” I said making sure he didn’t follow, but he did.

I continued reading while Gregor starting to come out onto the fire escape.

…Your mother said she’d never mention me to you because of what’s going on or what is actually happening. You see she thought that if you knew that I didn’t exist that you’re life would be better. If possible I would like you to find me before it’s too late. I’m dying Rory sweetie, from cancer if you’re wondering. Remember I love you and that I never wanted to leave you.

“Oh god.” I said.
“What’s wrong?” Gregor asked. I didn’t notice he was sitting right by me until now.
“Ben is my real father, not Derek. Why would she keep something like this from me?”
“What are you talking about?” He asked/
“Here.” I gave him the letter, while he wrapped his arm around my shoulders and read in silence. After he was finished he sighed, looked at me, and then sighed again.
“What?” I asked.
“You! You are nothing, but drama, aren’t you?” Gregor asked me almost laughing.
“This isn’t funny! This is serious shoot!” I yelled punching him in the arm.
“I was joking--like haha joking.” He said.
After awhile of silence, he tried to cook for me, but I told him I wasn’t hungry. But seeing how I needed to eat before I took my medicine he made me eat a bowl of cereal. After he watched me eat and take my huge pill he left me alone….but only for a little while.
“Take tomorrow off.” He said, very, very, bluntly.
“No. I’ll fall behind in my classes. Besides if I get to worn out I can always go to the library.” I replied from the kitchen, “you don’t have to stay here, I’ll be fine.”
“Please., you just found out that your father wasn’t really your father and you’re having panic attacked. I can’t leave you alone.” He said walking into the kitchen.
“Yes you can. All you have to do is stick your feet out of the door and leave. See simple.” I replied sarcastically. I looked at him--he didn’t seem to happy, “or I can call Chris and see if she would like to stay over.”
“That’s what I thought.” He said handing me the phone. I dialed, talking with her mother, and she’d O.K it.
“There! Crisis adverted! There’s the door, don’t let it hit you in the @$$ on you’re way out!” I said making a motion to the door. Then I felt funny. Dizzy, confused and off-balanced.
“You ok?” He asked.
“I think the medication is starting to work.” I replied looking for a chair, but I found his hand--which led me to my room and my bed.
“Get some rest. I’ll let Chris know that you’ve taken your medication.” He said gently, feeling my forehead and moving my bangs out of my eyes.
“Am I in trouble?” I sounded like a little kid, but I think he got it.
“No, you’re just in a situation you can’t get out of right now.” He replied, “now, get some sleep.”

The next morning I woke up well rested to the sound of my alarm clock going off. I got up, walked into the living room and saw Chris’s things laying everywhere.
“Chris?” I called out.
“In the Kitchen!” She called back with her fake English accent. I walked in immediately after I smelt chocolate chip pancakes, toast, and orange juice.
“Woman! You’re gonna make me fat!” I said sitting down at the table.
“I love you too.” She replied sarcastically, “now are you going to tell me why Mr. Mandrels was here last night?”
“He drove me home from hospital, make sure I’d eaten and took my drugs. That’s all really.” I lied. I didn’t tell her about the box of letter.
“Really?” Again fake accent.
“Oh and I stayed over at his place two nights ago.” I said bluntly.
“What?” She yelled.
“There’s nothing going on! He’s just looking out for me.” I rebuttal quickly, “ I even told him it was a bad idea to be seen together.”
“Are you sure?” She asked me in her mother tone.
“Yes!”
After we ate both us got ready and drove to school.
“Do you have your meds on you?” She asked.
I wasn’t paying attention. I was miffed.
“Rory?”
She was driving my car!
“Yes.” I replied a dogy-leave-me-alone tone.
“Sorry sweetie, you can’t drive the way you are now. Mr. Mandrels gave me strict orders to do so.” She said happily.
“Stupid hot teacher lap dog.” I grumbled.
“I’m sorry. What was that? I can’t-what did you say?” She asked.
“I love you!” I said with an angelic smile.
“That’s what I thought. Oh by the way are we keeping hush-hush about you and Mandrels to Caty?” She asked.
“First off there’s nothing going on between us. Secondly, yet. She tells her mom everything, if she finds out about this--all hell would break loose! He’d loose his job, go to prison, and I don’t even want to think what would happen to me!”
“Right my lips are sealed.”
So after we found a parking spot, we entered the school and went to our first class. Mr. Mandrels was at his desk grading worksheets and before I could escape to my desk he…
“Miss Rory! I’ve got a present for you! A lovely folder with your name printed on it!” He said standing up and held out the green folder to me, “all the work you’ve missed from all of your classes.”
“Thank you, I’ll be sure to kill myself after school.” I stated sarcastically.

After first hour I went to second hour, college algebra with Ms. Ellenbecker, then third hour, drawing II with Mr. Shue, and then fourth hour, American Literature II with Ms. Shimpt-Bos. And fifth hour is my free hour and I was totally exhausted so I figured I’d go to the library to start on my homework, but the library was closed for some odd reason. So I just ended up walking aimlessly around the campus.
“Miss Rory.” I turned around to see Gregor standing out of his room, “what are you doing? You should be in class.”
I turned back around, “Don’t have one. Library’s’ closed and I’m not allowed in the commons.” I replied before he could ask me more questions.
“Well, I don’t have a class now. Come in and get your work done.”
“Ok.” I said walking into his room and taking a seat in front of his desk.
It was quiet for the longest time and I couldn’t stand it.
“Did you take your medication?” He asked, not looking away from his computer.
“HOw couldn’t I?” Chris practically shoved it down my throat.” I replied.
“That’s good.” He merely said, “how did you sleep?”
“Well, without an attack or nightmares.” I said chuckling to myself, “I slept fine, although it could’ve gone better if Chris would stop snoring like an elephant.”
Mr. Mandrels laughed and kept on typing. Another ten minutes of silence passed and it was starting to drive me crazy. I sighed, closed my American Lit book and watched Mr. Mandrels type on his keyboard. I never realized that Mandrels, when he isn’t speaking, is really very handsome. He’s calm demeanor, the reflection of tiredness. His sternness and broad of his face, his hair shaped around the outline of his neck and cheekbones. The dark blue eyes were outstanding against his light brown hair and pale skin.
Of course I’m sure he sensed that I was watching him, so he gazed up at me with curious blue eyes.
He got up from his chair, walked over to me and got down to my eye level. And just stared at me. Stared at me with those beautiful dark blue eyes, but I was getting really annoyed.
“What?” I asked.
“You lied.” He stated placing his elbow on my desk and rested his chin on his palm.
“About?” I asked again mimicking his gesture.
“Getting sleep. I can see sling bags under your eyes.” Gregor stated, “is the medicine affecting you?”
“No.” I said and he looked at me condescendingly, “only a little.”
“I thought so. What do you do before you go to sleep?” He asked.
“Excuse me?”
“You know. Do you meditate, play an instrument, eat or take a shower?” He asked.
“Ok that’s not personal at all.” I said, but I answered anyway,” I study until midnight.”
“Ok. Don’t do any homework tonight, take tomorrow off, and sleep. The medication will affect your sleep in a good or bad way-depending on how much you sleep you get.” He stated writing a note on the green folder he gave me, which I did not pay attention to.
“What if I do my homework, still come to school and sleep through all of my classes?” I asked.
“Stay home!” He said, “doctors orders.”
He looked at me again and laughed quietly, “Seriously though. Get some sleep because you look awful.”
I was appalled. “What’s that suppose to mean?”
“If I have to look at you for forty-five minutes of the day, you can at least look pretty.”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment