Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - A Light in the Darkness {Oneshot}

Here is my collection of short stories that tells about my OC, Nozomi Kubota, and how she met and came to get together with Naruto Uzumaki. :3

Chapter 7 - A Light in the Darkness {Oneshot}

Chapter 7 - A Light in the Darkness {Oneshot}
A Light in the Darkness

Naruto groaned and opened an eye as a knock sounded on his door. Who could be calling on him at...Wait, what time was it anyways?

The blond haired boy glanced at his clock. 7:45! "Come back at 9!" he called, putting his pillow over his head.

These last four weeks had been nonstop one-on-one training with Nozomi Kubota, his fellow teammate, and as of four weeks ago, his girlfriend. She was just as powerful as she was attractive (at least in his opinion), and keeping her power restrained had proven itself to be a difficult task.

Naruto sighed in annoyance as the knocking on his door became louder, more frantic sounding, and he threw the pillow off his face. "Ok, I'm coming! Man.."

He rolled onto his stomach- falling face first onto the floor. The boy winced and put a hand to his head as he made his way to the door to see who his visitor was. "What is it?" He opened the door.

"Naruto! You finally answered."

Naruto blinked, looking surprised. "Shizune? What is it? Is Grandma Tsunade in trouble?" he paused, blue eyes lighting up as a new idea came to him. "Oh! Did you come here to make me the next Hokage?" The boy grinned proudly.

"See? I told you guys I would get you to acknowledge me! Now that'll finally happen since I'm Hokage!" Naruto's grin widened slightly. "Oh man, I gotta get dressed! The Hokage doesn't go around greeting visitors in his pajamas! Hold on a second!"

"Naruto!-" Shizune frowned as the door closed in her face, and she gave a frustrated sigh. "I told Lady Tsunade it was too early to wake Naruto!" She sighed again, putting a hand on her head.

A few minutes later, the door opened again to reveal Naruto in his orange and black jumpsuit, headband tied securely on his forehead. A wide grin was plastered on his face. "Ok! I'm ready to be Hokage now! Let's go!"

"Um, Naruto, wait a minute." Shizune spoke up.

The spiky haired ninja looked impatiently at her. "What is it?"

"Well, um..." A drop of sweat rolled down the back of the woman's head, "I didn't come to tell you that...I have a message for you from Lady Tsunade. She wants you to come to her office immediately."

"Then I'm not Hokage?" Naruto deflated.

Shizune gave an apologetic smile as she shook her head in response.

"Aw, maaan!" Naruto let his shoulders slump as he fell silent for a minute. "Well then," a determined smirk formed on his face a moment later, "I'll just have to become even stronger than Grandma Tsunade! I will, you'll see! Believe it!" The boy raised a fist in the air, knuckles clenched tightly. "All right, then it's off to training!"

"Naruto?" Shizune interrupted.

Said ninja frowned at her. "What is it now, Shizune? Can't you see I'm gonna go train?"

"Well, yes...but..." Shizune sweatdropped. "Before you do anything you need to go see Lady Tsunade, remember?"

"Oh...yeah." Naruto's eyes widened in realization and he grumbled under his breath. "Argh! Fine, I'll go, but she better make it quick! I wanna get some training in before it's time to meet Nozomi."

Shizune chuckled softly under her breath. "Ok then, if you're ready, please come with me."

Naruto nodded and allowed the black haired woman to lead him to Tsunade's office where she did all her work. 'This better be good, old hag, for you to interrupt my training!' he thought impatiently.

As if sensing the boy's impatience, Shizune quickened her pace, and they were soon in the long hall, standing outside the door to Tsunade's office. She stepped forward and gave a light knock on the door. "Lady Tsunade, I've brought Naruto as you requested."

"Grandma Tsunade, what's the deal with waking me up this early?!" Naruto demanded, barging in before Tsunade could answer Shizune. He glanced around the room, not surprised to find it cluttered with stacks of paperwork; Tsunade wasn't known for getting her work done promptly.

Naruto looked up just in time to see Tsunade put the lid on a bottle and hastily shove it in a drawer. Then she turned to him, a serious look on her face. "Naruto. I'm glad you could make it. Now, about the reas-"

"Grandma Tsunade, could ya tell me why I'm here?! I gotta go train!" Naruto interrupted.

Tsunade sweatdropped, sighing softly in annoyance as she nodded. "Recently, I had a visitor from the Kubota clan. Apparently, this person who will remain anonymous, knows we have Nozomi here, and warned me of her upcoming fate as a 'Kubota demon'."

Upon hearing this, Naruto forgot all about his training, and a surprised look appeared on his face. "Who was it?" he demanded.

Tsunade sighed, face palming. "I told you, Naruto, that's classified information. However, our visitor did leave me a very interesting document, and I thought you might like to have a look at it.

"Ok.." Naruto gave a slight nod. "Let me see then."

Tsunade rummaged through the clutter on her desk, grabbing a small, neatly rolled up scroll, and she handed it to Naruto.

Curiousity overcoming him now, Naruto unrolled the scroll, his eyes scanning the writing on it. "Wha? These look like instructions for some jutsu!"

"They are. For an alternate jutsu to the extraction jutsu Nozomi told you about."

"You know about that?!" Naruto sputtered in surprise.

Tsunade merely nodded her head. "Naruto, please, I'm the Hokage...not a lot goes on here without me finding out about it one way or another. Anyways.." she paused before speaking again.

"Those instructions were written several years ago by a man named Hiroko Kubota. He didn't agree with the orders to kill the "demon Kubota's", despite what the leader said. He rebelled, vowing he would create a powerful jutsu to control the demons rather than kill them."

"So this is that jutsu..?" Naruto stared down at the scroll he was still holding and frowned. "Why are they still killing the demons if they had this?"

"Because. They lack the chakra required to perform it." Tsunade explained. "If it is carried out successfully, the jutsu is supposed to give the user a permanent control over the demon's -and the host's- chakra, but in exchange, it requires a large amount of chakra to perform it."

Naruto's face fell at this. "So then...Hiroko...what happened?"

"He was killed." Tsunade said after a short pause, her face grim. "After completing his jutsu, Hiroko confronted a Kubota demon. He couldn't summon the required amount of chakra to use it, so the jutsu failed, and he was killed by the demon."

"Wow, poor guy...he was only trying to do something good for his fellow clan members!" Naruto sighed softly, wondering if Nozomi had ever heard this story. Most likely not, since she believed nobody in her clan had ever cared whether a Kubota with an inner demon was killed or not.

"After Hiroko's death," Tsunade went on, "the instructions for his jutsu were locked away, and haven't been seen since until now when our visitor brought them to me." The pale blonde haired woman folded her arms, looking at Naruto seriously. "Naruto, I know you're training Nozomi. I want you to hold on to those instructions."

"Huh?? B-but- why?" The spiky haired boy questioned, confused. "Grandma Tsunade, Nozomi is doing really good, she's getting stronger! She'll be able to keep her demon in check!"

"Naruto.." Tsunade leaned back in her chair and heaved a soft sigh. "I understand that you have faith in her...but you have to face the possibilities...there's a very good chance that Nozomi could lose all control to her demon and get stuck under its possession." she paused. "If that happens, Naruto, I want you to use that jutsu...You of all people shouldn't have any trouble gathering enough chakra to execute the move. Remember, if she does become possessed by the demon in her, that jutsu could be the only way to save her life."

Naruto looked at the older woman then glanced down at the scroll, skimming it for directions. "It says for the jutsu to have any effect, I need to be within at least 10 feet of her..." he sighed, rolling up the document and placing it in his pocket before nodding to Tsunade. "Ok, Grandma Tsunade...I'll hold onto the scroll and if Nozo-chan gets in trouble I'll use the jutsu." He gave a nod, his blue eyes serious. Then he turned and walked out of the office, leaving Tsunade and Shizune to watch in silent surprise.

"He didn't even let me finish." Tsunade chuckled slightly. "Oh well, I guess he'll just find out the rest if he ends up using the jutsu."

She glanced up to see Shizune glaring down at her lightly. "What?"

Her assistant didn't say anything as she held her hand out.

"What is it, Shizune?" Tsunade asked sweatdropping.

"Hand it over." Shizune said firmly.

"What?" Tsunade repeated herself.

Shizune's dark eyes narrowed as she replied, "The sake. Hand it over. Now."

Tsunade's eyes widened slightly upon hearing this and she opened the drawer, grabbing her beloved bottle of sake and clutching it protectively. "No!"

"Lady Tsunade, please. Give me the sake." Shizune repeated, her voice sounding slightly firmer than before.

"No! I need it to help me get my work done!" Tsunade protested.

"Lady Tsunade, you won't get anything accomplished if you're drunk." Shizune reasoned. Then, before the 5th Hokage could react, her assistant reached out and snatched the bottle from her hands.

"My-my sake!!" Tsunade cried. "Give that back, Shizune!"

"I'll just hold onto this until you finish all that paperwork." Shizune gave a small grin, ignoring Tsunade's demand.

"No! Shizune!" Calling was in vain, as Shizune had already left. Probably to go and lock up that bottle with all the other ones she had confiscated from her.

Tsunade sighed and slumped in her seat, a displeased frown on her face, a slight crease forming on her forehead. "Darn that Shizune, always taking away my fun like that!" she whined, glancing at the huge stacks of paperwork that sat on the desk before her. Oh well, might as well get started...Tsunade sighed, taking a paper from the stack, and began reading its contents. This was going to be a long day.

---

"That was crazy." Naruto shook his head as he walked through the village. "A chakra controlling jutsu, and Grandma Tsunade wants me to use it on Nozo-chan? I don't know if I like that idea, but" -Naruto's fists clenched tightly at his sides- "if it'll save her life, I'll definitely try!"

The boy stopped walking as a loud rumble erupted from his stomach and he groaned. "So...hungry...time to meet Nozo-chan." he sighed. "Oh well, I'll get training in some other time I guess. I'm too hungry for that now anyways!"

A smile on his face, Naruto started off at a fast paced trot heading toward his favorite place in Konoha; Ichiraku's Ramen Shop. When he finally got there, Naruto peeked in and his heart did a little flip as his gaze stopped on the girl sitting at the counter. The one wearing all green and black, with the fuzzy black cat ears and tail.

'She's early.' Naruto thought, grinning as he had a seat in the stool next to her. "Hey, Nozo-chan!"

The cat girl didn't answer, not even bothering to look at him. "Nozo-chan!" Naruto gave a tug on the girl's arm and she finally turned to him, a smirk on her face. "Gotcha!" "Eh?" Naruto frowned as she suddenly poofed away. A clone? Naruto scratched his head in confusion. Where was the real Nozomi? What the heck was going on?

He got his answer a moment later as he was suddenly jumped from behind. The spiky haired boy screamed in surprise as he lost his balance and fell off the stool face first, taking his surprised attacker with him. Naruto groaned and rubbed his forehead. This was the second time he'd fallen like this today!

"Naruto!...Are you ok?! I'm really sorry!"

Naruto frowned as his attacker got off his back and grabbed his hand, pulling him to his feet. He stared at her in surprise. "Nozomi! It was you!"

The cat girl glanced down, blushing faintly. "Sorry...I just wanted to get you back for all the times you've snuck up on and scared me this week...I never meant to make you fall...are you hurt? Maybe we should have Sakura take a look at you--ahh I'll go get her, just stay here!-" Nozomi started to leave but was forced to stop as Naruto grabbed her tail and pulled her back gently.

"Nozo-chan, I'm fine. I only fell on my face. Don't worry about it so much, ok?"

Nozomi blushed faintly and jerked her tail out of his hands, backing away from him ever so slightly. "Wh-whatever...Like I care anyways!" She glanced away as she took a seat at the counter, smiling at the old man who stood, waiting for them to order.

"Two ramens, please. One chicken, and one.." Nozomi turned to glance briefly at Naruto, who'd taken the stool next to her. "Naruto, what do you want?"

Naruto stared at her, surprised at the suddenness in her mood change, and he squinted his eyes shut tight, appearing to be deep in thought.

"Naruto-kun?" Nozomi tried again, going as far as to add a suffix if it would get his attention.

"Naruto-kun?" A small smile spread on the boy's face. "Heh, you should call me that more often. Will you, Nozo-chan? It'd feel more like we're going out that way."

"Umm....I..err.guess so." Nozomi replied in surprise.

Naruto smiled, eyes still shut. Nozomi was grateful for this, because she felt she must be blushing. "Anyways! Naruto, answer the question!" she stammered.

The blond haired boy's eyes opened and he grinned at her. "You mean Naruto-kun." he corrected her with a wink, snickering as she turned a light shade of red and looked away. "Chicken sounds good to me, too." he finally said.

Nozomi nodded, and turned back to the man behind the counter. "Ok, make both orders of ramen chicken then, please." She reached into one of the pockets on her jacket and pulled out a small blue pouch, dumping out its contents.

"Nozo-chan, I can afford it!" Naruto insisted.

To his surprise, the cat girl looked up from the counter and gave him a small, innocent little cat-like grin. "Naruto-"

"Naruto-kun, Nozo-chan."

"Naruto-kun, then...please." Nozomi paused. "All you've been doing for the past four weeks is train me, and you never complain..."

"It's not like I have a reason to," Naruto interrupted grinning, "I get to be with you!"

Nozomi, knowing she was going to blush again, quickly looked back down at the money on the counter, avoiding his gaze. "What I'm trying to say is...at least let me do something to repay you!" Before Naruto could say anything else, she paid the man and he walked off to make their ramen.

After cramming the blue pouch back into her pocket, Nozomi turned to face him once again. "Seriously though, Naruto...Naruto-kun...I wish I could do more to thank you...this hardly seems enough." she trailed off fretfully.

"Hey that's not true, free ramen is a great treat!" Naruto said cheerily, smiling as their orders were placed before of them. They broke the chopsticks, and dug hungrily into the steaming bowls of ramen.

They ate in silence for a few minutes. Then Naruto turned and looked at Nozomi as a sudden thought struck him. "Hey, Nozo-chan, if you really want to, there is another way you could repay me for helping you."

"Hmmm?" Nozomi turned to him, slurping a long stream of hot noodles as she listened, golden eyes shining with interest.

"Well," Naruto stopped eating long enough to answer, "We could go on a date."

Nozomi gasped sharply and the sudden inhalation caused her to swallow the rest of her noodles without chewing, making the cat girl go into a coughing fit. "A---date?!" she sputtered, still trying to breathe normal again.

Naruto watched her, a grin playing on his lips. "Yes, a date. Think about it like this: You want to thank me, and we've been working really hard. It's a perfect time to take a rest, and while we're at it, go on a date." He gave her an innocent little smile.

"You know, we haven't gone on one date since you agreed to be with me. Its just been nonstop training. I'd really like it if for one day you treated me like your boyfriend instead of your sparring partner."

Naruto paused, his eyes becoming serious as he saw the glimmer of reluctance in Nozomi's eyes. "Don't forget, we're going out, now. It wouldn't hurt to act like a couple and do other things together."

Nozomi fell silent and glanced down at her ramen, over her coughing fit. "Isn't me calling you 'Naruto-kun' enough for now?" she questioned as she started to get to her feet, reluctance in her eyes again.

Naruto watched her, frowning. "Nozo-chan, stop being so reluctant. You TOLD me you'd stop fighting me if we could find a way to control your demon, and we're working on that. So stop holding back. No more hiding." He reached out and grabbed the cat girl's arm, forcing her to sit again and turned her so she was looking at him. "Don't make me do something drastic to force those feelings to surface again, Nozo-hime."

The blood rushed to Nozomi's face as she realized Naruto had leaned in so close, their noses were almost touching, their lips just inches apart. "Naruto-kun, please..." she all but whispered in protest and she gave his chest a gentle shove, pushing him away.

Naruto sighed and sat back on his stool, staring into her eyes firmly, his eyes giving a desperate plea. "C'mon, Nozo-chan...it's just one date. Please."

In an attempt to ignore him, Nozomi grabbed her chopsticks again, and snatched up another bunch of ramen, shoving it in her mouth, taking her time eating it.

"Nozo-chan." Naruto sighed as he watched her. "You said you wanted to thank me properly for my help This will be more than enough. Just one day for us to act like a couple...then tomorrow it'll be back to training. OK?"

Nozomi swallowed hard and looked at him uncertainly. "Do you...promise?"

Naruto's responding grin was wide and full of sincerity. "I do." he said softly.

Nozomi blushed as she forced herself to nod her head. "O..ok, just for today. We'll go on a d-" She sweatdropped, finding it difficult to form the word. The cat girl closed her eyes and took a deep breath before trying again. "We'll go on a date after this." she finally managed to say, giving the blond haired boy next to her a shy, awkward smile.

"Promise?" Naruto pressed.

Nozomi sighed and slumped her shoulders. "Sure, why not? Yeah, I promise..."

Naruto grinned at her. "It's a date then!" he said cheerily as he watched her eat. Every now and then, Nozomi would peek at him from the corner of her eye, only to lock gazes with him and hastily avert her gaze back to her food, blushing wildly. Naruto couldn't help but smile again. The way she got so flustered by his watching at her was so cute!

Nozomi forced herself to ignore him and quickly gulped down the rest of her ramen, sighing in contentment. "Mmm..that was good...Naruto-kun, you should eat yours before it gets cold and my money is wasted." she mumbled, still unable to look at him.

To her surprise, Naruto just gave a small chuckle. "I've been finished! I was just waiting for you to be done."

"What?!" Nozomi looked at Naruto's ramen bowl in disbelief. It was empty. When had he finished eating? She was almost positive he'd only taken a few bites before he'd started into her about the whole "date" thing, and...wait. Nozomi's eyes widened and she gasped inwardly. Crap, they were both done now!

'That means it's time for the d-da-date!'' her mind screamed frantically.

The cat girl gulped silently as Naruto, almost like he'd heard her thoughts, gave her a wide grin and grabbed her hand. "Ok, are ya ready, Nozo-chan?" Without waiting for an answer, Naruto stood, pulling Nozomi up with him, and led her out of the ramen shop. Once outside, he released her hand and looked at her. "So, I was thinking we could just go walking, unless there's something else you'd like to do."

"No, a walk sounds, um, great!" Nozomi replied, trying to sound enthusiastic. This was hard for her, though, because she hadn't agreed to go on a date with Naruto because she wanted to, he had guilted her into it. She'd actually been hoping to talk him out of it over another round of ramen, but he'd dragged her out before she could say anything!

"So let's go then." Naruto reached out to put his arm around the cat girl and she quickly moved away, wanting as little physical contact with him as possible.

"Nozo-chan, don't do that." Naruto pouted. "You promised me a date, you know!"

Nozomi hesitated before holding out her hand for him to hold, blushing faintly. Ok, holding hands wouldn't be TOO bad. She hoped.

Naruto took hold of her hand, frowning slightly. Suddenly, without any warning, he gave a yank on her hand, pulling her into him. He released her hand and wrapped his arm around her waist, keeping her securely pressed against his side as they walked.

Nozomi felt her face heat up and she glanced up at him shyly, uncertainty in her eyes. "Naruto-kun...isn't this a little too..um..close for comfort?" she asked quietly. All the while her ears were pressed back against her head, her tail twitching nervously from side to side.

Naruto just smiled down at her. "Nah, I think it's just fine!" He tightened his grip on her slightly in case she tried to escape. She did. The cat girl's fur spiked up as she unsuccessfully tried to jerk away, eyes wide with embarrassment.

Naruto scowled at her. "Nozomi, PLEASE." he said firmly, using her full name to make his point.

The tone of his voice (not to mention being called Nozomi instead of "Nozo-chan") made Nozomi stop, and she relaxed against him slightly. "...Ok..." she replied in a low voice, sighing softly in defeat.

Her mistake had been promising him a date! If she hadn't done that, she might have been able to get away from him easier. But no...since she'd promised him a date, this outing had to be different than normal. They had to act like a couple. The cat girl flinched at the word "couple".

She'd been Naruto's girlfriend for four weeks, now, but they'd never done anything except hang out and (occasionally) hold hands. Walking with his hand on her waist pressing her against him was definitely out of her comfort zone! She sighed as she tried again, unsuccessfully to pull away, and rested her head against the boy. Somehow, she'd have to make the best of this situation. She'd have to adjust. The cat girl lowered her head and sighed softly again. "Naruto-kun...I'm sorry for being like this..."

Naruto stopped walking and stared down at her, his eyes serious, almost angry looking. "Just tell me one thing, Nozomi. Why are you doing it?"

Nozomi flinched involuntarily at her real name. She couldn't help it. He only used her full name when he was upset, or he wanted her to be serious. "W-well, um..." Nozomi stammered, struggling to come up with an excuse, "I-umm..I'm just not in a real romance-y mood right now...heheh." she sweatdropped, sighing inwardly.

'The real reason, Naruto, is because I think we need to break up. I'm afraid if we stay this close I'll hurt you. I can't keep this monster in me contained too much longer; you'd be better off if you forgot about me and just kicked me out of Konoha...'

Naruto eyed her seriously, still frowning. "If you aren't in the mood to act like you're actually my girlfriend, why'd you promise me a date?"

Nozomi frowned and pulled away from him. "I'm sorry, Naruto-kun...I don't know what's with me...ahh..you know what, let's just try this some other time." She had just started to walk away when Naruto's hand clamped down on her shoulder, preventing her movement, and he turned the surprised cat girl toward him, catching her lips with his, in a firm, I'm-not-letting-you-leave-me kind of kiss.

Nozomi's eyes grew to nearly the size of saucers as she fought to get away from him, and at long last she succeeded. "Naruto-kun, what are you doing?! I already told you I'm not in the mood to be acting so romantic!" she glared at him, blushing hard as she pushed his hand off of her shoulder and backed away from him.

'I don't want you to get hurt! Can't you see it's better if you just stay away from me?'

The expression on Naruto's face was pure determination as he stepped forward and put both hands on her shoulders. "I know you said that," he grinned slightly, "but Nozo-chan, you promised me a date...and like it or not, I'm going to make you show your feelings for me!" He gave a jerk on Nozomi's shoulders, pulling her face first into his chest.

The cat girl blushed, wishing she wasn't so easily embarrassed all the time. Standing here, pressed into him like this, she could feel her heart thumping in her chest like mad. "Y-you-that doesn't have any effect on me! I am not in the mood for romance!" she lied, ducking her head down to hide her face. One good look at her eyes, and the red tint on her face and he'd see right through her lie.

Naruto grinned, chuckling and shaking his head. "It won't help to lie, Nozo-chan, I can feel your heartbeat. It's going really fast, you know. That, and.." Naruto placed a hand under Nozomi's chin and tilted her head backward so she faced him, "You're also blushing really hard." he informed the cat girl with a grin.

Nozomi grimaced, unhappy to be caught in her lie and she tried to pull away from the boy- only to discover he had both arms wrapped tightly around her waist again. She was trapped.

Naruto smirked as the blushing cat girl fought to pry his hands off her. "You know, this date thing can be easy or hard! I'm not letting you get away from me...Nozomi I think there's something else going on here. What's the REAL reason you're trying to escape me?"

Nozomi headed a long, heavy sigh and glanced sideways, away from him. "It's because...I don't think us being together is a good idea anymore..I'm sorry."

"What?! Why not?!" Naruto demanded, looking hurt.

"Because," Nozomi smiled sadly, "tomorrow is my 16th birthday...I feel weaker these days...and with tomorrow being what it is, I just...can't be sure about my inner demon staying contained.." The cat girl gave a shaky, relieved sigh as Naruto let go of her waist, and she backed away from him. "I'm glad you understand...so, then, I'll be go-"

She turned to leave, but Naruto grabbed her arm, stopping her, and forced her to face him, giving her a serious look. "Yeah, I understand that you're too scared to be with me because you still think your demon will possess you." he sighed. "Nozo-chan, just relax and stop worrying about it. Remember, you aren't alone in this anymore." he smiled warmly. "I'm with you, now. We're gonna overcome this together."

Nozomi tried not to pay attention to the warmth in his electric blue eyes as she glanced up at him. "Naruto-kun..." her golden eyes were troubled, sad, "it's not just me worrying too much...you see, my demon spoke to me recently. It said "I can feel your grip on my power weakening, Nozomi...it won't be long now, until I take complete control." The cat girl hung her head. "It's true, in spite of all this training, I feel so weak...I won't be able to hold my own against this thing much longer."

Nozomi sighed again. "That why I don't think us being together id a good idea, anymore. I am so sorry, Naruto-kun." She sounded like she was crying, judging from the many pauses she took, and how low her voice had become.

Naruto reached out and grabbed the cat girl's wrists as she backed further away from him, head lowered. "Nozomi, stop!" he shouted as she started fighting to get free.

Nozomi froze at his tone and she glanced up at him, revealing a very wet, tear streaked face. "Naruto-kun...just let it go. You can't save me."

"I don't care how hopeless you think it is! I'm gonna save you no matter what!- I won't let go!" Naruto growled, eyes blazing.

"Naruto-kun! You can't save me!" Nozomi cried, trying to pull away again. "All I'll ever be is a monster...Just give up!"

"Give up?!" Naruto's eyes filled with anger, and he tightened his grip on the girl's wrists. "Do you think you're the only one who's viewed as a monster?!" His voice trembled as he spoke, his blazing blue eyes burning into her bright, golden eyes.

"I was like you! People just labeled me as the ninetailed fox kid and avoided eye contact with me. Even when I entered the Academy they thought I was a big joke, and nobody acknowledged me. But..."

There was a pause as Naruto's face became clouded, his mind undoubtedly revisiting these memories. "I never gave up, and in the end I finally found friends who accepted me! Even when I lost control, I kept trying!" he sighed. "Even then, I'm still a monster like you...and Grandma Tsunade's concerned with protecting me from the Akutsuki..because I'm a monster. We're the same, you know? The only difference is you gave up before you could make any valuable friends." His eyes softened. "That's why I'm going to be not just your boyfriend, but also the friend who doesn't let you quit...if you don't give up, good things will happen, I promise!"

Nozomi inhaled sharply as Naruto jerked her wrists and, knocked off balance, she stumbled forward into him again. "Why do you try so hard, Naruto-kun? There are better people than me out there..better girls you could be with right now." she reasoned with him.

"Nozomi...!" Naruto ran a hand through her hair, lightly stroking her cat ears as he encountered them. "I knew it the minute I met you, when you mouthed off to me and I knocked you out...when I learned about the life you had, and despite all that you trusted me...you were made to be mine."

He smiled at the bewildered look the cat girl was giving him. "That's why I kept trying, even when you brushed me off and pushed me away. I believed you were meant for me." The boy's voice dropped to a whisper. "It's also why I can't let you give up..you're too important of a person for me to lose you!"

Nozomi listened quietly, blushing hard. 'Why couldn't I have just been normal?'

"I'm really...that important to you?" she asked in a small voice.

"You're kidding me, right?" Naruto looked at her like she was crazy. "You should know the answer! You're the most-"

"Ok then...I'm sorry."

Before Naruto could figure out what Nozomi meant, the cat girl lifted her head and pressed her lips against his in a gentle kiss, in which he was quick to respond, his arms sliding around her waist, resting against her tail. Nozomi wrapped her arms around his neck, running one hand through his spiky yellow hair. A few seconds later, they pulled apart, both of them panting hard.

"So, what do you think?" Naruto asked softly, breathlessly.

Nozomi gave a weak smile of her own. "I think you'd be much better off with a normal girl." she smirked. "Because I'm gonna be more trouble for you to handle than I'm worth!"

Naruto's grin widened as he realized what she was saying, and he snickered. "I'm sure I can find a way to deal with you."

"Oh, I dun-" Nozomi was cut off as she was pulled into another kiss, this one longer than the last. When at last they broke the kiss, the two teenagers just stared, smiling at the other.

"I...love you, Naruto-kun." Nozomi wrapped her arms around the blond haired boy's middle in a hug. "I don't deserve you, but somehow I have you, even after pushing you away so many times...I just don't get how, or why.."

Naruto chuckled. "It's called fate. I told you, you were meant to be mine...I could never leave you no matter how much you tried to make me."

Nozomi blushed faintly as she felt his chin resting on her head, and from the way things sounded, she knew he was inhaling deeply, enjoying the lavender scent of her hair.

"W-well, I'm yours for as long as my demon will allow me to be." the cat girl said softly.

"Nozo-chan." Naruto leaned his head back so he could look in her eyes. "Don't worry so much about your demon. I have a plan if it DOES try taking over..." he paused as the girl's words sunk in fully. "Does..that mean you'd even...you know...marry me?"

At his words, Nozomi blushed, pulling away a little. "Well, I don't know about that! We just barely started dating, you know."

"Maybe," Naruto pulled her in again, trapping her once more in his "iron" grip, "but we've known each other since we were kids, you know? So it's not rushing as much as you're trying to make it sound."

"Ahhh! Naruto-kun we're too young to be talking about these kinds of things!" Nozomi's voice softened. "The point is, I'm yours for now...for as long as you want me."

"Oh." Naruto blinked. "So if I said I wanted you forever, would you marry me then?"

Nozomi face palmed, blushing hard now. "I don't know, maybe! You know, you can't propose to me NOW, though!"

"Why not?" Naruto frowned. "Why can't I make sure no guy can take you away from me by asking you right now?"

The blush on Nozomi's face darkened and she she looked away. "Naruto-kun, no guy is going to steal me..and..well, because...uhh...you know!" She paused. "Because! You can't propose without a ring! Ahahaahaaa..." she laughed nervously.

"Oh. Naruto blinked. "So if I ask with a ring you'll say yes?" he gave a hopeful smile.

"If you ask with a ring, I'll give you an actual answer." Nozomi replied, praying feverishly that he wouldn't come after her with an engagement ring anytime soon. That'd be all she needed to die of embarrassment!

"Well then, ok. I'll look for a ring soon!" Naruto said enthusiastically, making the girl groan inwardly.

"Great.." she said with fake enthusiasm.

"So, anyways, let's get back to our date now." Naruto smiled. "Just one more thing..please don't fight me." As he spoke, Naruto gently tilted her head up to his. They were just about to kiss when a voice spoke from behind them.

"You two need to get a room!"

"Nyaaa?!" Nozomi jerked away from Naruto and they both turned quickly, their bewildered stares landing on none other than...

"Pervy Sage?!" Naruto shrieked, eyes bulging.

"What are you doing here?!" Nozomi demanded, feeling the heat rise to her face. Of all the people who could see her about to kiss Naruto, it just HAD to be that old pervert!

"I was just on my way to get some ramen when I overheard you two talking." Jiraiya smirked. "Seriously, you guys are one hot couple! In fact..." Have gave a grin. "Your commitment to each other is exactly what I'm looking for for my next book!" The sage's face turned to a creepy, perverted grin.

"Shy and uncertain of the future, whether you two should stay together, then finally, after a long talk about it all, a promise to each other is made, (even with discussion of marriage) and the whole thing is sealed with a hot, steamy kiss! Perfect! So...will you help me with my, heheh...research?" Jiraiya looked at them hopefully, the perverted grin never leaving his face.

Nozomi and Naruto just stared at him, eyes wide, jaws dropped, blushing furiously. He'd heard all that?! He'd seen everything?!

"C'mon, help me out?" Jiraiya tried again. He winked at Nozomi. "I only really need you, to be honest. I KNOW how Naruto is."

Nozomi gasped sharply and the fur on her ears and tail spiked up as he moved closer, placing his hands on her chest in a "stroking" manner. The cat girl shrieked and slapped him on the face, leaving a bright red hand print. "Leave me alone, you PERVERT!" she snarled.

"Hey, take it easy." Jiraiya winced. "You should be better about this, I mean c'mon, Naruto's not getting ups-" The toad sage didn't get to finish his sentence as Naruto suddenly tackled him to the ground, an angry look on his face.

"Don't touch Nozo-chan! She's my girl! Ya HEAR me, Pervy Sage?!" he snarled angrily. "If you EVER touch her again, I'll beat you to such a bloody pulp that not even Gradma Tsunade will be able to cure you! Understand?!"

The beaten sennin gave a weak nod.

"Good." Naruto let him up and grabbed Nozomi's hand. "C'mon, Nozo-chan, let's get out of here!"

Nozomi stumbled, nearly falling as he began walking at a fast pace. Somehow she regained her balance and walked silently alongside the blond.

'Naruto, you're such a great guy...and you fought for me...my dignity..I really hope I don't lose control to my demon...because if not, I think I would love to marry you one day.'

"Are you ok, Nozo-chan?" Naruto turned to look at her worriedly. "He didn't...hurt you, did he?"

"No, more like he humiliated me...but I'm ok." Nozomi smiled, "Thank you, Naruto-kun."

"Hey...I'll always fight for you, Nozo-chan." Naruto smiled at her widenly. "ESPECIALLY if it's that Pervy Sage...I don't want him laying a finger on you- you're MINE!"

Nozomi blushed, allowing herself to lean against Naruto's shoulder, and he wrapped an arm around her, smiling.

'Naruto-kun...' she gazed up at him, smiling warmly, shyly as she realized he was looking down at her. 'Thank you...for believing in me...and never giving up on me...I hope one day I can believe in myself as much as you do.'

She closed her eyes happily and put an arm around him, sighing happily. 'Naruto-kun...Thank you so much.

---

"Aw, rats!" Nozomi jumped up, nearly falling out of bed as her alarm clock went off for what must have been the tenth time. She flipped the off button and went to work untangling herself from the bedsheets, which were wrapped tightly around her, ensnaring her from her thighs down. "Let me go, darn you!" The cat girl hissed, thrashing wildly- just wild enough that she toppled face first off the bed. "Ow!" Nozomi rubbed her nose gingerly. "My poor nose!"

After another 5 minutes of failed attempts, Nozomi ended up just slashing the sheets off with her claws. "Mou! There's another set of sheets I'll have to replace now!" she grumbled in annoyance.

The cat girl glanced at the clock and screamed in frustration. It was 12:30! "Oh my g-- I'm late- by almost two hours!" she wailed.

Nozomi scrambled to her feet and hurriedly through her green and black jacket and skirt over her netted top and knee length netted shorts, all the while cursing herself under her breath.

Why had she stayed up so late? If she would've just forced herself to sleep instead of worrying about her demon taking over, she wouldn't have slept in so late!

"Rats! This really sucks!" Nozomi sighed, putting on her silver bell and running a brush through her long brown hair. "I hope he's not too mad!" She quickly slipped on her black sandals. 'Forgive me, Naruto. I'm late, I know!'

The cat girl hurriedly opened the door and ran out, crashing into someone and knocking them down, falling on top of them. "What the?!" Nozomi's face turned scarlet as she found herself staring into the surprised, bright blue eyes of Naruto Uzumaki!

"Kyaaa! Naruto! What are you doing here?!" she all but shrieked as she scrambled to her feet.

Naruto got up as well, smiling at her while blushing faintly. "So, where's the fire?"

Nozomi blushed awkwardly. "There's no fire ." she mumbled. "Sorry...I was in a hurry because I slept in, and I wasn't expecting anyone to be outside the door...heh..."

Naruto merely chuckled. "I figured you might still be sleeping, that's why I came to get you...but it looks like you got me instead! Hehe!"

Nozomi blushed harder and looked away, rolling her eyes. "I said I was sorry!"

"I know." Naruto snickered. "I'm only teasing."

"Eh..whatever." Nozomi covered her mouth as she yawned loudly.

"Hey, you look tired." Naruto pointed out, observant as always when it came to the cat girl.

Nozomi gave a sheepish grin. "I kinda am..." she admitted.

"What time did you go to sleep?" Naruto asked. "1? 2? 3?" He was used to Nozomi's late night routine, and so it never surprised him to hear she'd been up past 1 AM.

Nozomi grimaced, knowing that even Naruto wouldn't be able to condone her behavior if he knew exactly how late she'd stayed up, and all over worry that her demon might possess her today. So, rather than tell him what time she'd gone to bed, she lied. "Uh...I think I finally dozed off somewhere between 4 and 5..."

Naruto stared at her for a minute before answering. "What?! Ok, Nozo-chan, I know that because of the feline in you, you can't get to sleep early, but 4 or 5 in the morning?! That's way too late, even for you! You keep up that behavior and I'll stay at your place tonight and make sure you get to sleep early! Remember, I KNOW how to make you drowsy!"

"Ah! Calm down, Naruto!" Nozomi held her hands out in front of her in protest, sweatdropping. "Seriously...it's nothing a little cat nap can't fix...so don't worry so much!"

'Good thing I didn't tell him I was actually up until 6:30...'

Naruto sighed and nodded his head in defeat. "Fine, ok...just don't fall asleep during training, or I'll have to carry you home!"

Nozomi blushed faintly and shook her head. "Not gonna happen, you won't get that luxury today! Cause I'm not that tired- I CAN walk."

As soon as these words left her mouth, Nozomi felt the ground beginning to move- or was that her swaying? She didn't have time to answer as she suddenly pitched forward into black oblivion...

--

When she opened her eyes, Nozomi was surprised to find herself in a pitch black room, standing in front of a set of large, silver iron bars. She'd been here before. This was her subconscious mind, where her inner demon was trapped behind the bars that were made of her will.

As if it knew she was thinking this, the demon peered out at Nozomi from behind the bars, blood red and yellow eyes anxious, excited.

"Kubota." the beast said in a tone above that of a whisper, its voice smooth and deep sounding.

"Bakaneko." Nozomi answered coolly, putting her hands on her hips.

"Kubota...it's almost time." The cat demon spoke in the same tone as before, ignoring what Nozomi had called it. "I've nearly broken through the bars of your will...they're weak in comparison to my will. It won't be long now before I'm outside and you're the one trapped behind these annoying bars forever!"

"No, that's not gonna happen! I'm getting stronger! I won't let you out! I'm staying in control!" Nozomi growled angrily.

The cat demon just laughed evilly, its huge tail swishing from side to side. "You poor, naive fool! So long as your will remains this weak, it won't matter HOW strong you get physically! Even now that you have a boyfriend and others who need you, it seems your will to survive is the same as before..."

There was a pause. "My will grows stronger with the day as my desire to get out of here gets stronger and stronger! So, let me ask you...after that comparison, who do YOU think will win?" The demon laughed at Nozomi's bewildered expression. "Hehehe...it will be very soon..."

"No! I won't allow you to have the control!" Nozomi shouted angrily. Her voice was drowned out as the cat demon charged up a ball of explosive energy, and sent it at the iron bars. The resulting sound was louder than a hundred paper bombs.

The cat demon's eyes narrowed into slits, a smirk forming on its face as one of the iron bars broke in two. "I must say, I feel a little sorry for your boyfriend. He fights for you to survive, because he cares about you...you SAY you care about him but yet you won't fight any harder than THIS for him." The feline motioned to the broken bar.

"You don't know what you're saying!" Nozomi protested. "I DO love him, I WILL keep fighting for him!"

"Oh, really?" The demon fired another blast of explosive energy, breaking down another iron bar of Nozomi's will.

"If you care for him so much, then why isn't your will any stronger than this?"

Another blast obliterated yet another bar. "I must say, for someone who loves her boyfriend and wants to stay in control so she can be with him, you're making this very easy."

Nozomi's eyes widened in horror as the beast easily destroyed two more iron bars, and she sank to her knees, trembling.

'I thought...I was stronger. That I was going to try harder for Naruto, so I could stay with him!...Why is my will crumbling so easily? Why is this happening?!'

The demon laughed cruelly, enjoying listening to its distressed host's thoughts. "That's right, Kubota...you're not as dedicated to him as you thought...because...you don't really want to be with him...what you want is to unleash me, and become a killer. You want to hurt everyone for treating you so horribly."

"Nooo!" Nozomi clutched her head in agony as painful memories from her past washed over her like a tidal wave, and she shook her head, trying to send them away. "I've moved on! I don't wanna hurt people, I want to be a good person! I don't want to be a monster...!"

"Oh, but my dear, you already are a monster.." the demon chuckled. "You were born one, and you can't change it. A monster can try, but it will never belong...never be fully accepted. All a monster is good for is to kill."

"No! I am NOT a monster, I've been accepted by the people in Konoha!" Despite Nozomi's desperate attempts to down out her demon, the memories were still playing fresh in her mind, and tears streamed rapidly down her face.

"That's right, Kubota." The cat demon laughed viciously as it watched from behind the remaining bars of Nozomi's will. "Suffer through the memories, the pain, sadness of being rejected...the loneliness...down in your sorrow, knowing that nobody cares!"

"The people here in Konoha don't care, it's all an act so that you won't hurt them! Even Naruto Uzumaki, who claims that he loves you is only using you for his own purposes...he doesn't care about your feelings...Nobody does!"

The pain from hearing this was too great, and Nozomi collapsed face first onto the ground, surrounded by the pitch blackness even worse now. She shut her eyes tight, almost as if she thought she'd be able to hide from the pain she was feeling.

'That's it...nobody cares...it's all been a huge joke...and I fell for it? What a fool...nothing but a lie...'

"Nozomi! Nozomi!"

Nozomi opened an eye halfway as Naruto's voice invaded her mind.

"Nozomi, wake up!"

The cat girl heaved a soft sigh as she hears Naruto's voice in her head again, and she got reluctantly to her feet, wishing that she could just stay here, hidden in the darkness, away from all the lies. Forever.

Hearing her thoughts, the demon put a paw through the bars and wrapped it around Nozomi, pulling her against the bar prison. "There, there, Kubota."

The cat demon gave her a menacing smile. "I promise, I'll trade places with you just as soon as I knock down the rest of these bars of your will...then you can hide here in the darkness, forever. You'll never have to listen to another lie again."

Nozomi sniffled, raising a hand to her eyes, wiping away the tears, and she glanced at the demon, nodding in what looked like silent agreement.

"Excellent." The huge beast behind the bars grinned. "Now run along before he calls you again."

--

"Nozomi? Nozomi! Oh, thank Kami!"

Nozomi opened her eyes, squinting as they adjusted to the lighting outside; so different an atmosphere that that of the dark, musty room she'd been in moments before. She glanced up into the relieved looking face of Naruto, and she frowned. What if the demon was telling the truth, and Naruto really was just using her? Could it really all be a lie that she'd actually allowed herself to believe?

'I wouldn't be surprised...my whole life has been full of lies and hurt.' she thought, beginning to believe Kumoraku's words.

"Are you ok?" Naruto asked. "You really scared me, fainting like that...you're lucky I was able to catch you. What happened, anyways?"

Nozomi looked away, realizing, now that he'd mentioned it, that he was crouched down, holding her, resting her head on his arm.

"Nozo-chan?" The blond boy pressed.

"I'm...fine." Nozomi answered, her voice sounding unintentionally cold. The cat girl did a double take, reminding herself that she wasn't supposed to act angry, just tired. "I...guess I was more tired than I thought, hehe.." she added quickly in a weakened voice.

"If you say so...please, be more careful!" Naruto replied worriedly, holding her against his chest in a protective hug.

Instinctively, Nozomi's arms shot out, pushing him away from her as she quickly got to her feet.

"Hey, what was that for?" Naruto frowned in confusion as he, too, got to his feet. "Don't tell me you're playing hard get...we did that yesterday, remember?" he smiled teasingly.

Nozomi flinched at this. He'd talked her out of breaking up with him and leaving, telling her he would do anything to save her; that he had a plan...He'd even gone as far as to tell her she couldn't leave him, because she was fated to be his forever. The cat girl bit her lip hard. He'd sounded so convincing...and she'd fallen for it. She'd fallen for the whole, darn, stinkin' act!

Nozomi gave the blond a wry smirk. "True, but you also said today wouldn't be a date-- it's back to training, remember?"

Naruto nodded, sighing quietly. "I know, but I was just thinking...wouldn't you rather relax on your birthday? You know...take it easy and just be together another day?"

Nozomi's mind flashed back to the chat with Kumoraku, the broken bars, and she shook her head as if trying to clear the images from her mind. "No!" she shouted desperately.

Naruto stared at her in bewildered silence, taken by surprise by her sudden outburst.

The cat girl sweatdropped. "Uh, I mean...no...thanks, but it doesn't matter what day it is- I've got to keep training." she said, still trying to ignore the images playing in her mind.

"...Nozo-chan, is something wrong?" Naruto asked suddenly.

"Wha?" Nozomi gulped. "Wh-why would you think that? Nothing's wrong!"

"Well, you look really scared, suddenly," Naruto pointed out, "and your tail's twitching like crazy..it only does that when you're nervous about something, you know. Is there something you aren't telling me?"

"Whatnoofcoursenot!" Nozomu blurted out, forgetting to breathe in her panic as she grabbed onto her tail, forcing it to stop twitching so much. Trust Naruto to observe her enough to know what made her tail act up...Once again he was just too observant when it came to her! He probably knew more about her physically than her own parents had!

"You know I don't believe that." Naruto stared at her seriously. "It's not even just your tail, it's also the way you're acting, forgetting to breathe even! Nobody would believe you're ok! Now tell me what's going on!"

Nozomi shook her head. "Naruto, it's nothing, really!" she insisted, sweatdropping as her tail squirmed free from her hand and resumed its violent twitching pattern.

Naruto took one look at her, then at her tail again and frowned. "Either you tell me or...I'll let the Pervy Sage use you for his 'research'!"

Nozomi's eyes bulged and her face turned red. "You wouldn't DARE! You're bluffing!" she growled. Nervousness flickered in her eyes.

Naruto snickered under his breath before giving her a serious look. "Do you really want to find out if I am or not? What if it's not a bluff?"

Nozomi gulped, sweatdropping as she realized she couldn't afford to take a chance with Naruto's threat. "FINE!" She heaved a deep sigh and began her story, telling him everything that had happened between her and Kumoraku, including what had been said about him. When she had finished, Naruto was staring at her in disbelief.

"It sounds like I might have to use it..." he mumbled, thinking of the scroll Tsunade had given him the day before, which he had in his pocket.

"Eh, what?" Nozomi frowned.

"I mean," A drop of sweat ran down the back on Naruto's head, "Don't you dare give in to that demon, Nozo-chan! Don't listen to what she says, especially not the things about ME. I care about you more than anyone in this village, you know that!"

Before Nozomi could have a chance to react, the boy stepped forward and pulled her into a hug, pinning her arms to her sides. "I meant it when I said I loved you...and that you were made to be mine...I wouldn't lie to you about that!" Naruto paused. "I'm not like that Suoh guy from your clan...I CARE what happens to you." There was another pause as he sighed inwardly. "You believe me, don't you?" he asked in a softer voice.

Nozomi nodded her head, feeling stupid for ever believing what her inner demon had said. "Uh huh..." she mumbled weakly, no longer fighting to unpin her arms.

A few minutes went by and the cat girl sighed. "Well, let's get to the training field. We're already late enough thanks to me sleeping in, and my fainting didn't help at all either."

Naruto laughed and released the girl from his embrace, walking beside her, grinning.

Nozomi couldn't help but smile back a little.

--

Nozomi grinned as they arrived at the woodsy field they usually trained in. It was like a grassy meadow, almost, but with practically its own built in forest, there were so many trees and bushes. A perfect place for two shinobi to train.

Nozomi glanced at the blond next to her. "So, what are the rules today, Naruto?" she asked.

Naruto just grinned. "I thought today we could just fight with whatever we want; jutsu, ninjutsu, taijutsu, anything we feel like. No rules today, except that we can't kill each other."

Nozomi snickered. "Of course...that's a good rule to follow. So let's get started!"

"OK...here I come then!" Naruto warned.

Nozomi laughed and quickly jumped away, quickly putting at least 15 feet between the two of them. "Alright, bring it on!" She struck a taunting pose.

Naruto didn't say anything as he charged toward the cat girl at break neck speed. His feet thudded heavily against the ground as he ran, ramming himself head first into Nozomi, only to stagger back in surprise as she suddenly turned into a log. "A substitution jutsu, huh? Very clever!" Naruto smirked. "Not clever enough to beat me, though! Multi shadow clone jutsu!"

Instantly, the entire field was covered in clones of the blond haired boy, and they all took off in opposite directions to seek out Nozomi.

"Hehe...good luck finding me up here." Nozomi murmured softly as she watched the clones from up in a tree.

"Oh, I don't think I'll need luck."

"Hmmm, really?" Nozomi turned and ducked, narrowly avoiding the fist Naruto swung at her. "Nice try." Nozomi winked and then socked him in the stomach, smirking as there was a loud "poof!" sound, and her disappeared in a cloud of smoke. "Clone. Just as I thought."

The cat girl's ears twitched as she heard a loud yell, and she jumped hastily out of the tree and backed away, into the clearing, watching as two Naruto's, having lunged for her from opposite directions, collided head first and poofed away. "Hehe, Naruto-kun, you need more practice!" Nozomi snickered.

"I'm good enough to beat you, Nozo-chan!"

"What?" Nozomi glanced around in surprise as she suddenly found herself surrounded by several Naruto clones. The cat girl sweatdropped, mentally slapping herself for letting herself be fooled by the first three clones. Of course, the first one had been a decoy to find out where she was hiding, and the other two had been a diversion to force her out of hiding. Into the open field where hundreds of clones could easily spot and surround her.

The brunette sighed and placed a hand on her head, annoyed with herself for falling for such an obvious trap. 'Oh well,' she decided, 'I guess it's time to kick some shadow clone butt!'

Nozomi crouched down into a cat like pose, legs stretched far apart, balancing herself with only her tail and her right arm as she grabbed a kunai in her left hand. Granted, she wasn't great with her left hand, being a "right-y", but still. As she glanced at the tight circle of clones that had her trapped, the cat girl held the pointed weapon out menacingly. "Well, what are you waiting for? Come and get me already! Or are you scared I'll bite you?"

The ground vibrated violently under Nozomi's feet, almost like a small earthquake as the clones charged toward Nozomi, throwing wild punches.

Nozomi just barely managed to avoid the attacks, ducking to the ground in a pose that could only be described as her doing push ups. Then, moving with lightning fast speed, she brought her legs in and spun in a tight circle, kicking any clone that got to close to her, making it vanish.

She winced as one of the clones grabbed her tail, and was forced to stop her cycle of intense spinning as she fought to free it. This was one thing she hated about being part CAT demon. Having such a long tail gave her such a weakness; just grabbing it and pulling hard enough practically paralyzed her. Then there were also her ears, and the fact that the feline in her enjoyed being petted so much, that if someone stroked her ears or tail long enough she would fall asleep. Nozomi had always vowed never to let anyone -especially not her enemies- find this out...but somehow Naruto had when they were younger...and he always used it to his advantage. ALWAYS.

"I said let go!" she demanded, taking her kunai and stabbing the clone with it, sending him poofing away and freeing her tail.

"Hey, Nozo-chaaan! Over here!"

"Nyaa?!" The cat girl glanced up and jumped away, high into the air just as one of the clones attempted to body slam her.

"Hah! Is that the best you've got?" Nozomi did some quick, complicated hand signs. "Say your prayers, boys!" Her face turned serious. "Ice Twister: Two Hit Strike!" The cat girl grinned with satisfaction as a huge twister made of ice shards appeared, causing the rest of the clones to poof away, and she knelt down, panting hard. That jutsu consumed a lot of her chakra, and she usually couldn't move much afterward. However, thanks to all the training and experience she'd gotten, Nozomi was no longer completely rendered immobile, and could move a little, even in spite of the massive chakra her jutsu consumed, as long as she had at least 5 seconds to catch her breath afterward. "Hah, you'll have to do a lot better than that, Naruto-kun!"

"I'm just getting started!"

"What the?!-" Nozomi glanced up to see Naruto, hurtling toward her, a spiral of intense blue chakra in his hand.

'Why didn't I sense him coming before?! Was I really THAT distracted by all those clones?!' Nozomi frowned, watching the boy. 'Darn it, he KNOWS it's difficult for me to move after using the Ice twister, so he put me in a situation that forced me to use it!...Looks like the fight's over, now.'

"Rasengan!"

Nozomi squeezed her eyes shut tight as the giant sphere of chakra hit her, and the impact of the blow sent her flying backward into a tree. She hit the tree with such force, it snapped and fell to the ground, taking Nozomi with it.

The cat girl's eyes fluttered, then rolled back on her head, her body resting limply against the fallen tree.

Naruto sweatdropped when she didn't move, and he hurried over to her. "Nozo-chan? Are you alright?! Nozomi!"

--

"It's time, finally!" Feline eyes grew large with excitement as a final blast of power was fired, and the final iron bar that represented Nozomi's will broke in two. "Kubota! You won't contain me any longer!"

--

"Nozomi! Nozomi, can you hear me?...I guess I'll have to then..."

Nozomi's eyes flew open as she felt a pair of warm lips on hers, and her body stiffened. "Naruto-kun...!" she moaned, her words muffled as she fought to break away from him.

"Wha?" Naruto pulled away, and his face broke into a wide grin as he saw the girl glowering at him. "Nozo-chan, you're awake! I'm so glad.."

"Yeah, sure, I'm fine." Nozomi sighed, getting up and brushing herself off. She scowled at the blond boy in front of her, folding her arms across her chest. "Mou, Naruto-kun! I lose conscious for five minutes, and try to make out with me?! Honestly, you should've known it's not ok!...Or at least you should've known not to try until I was awake and could defend myself!"

"What?! Hey!" A light tint of red spread across Naruto's face. "I was not making out with you! I was TRYING to give you CPR! I swear!"

Nozomi rolled her eyes, heaving a sigh. "Well it sure didn't seem like that to ME...whatever."

"I told you, I was trying to give you CPR! At least, that's what it was supposed to be!" A few minutes went by and Naruto's face relaxed into a smile as he grabbed the cat girl's waist and drew her close to him. "This, however, is not CPR!"

Before Nozomi could try to pull away or protest, the boy had claimed her lips with his in a deep kiss. The cat girl felt her face heat up as she kissed him back just as passionately, deepening the kiss. She was just sliding her arms around his neck when a sharp pain in her head caused her to break the kiss, and she staggered backward, falling onto the ground.

Naruto stared down at the girl in surprise before taking her hand and helping her up. "Are you ok?" he asked worriedly.

Nozomi winced and rested her head in the palm of her hand. "I'm fine...I just had this sharp pain come into my head from nowhere!" she answered softly, her voice weak.

Naruto frowned guiltily. "Oh, yeah...sorry about that, Nozo-chan...you hit that tree with your head pretty hard." he sighed. "Let's go and see Sakura and make sure you're ok...alright?"

Normally, Nozomi would have argued against getting help, but right now she felt so weak..so tired,, so...ughh. The cat girl nodded and followed behind Naruto. However, another sharp pain, this one worse than the last, caused her to stop walking, and she put both hands on her head, screaming loudly.

"Nozo-chan! What's wrong?!" Naruto spun quickly to face the cat girl, his eyes filled with guilt and worry. What if his attack had caused brain damage?! He'd never be able to forgive himself!

'I've got to stop getting so excited during our training sessions together!' he thought, slapping himself mentally. 'I just can't help myself, she's so good, and she doesn't hold back...It makes me want to go all out too...'

"Nozomi!"

Nozomi didn't answer. She couldn't. It felt like she was being strangled, it was getting so hard to breathe!

'Kubota...it's time.'

Nozomi inhaled sharply in surprise, choking as she heard the deep velvety voice speak in her head.

'Kumoraku?! This is YOUR doing?!' her mind demanded angrily.

The voice spoke again, laughing. 'Indeed it is, Kubota...I've broken down all the bars of your will...so you can no longer keep me in check...I'm coming out, now.'

'No! NOOOOOOO!'

"Nozo-chan!" Naruto watched in shock as the cat girl staggered backward, away from him and dropped to her hands and knees, head hanging weakly.

"Naruto...get...away...from...here...!" she said weakly before crying out in pain again and collapsing onto the ground.

"Nozomi!" Naruto hurried over to her. "What is it?! Does your head hurt that bad? I'm sorry! Here, if it helps, I'll carry you to Sakura- you don't have to walk!" Naruto was just crouching down to pick her up when a small chuckle was heard.

"Ufufufu..."

"Nozomi?" Naruto stared at the brunette in confusion, backing away a little. Something felt wrong. Very wrong. He watched as the cat girl got swiftly to her feet, head lowered. "...Naruto-kun."

Naruto blinked and did a double take. That was NOT Nozomi's voice! Not the Nozomi he knew! The boy's eyes grew slightly larger, and he backed away slightly. "You," he spoke aloud, staring at the girl's face, which was covered in shadows, "You're Nozomi's inner demon."

At this, "Nozomi" lifted her head, smirking evilly at the now stunned looking boy. Her eyes, once a golden yellow were now blood red, with only a small sliver of yellow in them. Her fangs, once small and pointed were now razor sharp, and jagged, extending down to her lower jaw.

Her ears, usually kept pressed back now stood straight up, revealing the points, almost sharp in appearance. Her tail was twice as bushy, the Hidden Leaf headband having come untied and fallen off, and to top it off, her short, claw-like fingernails were now 6 inch long razor blade sharp claws, as were her toenails.

"You...what ARE you?!" Naruto demanded, staring in stunned speechlessness at the drastic change in Nozomi's appearance.

The demon possessed Nozomi gave a wide grin, exposing her large fangs as she answered, her voice deep and velvety.

"Just call me Kumoraku..."

Kumoraku." Naruto repeated solemnly, his eyes hard. "Sorry to tell you, but I'm not going to let you keep Nozo-chan's body...I'm going to stop you no matter what it takes!"

"Try all you want, but you won't be able to defeat me!" Kumoraku sneered, smirking. Her eyes lit up. "Thank you for the reminder, though!"

"Reminder of WHAT?" Naruto demanded, watching the demon warily.

Kumoraku didn't answer. Just then, quick as a bullet, one of her arms shot out, and there was a sickening cracking sound as she thrust her hand through the right side of Naruto's chest.

Naruto's eyes widened, and he screamed in agony as the demon's long claws pierced through his back, then pulled away, leaving a huge, gaping hole in his chest. "Wh--why--?" he sputtered, collapsing onto his knees, scowling up at the demon possessed Nozomi as he struggled with the pain in his chest.

Kumoraku scowled back. "That was a clever maneuver, moving just before I could get your heart..." she paused. "Why'd I do it? Because, you told me -no, that Kubota brat- that she had your heart for life...Now I'm taking it!" The girl licked the blood that covered her hand, a sinister grin on her face. "Oh well, I'll just try again! I can only miss so many times, you know!"

The demon grinned at the angry disbelief she saw in Naruto's face. "Ah, you're still hoping to rescue that miserable little Kubota wretch? Well then, I'll just have to give you proof she no longer has hope of returning." Without another word, Kumoraku ripped the silver bell from her neck, and closed her hand around it and squeezing tightly. A moment later, she opened her hand again to reveal a very smashed, caved in looking bell. "She's not coming back...so there's no use hanging on to something YOU gave her." Giving an evil laugh, Kumoraku flung the now destroyed bell over her shoulder, onto the ground.

Naruto just watched, eyes full of rage. That bell was special. He'd given it to Nozomi when they were younger, back when they were more or less friends...Nozomi had always worn it, even after he went away for a few years...and now, all the memories in it...Kumoraku had just smashed them up and thrown them away like they were nothing! "You...monster...!" Naruto's eyes bulged as it got harder and harder to breathe, and he began to feel as though someone had their hand locked around his throat, strangling him. 'No!' the boy thought desperately, 'I CAN'T die-- not yet! I still have to become Hokage, and--...I have to stop Nozomi--I mean, Kumoraku!...It's getting hard to breathe...Kyuubi, please, HELP! '

There was a brief pause then another deeper voice answered. 'Honestly, can't you ever win ONE fight without my help? Of course not...fine. I'll lend you my powers, but you'd better be grateful!'

"What's this?" Kumoraku took a step back as a thick, bubbling red chakra surrounded Naruto, and the wound in his chest was healed, closing up completely.

"Ahh...Kyuubi, was it? I see you took pity and spared the kid's life." Kumoraku sneered. "How very noble of you to do so." she smirked evilly as suddenly she found herself face to face with Naruto, and she took notice of his crimson eyes and enlarged fangs.

"Don't think THAT will be enough to save you, though!" Kumoraku shot a blast of chakra shaped almost like a blade at Naruto, and he jumped away.

The fox possessed Naruto landed a few feet away, balanced on all fours. He barely had a chance to catch his breath before Kumoraku, also on all fours lunged at him, and he leapt away, just barely dodging her razor sharp claws. As he dodged, the fox's chakra barrier around him lashed out, striking Kumoraku on the back of the head, and the force of the blow plowed her into the ground.

'Here's my chance!' Naruto crouched 8 feet away from the fallen "Nozomi", and did some quick hand signs. However, before he could summon up the chakra to use the jutsu, Kumoraku jumped to her feet and tore away, now standing at least 20 feet away from him.

'Darn it! I need her to stay put!' Naruto thought frustratedly. 'If I could just keep her distracted for a while...maybe my clones could do it...I'll need a lot of them, though...oh well, it's worth a shot!'

Naruto put his fingers together in the proper sign and closed his eyes in concentration. "Multi shadow clone jutsu!" Instantly the field was once again, covered in Naruto clones as it had been earlier during training. Naruto pointed a finger at Kumoraku, who was eying all the clones, an eyebrow raised in amusement. "Attack!"

The minute these words left his mouth, all the clones took off running toward Kumoraku at an intense, almost impossible to acquire speed. Naruto waited a minute while they all attacked Kumoraku, watching for the opportune moment to move in and retry the jutsu that Tsunade had given him.

"You think clones can help you?!" Kumoraku gave an amused chuckle as she lashed out, sending 5 clones poofing away. "Not even a THOUSAND clones can stop me!" The demon grinned evilly as she did the hand signs required for the Ice Twister.

Naruto, deciding this was his chance to act, slowly made his way toward the possessed Nozomi. He made sure he was within 10 feet of her, before quickly launching into his own series of hand signs. 'I sure hope this works!' he thought, sighing inwardly with relief as he finally finished performing all the signs. "Oni Shoukin jutsu!" he bellowed loudly, smirking as Kumoraku suddenly turned and glared at him.

Just then, the chakra Naruto had used for the jutsu began to surround him, and his hands became engulfed with a blinding, yellow-ish white light, nearly blinding both him and the demon. The blond haired boy looked in amazement at his hands. 'So THAT'S why the jutsu needs so much chakra to work!' he realized, 'It creates this "light chakra" from MY chakra..and that must be what I use to defeat the demon!'

Just then, the blinding light surrounded Kumoraku, and she was surprised to find that she couldn't pass through it. It had her trapped. "What IS this stuff?!" the demon demanded, annoyed.

'What was the next step?' Naruto tried to remember. 'Oh yeah! Combine the "light chakra" with your chakra and attack!'

"I'll do this my way!" Naruto summoned a couple clones and they began working to form a huge spiral of blue-ish (though against the "light chakra" it appeared green-ish) chakra ball. Then, sending the clones away, Naruto tore across the field, quickly closing the distance between them. "Rasengan!" Naruto pounded the spinning ball of chakra into Kumoraku's chest, and she was sent flying backwards. Then, before she could get to her feet, Naruto was in front of her, smirking.

"Game over, Kumoraku, I win!" He reached out, hands still enshrouded with "light chakra", and picked the girl up off the ground, lifting her by the cuff of her jacket.

Kumoraku just glared at the boy. "You may have won for now, but I WILL be back! It may be powerful, but your so called 'permanent' jutsu only works if you stay within 10 feet of my host at all times, even overnight." she smirked cruelly. "That is something you can't very well do, you know..."

Naruto blushed faintly at the demon's words, but he kept his hold on her. "I don't care WHAT I have to do! You're never coming out again!" He paused. 'What was that last thing I was supposed to do?...Oh yeah!'

"You better say your prayers, Kumoraku!" Suddenly, with speed that not even the cat demon could avoid, Naruto balled up a fist and socked her squarely in the ribs! The boy winced, hearing a cracking sound, and he prayed Nozomi wouldn't hurt too much later on.

Kumoraku flinched, but smirked still. "You think breaking my ribs will stop me?!"

Naruto winced at the confirmed damage. 'Ahh...sorry, Nozo-chan!'

"You're gonna have to do better than that!"- No sooner had she said this, then her eyes began to flicker back and forth between blood red and golden yellow.

Naruto dropped her to the ground, on her knees, covering his ears as she let out a bloodcurdling scream. "No! You wretch, you're NOT going to contain me again! I won't allow it! What...NO!" Then, without any warning, the demon collapsed, unconscious.

'There, it's finished.' said Kyuubi in Naruto's mind. 'You're lucky the 4th saw fit to have me sealed in you...or you'd be long dead by now.'

Naruto heaved a shaky sigh as his eyes faded from crimson back to blue, and the chakra shield around him dissipated. 'Nozo-chan...please be ok...' he thought as he collapsed next to the girl, exhausted.

--

"How DARE he!!"

Nozomi grinned smugly at Kumoraku's thoughts, glad for once that they could commune through their minds if they chose to. The enraged demon's thoughts were hilarious! She was indescribably furious, once again locked up behind the bars of her will, which had been reconstructed and were re-enforced by a blazing shield of chakra that varied in color from blue to red.

"Well, Bakaneko, what happened?" Nozomi asked with mock surprise. "I thought you were never gonna give control back to me again!...At least, that's what you SAID."

"Shut up, you wretch!" The beast lunged at Nozomi, but the chakra supported bars sent her flying backward. Kumoraku glowered at the cat girl as she snickered softly.

"What's the matter? Is your will not strong enough against mine anymore?"

"Don't make me laugh!" Kumoraku snarled. "Alone, your will is pathetic! I can bust through it in 30 minutes." The cat demon's eyes filled with unmistakable hatred. "It's that boyfriend of yours. Naruto! He used a jutsu that gives him control over both of our chakra...I can't do a thing as long as he's at least 10 feet near you at all times.."

Nozomi's eyes widened, and she felt her face heat up slightly. "He...he did that? ..But why? I told him to get away...it was too dangerous..."

Kumoraku growled in disgust under her breath as she said, "Apparently YOU were more important to him than his own safety." she scowled at the cat girl as she saw her eyes beginning to shine, her face red. "Ok, those thoughts of yours dealing with him...I don't want to hear them anymore! Get out of here! NOW!"

--

"....Naruto..?" Nozomi's eyes slowly opened and she glanced around. The cat girl winced as she tried to sit up, a sharp pain shot through her ribs, and she was forced to remain sprawled in the grass. "Naruto..." The brunette turned, ignoring the pain this caused her, as she saw the blond haired boy unconscious, just a few inches away from her. His was was bruised, covered in dirt, and his clothes torn, stained with blood around his chest.

The sight of this filled the cat girl's eyes with tears as she tried to imagine what a rough battle had taken place, and how much he must have endangered his life to save hers. "Naruto-kun..." she tried to sit up again, only to have the same pain shoot through her ribs, and she gave up, inching a little closer to him instead.

"Naruto-kun, thank you. Knowing you...you must have put up quite a fight...cause never giving up no matter what...and not going back on your promise...that's your ninja way, right?"

Nozomi smiled, blushing slightly as she turned to face his, and lightly kissed him on the cheek. Then, exhaustion overpowering her, the cat girl slipped into unconsciousness again, welcoming the hazy, black oblivion that beckoned to her...

--

When Nozomi opened her eyes again, she was surprised to find she was not in the training field, but in fact, in the hospital, laying in a bed with bandages binding her from her chest down to her ribs. She glanced around the room and was only slightly surprised to see Naruto in the bed adjacent to hers. Of course, he'd want to be with her, knowing him and his persistent ways. What DID surprise her was that the 5th Hokage was also in the room, and she was talking to the blond haired boy in a low, hard to understand voice.

Nozomi flinched, trying not to yelp at the pain this caused her ribs, as she gazed at Naruto. He was wrapped in bandages from his shoulder down to his chest, and there was also a bandage on the right side of his face. The cat girl groaned at the pain she felt, unable to resist wondering what Naruto had had to do to her in order to stop her demon.

"You're awake."

Nozomi glanced up, startled, as she realized Tsunade was hovering over her. When had she stopped talking with Naruto? "Oh...5th Hokage..." she mumbled, not in the mood to call Tsunade any of the rude names she usually would.

Tsunade raised an eyebrow, then motioned to Naruto, who was sitting up in his bed, listening intently. "I'm sure you're aware of it, but Naruto saved your life. He used the Oni Shoukin jutsu, which enabled him to control both you and your demon's chakra."

Nozomi nodded, remembering the chat she'd had with her inner demon earlier. "It gives him permanent control as long as he stays at least 10 feet close to me, right?"

"How did you know that?" Tsunade demanded.

Nozomi gave a toothy grin. "My demon, Kumoraku wasn't too happy about being locked up again." she explained.

"I see." Tsunade paused. "Well then, since you already know about the 10 feet rule, you'll understand why I'm ordering you to stay that close to Naruto at all times, then."

Nozomi sweatdropped. "Uh, you know, I CAN hold out against Kumoraku for a half hour...so..heh...uhh.."

"I don't care!" Tsunade snapped. "I don't want to take any chances of you losing control again and causing trouble in the village!" she sighed. "You stay near Naruto at all times, no exceptions. That's a direct order from the Hokage!"

Nozomi gulped quietly. "But..uh.....with all do respect, that's impossible...cause...I don't exactly live close by him...heh..."

Tsunade sighed again, looking as if she was beginning to get a headache. "Well then, I guess that just can't be helped..."

"So you won't make me stick with him at all times?" Nozomi heaved a sigh of relief. "Oh, g-"

"So, you'll just have to move in with him."

"Or that works too-" Nozomi's eyes bulged as she realized what had just been said, and her face turned a light shade of red. "Wait--WHAAAAAT?!"

Tsunade put a hand on her head, rubbing her temples in annoyance. Ok, now she definitely had a headache. "It shouldn't be a problem for you...he IS your boyfriend, right?"

Nozomi nodded, blushing hard now. "B-but--, 5th Hokage, that would be so awkw-"

"Then you'll move into his place...unless-" As she spoke, the blonde haired woman produced a small scroll from her pocket- "you're still considering the alternative." This said, she handed the scroll to the cat girl.

Nozomi froze as her eyes scanned the writing on it. "...The extraction jutsu." she said, suddenly feeling weak; sick to her stomach.

"Grandma Tsunade! You never said anything about the visitor bringing THAT, too!" Naruto shouted, nearly falling out of bed from shock.

Nozomi frowned at his words. "Visitor...?" she questioned, looking seriously at the Hokage, curiosity in her golden eyes.

Not in the mood to answer, Tsunade held up a hand for both the ninja to stop. Then she looked seriously at Nozomi. "You can either obey my orders and move in with Naruto, or use the jutsu." she said grimly. "As much as I'd prefer you don't, I can't stop you if death is really your heart's desire. Just don't expect anyone from the Leaf to assist in the execution of you DO use the jutsu." she looked away, locking eyes with a stunned, hurt looking Naruto. "Sorry, Naruto...but it's her decision to make. Not yours."

Nozomi frowned as she felt Naruto's gaze on her, and she glanced up -immediately wishing she hadn't. His face, usually lit up and enthusiastic was solemn, his eyes damp, clouded with what could only be described as fear; fear of her possibly choosing death over him. Nozomi's lips parted as she gave a small smile to him, trying to cheer him up.

If not for what all had taken place weeks ago, she might very well have chosen death over him...but that was before Naruto had told her what all she truly meant to him. She wasn't just some girl he toyed with and teased by bringing romantic, embarrassing thoughts to her head when he felt like it. He really cared...he WASN'T Suoh, who had failed to see the good in her. He really cared for her. Nozomi sighed inwardly. Besides all that...

'These last four weeks have been some of the hardest, happiest times of my life..' she thought, smiling, 'I think I've really grown so attached to Naruto-kun, so used to being around him...I don't want to leave him. I don't think I could go through with it, after all he's done, and all we've been through. No...I won't leave him.' The cat girl gave a soft sigh before looking up at Tsunade, who was impatiently awaiting her decision.

"..Ok. I, um...I'm gonna stay..with Naruto-kun..." she held out the scroll. "So you can have this back."

Tsunade smirked. "Good. I'll just have this locked away, then. WE have no use for it, and without the directions...hopefully the Kubota clan will be forced to find a new way to deal with any future demon infested children." she paused, turning and walking to the door. "Anyways, once you've recovered enough, you are to move your things to Naruto's place immediately." Without saying another word, or even giving the two patients a chance to respond, the 5th Hokage left the room quickly.

"She sure seemed to be in a hurry." Naruto said observantly.

Nozomi chuckled, wincing at how much that hurt her ribs. "Well duh! We were keeping her from her sake!"

Naruto couldn't help but snicker. "Hopefully she gets to it before Shizune finds it!"

Nozomi laughed, nodding. Then the room fell silent.

"You can call it silly if you want, "Naruto said after a moment, "but I was actually kinda scared you might decide to use the extraction jutsu....." he paused, getting up and taking a seat on Nozomi's bed, grinning down at her. "I'm glad you didn't."

Nozomi frowned slightly. "I could kinda tell you were, cause your eyes were so dark." she dropped her voice to just above a whisper. "Naruto-kun...I'll never leave...unless you make me."

"Do you promise, Nozo-chan?" Naruto asked, holding out his pinky finger for her to swear on.

Nozomi resisted the urge to slap her forehead and she sighed inwardly, letting a small chuckle escape her. Naruto may be older, but he was still so childish at times! She nodded and hooked pinkies with him, careful not to scratch him with her claw. "I promise. Pinky swear." she said softly. "I'm yours for as long as you'll let me be."

Naruto snickered after a short pause. "Well then, I guess you're gonna HAVE to marry me then!" he smirked.

Nozomi groaned, blushing faintly and smacking herself mentally for having said anything to trigger this reaction. "Naruto-kun, PLEASE! I only just barely turned 16 today! Don't bug me with talk about marriage!"

"Oh, that's right....fine." Naruto agreed, grudgingly. "But only because it's your birthday today."

Nozomi sighed in relief, silently praying he wouldn't bring the subject up again tomorrow.

"Oh, that reminds me." Naruto pulled out a small box and handed it to the cat girl. "Here, for you."

"Nya?" Curious, Nozomi opened it and peered inside, blinking in surprise at the familiar silver bell on a silver chain that rested inside. "My...bell...?" she said aloud, looking slightly confused.

Naruto gave her a wry grin. "Sorta. You see, Kumoraku kinda destroyed your old one earlier...so here's a new one."

Nozomi just stared at the boy, frowning. "Thank you...but it's not quite the s-"

"Please wear it, Nozo-chan!" Naruto interrupted her. "I have to keep a bell on you, so the other guys know you belong to me!"

Nozomi blushed at his words. "You sound like you're talking about your pet." she pointed out, then sighed softly. "How is a bell going to tell them I'm yours, though?"

"Look very closely at it!" Naruto urged, a sly grin on his face.

"Hmmm? Well, ok.." Nozomi did as she was told, and her face got even redder. Carefully engraved into the bell in bold letters were the words: "Property of Naruto Uzumaki. Don't touch!"

"I see..." The cat girl put the bell down on the bed, still blushing, but unable to hold back the laughter that was bubbling up in the back of her throat. "Y-yeah, that should do the trick, I guess!" she managed to say amidst her laughter.

Naruto's grin widened now. "So, you want some help putting it on?"

Nozomi's blush darkened at the thought of running around in a bell that might as well be a collar and license now, as the only thing missing was Naruto's address. After a moment's hesitation, she nodded slightly. "Ah, sure...why not?"

Naruto carefully helped her sit up, being gentle so as not to cause her too much pain. Then he positioned the silver chained bell around her delicate neck, sliding the clasp into place. "There. All set. Do you wanna lay back down now?" he asked. "I'm sure sitting up like this must really hurt...with your broken ribs...heh, sorry about that..."

Nozomi gave a weak shake of her head. "Ah, no..I'll only fall asleep again if I lay back down...and I don't want that."

"Nozo-chan, you already said you were up late last night," Naruto said, suddenly serious. "...and to top it off, Kumoraku gave your body a serious workout, today. Between those two, you should be exhausted! Which is why I'm going to insist that you rest some more."

"No! I don't want to!" Nozomi protested, but Naruto, stubbornly persistent as always, was already pushing her back against the bed, and was stroking her cat ears gently.

Nozomi growled under her breath, mentally cursing im for knowing her weakness, as well as herself for having such a weakness.

Naruto smiled as her shoulders relaxed, and she fell back against the pillow willingly, her eyes beginning to flutter. "That's right, kitty," he snickered quietly, "Sleep, and we'll talk some more when you're a little more rested." he said softly, still lightly stroking her soft, velvety ears.

Nozomi opened her mouth to threaten him, to bluff that if he didn't stop she'd use the extraction jutsu...but nothing came out except for a small purr, which caused her to blush faintly. Darn that Naruto, he'd made her too drowsy to speak! Sleep was already beginning to overtake her. He'd won the argument, and he most likely knew it.

'Oh well, I'll have plenty of chances to get him back later.'' the cat girl thought as her eyes began to close. 'Since I'll be living in the same place as him...I'll have lots of chances to..get...him...good...Zzz..'

Naruto smiled as the cat girl's eyes shut completely, and she began to purr, out cold from the look of it.

"Sweet dreams, Nozo-chan."

Naruto stopped stroking her ears and crawled into his bed, deciding it best for him to get some rest too while the opportunity presented itself. After all, he knew that when Nozomi woke up, there'd be no sleeping, because she was very likely to be yelling at him for putting her to sleep. Naruto sighed as he closed his eyes, one last thought running through his weary mind. 'I'm so glad it all worked out...maybe you can't hear me, but...thank you, Hiroko.'

Now the black oblivion overtook him, and he fell into a deep sleep. In spite of this, there was a smile on his face that echoed his happy thanks as he slept, dreaming of the days that were to come. Nozomi would move in with him, and he would be responsible to keep her demon restrained, save for 30 minutes each day that she'd use for personal alone time...but still. It was safe to say that if Nozomi had still been playing hard to get with him, she would've had to stop now. Running wouldn't be an option anymore...unless she wanted to have a very angry Hokage on her tail.

The grin on Naruto's face widened even more, almost as if he was dreaming of all this. Yes, the next few days would be very interesting, indeed.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

SatomiTakashida on January 3, 2010, 9:58:42 AM

SatomiTakashida on
SatomiTakashidaso, EPIC...*dies*